Trip Report We are GROOT!

Hello friends! Well it has finally arrived and the five of us are packed up and headed to Disney World for a mega trip. We are on the road now and stopping in Columbia, South Carolina for the night. (Max we also have 2 ToyotasšŸ˜)We left a little later than we wanted to because our 2 cats, sensing our departure, escaped outside.

The cast is the same as usual, my crazy Disney family, my husband, Den, my oldest son Hunter, 18, middle child Camden, 11, Brinley, 7 and me, Deighton! Hunter graduated from highschool on June 2 and is doing a year at community College to get his prerequisites out of the way. Our extended trip is his graduation present. (His choice! Who am I to say no.) Plenty of details to come! Happy Thursday everyone! Woohoo!!
20230607_195608.jpg
20230602_171622.jpg
20230602_175627.jpg

20230608_063815.jpg

littleroo

Original Poster
Such a fun TR!! Thank you for taking the time to do itā€”especially live!! Iā€™m always in amazement of how one can accomplish that!!
Also, the heat is still going strong here!! We arrived Friday night & every day has been hot but yesterday felt unbearable!!
I think the opposite lol. For me a livish trip report is easier then coming home and trying to remember details.
It is rainy and in the 60s in Pittsburgh currently. I will take this weather over that humidity any day. So many nights we wanted to go back into the parks but Brin was just on empty from the heat.
I hope you are having an amazing trip and can't wait to hear about it in 6 monthsšŸ˜…
P.S. I certainly learned why you love Riverside so muchā¤

littleroo

Original Poster
Hello friends! Let me tell you something, these red alert air quality days are scary. I can't let the cats or kids out for any length of time. It is crazy to smell smoke and plastic in the air all the from Max, I mean Canada! The haze is so thick we have one mile visibility. Thank heavens Cam just ran around Disney for 2 weeks. Keeping him indoors is traumatic for both of us! I can't imagine how awful it must be in Canada. I pray for everyone's safety.
Quarantine Love GIF by Ryn Dean

littleroo

Original Poster
I guess I will start my thought process on my favorite restaurant and experience in Disney which I know is controversial right now. Lol Let's start my wrap up with Flying Fish.
Flying Fish GIF by Ludo Studio

Just a reminder, if the Trattoria had been open we would have never gone to Flying Fish. Quite honestly, we probably would not have stayed at the Boardwalk if we had known the Trattoria was going to be closed. The 5 items at the deli do not cut it with us foodies. (Sadly, it will be our last stay at The Boardwalk with the kids for sure. One bathroom and limited space doesn't cut it for us. AKL is so much bigger. There were many a bathroom fight on this trip.)
angry door GIF by South Park

The boys headed to Epcot together and it was hot! I didn't want to go far so we headed down to Flying Fish. We asked the hostess if there was space for 3 and we were seated immediately but at the bar. I almost said something for 2 reasons. One, the obvious, it is a bar and Brin is with us and two, she is not the most coordinated creature on the face of earth. I was afraid she would fall off the bar stoolšŸ™ƒ
bike falling GIF

I am so glad that I said nothing and was just grateful for the seat in air conditioning.

We were greeted by Austin the bartender. To be honest, I don't think he was happy to see 2 parents and a child sitting at the bar. Now remember from the live report, it was Amber, the new proprietor, first day! There was an excessively snobby couple with a child sitting next to us waiting for pizza and drinking water! Yep you heard me pizza! As a bartender, every stool at a bar counts and is revenue. As I quickly figured out what was going on, I felt really bad for Austin. First the highly entitled people repeatedly asked when the pizza was coming because they were so hungry. This woman was unbearable!
Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Then Amber brought the pizza and they ordered more. By now you can probably guess that Flying Fish doesn't sell pizza. Amber was ordering it for them at The Boardwalk pizza take out. Obviously, that was much of our entertainment.

We quickly made friends with Austin when I asked if I could get food from the deli and eat at the bar.šŸ˜ The rest is history.

Most of our outstanding experiences have been with bartenders and you can see it in other trip reports as well. I highly recommend, if you don't have kids, sitting at the bar. Bartenders and servers are 2 completely different jobs. Plus at the bar, sharing an entrƩe or just getting an appetizer or just a cocktail or having a water and an entrƩe are all acceptable. You don't have to drink to sit at the bar but if you do that you really should eat. Just my opinions and I am not starting any wars. Trying to be helpful and honest.

I can not wait to go back to Disney for many reasons but I can't wait to eat that NY strip steak again! The lobster bisque also won high honors along with the blueberry vinaigrette.
20230618_204801.jpg

The NY strip med rare won the best meal in Disney! We ate at Flying Fish 3 times total!
Austin waited on us the first and third time and Bill waited on us the 2nd time. Austin is great! Bill is outstanding! He is the one who convinced me to get the NY strip which Den and I split happily. He also has great stories of meeting Michael Simon, who is one of my culinary heroes, so we were throughly entertained.

We went back the third time with one thing in mind the NY strip med rare but it came out medium well. For the second time this trip and last time, I sent it back for a new one. Austin was extremely apologetic and said he wouldn't have eaten that either. The correctly cooked NY strip was as amazing and perfectly cooked.

I will say it hundreds of times in this lifetime, food is important but experienced servers/bartenders make the difference. Happy thirsty Thursday everybody!

littleroo

Original Poster
Loved reading your trip report - Thanks for taking the time to share!

Sorry about the smoke - I keep the Canadian fire fighters & all those who have traveled to help them in my thoughts every day lately - such important but dangerous work they are doing. Fingers crossed they can turn the tide and get the fires under control soon.
Thanks for following! I can't believe how scary it must be there. Thank heavens for brave souls!

littleroo

Original Poster
Best charcuterie board- Wine Bar George
20230623_170716.jpg

Enough said!

Honorable mention- The Crews Cup which we really enjoyed twice! Eric, our server on the first visit, did a great job.
20230617_175117.jpg

Best dessert- CRT and Homecoming tied- I want them both for breakfast right now.
20230617_120424.jpg

Hummingbird cake
20230613_123644.jpg

The clock strikes 12

Most talented bartender for me was Bryce at Wine Bar George. He works at the bar downstairs 4 days a week. His knowledge is overwhelming and the rate of speed he works at is truly an art form.

Most talented bartender from Den is "the guy from the Abracadabra Bar. He knew how to make anything!

Best bartender in the world, of course, Shelly!
879AB7F5-(1).jpg

Best appetizer- Homecoming Key West Shrimp cocktail
20230617_111646.jpg

Honorable mention- Yak and Yeti- ahi tuna nachos. There is no evidence that we actually ate this.

-Tutto Italia- carpaccio
20230618_125054.jpg

Best advertisement for a turkey leg- Camden
20230616_182232.jpg

Fun fact, he doesn't like turkey legsšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

More to come. TGIF

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom