Trip Report Well, I guess this is happening... July 12-28 Trip Report - Pre, Live, and Post

Hello and welcome to another Brifraz trip report. If you traveled with us before you know how it usually works - a brief pre-trip outline of plans, lots of live trip reporting, then after the trip some poorly completed scattered posts to try to wrap things up. Well, I'm doing a legit pre-trip this time. Why? Because there are some issues right now. Maybe you didn't realize that?

Which means I'm going to lead off this thread by opening it up to the debate. It's my thraed and I'm okay with that. A little debate will keep things lively - now I'm not talking about something like the thousand plus pages of debate on the mask/precautions/COVID threads, but a little discussion is totally fine and all opinions are welcome. Now, let me be clear I'm not asking I 'what you would do?' But, after reading things below, I welcome opinions on 'what do you think we would or should do.'

Obviously, you can't get into those kinds of discussions without knowing who we are and what we are all about. Here goes. Feel free to steal our identities if you need to.
6e44e73a-9723-4362-bef0-4b69fa60a0c5.JPG

Our crew is a trio. Two nearly-50 year old adults and a 16 year old rising senior in High School. The two adults are high school teachers and have been since the 1990s. Obviously that means our only potential vacation times are summer and Christmas. Two teacher salaries have by no means made us rich, but we prioritize travel. We feel it 'broadens the mind' even if it is somewhere we've been before - always trying new experiences and interacting with new people (heck, we've driven across the USA 3 times and Canada once). You can see in my signature, we head to WDW often and try very hard to make each trip unique in different ways. We had trips in December (with extended family) and January (as leader of over 100 high school kids plus families) and were planning a summer totally away from the World. We had a vague plan to travel to Europe for a few weeks driving through multiple countries. It was going to be the last big family trip before our daughter goes to college. But we just couldn't afford it - there was just no way to make it work. Since we are DVC and have some family-owned timeshare, we can stay at WDW (or that area) for pretty much nothing more than our expected annual fees and we drive from Maryland, so transportation is pretty cheap. Airfare and hotels around Europe was cost prohibitive. Our daughter already has a senior Disney trip planned with friends for next summer and we were possibly doing a couple trip as well, so buying an AP for late this summer through early next summer is also an expense that we expected (although we didn't expect it until next year). Thus, some time in late January, we decided that we would do some smaller trips (including college visits) around the country and then spend a week at WDW.

Sadly, the smaller trips are pretty much all gone due to the current health crisis. But our WDW trip is not until mid-July, so it might still be happening. Health-wise we are all in pretty good shape. Sure, we've got the usual little things that tend to happen as you get close to 50, but nothing that makes our immune systems compromised and certainly nothing that puts us in a higher risk group. As a pair of high school teachers, we get exposed to pretty much every bug that shows up in our communities and in general we weather things pretty successfully. Our daughter currently works at the local grocery store which similarly puts her 'in harm's way' on a regular basis. While the concern over the coronavirus is certainly in our minds, we also are used to taking precautions and have very little innate fear of getting sick. We also have no problem wearing masks or taking other preventative measures if we are traveling.

Why would we even consider still heading to WDW? Well, just like everyone, the past couple months have been tough for us (obviously, far less difficult than for many). We have been relearning how to do our jobs, we've had to cancel 11 major shows/performances (we both teach performing arts), and we're facing the prospect of our jobs/roles changing dramatically in a few months. Our daughter has (again, obviously) missed out on a number of usual things for HS Juniors and is quite concerned about the prospect of her Senior year being very altered. The stress and uncertainty of these things makes the idea of ANY kind of escapism very appealing - even if it is limited and changed from our usual expectations.

There's a little background on us and some elements of where we are coming from with this (possible) trip. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that WDW will be relatively fully open by mid-July, but with significant precautionary measures in place. I'll be back soon with some of our thoughts on the trip and what we might or might not be planning and doing if it happens.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those costumes are simply amazing! And, so clever how she matched them with the various meet and greets, races, etc.

When our daughter was 4, we went to 1900 Park Fare and she was wearing the Cinderella costume and the wicked stepsisters put on a whole offended routine that little girls ALWAYS were dressed up as Cinderella or one of her friends and NEVER dressed up as them. Pretty much the minute we got home she was begging for the Anastasia costume. Wore that the next year and won over Anastasia, then my wife made the Drizella costume and on the next visit we won her over as well.

Fun fact - on the year that she wore the Anastasia costume, after making a big deal at 1900 PF, Anastasia told our daughter she would see her at the parade that night. We assumed it would be a different Anastasia, but NOPE - same one. As the float went by, she and Drizella were yelling out our daughter's name as they waved to her. Pretty darn cool experience! And quite surprised that the same Anastasia would be at 1900 PF and the parade.

slipperalwaysfits

Fun fact - on the year that she wore the Anastasia costume, after making a big deal at 1900 PF, Anastasia told our daughter she would see her at the parade that night. We assumed it would be a different Anastasia, but NOPE - same one. As the float went by, she and Drizella were yelling out our daughter's name as they waved to her. Pretty darn cool experience! And quite surprised that the same Anastasia would be at 1900 PF and the parade.

THAT FACT IS NOW one of my all-time favorite stories about the magic that is WDW!!!! I have a couple myself but this really stands out to me, no wonder Anastasia made a friend for life that night!!! Wow, how special! And yes, @MeffysMom ---your talent is incredible!! The coustumes are fantastic!

LisaBelle

When our daughter was 4, we went to 1900 Park Fare and she was wearing the Cinderella costume and the wicked stepsisters put on a whole offended routine that little girls ALWAYS were dressed up as Cinderella or one of her friends and NEVER dressed up as them. Pretty much the minute we got home she was begging for the Anastasia costume. Wore that the next year and won over Anastasia, then my wife made the Drizella costume and on the next visit we won her over as well.

What a fabulous example of Disney magic at it’s best! Looking forward to following along on your trip!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
What a fabulous example of Disney magic at it’s best! Looking forward to following along on your trip!

We have been lucky enough to have experienced Disney magic at a level far higher than most. There are certainly times I feel a bit guilty about it...

In 2008 (the Year of Million Dreams promotion), we got the 'Dream Fastpass' at Hollywood Studios right after riding Star Tours. A CM came onto the simulator right after the ride and gave everyone onboard a card with detachable tabs that included Fastpasses for every one of the attractions in Studios for that day. (I know the picture is a little fuzzy, but you can see the FP around our daughter's neck).
mef & mommy w fastpasses copy (1).jpg

On our daughter's 5th birthday, we were at Magic Kingdom a full hour and a half before opening. She was just too excited to stay in our room. We sat down by the turnstile (pre-tap) and started playing cards and eventually the first CM on duty came by and started talking to us, gave our daughter some Mickey stickers, etc. Our daughter then proceeded to give Mickey stickers to each of the CMs who showed up. Eventually one asked her if she wanted to meet Mickey that morning. Much to our shock, we were brought in early and were the 'Family of the Day' which meant we went back to Toontown and met ALL the characters before riding the train with Mickey and throwing out confetti to Open the Park that morning. These are just a couple of the THOUSAND pictures we (and the Photopass photographer) took that morning.
DSCN2893.JPG

image016.jpg

A couple years later, we were at Animal Kingdom similarly early (not quite to that extreme) and chatting with the CMs and got picked to be the 'first family' to enter the park, which meant we got to ride the Safari in our own personal vehicle. I can't seem to find those pictures.

We've had other little positive experiences (free ice cream here, free replaced Mickey ears there, etc) as well. I definitely feel that we have gotten more than our fair share of Disney Magic over the years!

This trip, the Magic we are hoping for is a couple weeks of relaxing and having a good time and not getting sick.

cgersic

We have been lucky enough to have experienced Disney magic at a level far higher than most. There are certainly times I feel a bit guilty about it...

In 2008 (the Year of Million Dreams promotion), we got the 'Dream Fastpass' at Hollywood Studios right after riding Star Tours. A CM came onto the simulator right after the ride and gave everyone onboard a card with detachable tabs that included Fastpasses for every one of the attractions in Studios for that day. (I know the picture is a little fuzzy, but you can see the FP around our daughter's neck).
View attachment 482284

On our daughter's 5th birthday, we were at Magic Kingdom a full hour and a half before opening. She was just too excited to stay in our room. We sat down by the turnstile (pre-tap) and started playing cards and eventually the first CM on duty came by and started talking to us, gave our daughter some Mickey stickers, etc. Our daughter then proceeded to give Mickey stickers to each of the CMs who showed up. Eventually one asked her if she wanted to meet Mickey that morning. Much to our shock, we were brought in early and were the 'Family of the Day' which meant we went back to Toontown and met ALL the characters before riding the train with Mickey and throwing out confetti to Open the Park that morning. These are just a couple of the THOUSAND pictures we (and the Photopass photographer) took that morning.
View attachment 482285
View attachment 482286

A couple years later, we were at Animal Kingdom similarly early (not quite to that extreme) and chatting with the CMs and got picked to be the 'first family' to enter the park, which meant we got to ride the Safari in our own personal vehicle. I can't seem to find those pictures.

We've had other little positive experiences (free ice cream here, free replaced Mickey ears there, etc) as well. I definitely feel that we have gotten more than our fair share of Disney Magic over the years!

This trip, the Magic we are hoping for is a couple weeks of relaxing and having a good time and not getting sick.
Oh my heavens, I'm crying over that one!!! Love Disney Magic!

LisaBelle

View attachment 482284

View attachment 482285
View attachment 482286

That’s fantastic! So happy Disney has created so many extra special memories for your family. Enjoy your vacation! I will be following along!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Finally, time to share the last few days of the trip!

Saturday the 25th we will be heading to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then relaxing at Old Key West with dinner at Olivia's in the evening.

On Sunday we have breakfast at Topolino's for the quasi-character breakfast that is currently the way things are going there. Then we will either drive or maybe take the Skyliner over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening.

Our next to last day is going to be at Hollywood Studios and we got a relatively early visit to Oga's Cantina planned, so hopefully we will get to enjoy the Galaxy's Edge attractions without too much wait!

Finally, we finish our trip with a day at Magic Kingdom that will end with dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern just before we start the long drive home.

At this point, we just hope to be able to enjoy ourselves and have at least a little bit of escape from the reality of the world right now... or at least stay healthy and safe the whole time!

Mickey Pride

Finally, time to share the last few days of the trip!

Saturday the 25th we will be heading to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then relaxing at Old Key West with dinner at Olivia's in the evening.

On Sunday we have breakfast at Topolino's for the quasi-character breakfast that is currently the way things are going there. Then we will either drive or maybe take the Skyliner over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening.

Our next to last day is going to be at Hollywood Studios and we got a relatively early visit to Oga's Cantina planned, so hopefully we will get to enjoy the Galaxy's Edge attractions without too much wait!

Finally, we finish our trip with a day at Magic Kingdom that will end with dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern just before we start the long drive home.

At this point, we just hope to be able to enjoy ourselves and have at least a little bit of escape from the reality of the world right now... or at least stay healthy and safe the whole time!
It certainly seems you have things in place for a wonderful vacation. I cannot wait to hear how all of this comes out. I know you will have a great time. I have been viewing the threads of the early pre-openings of the MK and AK and it seems Disney has pulled out all the possible stops they can to keep the guests and Cast Members as safe as possible. I know I will enjoy hearing and seeing photos from someone on this board that is there and doing it. I can't wait.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Spent the past couple days with a lot of feelings of trepidation. Yeah, I've used that word a couple times. Despite the bad news out of Florida with respect to the virus situation, the reports of Cast Member and Annual Pass previews and all the precautions in place have managed to balance that out. I know that everyone is in situations unlike what they have experienced before and we've certainly been that way for a few months now (really dreading the possibility of not having band and orchestra classes this fall and my marching band kids are near apoplectic worrying about that), but it is really weird not to be feeling a lot of positive energy and excitement about the trip.

Two days until we hit the road and I'm usually losing sleep with excitement, not worry. But tonight, with the release of the menus at the mini-Food and Wine festival did give me a couple minutes of happy. With our schedules, we've only ever made it to the F&W once before and it was on the old 10K weekend, so we really didn't have much Epcot time. We have gotten to enjoy the kiosks at the Christmas Festival and the Arts Festival and even the Flower and Garden before, but not really Food and Wine. So there actually was some good vibes going on!

macefamily

Good luck to your family. Maybe we'll pass each other next week because we're heading down 7/15 - 7/17. MK on Wed, HS on Thr, and Ep on Fri to do the Food and Wine. My wife and daughter are driving down Sunday night because my daughter is moving to a place in Jacksonville. I'm flying down Tuesday morning to hook up with them. I'm more worried about the cleanliness of the plane versus the parks. I think Disney will have things under control.

slipperalwaysfits

WOW! A reservation at Topolino's is impressive! I hope you'll enjoy it, you're right to be nervous, I'm a bit nervous about our trip in Nov. At this point, I'm more worried about our trip even happening. Yes, all the previews look like Disney is right on track and doing everything they can, so I would just go and enjoy it as much as you can, if I were you!

RememberWhen

We were originally supposed to be on a DCL cruise right now. Back tomorrow. Part of me wishes we hadn’t canceled the post-cruise resort stay. Half of me is super relieved. I think Disney's doing everything they can. It seems like it’s not completely nuts. But when you’re talking to Disney nuts it’s hard to be sure about perspective...
I think and hope you’re going to have a safe and fun trip. And, assuming you go, I’m looking forward to hearing about how it went.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good luck to your family. Maybe we'll pass each other next week because we're heading down 7/15 - 7/17. MK on Wed, HS on Thr, and Ep on Fri to do the Food and Wine. My wife and daughter are driving down Sunday night because my daughter is moving to a place in Jacksonville. I'm flying down Tuesday morning to hook up with them. I'm more worried about the cleanliness of the plane versus the parks. I think Disney will have things under control.

We will be Fooding and Whining (Freudian or on purpose??) at Epcot next Friday as well. Be on the lookout for the younger than he looks old guy wearing a DVC hat, the amazingly beautiful Latina who looks far younger than she is, and the teenager who may or may not be moody at any given time. All wearing masks. ;)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
WOW! A reservation at Topolino's is impressive! I hope you'll enjoy it, you're right to be nervous, I'm a bit nervous about our trip in Nov. At this point, I'm more worried about our trip even happening. Yes, all the previews look like Disney is right on track and doing everything they can, so I would just go and enjoy it as much as you can, if I were you!
We were originally supposed to be on a DCL cruise right now. Back tomorrow. Part of me wishes we hadn’t canceled the post-cruise resort stay. Half of me is super relieved. I think Disney's doing everything they can. It seems like it’s not completely nuts. But when you’re talking to Disney nuts it’s hard to be sure about perspective...
I think and hope you’re going to have a safe and fun trip. And, assuming you go, I’m looking forward to hearing about how it went.

Disney does definitely appear to be doing things right. We are going to do our best to 'go with the flow' (okay, still a little bummed not to get to see Finding Nemo the Musical this trip) and have a good time. I'll be posting quite a bit as our days look to be far less busy than normal and will definitely try to present things 'as they are' without too much of my opinion thrown in... oh, who am I kidding, chock full of my opinions!

BTW, we are definitely going. Plans are too far into motion at this point! Our house sitter is already all set, the car is gassed up, most of the bags are packed, the lawn is getting mowed in the morning. Just you try and stop us, universe!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s LIVE time!

BC3C490C-A2A5-48E5-BEA0-1555507471DF.jpeg

Got out of the house in MD at 6pm last night and pulled into Saratoga Springs at 8am this morning. Delighted, but honestly not surprised, that our room was ready. So the girls set to unpacking while I ventured to Winn Dixie for a few needs. I got back about 9am and they were both heading quickly toward sleep! Much as 3 drivers made the night easier, I still think we each only got about 3-4 hours sleep. I soon joined in and we all napped until about 11am.

Better rested, now it was time to deal with hunger, so we made a quick walk to the Paddock Grille as our room is right next to that pool. And now fed, we headed to Universal.

647172C1-F0E1-4B83-8D0E-208E3FDFB713.jpeg

Soon as we had parked, we got a Virtual Line time for Hagrids. It was just 20 minutes until that started, so we did Cat in the Hat on the way. Umm.... no comment. Except the cat is damn scary.

We got into the actual virtual queue at 1:15 and were aboard our motorbikes at about 1:50pm. That’s a pretty cool ride. In fact, it’s 3:20pm now and the girls are back in the actual/virtual queue for another ride.

After finished the first Hagrid ride, we did Forbidden Journey. Hence, me skipping out on their current ride. 2 thrill rides in a row is my max. But as soon as we finished Forbidden Journey, we headed to the Three Broomsticks for drinks and some snacking. Which really isn’t a great look for me now that they are gone.
6E5EB1A8-F27A-4691-95B2-9A23CC96DE8D.jpeg

honestly, I’m just finishing things off!

A couple observations - line management is okay, certainly not great. About 20% of people are pulling down or taking off masks while in queues. Not a surprise, just a disappointment. Common areas are pretty crowded. In fact the area in front of castle was definitely a bit close quarters in the current circumstances. Not terribly bad, but certainly of concern.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day one is in the books! The girls enjoyed their second ride on Hagrid while I finished off those drinks in the 3 Broomsticks. They managed to sneak a couple pictures while riding.
IMG_8368.JPG

Back together as a full team, we headed to the Hogwarts Express which had spent the entire day as the second longest line in the parks, behind only The Hulk coaster. Luckily, the wait had gone down a little, but things are not quite as empty as we were led to believe! Or at least, they weren't on a Sunday afternoon. But, after about 30 minutes we were heading to Diagon Alley.
IMG_8410.JPG

Yeah, the lighting is a bit rough inside the train cars. Once we had disembarked in Kings Cross Station, we headed to Diagon Alley for a ride on Gringott's. This one moved much more quickly, although we still were a little alarmed by people taking off or lowering masks while in line. Distancing was less of an issue in this queue, though - everyone seemed to be able to keep their spacing. After our narrow escape from Gringott's, we headed into the main part of Studios for a ride with Jimmy Fallon (yeah, it's pretty lame, but silly fun) and then the girls walked right on Rip, Ride Rockit - which through the day (according to the app) had varied in line length from 5 minutes to 60 minutes pretty much every half hour or so. It was a little after 6pm and we were heading back to our room to get ready for dinner.

So, we spent about five and half hours in Universal and did all the big Potter attractions (Hagrid, Forbidden Journey, Express, and Gringott's) plus a second ride with Hagrid and three other rides (one a kiddie ride, one a not-to-popular ride, and one a pretty major headliner). All in all, not a bad afternoon of fun at Universal. Tomorrow morning, our daughter and I will be heading there as a duo while @MeffysMom is working on the course she is taking.

Once back at the room, we all relaxed for just a few minutes before heading to Disney Springs for our Boathouse reservation. It's one of our favorites and our daughter always gets and LOVES the filet mignon sliders - and I love what a good deal they are, comparatively. But, you didn't come to a Brifraz trip report for me to talk about our meal, you want the pictures of the drinks!
IMG_8419.jpg

That's a strawberry gin fizz and a duck duck razz. Both delicious. And, BTW, I had the Mahi sandwich which was awesome and @MeffysMom had their 'sandwich king' burger which she also really enjoyed. We were done a little after 8pm and are now back in the room, trying to force ourselves to stay awake until at least 9:30pm so we don't all wake up before dawn!

Just a few more thoughts on the rules and precautions in place... walking though both CityWalk and Disney Springs within a couple hours of each other, they both were a little more crowded than is totally comfortable and they both seem to have about 5-10% of the people not really following the rules. I didn't see or hear any staff at CityWalk, so not sure if there is any enforcement going on at all there. I did hear one CM at Disney Springs remind someone to keep their mask on, but that was about all. Definitely curious to see things in the Disney Parks, but that won't be until Wednesday as we are letting the over-enthusiastic to be back in the parks people get a couple days in before we head there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom