Welp...that seals the deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCheatle

I was considering taking my Christmas bonus and suprising the family with a February trip to WDW. I was really on the fence about it because I just didn't know about taking time off and if my kids would enjoy the cooler temperatures in Florida in February (compared to when we usually go - May or September). However, when I saw the news today that Splash Mountain would be down that sealed the deal for me!! My daughter would absolutely die if that ride was not open for our trip!! I guess we won't be visiting the world again until later!!

What ride referb would be enough for you to postpone your trip?

bucklepants

For the record, I didn't "cancel" a trip. I never booked one. I just decided not to book one during a time when I know her favorite ride is down. IMO, might as well wait a few weeks and go when it's open. Wow!! I didn't expect this negative of a response!! o_O

And...I hope it was obvious that I didn't mean "die" in a literal sense - she is 6 and would be very upset if it wasn't open. I went in September 2010 when her then-favorite ride IASW was closed for refurb. At the time we booked, I didn't know it would be down. Once I found I it was down, I didn't cancel the trip. But, it was disappointing for her to not have her favorite ride open and had I known beforehand, I would have probably re-considered my dates. I'm a little surprised no one else seems think that's reasonable??

Now that I read your post a little better :oops: I would probably postpone a trip if my schedule allowed so I could go on my favorite ride. Cancel-no, postpone-probably.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

OP, I don't think anyone thought you meant die in a literal sense. IMO though, I'm so tired of people avoiding possible "disappointment." I feel really bad for the future generations b/c they are so catered to it's ridiculous in some respects. If my parents had a chance to take us when I was a kid, we would go, we never planned around refurbs. It is what it is. Yeah, there were times of disappointment, but you get over it and move on. You don't avoid a whole trip for it.

OP, if you want to postpone a trip, then postpone it. End of discussion.

Upvote 0

Britt

OP, I don't think anyone thought you meant die in a literal sense. IMO though, I'm so tired of people avoiding possible "disappointment." I feel really bad for the future generations b/c they are so catered to it's ridiculous in some respects. If my parents had a chance to take us when I was a kid, we would go, we never planned around refurbs. It is what it is. Yeah, there were times of disappointment, but you get over it and move on. You don't avoid a whole trip for it.

OP, if you want to postpone a trip, then postpone it. End of discussion.
But why set UP for that disappointment? I mean, if you know your favorite ride/rides are closed down...why would you intentionally set up a trip during that time? Why would you spend thousands of dollars on going RIGHT NOW, vs waiting until it's open??

It'd be one thing if she'd booked this trip, had it paid for, and then cancelled it. I can see where people would be like "HUH?" Why?"...but she's just asking if theres a ride anyone else would POSTPONE (not cancel) a trip for. Apparently, nobody else would. lol

There could be THAT said about the "right nows". Instead of waiting for and making the trip what someone wants it to be, they'll take what you can get, when they can get it. I dont see how she's catering to anything/anyone other then wanting to make sure that special, magical trip is everything that she and her family wants it to be....not just anything they can snag because they can snag it <3

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

But why set UP for that disappointment? I mean, if you know your favorite ride/rides are closed down...why would you intentionally set up a trip during that time? Why would you spend thousands of dollars on going RIGHT NOW, vs waiting until it's open??

It'd be one thing if she'd booked this trip, had it paid for, and then cancelled it. I can see where people would be like "HUH?" Why?"...but she's just asking if theres a ride anyone else would POSTPONE (not cancel) a trip for. Apparently, nobody else would. lol

There could be THAT said about the "right nows". Instead of waiting for and making the trip what someone wants it to be, they'll take what you can get, when they can get it. I dont see how she's catering to anything/anyone other then wanting to make sure that special, magical trip is everything that she and her family wants it to be....not just anything they can snag because they can snag it <3

The OP stated that they were on the fence about going in the first place even far before they saw that Splash was open, complaining about the weather, etc...which I have been to WDW in all the months they stated and it's not really a big deal. I've swam in Feb there bc it was in the 80s during the day, and whatnot. So they were making excuses even before the Splash thing even registered with them.
My problem and statement was that it's pretty ridiculous to cater to the kid for one trip out of apparently many they have gone on. There's always other trips where Splash would be open and fun. And people wonder why the upcoming generation acts so entitled. Sorry, but just my opinion. Would the OP rather have Splash not in refurb and be in really disappointing condition (which it is) and then have her kid upset over that b/c the ducks, etc on the boat at the end arent singing and look headless or Brer Rabbit isn't hopping, or there's gum stuck all over the place?

There's a point where we have to sit back and decide if selfishness is worth it? If I had a Christmas bonus that would allow me to go in Feb, you better bet your behind that I would be on a plane to WDW no matter what ride is down. And you had better bet that if it was my kids fave ride, they would be informed it was down, and yes they would be upset but that would NOT make them not want to go. It's all in how a kid is raised.

There are so many people that can't go to WDW or any vacation because they just don't have the means, etc. You had better bet if they were given the chance they would take it and not care about trivial crap.

As I stated previously, if she wants to postpone their trip, then that's OP's right. It just appears there are many on here that see it differently than OP.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

First of all, my purpose in starting this discussion was not to ask for suggestions for whether I should move my trip. As well, my purpose was not to complain about moving my dates, so I don't know why you are suggesting I need to "get over it and move on." There's nothing to "move on" from (except in the literal sense of "moving" my dates from February to April). My purpose was to start a new conversation with others about what their favorite shows, rides, etc. are and whether they would work trip around a refurb so that they could experience it instead of missing it. I did not intend to create soapbox for you to stand on and criticize my parenting choices or the parenting choices of others who decide to go to Disney World a few weeks later so that their child(ren) can have a more enjoyable experience. You may feel bad for future generations, I feel bad for you because clearly you have some things you need to "move on" from if you are taking such a simple discussion topic to such a broad and unfounded level of criticism on me and other parents. Second, this is a discussion I started and while you are welcome to end your contribution to this discussion, you have no right to end it for anyone else who wants to have input.

The audacity of some people!:confused:

First of all, you are taking this out of the context it was meant. I'm not berating you or telling you what to do.
Secondly, if you wanted to start a conversation on here about what peoples favorite rides etc are, then you needed to ask just that and leave the rest of the story out of it.

And I never ended the conversation for anyone. I was stating it for myself.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

We're leaving in 8 days and Fast Track is down until the end of the year. This is one of our favorite rides but we love so much in each park - there is not one ride closure that would keep us from canceling a WDW trip. Even if I was hurt and couldn't ride any rides; I would go for the food, people watching, and sites.

You mean Test Track, don't ya? ;)

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We always go in either January or February and we went 3 years without riding Splash once. Finally this past February it was open when we were there. I wouldn't 'not go' because of that. We'd probably only ride it once or twice anyways so it was no big deal to us.

Upvote 0
I don't know that I would cancel a trip if a ride went down for refurb after I had already paid but I may postpone a trip if I hadn't booked yet. I don't think it is "brat-itis" or a sense of entitlement. My family can only afford to go once a year if we are lucky so I try to make the most of that trip. If that means waiting a few months until a favorite ride is back from refurb that would be ok. I appreciate when a ride gets the love it deserves even if I have to postpone. As far as the fantasyland expansion for my family it is not a trade off for splash mountain. The expansion is great if you have a girl but there was not much done for little boys no matter how you twist it

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

We always go in either January or February and we went 3 years without riding Splash once. Finally this past February it was open when we were there. I wouldn't 'not go' because of that. We'd probably only ride it once or twice anyways so it was no big deal to us.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've been on Splash Mountain in several visits and it is open when we go. I love the dark ride portion, but the long wait and walking around damp afterward are so inconvenient.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Wow, I think folks are being a little hard on the OP here. If a ride is important enough to her (or her daughter) that she will move a trip b/c of it - so be it! I'm not sure how that has to do with the selfish/entitlement mentality we have today. Her daughter likes Splash Mountain and she moved the trip, there's not much more to it than that. If anything one could argue the child is getting a lesson in patience and planning (that's if we feel the need to comment on her parenting). It would be much worse if they never checked the refurb schedule, went on their trip, and then discovered their favorite ride down. It's those type of people that end up disappointed and complaining to guest services about refurbs!

She opened up an interesting discussion. For myself, no, there's not a ride or attraction that would cause me to cancel a trip but I have planned my trips around ride closures and such. If I can move a trip by a week or so to include a favorite ride that might otherwise be down I will do so. I've been disappointed many a time on a WDW trip (I was prepared for the disappointment but disappointed nonetheless) but I still have a great vacation and it's certainly never ruined a trip.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Splash goes down most every January for refurb. It is pretty cold to be getting splashed during that time period anyway.
But I've been on it in the winter and they can and do turn off alot of the jets. You'll barely get wet if any. Getting back to the topic I'd go and have. A few years back they had closed Pirates for a few weeks (it's my favorite ride) and I was. I was upset for a few minutes, but there are alot of other great rides I was fine.

Upvote 0

Avenger117

I don't think I would postpone a trip over one attraction closer, but maybe if multiple of my favorite attractions were close. I do understand someone not wanting to go if their favorite attraction was closed. I remember going to WDW when Space Mountain was closed for a long refurb and I was sooooo bummed. I just looked at the building and pouted for a minute haha.

Upvote 0

Britt

I don't think I would postpone a trip over one attraction closer, but maybe if multiple of my favorite attractions were close. I do understand someone not wanting to go if their favorite attraction was closed. I remember going to WDW when Space Mountain was closed for a long refurb and I was sooooo bummed. I just looked at the building and pouted for a minute haha.
HAHA, Right?? When we went, Expedition Everest was closed for an "indefinite amount of time" and I thought my husband might ACTUALLY cry (no, not really...lol, but he was so disappointed). Luckily, it opened back up and he was able to ride it.

Space Mountain might actually be a deal breaker for Josh as well...LOL

Upvote 0

Avenger117

HAHA, Right?? When we went, Expedition Everest was closed for an "indefinite amount of time" and I thought my husband might ACTUALLY cry (no, not really...lol, but he was so disappointed). Luckily, it opened back up and he was able to ride it.

Space Mountain might actually be a deal breaker for Josh as well...LOL

Yeah thats the worst! but sometimes its cool. The last time we were at MK, Big Thunder was down, but they opened it right when we walked up so we were first in line.

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

I wouldn't cancel a trip I had booked but if I hadn't booked a trip yet (and it seems you haven't), I would definitely consider moving the dates. I have my fav rides and while I could deal with not riding them during a trip, it would definitely be something I would miss. So I'd avoid it if I could! I don't think there is anything wrong with you deciding to go at a later date so that your daughter can have the happiest experience she can.

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

It's one ride and yes your daughter loves it...so postpone like you said! HOWEVER that being said - free dining is being offered during times during January, February and March....so if you postpone till April, wouldn't you lose out on that IF you were considering it? Just a thought! Either way hope you and your daughter have a blast!:)

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

My problem and statement was that it's pretty ridiculous to cater to the kid for one trip out of apparently many they have gone on. There's always other trips where Splash would be open and fun. And people wonder why the upcoming generation acts so entitled. Sorry, but just my opinion. Would the OP rather have Splash not in refurb and be in really disappointing condition (which it is) and then have her kid upset over that b/c the ducks, etc on the boat at the end arent singing and look headless or Brer Rabbit isn't hopping, or there's gum stuck all over the place
Why is it ridiculous to cater to a kid? The OP clearly loves his daughter and wants her happy. I don't think kids should be spoiled but I think it's fine when your going to spend thousands of dollars to go at a point when you know your kids will be happiest. If again, they had already booked the trip and were suddenly canceling because of one ride...I would probably find that ridiculous. But the trip hasn't been booked so what's wrong with changing the time of a trip to a time when it's open. People change their trip dates all the time for many different reasons. And to your question about "would the OP rather have Splash not be in refurb"... that's a pretty gross exaggeration and twist of words from the OP's original post. I don't think he ever gave any inclination that he wishes it weren't being refurbed or that it should never be refurbed as you seem to want to twist the argument into.
There's a point where we have to sit back and decide if selfishness is worth it? If I had a Christmas bonus that would allow me to go in Feb, you better bet your behind that I would be on a plane to WDW no matter what ride is down. And you had better bet that if it was my kids fave ride, they would be informed it was down, and yes they would be upset but that would NOT make them not want to go. It's all in how a kid is raised
Dude, come on, give me a break. Selfish is a pretty strong word to use in this context. He didn't even say that his kid wouldn't want to go to WDW because the ride was down. He's just choosing to go at a later time. There is another thing you just twisted. But now you seem to be insulting the way he is raising his child...key on the world "his". He decided that this wasn't the right time for his family and they'll go a later date. That could mean 2 months, 6 months, a year, whatever. Everyone has to decide to go on the date that is right for their family. This wasn't it for the OP. It's not even about money...though you seem to want to make it into a money thing. It's just about choosing the right time to go.
There are so many people that can't go to WDW or any vacation because they just don't have the means, etc. You had better bet if they were given the chance they would take it and not care about trivial crap
There are many many people that care about "trivial crap" in terms of their vacation. Why do you think people go at different times of the year than others? It could be a ride, a special offering from Disney, simply that they think the weather could be bad. I am sure if you listed all the reasons for the dates you choose to go to WDW, we could find some pretty "trivial crap" in there too. What's trivial to one person may not be to another as well. It's all relative.

It's true there are very many people who can't afford to go to Disney but again, you are making the original post into something way different that what it was about. Heck, for people who can only afford to go on that once in a lifetime visit...it might actually matter more if the "big rides" that make the place so famous (like Splash or Space Mountain or Everest) are actually open at the time. If you are only going to get to go once, you are going to want to experience as much as possible of what the place has to offer. Those people choose their dates just as carefully as people who go yearly do.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Why is it ridiculous to cater to a kid? The OP clearly loves his daughter and wants her happy. I don't think kids should be spoiled but I think it's fine when your going to spend thousands of dollars to go at a point when you know your kids will be happiest. If again, they had already booked the trip and were suddenly canceling because of one ride...I would probably find that ridiculous. But the trip hasn't been booked so what's wrong with changing the time of a trip to a time when it's open. People change their trip dates all the time for many different reasons. And to your question about "would the OP rather have Splash not be in refurb"... that's a pretty gross exaggeration and twist of words from the OP's original post. I don't think he ever gave any inclination that he wishes it weren't being refurbed or that it should never be refurbed as you seem to want to twist the argument into.
Dude, come on, give me a break. Selfish is a pretty strong word to use in this context. He didn't even say that his kid wouldn't want to go to WDW because the ride was down. He's just choosing to go at a later time. There is another thing you just twisted. But now you seem to be insulting the way he is raising his child...key on the world "his". He decided that this wasn't the right time for his family and they'll go a later date. That could mean 2 months, 6 months, a year, whatever. Everyone has to decide to go on the date that is right for their family. This wasn't it for the OP. It's not even about money...though you seem to want to make it into a money thing. It's just about choosing the right time to go.
There are many many people that care about "trivial crap" in terms of their vacation. Why do you think people go at different times of the year than others? It could be a ride, a special offering from Disney, simply that they think the weather could be bad. I am sure if you listed all the reasons for the dates you choose to go to WDW, we could find some pretty "trivial crap" in there too. What's trivial to one person may not be to another as well. It's all relative.

It's true there are very many people who can't afford to go to Disney but again, you are making the original post into something way different that what it was about. Heck, for people who can only afford to go on that once in a lifetime visit...it might actually matter more if the "big rides" that make the place so famous (like Splash or Space Mountain or Everest) are actually open at the time. If you are only going to get to go once, you are going to want to experience as much as possible of what the place has to offer. Those people choose their dates just as carefully as people who go yearly do.

And like you are not twisting my words? The OP made it sound and plainly stated in their first post that the kid would "just die" if they couldn't ride Splash. So that to me sounds like "oh my kid wouldn't have ANY fun at WDW because of one ride". Oh please, you all are making me sick. To those of you that want to keep bringing my OPINION up about this bc God forbid this is a FORUM for OPINIONS if you agree or not. Then I don't want to see the threads coming up on here ever again with people complaining about grumpy and cranky BRATS in WDW. And people who can't parent. I do my job. Guess some of you are the ones you are complaining about. Funny, huh?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom