wearing face masks?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
107084897_10158287707430915_6619537648285841098_n.jpg

mrs moon

Original Poster
I started this thread but think maybe its time to close?........I am not sure whether to laugh or cringe......Is this thread real?, Is this also a childrens site?.....There is pictures posted of "Alsatians with masks on!, and the weirdest comments i have ever heard!.......Ok i have decided to laugh and "bow out.......Be safe everyone....

disdonald

Please help me understand the use of masks.
If I wear a mask, I am wearing it to protect others from my breathing of water droplets. (that seems to be the most common answer)
If the mask prevents water droplets from spreading by being contained within my mask when I exhale, I would assume the same goes for droplets coming into the mask when I inhale. Those droplets would be contained on the outside of the mask.

If a mask contains droplets from exiting and entering the mask, I think as long as I wear a mask and practice the 6 ft of physical distancing, it should not matter what other people do. I am protecting myself. Am I missing something? Does a mask not protect me?

wendysue

I started this thread but think maybe its time to close?........I am not sure whether to laugh or cringe......Is this thread real?, Is this also a childrens site?.....There is pictures posted of "Alsatians with masks on!, and the weirdest comments i have ever heard!.......Ok i have decided to laugh and "bow out.......Be safe everyone....
Yes, probably better to close it. All you did was ask what the chances are of face masks next year and look what it devolves into...Seems you cannot have an opinion anymore without getting roasted. The behavior of some people and the total lack of responsibility by them has led us to, sadly, decide to just stay home. I cannot understand how (some people) don't care if they see their older family members or care about them if it interferes with their fun. Hopefully they don't lose those family members. :(

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Don't run away yet . It's only getting started.

Goofyernmost

Please help me understand the use of masks.
If I wear a mask, I am wearing it to protect others from my breathing of water droplets. (that seems to be the most common answer)
If the mask prevents water droplets from spreading by being contained within my mask when I exhale, I would assume the same goes for droplets coming into the mask when I inhale. Those droplets would be contained on the outside of the mask.

If a mask contains droplets from exiting and entering the mask, I think as long as I wear a mask and practice the 6 ft of physical distancing, it should not matter what other people do. I am protecting myself. Am I missing something? Does a mask not protect me?
No you are correct. Leadership has decided that trying to make a hero out of it, is that it prevents others from exposure and that saying it helped you gave you an option whether or not to take a chance. Commons sense, however, tells you that it blocks it both directions.

What it boils down to is if everyone wore them we would all be protected to an equal degree thus increasing our chances of survival.

disdonald

No you are correct. Leadership has decided that trying to make a hero out of it, is that it prevents others from exposure and that saying it helped you gave you an option whether or not to take a chance. Commons sense, however, tells you that it blocks it both directions.

What it boils down to is if everyone wore them we would all be protected to an equal degree thus increasing our chances of survival.
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. Maybe stress the 2 way protection more as to just protecting others

Heppenheimer

Not necessarily. The droplet particles are at their largest when they leave your mouth, and your breath goes directly into the mesh of the mask. Surgical masks are mostly designed to catch a certain size of droplet, ie, the size that the surgeon is exhaling.

Droplet nuclei tend to break up into smaller particles as they float through the air. The masks most of us are now wearing are too porous to effectively filter out the smaller particles, although they probably stop enough to be better than nothing. Also, whereas most of the exhaled droples go directly into the mask, a significant amount of the particles a person inhales can get drawn in from the sides of the mask.

So yes, it does filter in both directions, but the particles it is best designed to filter mostly come from only one direction.

A mask probably offers some protection for a wearer, but not enough if everyone else surrounding them isn't wearing one.

This is why it needs to be stressed again and again, nobody is adequately protected unless most of us wear masks.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not necessarily. The droplet particles are at their largest when they leave your mouth, and your breath goes directly into the mesh of the mask. Surgical masks are mostly designed to catch a certain size of droplet, ie, the size that the surgeon is exhaling.

Droplet nuclei tend to break up into smaller particles as they float through the air. The masks most of us are now wearing are too porous to effectively filter out the smaller particles, although they probably stop enough to be better than nothing. Also, whereas most of the exhaled droples go directly into the mask, a significant amount of the particles a person inhales can get drawn in from the sides of the mask.

So yes, it does filter in both directions, but the particles it is best designed to filter mostly come from only one direction.

A mask probably offers some protection for a wearer, but not enough if everyone else surrounding them isn't wearing one.

This is why it needs to be stressed again and again, nobody is adequately protected unless most of us wear masks.
Thank you for posting something worth reading.

Goofyernmost

The highlight was exactly my point. If everyone wore one then the protection is close to double for everybody. With some randomly spewing "droplets" with nothing to stop them will contaminate others where they wouldn't if they both had a mask. In this case there is absolutely strength in numbers.

disneymom57

I know that there is no crystal ball ,no one knows for how long these will be needed...but at a guess do you think they will still be a requirement next summer?
I hope not, I was hoping by this Sept. things would of been at near normalcy. Who knows for sure anyway.

NickMaio

Based on the assumption of vaccine in 2021 and mass vaccination by 2022, here’s one opinion:

The US is over 3 million now.....masks are going to be here for a while.

Parker in NYC

The highlight was exactly my point. If everyone wore one then the protection is close to double for everybody. With some randomly spewing "droplets" with nothing to stop them will contaminate others where they wouldn't if they both had a mask. In this case there is absolutely strength in numbers.

Absolutely! But like Mike Tyson said, “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.” Disney has to expect massive, at times angry customer non-compliance. Disobedient folks who find themselves “unconstitutionally” ejected (screaming kids and all) after having come all that way and paid all that money, are going to blow all their already over-pressured gaskets.

DugLovesU

Very wrong. Disney has been extremely clear and blunt about the requirements. Cast Members are being instructed to enforce mask wearing the whole time and if a guest is resistant, they will be removed from the park. There is no wiggle room. Those who throw a fit will see consequences quickly. Which is exactly the way it should be. If people are too fussy and whiny to follow the rules and wear masks consistently, they do not deserve to be in the park and need to stay home. And if someone is not wearing one, I hope every other person there pushes them out of the way, removes them from line, and shames them until they either put their mask on or are removed. They aren't following the rules, so they shouldn't expect any rules or policies to protect them, either.
New attraction coming to all four parks! Grab a seat by the exit and watch non-mask-wearers being perp-walked out of the park! Who says WDW 2020 can't be fun? AND it's even non-IP (Unless Disney now owns the rights to "Cops".)

disneygeek90

Fact of the matter is that no one on this thread (me included) has experienced wearing a medical mask outdoors in a theme park for 8 hours straight in 90 degree weather - compounded with stifling humidity.

So it's great that we all agree (including me) that masks should be worn. But to say that under the before-mentioned circumstances that 8 hours is easy-peasy and we will not get to a point during our visit that we may potentially need to remove the mask for brief periods - possibly for health reasons - is beyond absurd.
Yeah, that's false. Universal has been open for a month. I've been several days, some of them during the heat of the day from 12pm-7pm. I'm usually wearing a thick cloth mask as it fits the best.

You get used to it. If you need a mask break, go to a relaxation zone. Most people are slipping their mask down between bites or sips of their drink out of respect for those around them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom