wearing face masks?

SyracuseDisneyFan

I have to wear a mask when I go out and when I'm at work. Does it get uncomfortable and annoying? Sure. However, it's better than getting sick and dying. If I have to wear one the next time I'm at Disney World, I'm willing to do that. I do take it off briefly at work to eat and drink.

MikeyK72

Why the hell would anyone with those issues go to Disney?

I don't think that's really a fair question to ask.

Do you also ask why people who can't walk want to go to any Disney park where it's normal to walk upwards of 9 miles a day? Do you also ask why parents of special needs children would want to bring their children to Disney when they know they have special needs and can't physically/mentally stand in a queue?

The answer is because everyone has the right to enjoy Disney... and Disney accommodates all folks with special needs very well. If someone medically can't wear a mask, I would hope Disney would accommodate them as well.

MikeyK72

It may all comes down to park attendance with how long. If people feel it is not in their best interest to wear a mask and they do not hear it is a positive experience, then the lower attendance will definitely have an impact as to how long and what level. We may see in September or October a different narrative on mask wearing especially if it comes down to stock price and cash flow

Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Storm

I don't think that's really a fair question to ask.

Do you also ask why people who can't walk want to go to any Disney park where it's normal to walk upwards of 9 miles a day? Do you also ask why parents of special needs children would want to bring their children to Disney when they know they have special needs and can't physically/mentally stand in a queue?

The answer is because everyone has the right to enjoy Disney... and Disney accommodates all folks with special needs very well. If someone medically can't wear a mask, I would hope Disney would accommodate them as well.
And how do you want to accommodate them ? They are heavily at risk of getting a virus that could get them killed in a matter of a few hours to a few days when the symptoms come up , the best thing they can do in times like these is stay at home safely , Disney is not the place at the moment if you have heart issues , asthma or lack immunities , not a single person should choose Disney over their own life.

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

My wife can't stand wearing a light mask for work, and like many don't want to wear it around, except for short trips to the store. She even leaves me to check out so she can go sit out in the car. She for one would have a hard time going to Disney unless it was free and clear with out Covid-19 pre cautions.
I for one spent a decade in the military. We wore MOPP-4 (Mission Oriented Protective Posture - level 4) like this picture of a NATO troop. Protective mask that filters NBC(Nuclear, Biological, Chemical contaminates) Top, Bottom, Boot over shoes, and gloves. You can see the Chem tape on various body parts to show if contaminated and color change for specific chemical, Nerve agent, skin, or lung. I spent many long hours, days in this gear in training and in combat.
As for me, I can spend all the time I need in the Placebo Masks. It just sucks because I wear glasses, and I can go nuts over the condensation and not seeing through the fog.

Attachments

• NBC Suit.jpg
    NBC Suit.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 48

BASS

I won't guess, but I'll say this: I am hopeful that next summer we have a better grasp of this thing and that we are in position to make it optional or not necessary.

jloucks

My wife can't stand wearing a light mask for work, and like many don't want to wear it around, except for short trips to the store. She even leaves me to check out so she can go sit out in the car. She for one would have a hard time going to Disney unless it was free and clear with out Covid-19 pre cautions.
I for one spent a decade in the military. We wore MOPP-4 (Mission Oriented Protective Posture - level 4) like this picture of a NATO troop. Protective mask that filters NBC(Nuclear, Biological, Chemical contaminates) Top, Bottom, Boot over shoes, and gloves. You can see the Chem tape on various body parts to show if contaminated and color change for specific chemical, Nerve agent, skin, or lung. I spent many long hours, days in this gear in training and in combat.
As for me, I can spend all the time I need in the Placebo Masks. It just sucks because I wear glasses, and I can go nuts over the condensation and not seeing through the fog.

I hate masks too, but I wear them all the time now. Here is a hack that works great for us glasses wearer. Get some gaff tape. It is like duct tape, but better (and more expensive). Get a big jumbo paper clip and and contour it to your face across your nose and under your eyes (right below the glasses). Then gaff tape it to the inside top of your mask. I wen't from hating masks to moderately disliking them with this one simple process.

jloucks

Not necessarily. The droplet particles are at their largest when they leave your mouth, and your breath goes directly into the mesh of the mask. Surgical masks are mostly designed to catch a certain size of droplet, ie, the size that the surgeon is exhaling.

Droplet nuclei tend to break up into smaller particles as they float through the air. The masks most of us are now wearing are too porous to effectively filter out the smaller particles, although they probably stop enough to be better than nothing. Also, whereas most of the exhaled droples go directly into the mask, a significant amount of the particles a person inhales can get drawn in from the sides of the mask.

So yes, it does filter in both directions, but the particles it is best designed to filter mostly come from only one direction.

A mask probably offers some protection for a wearer, but not enough if everyone else surrounding them isn't wearing one.

This is why it needs to be stressed again and again, nobody is adequately protected unless most of us wear masks.

All that AND it also slows and redirects your face exhaust lowering its projectional ability. So whatever cooties you do eject, disperse less effectively.

...especially when coughing or sneezing. Sneezing in a mask is pretty gross tho, so, yea, there is that. Better in that out tho right?

Heppenheimer

I miss some things about my army days. MOPP suits are not one of them. It didn't help that NBC training would inevitably fall during the hottest part of the summer.

Herdman

Trust me you cant help people that think this way , they think everything will be fine after WDW opens back up and that numbers wont go up , you just wait for the disaster that the reopening will bring , this thread is good proof of it , people trying to find excuses not to wear masks , some that just dont want to wear them at all and think they are entitled to go anyway , some people that are at risk (asthma , heart problems etc) that will go anyway because "MUH DISNEY!".
I actually think Disney is one of the safer places you can be. I believe most will wear masks and follow the rules. Not all, but most. Will there be cases? Absolutely. Anyone who thinks there won't be is fooling themselves. The outbreaks are already happening in the bars. The indoor places with lots of people shoulder to shoulder with no masks. It's reflected in the average age of people now acquiring the virus, particularly in Florida. College age kids having parties with a known person there with the virus, everyone pitching in money, then the first person to test positive gets the money. The craziness is happening already. Being outdoors has proven to be one of the safer places you can be.

It will be up to the people visiting to do their part in keeping the parks open. With what's happening in Florida now, if Disney is still re-opening, I think it's going to take a major outbreak among the cast members to the point they can't operate the parks for them to close down.

Just my opinions for the penny they are worth.

JusticeDisney

My guess (and like everyone else, it’s merely a guess) is that we have a vaccine by next summer and Disney, while no longer requiring masks, will strongly encourage them. Remember, even a vaccine is far from foolproof.

Djsfantasi

My guess (and like everyone else, it’s merely a guess) is that we have a vaccine by next summer and Disney, while no longer requiring masks, will strongly encourage them. Remember, even a vaccine is far from foolproof.

My guess is that we don’t have a vaccine until 2022. And that Florida will end up shut down again for several months. Thus, Universal, Sea World and Disney will have a mask requirement until early 2022 at the earliest.

Last edited by a moderator:

JusticeDisney

My guess is that we don’t have a vaccine until 2022. And that Florida will end up shut down again for several months. Thus, Universal, Sea World and Disney will have a mask requirement until early 2022 at the earliest.
Well, I’m no doctor, but there are a couple of vaccine candidates that are on pace for possible approval by the end of this year or early next year, so I hope you’re wrong about the 2022 prediction. Then again, who the heck knows these days, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

davidcyndi

I hope we are on a two year plan. Another year to come out with a vaccine that has gone through all clinical trials and is approved. Another year to inoculate 382 million Americans. I plan to wear my kn95 mask wherever I go and have plenty of hand sanitizer on tap. I will follow all rules whatever they may be.

Concerning my next trip to WDW, I will wear my mask at all times and when I need to eat or drink I will be far enough away from another human so I follow all social distance rules. I will wash my hands often and whenever I have the chance to get hand sanitizer I will. I will not mask shame, I will just keep my distance from said person.

Herdman

I hope we are on a two year plan. Another year to come out with a vaccine that has gone through all clinical trials and is approved. Another year to inoculate 382 million Americans. I plan to wear my kn95 mask wherever I go and have plenty of hand sanitizer on tap. I will follow all rules whatever they may be.

Concerning my next trip to WDW, I will wear my mask at all times and when I need to eat or drink I will be far enough away from another human so I follow all social distance rules. I will wash my hands often and whenever I have the chance to get hand sanitizer I will. I will not mask shame, I will just keep my distance from said person.
Love your attitude aboout masks and the rules around them. In your post, from about "I plan to wear my kn95 mask forward it reads like a boy scout pledge or something. Maybe you could copyright it and send to Disney to make each guest pledge. hahaha

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom