wearing face masks?

Yellow Shoes

I hate masks too, but I wear them all the time now. Here is a hack that works great for us glasses wearer. Get some gaff tape. It is like duct tape, but better (and more expensive). Get a big jumbo paper clip and and contour it to your face across your nose and under your eyes (right below the glasses). Then gaff tape it to the inside top of your mask. I wen't from hating masks to moderately disliking them with this one simple process.
Yes--a wire of some kind definitely helps. Paper clip works, chenille stem (known to us old folks as a "pipe cleaner"), and those wide wire closures from bags of coffee. If you have basic sewing skills, you could whipstitch some bias tape or ribbon to make a casing for the wire.

Castmbr

The consensus with my leaders is that they expect to have loses for the foreseeable future while the mask requirement is in place. They are just accepting that for now but if there is not an uptick in attendance away from the AP and die hard Disney park fans to normal Middle America / "bread and butter" travelers that actually spend money by Dec then..... well the cuts and the sell off could be something that we have never seen before.

Until people feel comfortable traveling this is the new normal and Disney could become a shell of its original self the longer this goes on. If this continues for 2 years.....UGH I think there might a bankrupt Disney where someone could come in and buy Disney at a huge discount....although that might not be a bad thing. For me and many cast we are looking forward to getting rid of the masks and face shields to reduce headaches due to what seems to be oxygen levels.

NickMaio

The consensus with my leaders is that they expect to have loses for the foreseeable future while the mask requirement is in place. They are just accepting that for now but if there is not an uptick in attendance away from the AP and die hard Disney park fans to normal Middle America / "bread and butter" travelers that actually spend money by Dec then..... well the cuts and the sell off could be something that we have never seen before.

Until people feel comfortable traveling this is the new normal and Disney could become a shell of its original self the longer this goes on. If this continues for 2 years.....UGH I think there might a bankrupt Disney where someone could come in and buy Disney at a huge discount....although that might not be a bad thing. For me and many cast we are looking forward to getting rid of the masks and face shields to reduce headaches due to what seems to be oxygen levels.
If Disney were to get bought out. That would be a bad thing.....you think things were tight over the last decade with park maintenance. Pure private ownership will make that 1 million times worse.

G00fyDad

Really?? Low O2 levels with masks? I am so tired of hearing that argument. My wife and I wear masks all day long walking around all over the place at work and our O2 levels still read more than adequate on a pulse ox. The mask does NOT inhibit breathing. If it does then you need to stop buying plastic for a mask.

Jon81uk

For me and many cast we are looking forward to getting rid of the masks and face shields to reduce headaches due to what seems to be oxygen levels.

Headaches are more likely just the shield strap feeling tight around your head. Or maybe dehydration if you are drinking less as the mask makes it more of a conscious effort to remove to get some water, don't forget to stay hydrated!

There are plenty of posts from doctors on the web that show masks do not affect oxygen saturation.

Castmbr

Really?? Low O2 levels with masks? I am so tired of hearing that argument. My wife and I wear masks all day long walking around all over the place at work and our O2 levels still read more than adequate on a pulse ox. The mask does NOT inhibit breathing. If it does then you need to stop buying plastic for a mask.

Thanks for the attack on sharing experience.... I really welcome that viewpoint. I just know that headache are being reported in a higher frequency by cast but as one person said it could be just the shield but it is reality for many amusement cast in the heat. It is possible that lower oxygen levels over a period of time based upon environment can cause issues.

Jon81uk

Thanks for the attack on sharing experience.... I really welcome that viewpoint. I just know that headache are being reported in a higher frequency by cast but as one person said it could be just the shield but it is reality for many amusement cast in the heat. It is possible that lower oxygen levels over a period of time based upon environment can cause issues.

It wasn't an attack on the reports of headaches, just on the theory that it is low oxygen levels. Wearing a face sheild with a poorly fitting strap probably is causing headaches. But it is highly unlikely it has anything to do with oxygen levels.

Here are a few links

In short, wearing a cloth mask is not affecting oxygen levels. Wearing a heavier one (such as N95) for significant periods may have an effect, but is only a concern if you have pre-existing conditions.

Castmbr

It wasn't an attack on the reports of headaches, just on the theory that it is low oxygen levels. Wearing a face sheild with a poorly fitting strap probably is causing headaches. But it is highly unlikely it has anything to do with oxygen levels.

Here are a few links

In short, wearing a cloth mask is not affecting oxygen levels. Wearing a heavier one (such as N95) for significant periods may have an effect, but is only a concern if you have pre-existing conditions.

OK

G00fyDad

You can breath with a mask on. So tired of seeing people use lack of oxygen as an excuse to not wear one. I'm done here. :rolleyes: Good luck living in the new US epicenter for COVID19.

mousedroid

I wear a mask every time I'm around folks in public (just not on my daily, solo walks), but I'm fortunate in that I have been able to work from home this whole time and don't have to wear one all day. I've found that when I do wear one, I tend to unconsciously clench my jaw while wearing it. After even a short (20-30 minute) trip to the grocery store, I can feel the tightness in my jaw and neck that results from it.

Maybe that's what's causing, or contributing to, headaches for some of the Cast Members. I'm sure it's not a stress-free job in the first place, and under these circumstances, it's got to be a lot more stressful.

Castmbr

I wear a mask every time I'm around folks in public (just not on my daily, solo walks), but I'm fortunate in that I have been able to work from home this whole time and don't have to wear one all day. I've found that when I do wear one, I tend to unconsciously clench my jaw while wearing it. After even a short (20-30 minute) trip to the grocery store, I can feel the tightness in my jaw and neck that results from it.

Maybe that's what's causing, or contributing to, headaches for some of the Cast Members. I'm sure it's not a stress-free job in the first place, and under these circumstances, it's got to be a lot more stressful.

Interesting point...thanks!

Castmbr

You can breath with a mask on. So tired of seeing people use lack of oxygen as an excuse to not wear one. I'm done here. :rolleyes: Good luck living in the new US epicenter for COVID19.

Oh man...epicenter! Golly..... I guess we will have to see but here is data to absorb for now.

G00fyDad

Oh man...epicenter! Golly..... I guess we will have to see but here is data to absorb for now.

Yeah. ;) Wear a mask!

(Read the VERY FIRST line here. ;) )

G00fyDad

@Castmbr
Laugh if you want. Wear a mask. If not then just admit that you don't care about others but pick one.

Oh, look! ANOTHER source citing Florida as the new epicenter. Wow. It's just common knowledge everywhere isn't it?

Disstevefan1

Folks just wear masks, its no big deal. If you think there is some sort of risk due to lack of oxygen, think of a surgeon working on a patient for 6 hours with a mask! And remember, the surgeon wears a mask so they do not infect the patient. Same goes here.

I wear a mask while mowing my lawn, in Central Florida, hot and humid as heck, I forget the mask is on.

Just like we keep calm and carry on in the heat and humidity when at the theme parks, we must keep calm and carry on and wear masks.

G00fyDad

Folks just wear masks, its no big deal. If you think there is some sort of risk due to lack of oxygen, think of a surgeon working on a patient for 6 hours with a mask! And remember, the surgeon wears a mask so they do not infect the patient. Same goes here.

I wear a mask while mowing my lawn, in Central Florida, hot and humid as heck, I forget the mask is on.

Just like we keep calm and carry on in the heat and humidity when at the theme parks, we must keep calm and carry on and wear masks.

You will not convince people like Castmbr. They feel that they are right despite the science and are completely convinced of their own higher intelligence on matters they know very little about. I wear a mask 8 to 10 hours a day and I have breathing issues without a mask. I still wear one and have plenty of oxygen. My wife wears one for 12+ hours every day she is at work and has no oxygen issues. I know no other person that has O2 issues while wearing a mask other than those that just don't want to wear one.

I have zero time in my life for people that think they know more than scientists and doctors. People who think things are a certain way because they just want them to be that way.

Castmbr

You will not convince people like Castmbr. They feel that they are right despite the science and are completely convinced of their own higher intelligence on matters they know very little about. I wear a mask 8 to 10 hours a day and I have breathing issues without a mask. I still wear one and have plenty of oxygen. My wife wears one for 12+ hours every day she is at work and has no oxygen issues. I know no other person that has O2 issues while wearing a mask other than those that just don't want to wear one.

I am sorry that you feel that way...... :( I did not know that I was beyond debate.

Last edited:

cookiee_munster

Please help me understand the use of masks.
If I wear a mask, I am wearing it to protect others from my breathing of water droplets. (that seems to be the most common answer)
If the mask prevents water droplets from spreading by being contained within my mask when I exhale, I would assume the same goes for droplets coming into the mask when I inhale. Those droplets would be contained on the outside of the mask.

If a mask contains droplets from exiting and entering the mask, I think as long as I wear a mask and practice the 6 ft of physical distancing, it should not matter what other people do. I am protecting myself. Am I missing something? Does a mask not protect me?

As funny as this is (the pic ive posted), it kind of helps you understand the importance of masks.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-01-at-4.34.20-PM-e1588365423770.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom