wearing face masks?

Disstevefan1

You will not convince people like Castmbr. They feel that they are right despite the science and are completely convinced of their own higher intelligence on matters they know very little about. I wear a mask 8 to 10 hours a day and I have breathing issues without a mask. I still wear one and have plenty of oxygen. My wife wears one for 12+ hours every day she is at work and has no oxygen issues. I know no other person that has O2 issues while wearing a mask other than those that just don't want to wear one.

I have zero time in my life for people that think they know more than scientists and doctors. People who think things are a certain way because they just want them to be that way.

I am not a scientist but it's very simple to prove masks do not restrict oxygen and many many folks have done this on YouTube with Finger Pulse Oximeters, the exact device the hospital puts on the finger of patients.

You simply check the readings with and without the mask. There will be little or no difference

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

You can breath with a mask on. So tired of seeing people use lack of oxygen as an excuse to not wear one. I'm done here. :rolleyes: Good luck living in the new US epicenter for COVID19.
The main thing I love about the internet is how I can easily get quick medical advice from virtue signalers that aren't actually doctors. Masks make people feel uncomfortable but you don't seem to care about that. It may be right that they're not gonna "hurt" people. They probably aren't going to. However, neither is seeing a cartoon rabbit running from a cartoon fox and bear. Neither is seeing a red headed woman being auctioned off by pirates. It will literally do nothing to you. Your "oxygen levels" stay the same while looking at it. You don't get "headaches" from it. Therefore, since it doesn't actually "do anything" to people they shouldn't be complaining about those things, right? They should just shut up and get with the program, right? I'm only asking these things because I'm an aspiring virtue signaler myself and you seem like you could help me achieve my dream of becoming a virtue signaler. It seems that basically to be a virtue signaler only the things that you consider important are important. Is that basically it?

G00fyDad

The main thing I love about the internet is how I can easily get quick medical advice from virtue signalers that aren't actually doctors. Masks make people feel uncomfortable but you don't seem to care about that. It may be right that they're not gonna "hurt" people. They probably aren't going to. However, neither is seeing a cartoon rabbit running from a cartoon fox and bear. Neither is seeing a red headed woman being auctioned off by pirates. It will literally do nothing to you. Your "oxygen levels" stay the same while looking at it. You don't get "headaches" from it. Therefore, since it doesn't actually "do anything" to people they shouldn't be complaining about those things, right? They should just shut up and get with the program, right? I'm only asking these things because I'm an aspiring virtue signaler myself and you seem like you could help me achieve my dream of becoming a virtue signaler. It seems that basically to be a virtue signaler only the things that you consider important are important. Is that basically it?

You can call it what you want. My issue that I take is with people who say that wearing a mask prevents them from breathing. Forget comfort. I get sick and tired of people telling me that they cannot breathe inside of a mask and they're getting no oxygen. That is a finite statement. It's not a statement of comfort. They're telling me that they cannot get oxygen while wearing a mask. That's complete bull! Now you can take the argument of comfort if you want but that is not what we were talking about. Do I like wearing a mask for 8 to 10 hours a day? Absolutely not! I didn't used to have to wear a mask when I met with my patients. Only since the covid-19 pandemic have I started having to wear a mask all day long. My wife didn't even wear a mask all day long at her job in the hospital before the covid-19 pandemic. Neither one of us like wearing a mask. They're uncomfortable, sometimes bulky, and they either slip off my nose constantly or they're so tight on my face I feel like my ears are being pinned forward. I hate wearing the thing. Comfort wasn't the issue between me and the other member here.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

You can call it what you want. My issue that I take is with people who say that wearing a mask prevents them from breathing. Forget comfort. I get sick and tired of people telling me that they cannot breathe inside of a mask and they're getting no oxygen. That is a finite statement. It's not a statement of comfort. They're telling me that they cannot get oxygen while wearing a mask. That's complete bull! Now you can take the argument of comfort if you want but that is not what we were talking about. Do I like wearing a mask for 8 to 10 hours a day? Absolutely not! I didn't used to have to wear a mask when I met with my patients. Only since the covid-19 pandemic have I started having to wear a mask all day long. My wife didn't even wear a mask all day long at her job in the hospital before the covid-19 pandemic. Neither one of us like wearing a mask. They're uncomfortable, sometimes bulky, and they either slip off my nose constantly or they're so tight on my face I feel like my ears are being pinned forward. I hate wearing the thing. Comfort wasn't the issue between me and the other member here.
It doesn't matter what the "issue" is. The "issue" is how it makes them "feel" and we need to have compassion for how people feel and not judge them based on that right? I mean we need to be tolerant of them, right?

NickMaio

It doesn't matter what the "issue" is. The "issue" is how it makes them "feel" and we need to have compassion for how people feel and not judge them based on that right? I mean we need to be tolerant of them, right?
Sorry no.......
I dont care about how you feel if your actions can make me seriously I'll.
I am a very compassionate person otherwise.
This is a societal movement for the greater good of everyone. A few anti-conformists throwing out pathetic excuses need to think of others and not just their 'comfort'.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Sorry no.......
I dont care about how you feel if your actions can make me seriously I'll.
I am a very compassionate person otherwise.
This is a societal movement for the greater good of everyone. A few anti-conformists throwing out pathetic excuses need to think of others and not just their 'comfort'.
Let me ask you this. If Disney didn't have a mask mandate from the get go of the reopening phase would you still go?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

If only that were true - you not having time. You’re on here a lot posting the pro-mask stuff like a LOT dude. And for the record, I wear my mask whenever I go out, even though I don’t want to. It’s people who are constantly preaching it and offending others with this crap that make folks not wear them. You’re your own worst enemy.
They're virtue signalers. They're also a part of the "new normal". They've probably always existed but platforms like social media just help them to spread their virtue signaling on a larger scale. They're people who can't stand to be disagreed with and will shame those that don't agree with them and all in the name of "tolerance". Just ignore them and let them preach to their virtual choir in their perpetual echo chamber that is the internet.

mousefan1972

It’s people who are constantly preaching it and offending others with this crap that make folks not wear them. You’re your own worst enemy.

This is so true. People in general do not like to be told what to do. There are some people who feel the need to constantly lecture others. "Just wear a mask! It's not that hard!" Typically these are the same people who screamed at people back in the spring to "Just stay home! It's not that hard!" But I digress. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and like it or not, everyone has an opinion about mask wearing. Those who are constantly lecturing and shaming others who don't share their opinion aren't likely to sway anyone with that approach.

Castmbr

This is so true. People in general do not like to be told what to do. There are some people who feel the need to constantly lecture others. "Just wear a mask! It's not that hard!" Typically these are the same people who screamed at people back in the spring to "Just stay home! It's not that hard!" But I digress. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and like it or not, everyone has an opinion about mask wearing. Those who are constantly lecturing and shaming others who don't share their opinion aren't likely to sway anyone with that approach.

They're virtue signalers. They're also a part of the "new normal". They've probably always existed but platforms like social media just help them to spread their virtue signaling on a larger scale. They're people who can't stand to be disagreed with and will shame those that don't agree with them and all in the name of "tolerance". Just ignore them and let them preach to their virtual choir in their perpetual echo chamber that is the internet.

I think you are both spot on...

disdonald

I think you have to look at individual situations.
I am assuming you are wearing a mask in an AC environment.
For example, I was on a plane recently and for 2.5 hours had no problem breathing with a mask on.
Conversely, was outside in Florida humidity for 1/2 hour and it was definitely not the same. Mask got all sweaty (so breathing my sweat back in) and wet. This definitely made it tougher to breathe more normally and had to take the mask off to get some fresh air.
I think cast members outside for 4-5 hours, it may be an issue for them and I would not discount their issues since humidity affects everyone differently.

Castmbr

The attractions team I am sure would thank you for this post.....

For example, I was on a plane recently and for 2.5 hours had no problem breathing with a mask on.
Conversely, was outside in Florida humidity for 1/2 hour and it was definitely not the same. Mask got all sweaty (so breathing my sweat back in) and wet. This definitely made it tougher to breathe more normally and had to take the mask off to get some fresh air.
I think cast members outside for 4-5 hours, it may be an issue for them and I would not discount their issues since humidity affects everyone differently.

NelleBelle

The consensus with my leaders is that they expect to have loses for the foreseeable future while the mask requirement is in place. They are just accepting that for now but if there is not an uptick in attendance away from the AP and die hard Disney park fans to normal Middle America / "bread and butter" travelers that actually spend money by Dec then..... well the cuts and the sell off could be something that we have never seen before.

Until people feel comfortable traveling this is the new normal and Disney could become a shell of its original self the longer this goes on.
If this continues for 2 years.....UGH I think there might a bankrupt Disney where someone could come in and buy Disney at a huge discount....although that might not be a bad thing. For me and many cast we are looking forward to getting rid of the masks and face shields to reduce headaches due to what seems to be oxygen levels.
Both DH and I looked at the pictures posted of the very decreased-appearing crowd levels in the parks and mentioned that now would be a great time to visit WDW. But immediately, both of us said we did not want to be anywhere near FL. I think that is what WDW is going to struggle with--not necessarily the travel but the fact that FL has such huge infection rate currently and that part could be what is keeping people from visiting.

Thanks for the attack on sharing experience.... I really welcome that viewpoint. I just know that headache are being reported in a higher frequency by cast but as one person said it could be just the shield but it is reality for many amusement cast in the heat. It is possible that lower oxygen levels over a period of time based upon environment can cause issues.

I'm sure that having to work in that environment and not being used to those conditions absolutely would cause some to develop headaches (both in the physical and emotional sense). If a CM is used to drinking water throughout the day and then all of a sudden has their face covered by cloth and a plastic shield that they have to adjust, I'm sure that they are likely not drinking as much as they typically would if they didn't have to wear protective face coverings. Dehydration is likely happening 😕 I applaud all the CM and anyone who has to work outside (or frankly anywhere where a mask is on all day).

I've mentioned before that I worked on a burn unit for over 15-years and that required wearing a mask, surgical cap, gloves, plastic gown (until I got wise and started wearing the nylon surgical gowns which were WAY cooler) and were often in rooms heated 95+ with heat shields over the patients that were heated over 100 deg that we worked under. We'd be in those rooms for hours. I'd be so soaked through that I started keeping spare underwear/bras and socks to change into! I'm claustrophobic and admit that the very first few times I put on that surgical garb and stepped into that heated OR suite, I nearly passed out. I had to talk myself down and deep breathe. It did get better and learned if I was needed for a long procedure, to wear one of the cooling neck clothes under my scrubs--it definitely helped. Heres to hoping we can all lower our numbers back down again.

BASS

The bolded is quite ironic. You don't want advice from "virtue signalers" that are not doctors. Isn't the opposite true, too? Folks who are not doctors or public health experts or epidemiologists probably shouldn't be off on the internet spouting about the evils of wearing a mask, yet that certainly seems to be your tone here.

I'm not a doctor. I suspect you aren't either. How about we agree to defer to the overwhelming consensus of medical experts that we all should be wearing a mask to curtail this virus so we can resume with our lives?

As far as the rest of your post, I'm not really sure how you lump very scientific matters (masks and viruses) to pure matters of opinion. Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean . . . what you or I think about that doesn't change anything. However, ignoring public health experts on matters such as prevention does matter and it does impact our ability to curb the numbers so we can all move on.

BASS

It's. Not. An. Opinion.

I can have an opinion on what the best Disney movie or ride is. You can agree or disagree with me. However, this is not about folks' opinions. This is about science and data and studies not opinions.

NickMaio

Let me ask you this. If Disney didn't have a mask mandate from the get go of the reopening phase would you still go?
Let me as you this one time.......what is Gamora!!!.(endgame).😉
I would not go at all....mask...biohazard suit....or even personal bubble.
Just too many people touching too much stuff. Part of the WDW fun is interacting and touching everything. People can have zero symptoms and be carrying the virus. There will be throngs of covid infected people in WDW and not even know it.

Not worth it for us. Fingers crossed for next summer though........and toes crossed too..

G00fyDad

Okay. I can see how that would be a problem. A mask getting wet would prevent a lot of air from passing through. I get that. And no, I'm not inside an AC environment the entire time I'm wearing the mask. I'm outside a lot as well. However, as you say, Florida can get very humid. It's not very humid here in Indiana. I will concede that a wet mask is harder to breathe through.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Okay. I can see how that would be a problem. A mask getting wet would prevent a lot of air from passing through. I get that. And no, I'm not inside an AC environment the entire time I'm wearing the mask. I'm outside a lot as well. However, as you say, Florida can get very humid. It's not very humid here in Indiana. I will concede that a wet mask is harder to breathe through.
Thought you were done?

G00fyDad

I tend to be less tolerant of people who say they can't breathe through a mask because everyone I see saying they can't breathe through a mask is just some (you know what) walking through a grocery store. As another poster just pointed out to me the Florida humid weather can cause a person to sweat enough the block air passage through a mask. In that instance I can concede that it would be harder to breathe in a mask. It would make that mask uncomfortable. But the vast majority of individuals griping about wearing masks are simply people being asked to wear one inside of a store, hair salon, etc. My own parents and siblings refuse to wear masks because they think this whole thing is a hoax. Every single one of them use the same excuse, that they can't breathe. I really don't care about comfort. If you don't like wearing a mask but you can still breathe through the thing you need to wear the mask in public areas. I don't like wearing that big bulky thing on my face either but I do it because I'm attempting to look out for other people around me and make sure that I don't pass something to them that I don't even know that I may have. There's too much entitlement culture these days. Too many people making too many stupid excuses the why they "can't" wear a mask. There are new stories and videos every single day about people going into a store and flipping out when they're told they need to wear a mask. People spitting on the cashiers, coughing on other customer faces, starting fist fights with people because they're told to wear a mask. I just saw a story today about a couple that took off a belt and started beating a cashier for telling them they needed to wear a mask. If I were stupid enough to go to Disney right now I would at least make sure I have several masks available per person. That way if I lose one or in this case it gets wet with sweat I have a backup. Then a backup of the backup. Fortunately, you wouldn't catch me at Disney right now for any amount of money on the planet. I don't even want to go near the state of Florida right now. I've already seen Facebook comments from people on Disney Facebook sites claiming that they are going to "fight the system" and refuse to wear a mask at Disney because Disney is not going to touch them. I have a hard time believing everybody walking through Disney has a mask on. I have no doubt in my mind that Disney is encouraging people to wear a mask but I would love to hear about even a single person being kicked out of Disney World for not wearing a mask. It's not going to happen. At the end of the day we need to agree that people should just simply wear a mask until this finally starts to subside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom