Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

autigger

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting quote]

My wife and I both noticed this as well. There was a very unusually high number of truly obese people at the parks when we were there. Way more than, say, the typical shopping mall.

As to your second point, I am no nutritionist, but I image the obese people got that way before visiting the parks.

sknydave

People are not obese because of the one week a year they spend at WDW. Healthy eating and exercise starts at home. Actually, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of visitors to WDW get more exercise walking around the property than they do every other day of their lives.

DisneyGigi

People are not obese because of the one week a year they spend at WDW. Healthy eating and exercise starts at home. Actually, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of visitors to WDW get more exercise walking around the property than they do every other day of their lives.

Totally agree with you! If you eat healthy the majority of the rest of the year (and exercise) the food you eat at WDW makes isn't going to make a difference in your weight.

danipooh

I don't think that is the food that you consume on vacation at WDW (or any vacation) that is the problem. It is the food that people eat on a daily basis that is the major "weight problem", that and lack of exercise. You can't live on fast -food & boxed dinners and not expect to gain weight.
When we go on vacation I am more free with what I eat (burgers, fries & dole whips) because I don't eat that stuff hardly ever at home.

Exactly. It's not the food at WDW that made those people obese. It's the choices they make in their daily lives. I feel that vacation is vacation and bad food is to be expected. I make healthy choices in my daily life so I can enjoy myself and splurge on those vacation times.

SpectroMan

As long as Disney is offering healthy choices throughout its food service, they are doing all that is needed. You cannot tell me that healthy eating is not pushed throughout our country today in our schools and in media. Everyone coming to Disney World understands healthy eating, and they have the choice to get the #1 on the menu or they can actually read the menu and substitute for healthier choices.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

A really good article about the increasing size of riders for theme parks.

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc.

They're getting rid of smoking in their films but do you think that Disney should stand up and lead the way to serving only healthy food in their parks?

*I'm not talking about getting rid of the candy and dole whips, more like the burger/fries combos served for meals.

I haven't had much problem finding something healthy (or at least healthier) at WDW. Sure, there's a burger and a pizza option, but I've always been able to find a salad, grilled or roasted chicken, a turkey sandwich and fruit, or similar to that whenever I wanted to, even in the MK and at the All-Star food courts. Sure, I'd like a bit more variety in those areas, but it is possible and not very difficult to eat healthier then burgers and fries.

So, I think Disney is doing what they should in that regard.

typhoon22

Disney has made many changes toward more healthy food offerings. We're always happy and surprised each year (since 1996) to see not only new healthy items offered, but also new restaurants and new foods at old restaurants. I am confident that Disney will continue to add and change their menus so as to satisfy all the WDW fans, old and new, healthy and indulgent(even if only while on vacation).

When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc.

They're getting rid of smoking in their films but do you think that Disney should stand up and lead the way to serving only healthy food in their parks?

*I'm not talking about getting rid of the candy and dole whips, more like the burger/fries combos served for meals.

If Disney really cared about the health of the people they would start by banning those electric whale carts that allow the morbidly obese people to tool around instead of walking (which might actually help them lose a few pounds); BUT Disney doesn't care about your health anymore than I do.

Disney is about making money, and they took smoking out of the films because they were afraid that if they left it in some groups would yell and scream about it and cause enough bad PR that they might lose money. The simple fact is the majority of the population will talk about eating healthy, but if you had a Disney snack counter that offered a burger basket and a veggie basket for the same price - people would pick the burger basket.

Even if they ahd to eat healthy at Disney, consider that any given family going to Disney has X amount of money to spend there.... when they are there they spend it.... would Disney be better off if they spent a portion of that money on lower profit healthy food or higher profit unhealthy food.... The simple fact is a burger and fries has a better profit margin than a grilled chicken and salad.

Money drives Disney like every other company in the world.

Champion

Burgers and fries are NOT unhealthy. Its unhealthy if thats all you eat.

Everyone needs to learn personal responsibility and not want everything mandated to them by companies and the government.

There are plenty of choices around the parks for whatever you want to eat, and they don't stop you from bringing food/drink in.

No one is forcing you to eat the food, so if you don't like it, don't eat it.

mickey&me

I think that the Disney Corporation should stick to what they're in business for--entertainment--and leave what people choose to eat up to the people. There's no excuse for a corporation to push its views of what makes a good meal on anyone. The best they can do is offer a variety of foods to the people who choose to frequent their establishments and let them make the decisions. In other words, a person's weight/health is that person's own individual responsibility and concern.

KeeKee

Everyone needs to learn personal responsibility and not want everything mandated to them by companies and the government.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting things mandated, but maybe emphasized a little more, and I think that is beginning to happen. Like I said before, if you are a vegetarian, the choice is extremely limited, although there are accomodations.

daverube

No, I don't think they need to remove all unhealthy food options from the parks. They just need to offer both healthy choices and "junk food" choices. It's not up to Disney to police what people eat. People need to take personal responsibility for their food choices. And since Disney is already offering healthier options - grapes instead of fries for example - people can chose to eat lighter fare or not as they wish.

I look forward to my burger and fries when I go because it's a treat for me. I don't eat a lot of junk food so if I want to have something like that when I'm at Disney, that's my prerogative. Love worked very hard, lost 65lbs and will also still enjoy a burger because for us, it's not about eliminating everything from our diets but rather, healthy moderation.

As long as people have a choice between a healthier and a fast food option, I think Disney has satisfied its obligation and the rest is up to the individual guest.
-m

Right, as always, MissM!!!

dave

Thiger

Original Poster
My point is that it'll be a much more enjoyable experience at the parks when the healthy options on the menus are in more of an equal proportion to the unhealthy.

Of course people will want to eat whatever they will want to eat. I'm not saying that it all gets cut out. I'm thinking that there should be more balance of options thats' all. My thoughts are that maybe with more options a) some people will choose the healthier alternative and b) it may inspire guests to eat better at home and the parks.

It's amazing that they've changed the menus thus far, I hope they continue to improve and excel in this aspect.

What do you all think of some parks giving weight limitations and having to re-fit rides?

Nicole220

I'm all for healthy choices, but once they take away the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich at DL, then I get mad! :fork:

Give us healthy substitutes (like the abililty to choose apples instead of fries), but don't take away some of the options. I miss my ice cream sandwich...

KeeKee

My point is that it'll be a much more enjoyable experience at the parks when the healthy options on the menus are in more of an equal proportion to the unhealthy.

Of course people will want to eat whatever they will want to eat. I'm not saying that it all gets cut out. I'm thinking that there should be more balance of options thats' all. My thoughts are that maybe with more options a) some people will choose the healthier alternative and b) it may inspire guests to eat better at home and the parks.

It's amazing that they've changed the menus thus far, I hope they continue to improve and excel in this aspect.

What do you all think of some parks giving weight limitations and having to re-fit rides?

Well said. I don't know how anyone would think this would mean that Disney would be doing anything TO the public but rather FOR the public. The choice always resides with the guests.

Are they imposing weight restrictions? If that's true, it is a sad state of affairs, but I guess I can see the need. Yikes!

kstella

Does that then mean that obese people who have the audacity to go to Disney will get a discount because of weight restrictions on the rides? I mean, a child's ticket is less because of they can't go on all the rides, therefore in your world will there be an obese ticket rate, also? Disney refitting any rides due to increased body size is just Disney facing the reality of the world and making ALL people comfortable and able to have a good time.

CleveRocks

Even though I'm a liberal Democrat, I'm a huge huge huge believer in personal responsibility. Companies SHOULD offer CHOICES to customers, but any moral responsibility ends there. If you eat an excessive amount of carrots you will become obese (and turn orange!). So should Disney somehow track people's food consumption to make sure they don't overeat even on the healthy choices???

During my most recent visit, my wife and I were training for our first-ever half marathon. We were overweight and out of shape, but took our training very seriously. We ate very carefully at home, and swore we'd do the same during a week at WDW with our kids.

We ate exclusively counter service, except for CRT breakfast and a Chef Mickey's dinner. It was actually rather easy to eat counter service yet avoid assaulting our bodies high fat crud. I'm not going to list everything, but I could if asked.

And by the way, my wife and I researched the menus before our trip. Part of taking personal responsibility is finding things out for yourself rather than leaving things up to chance. In other words, yes, there are some CS places that have no healthy choices ... we made sure we never stumbled into one of those places when hungry and in a rush.

HRT+3

Ok, I am NOT a flaming kinda person, but I am an overweight person.
THIS COMMENT
Quote:
"When i was at WDW 2 weeks ago there were two main things that bothered me: 1) how many truly obese people were visiting and
2) although there were some healthy choices available, most of the food served was pretty unhealthy. ie. burgers, fries, chips, etc."

Read that..you say it bothered you HOW MANY TRULY OBESE PEOPLE VISITED...

now that definately sounds to me like it bothered you to see those people, and maybe that's not what you meant, but it hurts badly to read things like that, and maybe you should rethink before you post these sort of things, ya know?

I would truly love to lose weight, I went to disney, NEVER at a burger, an ice cream or anything, ate ONE dole whip....while all the skinny people around me ate ALL of that stuff, I drank water and ate apple chips. BUT..some people have trouble losing weight.

SO maybe you could have said it differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom