Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

Mr Starky

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

A really good article about the increasing size of riders for theme parks.

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc.

They're getting rid of smoking in their films but do you think that Disney should stand up and lead the way to serving only healthy food in their parks?

*I'm not talking about getting rid of the candy and dole whips, more like the burger/fries combos served for meals.

It would be nice if they offered, and made more readily available, better quality food. Ultimately, though, it is up to the individual to choose the right foods. Your health is primarily your responsibility.

HRT+3

And..btw, reading this last page, let me add this

As an overweight person, you have to realize that not all the things in life that are available to others will necessarily be available to you, and that's something you have to live with, IMO.
Just like small people (genetically, not age wise) can't go on rides with a height requirement even as adults a lot of times...these things happen and we have to learn to live with them b/c it's life. I'm not saying that at ALL...I am all for Disney offering better, more healthy choices, b/c those are the food I prefer....I'm just saying I took offense to the way your post was worded...although I don't believe you truly meant it offensively.

BRER DAD

Ok, I am NOT a flaming kinda person, but I am an overweight person.
THIS COMMENT
Quote:
"When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc."

Read that..you say it bothered you HOW MANY TRULY OBESE PEOPLE VISITED...

now that definately sounds to me like it bothered you to see those people, and maybe that's not what you meant, but it hurts badly to read things like that, and maybe you should rethink before you post these sort of things, ya know?

I would truly love to lose weight, I went to disney, NEVER at a burger, an ice cream or anything, ate ONE dole whip....while all the skinny people around me ate ALL of that stuff, I drank water and ate apple chips. BUT..some people have trouble losing weight.

SO maybe you could have said it differently.

I have to agree. Some people have a really hard time losing weight even if they eat a "clean" diet. I work with overweight people all day (I am a trainer), some lose weight easily some dont. Eating a unhealthy diet while on vacation is not going to kill you, it's the day after day of eating unhealthy that will. I eat like a pig when I am at Disney. I eat things I never get to eat during the rest of the year, but thats how I enjoy my vacations. When im not on vacation I am very strict about what goes in my mouth. All in all I do belive that being obese is a choice. I know hundreds of obese people that try to lose weight for 2 weeks and give up when the scale dosnt move as quick as they wanted to. Being healthy is a life change not somthing that you do for a few months.

DisneyMusician2

I really don't think that your couple of WDW meals is really going to make a huge difference.

I eat a healthy diet usually, but not over vacation! There are other options outside the world, but I don't think that pulling the food out or changing the options is Disney's moral responsibility.

This being said, there are many more vegetarian selections. My wife is a vegetarian, and she much happier than usual on our last excursion.:sohappy:

Montyboy

Ok, I am NOT a flaming kinda person, but I am an overweight person.
THIS COMMENT
Quote:
"When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc."

Read that..you say it bothered you HOW MANY TRULY OBESE PEOPLE VISITED...

now that definately sounds to me like it bothered you to see those people, and maybe that's not what you meant, but it hurts badly to read things like that, and maybe you should rethink before you post these sort of things, ya know?

I would truly love to lose weight, I went to disney, NEVER at a burger, an ice cream or anything, ate ONE dole whip....while all the skinny people around me ate ALL of that stuff, I drank water and ate apple chips. BUT..some people have trouble losing weight.

SO maybe you could have said it differently.

Would you feel better if he wrote, "How many truly obese people are in the US?" because that is what he meant. Besides it doesn't apply to you... at least you are trying.

I weigh 285 and when I see someone having trouble moving around, all I can think is, "I have to lose weight."

Keep up the good work - eating right and hit the gym. I never care if anyone looks at me when I'm at the gym because at least I'm there.

Montyboy

All in all I do belive that being obese is a choice. I know hundreds of obese people that try to lose weight for 2 weeks and give up when the scale dosnt move as quick as they wanted to. Being healthy is a life change not somthing that you do for a few months.

Absolutely a life choice. After the first few weeks and the gym doesn't make you want to go to bed right after dinner - you actually have more energy.
The OP has a good point and he is brave for bringing it up. Americans probably know the right way to eat, but we get sabotaged when we eat outside the home. (Corporations are not responsible for us, but they do know that fat and sugar taste good.)

mep517

I really don't think that your couple of WDW meals is really going to make a huge difference.

I eat a healthy diet usually, but not over vacation! There are other options outside the world, but I don't think that pulling the food out or changing the options is Disney's moral responsibility.

Well said.

I'm a medium-sized person. I'm not overweight, but I will never be "thin." And that's my problem. It's not Disney's problem. They can put all the salads in the world on their menus, but at 2pm I'm gonna be heading for Casey's and that delicious all-beef hot dog. Then I'll head over to Epcot for a half-yard of ale (which makes me pack on pounds like nothing else) and fish & chips. On vacation, salad-schmalad. :animwink:

TinkerBelle8878

People are going to make the choices that suit them at that moment. If Disney did switch over to a World-wide healthy food plan, I don't think I'd be against it. I'm in the minority of not being a big fan of hamburgers and hot dogs. But I do wish at times they made things that are simple and plain. Salad bars, turkey sandwiches, fruit salad. Its Florida. Its hot, humid, and muggy. The thought of eating a large, fried, greasy meal makes me kind of ill.

And while we're on the topic of adjusting rides and vehicles to people's weight and bodies, I'd love if they'd give some more leg room for taller people. Cramming myself into the front of a Space Mountain car added another frightening element to the ride. Wondering how I'd get myself back out with my legs that had cramped up. Needless to say, I now pass on that ride.

Same problem on the Tea cups.

And height isn't something that a person can change with diet or exercise.

cptwife80

I like the fact that Disney is getting better with their healthy meals. But for me I eat a very small amount of food and never too much sugar. But I can not help but stay overweight for my height. I have a bad thyroid and its very hard and sad when I gain weight and can't take it off no matter what. So don't say that people are overweight because of the food choices. Think to your self next time that it may be medical, not always because of poor food choices. Also another point it's Disney... it's my vacation where I can let go for a few days and not worry about my calorie counting.

Grumpy-Fan

This past May I wasn`t feeling well so I went to the local ER. My BP was 257 over 149. After a few days in the hospital I was released. Now I take alot of medication and everything is fine. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have lost close to 50 pounds. My goal is 65 pounds before we get to WDW the second week in Feb. so I can eat whatever I want. For that week anyway.

kennyj29

We went to Disney also and we were all on WW at the time. We decided to go off for vacation and enjoy all the things we havent' had in awhile. I gained a lot of weight (9 pounds) in 12 days. Now I'm having trouble getting that off. I had lost 52 now I'm back to 48 pounds and hopefully getting to my starting point soon. I have another 50 pounds to go and I know I will eventually get there. But my point being, No matter how heavy or tall (my husband) or skinny, I think it's wonderful that Disney finally realized that a large portion of the population is either overweight, etc. It's wonderful going to Disney knowing you can get on the rides without being embarressed. I love Disney for that and that's why they're Disney. They seem to make their parks for everyone no matter who they are. Do I think they should cater their food to overweight people? Absolutely not , should they offer a choice? That would be great! Keep it up Disney and try to make the ride vehicles a little more leg roomy for the tall people too!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think this is a matte of gross misperception presented as fact.

Disney World offers a ton of healthy food. I go pretty much every week, eat there, and rarely touch a hot dog, hamburger, or pizza and i rarely eat the same thing multiple times in a 6 month period.

You're saying Electric Umbrella doesn't have healthy choices..

A) It does.

B) It's a burger joint. Is there a fast food vegetarian joint made from oragnic soy products where you live? One doesn't exist at WDW either. SoyJoy aint fast food.

C) Again, it's a burger joint. Goto the Land 5mins away and you'll have your fill of tabouleh, chickpeas, beet salads and grilled chicken. Heck, get your omega and essential fatty acids from the Salmon. Goto the Tangerine Cafe in Morroco and chow down on the couscous and nibble the vegetarian platter. Goto Norway and order the open face salmon and scrambled egg sandwich.

If you wander into Epcot's largest burger joint, you will be dissapointed in your options if you dont want a burger - shall we goto a steak house and complain that they mostly serve steaks? And they're not all burger joints either.

I'm sorry, i find this complaint ridiculous. There is tons of healthy food at WDW, it's just not at the burger joints. Also: Table service anyone...?

What do you expect? Odwalla bars and wheat barley shots?

Heck it's Disney. I LOVE to eat the unhealthy food there because at home, I normally don't. A vacation of eating unhealthy, in the long run, is not that bad for you. If you eat healthy at home, it is worth it!

CleveRocks

I think this is a matte of gross misperception presented as fact.

Disney World offers a ton of healthy food. I go pretty much every week, eat there, and rarely touch a hot dog, hamburger, or pizza and i rarely eat the same thing multiple times in a 6 month period.

You're saying Electric Umbrella doesn't have healthy choices..

A) It does.

B) It's a burger joint. Is there a fast food vegetarian joint made from oragnic soy products where you live? One doesn't exist at WDW either. SoyJoy aint fast food.

C) Again, it's a burger joint. Goto the Land 5mins away and you'll have your fill of tabouleh, chickpeas, beet salads and grilled chicken. Heck, get your omega and essential fatty acids from the Salmon. Goto the Tangerine Cafe in Morroco and chow down on the couscous and nibble the vegetarian platter. Goto Norway and order the open face salmon and scrambled egg sandwich.

If you wander into Epcot's largest burger joint, you will be dissapointed in your options if you dont want a burger - shall we goto a steak house and complain that they mostly serve steaks? And they're not all burger joints either.

I'm sorry, i find this complaint ridiculous. There is tons of healthy food at WDW, it's just not at the burger joints.
AMEN.

WDWFigment

While I do believe in personal accountability and thus people should be fully to blame for their own eating habits, I think that is a reductionist view of the argument for corps and gov't to step in, and that argument doesn't take the entire situation into account.

If corporations and the government, that both otherwise should not have this responsibility, don't "push" healthy lifestyles onto people, a lot of people won't change. Corporations and gov't's fault? Of course not! However, in 20-30 years when this generation of unhealthy people start needing excessive amounts of health care, guess who is going to be paying? So, again, this is certainly a matter of personal accountability. But unfortunately, it's something that will eventually 'affect' more than just those who are directly affected.

All that said, I still wouldn't want WDW to cut out all unhealthy foods, if just for my own selfishness. I go there to splurge. All year I eat healthy foods and workout daily--my vacation is my reward for doing that consistently.

Thiger

Original Poster
While I do believe in personal accountability and thus people should be fully to blame for their own eating habits, I think that is a reductionist view of the argument for corps and gov't to step in, and that argument doesn't take the entire situation into account.

If corporations and the government, that both otherwise should not have this responsibility, don't "push" healthy lifestyles onto people, a lot of people won't change. Corporations and gov't's fault? Of course not! However, in 20-30 years when this generation of unhealthy people start needing excessive amounts of health care, guess who is going to be paying? So, again, this is certainly a matter of personal accountability. But unfortunately, it's something that will eventually 'affect' more than just those who are directly affected.

All that said, I still wouldn't want WDW to cut out all unhealthy foods, if just for my own selfishness. I go there to splurge. All year I eat healthy foods and workout daily--my vacation is my reward for doing that consistently.

I wish I had your articulation as this is exactly how I feel.
:D
Thanks!

I-4Warrior

By offering healthy options, Disney has lived up to their end of things. Obesity happens when people make poor eating choices on a consistent basis. If people who eat unhealthy foods do so in moderation, there is no problem. Disney isn't the thought police... guests have to take responsibility for their habits.

Another way to view things: Kids get cranky enough during a long day at the parks, imagine how much worse the attitude of an already tired and cranky child would be if they're forced to eat nothing but healthy stuff at the parks instead of one healthy meal/one less-than-healthy meal through the course of the day.

happymom52003

I'm sorry, i find this complaint ridiculous. There is tons of healthy food at WDW, it's just not at the burger joints. Also: Table service anyone...?

I agree. While we do splurge a little bit while at WDW and enjoy the "fun" food like hot dogs and funnel cakes, we try to balance it out by making sure we do at least one table service for lunch or dinner per day. The buffets are especially great....we use them to load up on veggies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom