wearing face masks?

Matt_Black

Have you been reading that they won't be wearing them for 12 hours straight. Man, let it go. You are continuously trying to make a fictitious point. That is why you asked me if I was able to take a break without the mask and I told you that for about a rounded off, scattered 40 minutes out of 720 minutes a day, I was able to successfully not wear a body mask. I know what you are saying but you are creating a false narrative. No one will have to wear it for 8 or 12 hours straight and no one would. Stop pounding home a point that has no point.

And even if someoned DID have to wear it for 8 or 12 hours at a time, so what? EL SANTO wore a mask all day everyday for 40 years!

Shouldigo12

If there is a vaccine by January, corona will be forgotten about like H1N1, SARS, etc. it won’t be a cure but definitely a way for much less people to die and hospitals overflow. We’ll be out of this, we just need to pray a vaccine can come out ASAP
And for an extra little dose of optimism, even if the January vaccine doesn't work out there's other vaccines that are in human trials right now, and many, many more being worked on that haven't reached that stage yet. It would be great if we had one by the start of next year, if that fails not all is doomed.

Ali Mouse

I don't know if this has already been answered or asked but...
For those of you that purchased masks from shop disney - how long did it take you to get them once your preorder date came about? So basically, how long was the shipping?

Heppenheimer

RE: Vaccines.

If all goes well, the first vaccine might be approved by this fall, but the winter seems more likely. We don't know yet if any of the vaccines under study right now will confer complete or partial immunity.

And even when the first vaccine gets approval granted, it will take several months to ramp up production enough so that it will be available to the general public. It will likely be rationed to health care workers and first responders in virus hot-spots initially.

Problems with quality control in the manufacturing process could also hinder the wide-spread availability of a vaccine.

So, in the most optimistic timeline possible, I don't foresee vaccination of the general public reaching a critical threshold until next summer, at the earliest.

Therefore, I would expect the mask requirement to remain in effect through until next summer and likely beyond.

Last edited:

Herdman

I'm not planning to exploit a loophole. As I mentioned, I fully intend to try and adhere to the rule. My concern is wearing a mask non-stop for several hours in scorching heat. If it becomes unbearable I will remove it for periods of time, away from anyone else. I am just positing that there are loopholes that may try to be exploited. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Yes, I didn't mean "your loophole" as if you would do it, just that you listed it here. haha

Herdman

I think the thing that will need to be monitored is the person who doesn't really want to wear a mask, but wears one to get in. Then after a short period of time, buys a bottle of water and just carries it around all day with the mask under their chin. Each time a cast member approaches, they say "I'm drinking water in this 90 degree weather. I'll put the mask back on when I finish.". Then they continue to walk around holding the bottle, occasionally taking a drink with the mask still under their chin.

The people that really care won't do this. They will respect the rule that Disney has put into place and will wear the mask as they are supposed to, to protect themselves and others. This is why I've heard some podcast members say that they think you will have to sit and finish your water, pretzel, whatever you may have, then you can walk again. I guess we'll see what Disney does.

mrs moon

Original Poster
Hmmmm there has been a lot of silly squabbles on here!...i was just curious as to whether or not people think this will still l be implemented next summer!....For anyone thats in any doubt let me reassure you that wearing a face cloth will NOT protect you and if you are upset by anyone pulling their masks down and holding a bottle of water do not go!, a theme park full of crowds is not for you right now esp if you are a vulnerable or anxious person....There will not be a person there that will keep that mask in place all day and evening!....Myself and family has had this virus and have been tested positive for antibodies and although i hear we could still be at risk i refuse to stop living!..I am not young ,i am in my sixties!..If masks are still implementing next year i simply will not go as wearing that "waste of time" mask is not for me during a hot summer and esp not little children!

Goofyernmost

I think the thing that will need to be monitored is the person who doesn't really want to wear a mask, but wears one to get in. Then after a short period of time, buys a bottle of water and just carries it around all day with the mask under their chin. Each time a cast member approaches, they say "I'm drinking water in this 90 degree weather. I'll put the mask back on when I finish.". Then they continue to walk around holding the bottle, occasionally taking a drink with the mask still under their chin.

The people that really care won't do this. They will respect the rule that Disney has put into place and will wear the mask as they are supposed to, to protect themselves and others. This is why I've heard some podcast members say that they think you will have to sit and finish your water, pretzel, whatever you may have, then you can walk again. I guess we'll see what Disney does.
Yea, because it is almost impossible to raise it up or pull it down to take a drink. I certainly hope that those that decide to try and cheat the system at least come up with a less lame excuse.

Goofyernmost

Hmmmm there has been a lot of silly squabbles on here!...i was just curious as to whether or not people think this will still l be implemented next summer!....For anyone thats in any doubt let me reassure you that wearing a face cloth will NOT protect you and if you are upset by anyone pulling their masks down and holding a bottle of water do not go!, a theme park full of crowds is not for you right now esp if you are a vulnerable or anxious person....There will not be a person there that will keep that mask in place all day and evening!....Myself and family has had this virus and have been tested positive for antibodies and although i hear we could still be at risk i refuse to stop living!..I am not young ,i am in my sixties!..If masks are still implementing next year i simply will not go as wearing that "waste of time" mask is not for me during a hot summer and esp not little children!
I'm not sure that your statement is true. It is a piece of cloth or paper filter. If it is a barrier for body fluids going out, it is the same material coming in. To say it doesn't prevent you from bringing in someone else's particles is just bogus. What isn't bogus is that it helps block it from both directions and if everyone wore them there would, in affect, be a double barrier and that would go a long way in bringing down the infections. Why are such simple things so difficult to understand. Even if you believe that is doesn't protect you, then not wearing one near someone else that is not wearing one makes you a giant target and you should be encouraging everyone to use one just to protect yourself.

mrs moon

Original Poster
I'm not sure that your statement is true. It is a piece of cloth or paper filter. If it is a barrier for body fluids going out, it is the same material coming in. To say it doesn't prevent you from bringing in someone else's particles is just bogus. What isn't bogus is that it helps block it from both directions and if everyone wore them there would, in affect, be a double barrier and that would go a long way in bringing down the infections. Why are such simple things so difficult to understand. Even if you believe that is doesn't protect you, then not wearing one near someone else that is not wearing one makes you a giant target and you should be encouraging everyone to use one just to protect yourself.
All it means is ..instead of the particles hitting you .its hitting your mask (which is then contaminated and needs throwing} and as soon as you adjust,touch or the child you may be carrying touches that mask you are too contaminated!..the only way of avoiding this virus is social distancing ,which i dont really believe you can do the worlds biggest theme park...

Goofyernmost

All it means is ..instead of the particles hitting you .its hitting your mask (which is then contaminated and needs throwing} and as soon as you adjust,touch or the child you may be carrying touches that mask you are too contaminated!..the only way of avoiding this virus is social distancing ,which i dont really believe you can do the worlds biggest theme park...
And somehow that's not better then just having it go directly into your mouth and nose? I guess if ones quest is to get the virus more quickly and without any chance of prevention, then go without.

mrs moon

Original Poster
And somehow that's not better then just having it go directly into your mouth and nose? I guess if ones quest is to get the virus more quickly and without any chance of prevention, then go without.
as i said, i have already had the virus, even though i wear a duck mask, gown & gloves when faced with covid patients, as my job is nurse on a medical ward.....Like i said wearing that surgical, or Disney made face covering will not protect you!....If you have not had, or want to protect your family from this virus then i suggest you read "Disney small print at bottom of booking" stating they cannot take any responsibility as you will be exposed to risk!....(with mask on)....
By visiting Walt Disney World Resort you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

as i said, i have already had the virus, even though i wear a duck mask, gown & gloves when faced with covid patients, as my job is nurse on a medical ward.....Like i said wearing that surgical, or Disney made face covering will not protect you!....If you have not had, or want to protect your family from this virus then i suggest you read "Disney small print at bottom of booking" stating they cannot take any responsibility as you will be exposed to risk!....(with mask on)....
As a nurse you are far more exposed then the average person, unless they attend a rally or something. So it is not surprising that at some point you touched your mask and latter touched your face because you are in an environment that is packed with it. Most of us are not and having a mask helps a lot. You may find a few people that wore a mask and got the virus but unless you followed those people around every second for the last 5 months or so you have no idea what or who they might have had contact with. On top of that you have no idea how many didn't get it because they were wearing a mask. Perhaps the mask is what prevented them from getting it and you would have had no reason to hear about it.

None of us know for sure, but is it worth taking that chance. I personally don't think so. I'd rather be around this time next year to discuss the hardship memories then to be having flowers put on my grave on Memorial Day. As far as the "mask on" butt covering statement, they are smart enough to know that people just by habit will touch their face, take the mask of to eat or drink and what it is saying is everyone is personally responsible for their own health. However, how much one chooses to minimize their exposure seems to be a personal decision and shouldn't have people that don't really know, because the most intelligent medical mind is not sure what exactly to do other then minimize. 99% of all people from 0 to 64 will probably survive. My guess is that those over 65 that do not make it amount to in the 60% category. Is it fair to keep telling them that as if you know for sure? That's a big responsibility to burden yourself with. I know I wouldn't want to do it. What it boils down to is unless it is absolutely required by the government or by the people whose private property you want to put yourself in, I guess no one can make you, but that is your show of strength and I don't see why it is justified to advise others to do the same.

mrs moon

Original Poster
As a nurse you are far more exposed then the average person, unless they attend a rally or something. So it is not surprising that at some point you touched your mask and latter touched your face because you are in an environment that is packed with it. Most of us are not and having a mask helps a lot. You may find a few people that wore a mask and got the virus but unless you followed those people around every second for the last 5 months or so you have no idea what or who they might have had contact with. On top of that you have no idea how many didn't get it because they were wearing a mask. Perhaps the mask is what prevented them from getting it and you would have had no reason to hear about it.

None of us know for sure, but is it worth taking that chance. I personally don't think so. I'd rather be around this time next year to discuss the hardship memories then to be having flowers put on my grave on Memorial Day. As far as the "mask on" butt covering statement, they are smart enough to know that people just by habit will touch their face, take the mask of to eat or drink and what it is saying is everyone is personally responsible for their own health. However, how much one chooses to minimize their exposure seems to be a personal decision and shouldn't have people that don't really know, because the most intelligent medical mind is not sure what exactly to do other then minimize. 99% of all people from 0 to 64 will probably survive. My guess is that those over 65 that do not make it amount to in the 60% category. Is it fair to keep telling them that as if you know for sure? That's a big responsibility to burden yourself with. I know I wouldn't want to do it. What it boils down to is unless it is absolutely required by the government or by the people whose private property you want to put yourself in, I guess no one can make you, but that is your show of strength and I don't see why it is justified to advise others to do the same.
Keep safe;;

thomas998

Below is a breakdown of the deaths as of 6/27/20 by age in the US. The percentage of deaths for over people over 65 was just over 80%... So the better question is should the country shut down because of the risk to the retired people or would it be more sane to begin with for the people 65 and over to just stay locked in until a vaccine is found. Frankly from the numbers I don't see any reason for anyone under the age of 25 to even worry about it. as you move up from there sure you might need to be more careful but the overwhelming majority of deaths are of those 65 and above. It would be nice is some researchers would do some random studies of people to try and come up with a reasonable number for how many people in each age group are actually even infected because then you could really get an idea of just how dangerous the virus is and make some reasonable assumptions about the mortality rates which at this point are still vastly overstated by the fact that only those sick enough to seek medical treatment are being counted as infected when it is clearly lots more are infected but never get counted.
Total DeathsPercent of Total
Under 1 year 9
0.01%​
1-4 years 6
0.01%​
5-14 years 14
0.01%​
15-24 years 142
0.13%​
25-34 years 770
0.69%​
35-44 years 1,972
1.76%​
45-54 years 5,488
4.89%​
55-64 years 13,465
12.00%​
65-74 years 23,333
20.79%​
75-84 years 29,779
26.54%​
85 years and over 37,245
33.19%​

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
As a nurse I would have expected you to know the wearing of a cloth facemask isn't about protecting yourself but mitigating the spread of the virus to other people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom