Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

EPCOT.nut

Here is my take on this topic:

Yes I am very saddened at the number of obese people in WDW. I do a lot of people watching while I am there so I notice the obesity.

I see a LOT of obese young children. I feel so bad for them.

I go to WDW with my sister all the time.

She works in the Cardiology Cath lab. The majority of their patients are obese. Obesity and heart disease are best friends. So she sees the obesity and extremely overweight children and knows she may see them having a heart attack some day.

I work in plastic surgery. I get to talk to the people who are so terribly unhappy with the way they look. And I get to talk to people who cannot do normal activities because they are so large. Obesity hurts!

My sister and I are both right in our ideal weight. We get regular exercise and we make food sacrifices every day.

We have to search for healthy food alternatives at WDW parks. But we also have to do the same thing at home, eating out at restaurants, and getting a quick lunch every day of our lives.

My heart goes out to all of the obese people at WDW and in the rest of the world. But I get heart-sick over the obese children. :cry:

MAGICFLOP

My take is:

People are going to eat what they want anyway. I agree WDW should offer a healthy choice for meals, but when I am on vacation I am not always interested in healthy food. I eat healthy almost always, no need to do it always while I'm on vacation.

My Point:
If they offered only healthy meals, that would force the unhealthy eater to eat 3 ice cream cones in stead of a hamberger & fries and ice cream.
Healthy eating is a 365 day routine and 1 day of healthy eating will not change anything....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
oh I know people will get their flame on.

I also know that they offer healthier options, but its a very small percentage of the menu's offered.

I was actually pretty saddened by the healthy choices offered as I generally eat really well. But after a few days of 'treating myself' I found that I was just turned off by the small amount of healthy foods offered.

It may sound silly of me to say, but for a company who's erasing smoking out of their movies, you think they may want to take a bigger stance on un healthy eating habits...

*puts on flame proof suit...ducks n covers*

I didnt take the time to read through all the posts, and if someone pointed this out, sorry.

Anything eaten in moderation is for the most part healthy. Hamburgers and fries, eaten modestly is a healthy choice. We just got back from two weeks at the world and as a someone who has had weight loss surgery who has to be very carefull about what I eat now, I had no problems. Zero, nada, none. Yes I missed the icecream and deserts, but Disney provided a sugar free option and grilled selections at most if not all locations, even counter service.

I lost 7 pounds while at WDW in two weeks. Yes there were times where I had a burger or a hot dog instead of a salad or grilled chicken. I also had some fries and chips on occasion. I say this to prove that you can have high fat or hi calorie selections, if you watch how much of it you eat.

I think Disney is doing a good job for the most part. I dont ever want to see the day when I go to Disney and have to order the Vitamin combo meal with a side of Tofu.

KingStefan

Yes, I am obese, and it's my own fault. I don't have a big a problem as other people I see out there. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of obese people at WDW. Why? I don't know. But I accept and commiserate with them. I know what a struggle it is.

The issue of healthy foods at WDW is something I view as being totaly separate from the obese people at WDW issue.

I love the World. When I'm there, I expect to feel the magic all the time, in every aspect of my visit. I even try to help by giving all the magic I can to other guests, and I get good vibes back for that.

But when I walk into a CS place, often the magic is broken, because there's nothing I want to eat.

Disney is getting better by far at the choices they've been offering in the past few years. There are a lot of examples, and I could go on and on extoling the virtues of what they've been trying to do, compared to just a few years ago. The offering at the Land is a really good example. And the increas in the appearance of salads and things like turkey sandwiches is another. Even though I haven't eaten there, the noodle place at tomorrow world sounds like a good improvement. But I thinkt that they have to keep pushing the envelope.

But nevertheless, I'd like to see them do a bit better. They're almost there, and going in the right direction. But they just have to go a bit further.

I know it's a bit demanding, but when I walk into any CS place, I want to be able to say "Wow, there's something that I want! That's what Disney is all about! The magic is really here!" I can't say that now, and for the benefit of all, I won't be happy until most all of us can say that. Just like we say about seeing the castle from main street. It should be the same feeling about CS food. Know what I mean?

Yes I am very saddened at the number of obese people in WDW. I do a lot of people watching while I am there so I notice the obesity.

She works in the Cardiology Cath lab. The majority of their patients are obese. Obesity and heart disease are best friends. So she sees the obesity and extremely overweight children and knows she may see them having a heart attack some day.

I work in plastic surgery. I get to talk to the people who are so terribly unhappy with the way they look. And I get to talk to people who cannot do normal activities because they are so large. Obesity hurts!

My sister and I are both right in our ideal weight. We get regular exercise and we make food sacrifices every day.

We have to search for healthy food alternatives at WDW parks. But we also have to do the same thing at home, eating out at restaurants, and getting a quick lunch every day of our lives.

My heart goes out to all of the obese people at WDW and in the rest of the world. But I get heart-sick over the obese children. :cry:

I'm sorry... but I have a hard time taking anything you say seriously. I mean come on you state you work in plastic surgery, how shallow can you be? If you cared to read any medical journal about real medicine instead of how to give botox injections you might find that the latest studies have shown that heavy people live longer than thin people... Hmmm... so I can be skinny and miserable because I have to eat like a rabbit, and die young for my trouble... or eat what I want enjoy life, live longer and be heavier... guess which one I'm picking...

If you really care about children work in pediatrics not the shallow factory.

Timmay

I could have sworn the topic was about the food WDW offers...:shrug:

celticdog

When it comes to food, the heathiest choices are usually found at table services. Those are the places that the chefs can accomodate. I think Disney does a pretty good job of providing options for diners and I think Disney does have a responsibility of providing those choices. I don't think taht they should stop selling all the junk food and treats. It's a vacation, I look forward to my Mickey Ice Cream bar.

No1DopeyFan

The thing that bothered me most about this thread is that it sounded at first as tho if you are overweight you should not visit WDW. I myself don't feel it should matter if you are fat, thin, tall, short, black, white... what difference does it make... I think that there are better choices being offered at WDW, think back to 10 years ago and see how the menu items have changed. But it is a personal choice if you actually choose the healthier item. I think that is what makes Disney great is that it doesn't matter if you are overweight there is still so much that us "overweight" people can do.

Thiger

Original Poster
That was my bad, sorry. I'm not the most eloquent writer.
I totally believe that everyone, no matter race, creed or body shape should visit and believe in the magic. What i was trying to get across is that I think there should be more healthy choice options, a more proactive stance from Disney to provide and promote healthy foods (esp for children) while still keeping a balanced portion of junky/ snacky foods for people to enjoy as well.

I'm actually pretty happy at the number of people who've replied to this as I believe it's a pretty big issue. I hope that we'll continue to see Disney provide more and more healthy options from the years to come.

Thanks for putting up with my poor wordage and for many great posts!

T~

Thiger

Original Poster
I think gluten is a big problem for many many overweight people whose doctors have never considered celiac sprue because they aren't underweight even though they probably suffer many of the other symptoms. I think low carb diets worked for a lot of people because they had an undiagnosed gluten intolerance.

I thought that I had a thyroid issue ...my test came back fine so the doctor offered to prescribe prozac and a diet drug instead(I declined)....gluten was never even mentioned...I stumbled across an article on celiac sprue and cut out gluten...I lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks, felt better, looked better and very happy that I did not allow the doctor to medicate me. Now when I accidentally eat gluten I get a rash, I bloat, I get headaches, I feel like my stomach is being stabbed....

I think we need to rethink that food pyramid...following those recommendations are making some people very sick.

Totally agree. I was gaining weight, working out 1-2 hours a day and was really irked by lack of results. My brother got me to low carb and i lost 30 lbs in a month and a half! I truly believe that its more about eating unprocessed foods and sticking to mostly meat,fish (if you dont count that as meat) and vegetables. I'm also really trying to kick my pop habit (down from 6 a day to about 2 sugar-free, caffeine free).

TikiBeckie

I am overweight and love going to Disney because I know I will always fit on everything, unlike some local theme parks. I hate being overwight, but I am addicted to food. Much like being addicted to cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc...being addicted to food definitely shows. I am not HUGE, but one thing I can say about being overweight at Disney is how tired you get so easily. Walking up to the monorail, for example, leaves me a bit winded. I hate that. So this time, I am walking for several weeks in hopes that I will feel better. I havent lost any weight from my walks, but I at least feel better!

I think there are definitely healthy choices at the parks. I actually try to eat healthier on vacation because I feel better and have more energy. I always get the apples, carrots or grapes instead of fries. However, some of their healtheir choices are too weird for me. I wish they would have simpler salads and lean sandwiches. I always lose weight after coming home from WDW because of all the walking, and I am so focused on having fun rather than eating for once.

I think Disney is very accomodating to people of most different shapes and sizes, both on the rides and at the restaurants.

KeeKee

That was my bad, sorry. I'm not the most eloquent writer.
I totally believe that everyone, no matter race, creed or body shape should visit and believe in the magic. What i was trying to get across is that I think there should be more healthy choice options, a more proactive stance from Disney to provide and promote healthy foods (esp for children) while still keeping a balanced portion of junky/ snacky foods for people to enjoy as well.

I'm actually pretty happy at the number of people who've replied to this as I believe it's a pretty big issue. I hope that we'll continue to see Disney provide more and more healthy options from the years to come.

Thanks for putting up with my poor wordage and for many great posts!

T~

Now this is a statement that I think a lot of people can get behind! Well said!!!

TheDisneyGirl02

I think gluten is a big problem for many many overweight people whose doctors have never considered celiac sprue because they aren't underweight even though they probably suffer many of the other symptoms. I think low carb diets worked for a lot of people because they had an undiagnosed gluten intolerance.

I thought that I had a thyroid issue ...my test came back fine so the doctor offered to prescribe prozac and a diet drug instead(I declined)....gluten was never even mentioned...I stumbled across an article on celiac sprue and cut out gluten...I lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks, felt better, looked better and very happy that I did not allow the doctor to medicate me. Now when I accidentally eat gluten I get a rash, I bloat, I get headaches, I feel like my stomach is being stabbed....

I think we need to rethink that food pyramid...following those recommendations are making some people very sick.

My mom had the opposite problem when she was diagnoised with celiec disease, she had lost about 30 pounds in a month because whenever she ate gluten, she would get sick. My dad thought my mom was going to die because she was losing weight so quickly. Thankfully it was just celiec disease.

As far as healthy choices are concerned while at WDW, if I like them, I'll eat them. I don't get to WDW very often so if I"m there, I don't mind eating something I may not otherwise normally eat.

Anyway...it's WDW...it's magical and it's one place that you can forget your worries, food worries included.

Thiger

Original Poster
yeah while it's not their job I think its just smart business. I mean, they did take out all of the smoking in their films...

kimmychad

What I meant by that statement is that the weight problem seems to be running rampant and something must be done about it. Isn't anyone else bothered by the weight problem? Doesn't it scare you that friends and family are getting overly out of shape while corporations are doing very little to help?

wow thats a valid point. corporations need to watch over us all better. when the beer distributor sees me coming he should say "hold it mister thats the second case this month." we need to sure more fast food chains because we like their food and we drive to eat there i guess? whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their own selves? and if really bothered you that there were that many obese people in disney you should probably not watch the news. or leave the house. we wouldnt want you to become overly upset over anything really bad like someone smoking!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What I meant by that statement is that the weight problem seems to be running rampant and something must be done about it. Isn't anyone else bothered by the weight problem? Doesn't it scare you that friends and family are getting overly out of shape while corporations are doing very little to help?

I will say that obesity is a bigger problem in America than climate change.

Scooter

I have news for some of you folks.
Junk food has been around for years and years.
Disney didn't invent it, and in my opinion, has no moral responsibility to stop selling it.

Junk food isn't making us fat...sitting around in front of computers and Gameboys and TV's and X Boxes is what's making us fat.

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's, the nation was having the same problem.
TV was still a fairly new invention and people were spending way too much time watching it, and we, as a people, all started getting too fat.
Finally President Kennedy stepped up to the plate and started what was called "The Presidents council on Physical Fitness" and made it madatory for all kids to participate in a daily Gym class at school.

Now kids don't have to go to gym in a lot of areas because they whined to Mommy and Daddy that they hated it so rather than fight with parents with spoiled children some schools started getting rid of gym classes that were mandatory.
Now the kids were happy because they could play with their Gameboys and Mommy and Daddy were either too busy or too lazy themselves to force their kids to put down their X Box controllers and get off their lazy butts to go outside to get some fresh air and play baseball or soccer or jump rope or hide and go seek.

If anything, Disney has offered us healthier choices by providing us Theme Parks to walk around in and get some fresh air and excersize. I'm not sure but I'm willing to bet that most of the junk food we eat at WDW is burned off by all the standing, walking, and stair climbing we do when we spend a week at WDW. I think about this everytime I climb that incline at EPCOT Center to get back on the Monorail that takes me back to the TTC after spending all day walking around the World showcase, Future World and over to Boardwalk and back.

Healthier food choices may be a start, but it's only effective when combined with daily excersize....and it wouldn't hurt to push yourself away from your computer after reading this and going outside for a 30 minute walk.

KeeKee

There seem to be two separate discussions paralleling each other throughout this thread.

First, to clarify, no one is suggesting that Disney become the food police or the thought police, just offer some additional healthy and vegetarian choices. No one can take responsibility for their lifestyle if they don't have options available to them; otherwise you might even say that an unhealthy menu is being forced on them.

The other thing that seems to be cropping up here is a debate over the right of people to choose to be obese or not and whether they should endure the judgment of others.

These are 2 different discussions and are being intermingled and some have gotten the impression from this convergence of thoughts that Disney is being suggested to become the overseer of our future health.

It breaks down, IMHO, like this:

1. Disney should provide as many choices in their menu as possible from the the traditionally rich and decadent items that the do so well to the healthier and lighter fare that they are starting to add to the menu. Then, as has been suggested, the guests can make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own eating habits.

2. No one should be held up to public humiliation for their physical condition, no matter what it might be. That said, people have to know that human nature seems to be such that this is going to happen regardless of how much we educate the populace about the thoughtlessness of such behavior.

I think some have said that it saddens them to see the number of obese people who are paying the price of their poor choices. That in no way infers judgment but compassion. The question is - what, if anything, do we do about it?

sknydave

I have news for some of you folks.
Junk food has been around for years and years.
Disney didn't invent it, and in my opinion, has no moral responsibility to stop selling it.

Junk food isn't making us fat...sitting around in front of computers and Gameboys and TV's and X Boxes is what's making us fat.

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's, the nation was having the same problem.
TV was still a fairly new invention and people were spending way too much time watching it, and we, as a people, all started getting too fat.
Finally President Kennedy stepped up to the plate and started what was called "The Presidents council on Physical Fitness" and made it madatory for all kids to participate in a daily Gym class at school.

Now kids don't have to go to gym in a lot of areas because they whined to Mommy and Daddy that they hated it so rather than fight with parents with spoiled children some schools started getting rid of gym classes that were mandatory.
Now the kids were happy because they could play with their Gameboys and Mommy and Daddy were either too busy or too lazy themselves to force their kids to put down their X Box controllers and get off their lazy butts to go outside to get some fresh air and play baseball or soccer or jump rope or hide and go seek.

If anything, Disney has offered us healthier choices by providing us Theme Parks to walk around in and get some fresh air and excersize. I'm not sure but I'm willing to bet that most of the junk food we eat at WDW is burned off by all the standing, walking, and stair climbing we do when we spend a week at WDW. I think about this everytime I climb that incline at EPCOT Center to get back on the Monorail that takes me back to the TTC after spending all day walking around the World showcase, Future World and over to Boardwalk and back.

Healthier food choices may be a start, but it's only effective when combined with daily excersize....and it wouldn't hurt to push yourself away from your computer after reading this and going outside for a 30 minute walk.

In my day we had to walk through 15 miles of snow 3 feet deep just to get to school... And that was during the summer!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom