Were you at the grand opening of any Disney theme parks?

Laura

Original Poster
I went to MGM Studios the month it opened (May 1989) and went to Typhoon Lagoon the week it opened (June 1989). I don't really remember much about either day (I was only 7).

Just wondering what opening have you been to, and what are they like? Any big celebrations or anything? Is it neat to experience everything when it's brand new?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I have never done any of the ceremonial grand openings I did get to go to AK before it officially opened. It was April of 98 I believe. Bugs Life wasn't open yet, Asia did not exist and the park was nearly deserted. There were more cast members in Dinosaur than there were guests. My girlfriend and I were the only 2 people on the jeep when we did KS.

DCL

Master Yoda said:
While I have never done any of the ceremonial grand openings I did get to go to AK before it officially opened. It was April of 98 I believe. Bugs Life wasn't open yet, Asia did not exist and the park was nearly deserted. There were more cast members in Dinosaur than there were guests. My girlfriend and I were the only 2 people on the jeep when we did KS.

I was there during that time too. I actually watched the official opening ceremony from my hotel room. But yeah, that was way back when Dinosaur was still Countdown to Extinction... ahhh... memories :lol:

There was absolutely no one in the park. We rode the safari maybe three times one day... and we just kept going on Dinosaur over and over again, with no wait at all. I remember that the photos they took were all blurry and some of them missed the cars completely... so I guess they were working out all their little kinks on us! Either way, it was great to have the AK pretty much to ourselves!

Captain Hank

I stayed in All-Star Movies the night it opened. There wasn't a huge celebration or anything, but there was something rare and unbelievable--Disney was handing out free things! Guests who checked in that night received a commemerative medal, shaped like Mickey's head with the All-Star logo in the center, and an All-Star Resorts pin. I've definately held on to those. Also, that night and the next day they were handing out free popcorn and lemonade outside the entrance to the check-in building. It was really cool to be the first guests to sleep in the room.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dreamflight4Eva said:
I was there during that time too. I actually watched the official opening ceremony from my hotel room. But yeah, that was way back when Dinosaur was still Countdown to Extinction... ahhh... memories :lol:

There was absolutely no one in the park. We rode the safari maybe three times one day... and we just kept going on Dinosaur over and over again, with no wait at all. I remember that the photos they took were all blurry and some of them missed the cars completely... so I guess they were working out all their little kinks on us! Either way, it was great to have the AK pretty much to ourselves!
The first time I rode Countdown the jeep lost its signal so it didn’t rock left or right, forward or backward it just stayed level and followed the track. When I got to the end the castmember told me what happened and asked if I wanted to go again. Not knowing or caring what this carrier signal did I said sure. I got the surprise of my life when that jeep started moving that time. :eek:

DCL

Master Yoda said:
The first time I rode Countdown the jeep lost its signal so it didn’t rock left or right, forward or backward it just stayed level and followed the track. When I got to the end the castmember told me what happened and asked if I wanted to go again. Not knowing or caring what this carrier signal did I said sure. I got the surprise of my life when that jeep started moving that time. :eek:

:lol: Definately... the first time I went on Countdown.. it was like nothing I had ever been on. I couldn't get enough of it... but man... at the end they had the Carnotaurus come down right when we were being taken through time... scared the crap outta me! Because of that... I'm always afraid at the end of the ride :lol: even though he hasn't been around the past few times I've ridden.... does he still come out? Or was it too scary for the younger kids.... and me.... :lookaroun ???

DonnieDarko

I attended the first preview day at DAK. Only thing I liked in the park was Bug.

I rode Tower and Splash on their first weeks of operation.

I went to DCA a month after it first opened. Definitly the most exciting new park experience I ever had.

As far as Universal goes, I went into IOA before the Dudley Do Right ride was even vertical.

I also was the first person to ever ride Revenge of The Mummy

There may be more but I can't think right now

Laura

Original Poster
Wow the first person to ever ride Revenge of the Mummy? That's crazy!

I wonder if someone from here will be the first person in line for Soarin on opening day. If I lived in Orlando I would sure try to be!

maelstrom

I was at Universal Studios Florida on opening day. Nothing worked right and they offered a ticket to come back another day, but you had to turn in your opening day ticket. :( We rode something (maybe the Hanna-Barbarra ride) with Dennis Franz.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was at the opening day of Disneyland Paris (then called EuroDisney) in 1992.

I stayed at a hotel in Paris and because of issues with the train strike on opening day, I saw the hot air balloon launch at opening from behind the park from the window of a bus. Once I got there I ended up in the line to buy my ticket while Eisner and Roy Disney were doing the actual opening dedication from Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Outside of the train strike issue, I didn't notice any major operational problems at all. The park was absolutely beautiful as were all of the resorts and Festival Disney (old name of Downtown Disney).

I ended up going back again the following summer and stayed at the Sequioa Lodge which was absolutely beautiful. Again, the park was absolutely beautiful and was already expanding. The Storybook Canal was under construction, as was the Indiana Jones coaster.

LilDucky

I also went to DCA the first month it opened. Funny thing is that it also happens to be the last time Ive been there. That will probably be the case for a long time, even when I visit DL later this year.... :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
donsullivan said:

Outside of the train strike issue, I didn't notice any major operational problems at all..

Eisner later joked this was the first Disney park where nothing went 101 on the first day open to the public!

We did Universal Studios Florida in June 1990. We also got free passes to come back since it was so bad, but ours were open ended. I think an uncle used them in 1994 (thanks dad.....)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
donsullivan said:

Outside of the train strike issue, I didn't notice any major operational problems at all..

Eisner later joked this was the first Disney park where nothing went 101 on the first day open to the public!

We did Universal Studios Florida in June 1990. We also got free passes to go back since it was so bad. I think an uncle used them in 1994 (thanks dad.....)

Figment1986

hmm... Mk... hmm 1986??

Epcot.. hmmm 1986...

MGm... hmmm too young.. but my mom & sister were there within first 3 months...

AK... Ya right... i was in school and caught it on the news when i got home... or before i left.. i forget...

Park 5... Heck yes i will be there... (if their will be a park 5..)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dreamflight4Eva said:
:lol: Definately... the first time I went on Countdown.. it was like nothing I had ever been on. I couldn't get enough of it... but man... at the end they had the Carnotaurus come down right when we were being taken through time... scared the crap outta me! Because of that... I'm always afraid at the end of the ride :lol: even though he hasn't been around the past few times I've ridden.... does he still come out? Or was it too scary for the younger kids.... and me.... :lookaroun ???
Yeah he is still there. I have been on countdown countless times and it still scares me every time. :eek:

gboiler1

Sorry, I'm another one that can't say I was there at the beginning.

However, I was 9 in December 1971, the first "Christmas" (December) at WDW. The reports were the traffic was horrible and you would be lucky to get in. From what I remember and was told we didn't have the big issue getting in but the waits were incredible. Don't recall how long we were there, basically the day, but we visited Mickey Mouse Revue, Small World (disappointed the exterior wasn't the same we came to love in California), Hall of Presidents & Country Bear Jamboree where we waited at least 2 hours in line. My Dad says we waited 2 hours to get lunch (he can exagerate a bit, but he's probably close) and I recall the "crush" of people.

I would like to hear from someone else who was older and recalls those first few months.

it398

I was at WDW during the opening of disney's Animal Kingdom. We visited the park a couple of times before it opened on what they called a "sneak preview" i remember dinsaur was called countdown to extinsion, and i remember watching the festival of the lion king, when the "monkeys" kept triping over their tails so when they came on later they were all dressed in red leotards, not costumes. i also saw one acrobat miss his landing and hurt his leg so he stood at one side acting like a monkey and limped off when the others had finished, he never came back on again at the end. We watched part of the opening cermony on the TV and then decided to see if we could get into the park. we were one of the last cars allowed in before they closed it because it was full, were we lucky or what. we looked around the shops and watched the Pochantas show which was not on during the previews. it was great to see all the TV crews set up around the tree of life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom