Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

Phonedave

It is Disney's responsibility? Not at all - it is everybody's personal responsibility (children being the exception, the it's parents responsibility)

However ......

I for one would like to see some additional items at WDW. You cannot get good vegtables for example. Good, as in good tasting and healthy. Carrots with the life cooked out of them and dripping butter sauce is not healthy (and quite honestly does not appeal to me - but thats personal tastes) Something like a baked potato - I'll add some salt and pepper. Or maybe steamed broccoli, or *gasp* spinach/kale/beet greens - oh my, what a concept.

When I go to WDW, I do "splurge" and while in my normal life I may have a fast food burger once a month, I may have 2 or 3 in a week at WDW. But it would be nice to have some "real" food available.

-dave

Phonedave

And while we're on the topic of adjusting rides and vehicles to people's weight and bodies, I'd love if they'd give some more leg room for taller people. Cramming myself into the front of a Space Mountain car added another frightening element to the ride. Wondering how I'd get myself back out with my legs that had cramped up. Needless to say, I now pass on that ride.

Same problem on the Tea cups.

And height isn't something that a person can change with diet or exercise.

Oh lord yes. Front seat of space mountain leaves me cramped and brused :)

6' 4" does not fold well into that space.

-dave

They shouldn't have to adjust the rides just because people are fat and make bad descisions. I do hear you about Space Mountain though. It can be cramped leg wise.

PeoplemoverTTA

I have no objection to obese people visiting theme parks and I have no objection to unhealthy food being on offer in the counter service restaurants (primarily because I eat it myself!) However, when I'm there for two weeks, say, I do wish there was a wider range of healthy options available at places like Electric Umbrella.

They had a delicious turkey wrap with a side of grapes when I went in January, and when I went for the day in April...I was so upset to see it was gone last month (it was delicious).

Also, while I for one like having free refills, I'd rather have the fresh veggie toppings bar at EU than the refill counter. I would pile the fresh veggies on whatever I ordered. Now the only place I can think of with the fresh veggie bar is Pecos Bill's.

If I splurge on a burger or chicken strips in WDW (doesn't happen too often), I always get it without fries (this saves money, too). That way if I want a popsicle or some kind of treat later (lots of times I like getting the fresh fruit in MGM or Liberty Square, or even the gigantic pickle, but I'm not immune to the occasional churro or Dole Whip:rolleyes:) I don't feel as bad (hey, I am on vacation :)).

I understand your point, though. I am not yet near my goal weight; however, I am making choices to eat better and treat myself sometimes...it seems to be working out pretty well.

MouseMadness

This past May I wasn`t feeling well so I went to the local ER. My BP was 257 over 149. After a few days in the hospital I was released. Now I take alot of medication and everything is fine. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have lost close to 50 pounds. My goal is 65 pounds before we get to WDW the second week in Feb. so I can eat whatever I want. For that week anyway.

Good for you! :wave:

Musiker110

This problem used to bother me as well. If you want to get food fast in Disney, that is what you're going to get... FAST FOOD. During my earlier vacations, I always felt like I gained weight and, considering the amount of walking one does in Disney, that's a feat in itself.

This is why I make ADR's for Lunch and Dinner each day I am at WDW. There are always healthy options if you eat at one of the many restaurants throughout the world instead of, lets say, Caseys Corner or similar types of places. In general you're going to spend about $10-15 more a meal p/p and about 30-45 min extra, but if you're sick of the high calorie fast food places, then there really are no other choices. Just factor the extra money into your vacation. You really will enjoy your trip more as well because most of the disney restaurants are very cool. Wait another two months and be able to eat good food, not fried everything.

A little self control goes a long way..................:king:

lilredfoxie

I think it shouldnt be Disney, or even the Govt.'s job to force people to eat healthy, people should be in charge of their own diet and what they eat, if people wanna eat fast food, let them. It is well known the side effects from eating too much fast food and stuff, If Disney wants to offer healthy food, let them, but don't get rid of the burgers and fries that others may consider a treat when they go on vacation.

Why not refurb some of the rides with smaller seats to make it easier for everyone to ride. Its not just overweight people having problems fitting into the rides, taller people too can have the same troubles. I may be only average sized and height, but I can see where some people could have problems, especially on the old theater rides, like Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents, seems it would be easy to add in new, wider seats, especially in carousel since the ride operates at way under its capacity to begin with. Other ones like Space Mountain could be a problem, but with the refrub supposedly happening, seems like its pretty easy to just make wider cars.

HRT+3

Let me also add that even though I am fairly large, I had no trouble on ANY ride other than the teacups. And that was b/c I am SHORT and my freaking chest kept getting smushed, let's just say Dad gets to ride the teacups next time!

shoppingnut

I'm so sick of all this healthy food being forced on me. If I want to eat McDonald's I will and reading this thread has made me want it more. It's not Disney's or the government's job to tell me what I should eat. If Disney went to all healthy food, you can be sure that that decision would turn against them because people would now be renting cars and eating off property and their whole DME campaign was to get people on property without rental cars to make more $$$'s.

What strikes me about the OP is that they lost all this weight and now they want to change the world to their way of thinking. This reminds me of the reformed smoker, who now hates anyone who smokes and feels they must tell them why they should stop.

What's next, someone knocking on my door to check to see how and what I am cooking to make sure it's healthy.

mary219

when i am on vacation,i want to eat like i am on vacation!if its french fries and a burger or yummy deserts at a restaurant.its my business.yes,we are getting fatter,but not going to worry about it the 2 weeks a year i get to do what i want.Besides,i live in ny,where our dear thoughtful mayor worries about our weight for us.:ROFLOL:
Seriously,so tired of being told what to do by politicians,celebrities and newspapers.

hauntdmansion79

Many people here have explained my opinion better than I could have. Here are some points I agree with...
  • Disney should offer options, but should not be required to suggest what we eat.
  • It's not Disney's responsibility as to how, what, and when people eat.
  • People like to splurge and eat "junk food" on vacation and should be able to.
  • One week of eating Disney World food is not going to change your weight one way or another.
  • Disney's job is to provides a good time and for some that includes eating healthy and for others it includes eaty guilty, they need to cover both.

Scooter

There are indeed many obese people that go to Disney World.

Perhaps...just perhaps, they go to get away from their daily lives where they are told every day how fat they are.

Maybe...just maybe, some of them go to Walt Disney World to escape from the pointing fingers, and the snide remarks they get every day back home, and they just want to go on a vacation to a magical place where they won't be judged by their size, but instead by their smiles and kind words.

People don't go to Disney World to get fat, but some people go to Disney World to forget that they ARE fat, and they just want to feel the same magical feelings that the "Normal" people feel...if only for a few wonderful days.

sublimesting

I was at Disney this summer and a huge guy couldn't get through a turnstile necause he weighed like 500 pounds. He started screaming that he was suing because Disney didn't accomodate his disability.

Well, that's what bothers me. It isn't a disability and it isn't genetics. Fat people are fat because they eat too much, eat the wrong things, or are lazy. There is a VERY small portion that may have a thyroid condition or somthing but 99% are fat of their own accord. This can be demonstrated by viewing the rest of the world. We are about the only nation with this epidemic.

Alot of people truly don't realize you can't eat McDonalds once or twice a week and be healthy, or drink even a can of pop a day. It is so ingrained in us as a society that this is what living is all about that most don't realize this isn't the way. With our increasing sedentary life style people are excercising way less and don't often understand they need to walk and move and if their job doesn't allow for that then it has to be done on your own time.

What annoys me is fat people riding scooters and overeating etc then complaining about being obese. You know what I WANT to eat a whole pizza and a dozen douhnuts and case of beer every single day. BADLY. I WANT to sit around and watc TV. BUT I CAN"T!!!! I know I have to work hard and eat right and have no one to blam but myself.

My secret is weight watchers 6 days a week and aerobics and weight lifting 5-6 days per week, with 1 day off of total debauchery and laziness every other week or so or at Christmas or parties. I have that fun day to look forward to and don't get burned out and remain healthy. Now, on vacation, I go all out and eat and drink and party non-stop. When I am home I live healthy.

westie

There are indeed many obese people that go to Disney World.

Perhaps...just perhaps, they go to get away from their daily lives where they are told every day how fat they are.

People don't to to Disney World to get fat, but some people go to Disney World to forget that they ARE fat, and they just want to feel the magical feelings that the "Normal" people feel...if only for a few wonderful days.

You sir, are a wellspoken genius.

Let me just add that I've been eating oatmeal for the last 2 years solid. 3 days to go and its biscuits and gravy for a week. Plus Filet Mignon and all the desserts that I desire! Damn the cholesterol!:sohappy:

Timmay

I am confused :shrug:...when we go to WDW with my dad (who has heart disease), he never seems to have any problem finding plenty of healthful food to consume. He is always satisfied with the selections in all the parks.

Doesn't seem to be much of an issue, really.

KeeKee

I am confused :shrug:...when we go to WDW with my dad (who has heart disease), he never seems to have any problem finding plenty of healthful food to consume. He is always satisfied with the selections in all the parks.

Doesn't seem to be much of an issue, really.

There really are some nice healthy choices. However, as a vegetarian, the choices aren't quite as plentiful - but, they are there.

shoppingnut

However, as a vegetarian, the choices aren't quite as plentiful - but, they are there.

But they are getting better each passing year. Disney does alot to keep up with the times regarding their food choices and is one of the few places that people can vacation that have food allergies and really enjoy themselves.

KeeKee

But they are getting better each passing year. Disney does alot to keep up with the times regarding their food choices and is one of the few places that people can vacation that have food allergies and really enjoy themselves.
Yeah, they are definitely improving. I guess I'll just wait it out and see what they come up with. Their menus are always great no matter what you like to eat. However, when it comes to "treats," nobody, but nobody does it like Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom