We need a new Mansion-Watch thread...

brkgnews

I'm pretty sure there's a door where the stretch rooms open up to that goes through a hallway and right to unload.
Yup. The "chicken exit" right at the stretchroom exits goes to a hallway where the doombuggies do a turn-around to get from unload to onload. The other entrance to the hallway is seen as a "servant's quarters" entrance near the ride's exit (just before you get back outside. This hallway serves both as chicken exit and as accessibility entrance for those in wheelchairs. And it's also heavily themed since it is used fairly regularly by guests.

ChrisMyst

The technical aspects of the DLP version are superior. However, I went there with then DD3, and mom and dad remembered the WDW and DL versions, and so we thought it would be no problem. But boy were we surprised. She hated it right from "Mai, ou sortier?". Much darker with more goulish stuff.

My personal impression is that it wasn't "Disneyesque" enough. That could simply have been achieved by having a bit more whimsy all around, and eliminate some of the corpses sitting in the corners, which really add very little.

I hope the refurb doesn't go too far. I love the Disneyesque feel of the old HM, and would hate to see that lost. Technical updates, lick o' paint, full color illusions, update animatronics, all good ideas; but leave out the blood and guts, and the scarier narration.

By the way, I love the instruments, even though they're a bit cheesy. In fact, in some ways the cheesiness adds to the experience. Corny comic relief factor IMO is cool. Relieves the tension. I remember giggling every time I went by.

Wjile I agree that the DLP version is spookier, I feel the MK version is so much better. Although the story is supposedly stronger in Paris, the lack of narration spoils this. Also the western ghost town version of the graveyard scene is so un-disney. I do like the french in the lobby though, it's really chilling :)

Mansion Butler

i can bet one of the outside changes is the old turnstyles will go away. one of the relics of the a-e ticket system, might keep some of the larger guests from having a hard time squeezing thru, & perhaps allow wheelchair access thru the front door not the exit. but then there is the pesky problem of how to get the wheelchair to unload. unless a "doombuggy" is finally made this is wheelchair ready. hmmmmmmmmm:wave:

Turnstiles are already gone. Photocells.

Mansion Butler

I'm pretty sure there's a door where the stretch rooms open up to that goes through a hallway and right to unload.

Yes, sort've. It's just inside the hallway that leads away from unload. It goes from there directly through to the beginning of the entry hall. It's called Full of Fear.

Then, of course, there's the hallway that goes directly from the crypt area to the foyer. That's servant's quarters.

Garfieldcool

Bye-Bye Pop-Ups!

Does anyone know if that the pop-ups in the attic will be replaced with a picture of Constence's husbands? I also read when you go by the pictures you hear an axe sound effect then the husband is headless!

ghostlyguitar

Nobody's quite sure what's going in place of the pop-ups, though they have most assuredly disappeared. There were rumors flying around not too long ago that talked about full ghostly figures being placed in the attic (and apparently subsequently being scrapped), but nothing has been confirmed yet. We may have to wait and see what happens when the ride re-opens in September...

-Adam-

Garfieldcool

Nobody's quite sure what's going in place of the pop-ups, though they have most assuredly disappeared. There were rumors flying around not too long ago that talked about full ghostly figures being placed in the attic (and apparently subsequently being scrapped), but nothing has been confirmed yet. We may have to wait and see what happens when the ride re-opens in September...

-Adam-

Click on the link and then read under the attic section it cleary states that the pop-ups disappear and are replaced by the ghoulish wedding pictures. (Ofcourse it's only in DLR for now! But I think there is a very high chance that WDW will make the attic just like the one in DLR since there adding a lot of stuff from DLR to the WDW Mansion! I just learned about this earlier today since I've never been to DLR!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Mansion

RiversideBunny

It's sort of a secondary thing in relation to the better effects for the ride, but wasn't there some mention that the make over would include a Haunted Mansion gift shop?
It's almost a joke that at WDW you always exit through a gift shop.
Haunted Mansion didn't, in the past, have one.

My personal angle on this question is that I'm trying to find where to buy one of those skulls that sit on a desk or shelf and glow in the dark.
They haven't been around much lately, I think.

:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's sort of a secondary thing in relation to the better effects for the ride, but wasn't there some mention that the make over would include a Haunted Mansion gift shop?
It's almost a joke that at WDW you always exit through a gift shop.
Haunted Mansion didn't, in the past, have one.

My personal angle on this question is that I'm trying to find where to buy one of those skulls that sit on a desk or shelf and glow in the dark.

Many, many moons ago they sold those at the PotC gift shop. I still have one that I got when I was a teenager.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was a while back, but as of now the plan has been mothballed. At least for an exit shop.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I believe there is a villians themed candy shop at Disney studios that I saw those at. They had a bunch of goth type stuff, and Jack Skellington stuff. I want to say I remember seeing those there.

AEfx

Original Poster
There was a while back, but as of now the plan has been mothballed. At least for an exit shop.

It's so sad, too. The ONE ride I really think could use one. It would be a nice buffer before you return to the outside world, much like the shop at ToT is.

AEfx

cb3k

It's so sad, too. The ONE ride I really think could use one. It would be a nice buffer before you return to the outside world, much like the shop at ToT is.

AEfx
I agree that the HM could definitely use a very eerie gift shop, HOWEVER if the Mansion was granted a proposed budget of "X" amount of dollars, I am glad that the money was allocated towards making it to be a significantly enhanced ride, and that not even the smallest amount of that budget was used on a gift shop...IMHO HM and JC are the last of a dying breed not to be tarnished by a "Buy your Photo"/ Giftshop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom