WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Maybe you could do a cookie cake and a mini cake or mini wedding cake...i.e. best of both worlds. I wish I could find vids of cake reveals at WDW restaurants. I swear, that's part of the fun... just having all the heads turn and everyone getting into it.

Jessica Meier

That's what I want. She loves attention and I want her to feel so special that day. But my husband keeps reminding me we will be in WDW on her birthday isn't that enough?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
That's what I want. She loves attention and I want her to feel so special that day. But my husband keeps reminding me we will be in WDW on her birthday isn't that enough?

I see both sides of it...it's a bday and it should be celebrated as such, but WDW is so pricey that you start to feel like that in itself is a suitable pricey celebration. I wish I had a video of Kendall's cake being brought out b/c that would probably sway most dads on the fence with something like this. Well, you've still got several months...so maybe you can sway them.

dvcnut

My birthday was a few days after we would have returned from our WDW trip last year, so I told my DH that the only thing that I wanted was a custom birthday cake :) After a lot of thought, I asked for a Belle cake with Christmas accents (since we would be attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The cake was $150 and was 10" with chocolate cake and white chocolate filling. Nine of us split it and there was plenty to spare. It was brought to our villa at Wilderness Lodge on a silver platter with table linens, silverware, and a serving knife.

They were going to charge an arm and a leg to paint Belle, so we asked them to leave her be. When the cake arrived, they had hand painted her for free!

Overall we were very happy and would definitely order a custom cake again! Yes, it was ridiculously expensive but it really was a Disney experience.

8204760388_3bf3d32b5b.jpg

8203668261_0fd01aa231.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
My birthday was a few days after we would have returned from our WDW trip last year, so I told my DH that the only thing that I wanted was a custom birthday cake :) After a lot of thought, I asked for a Belle cake with Christmas accents (since we would be attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The cake was $150 and was 10" with chocolate cake and white chocolate filling. Nine of us split it and there was plenty to spare. It was brought to our villa at Wilderness Lodge on a silver platter with table linens, silverware, and a serving knife.

They were going to charge an arm and a leg to paint Belle, so we asked them to leave her be. When the cake arrived, they had hand painted her for free!

Overall we were very happy and would definitely order a custom cake again! Yes, it was ridiculously expensive but it really was a Disney experience.

8204760388_3bf3d32b5b.jpg

8203668261_0fd01aa231.jpg

The did a really nice job on painting her. :) And how AWESOME that they painted her at no extra charge...I know it can get very pricey. I guess a nice Christmas present for you guys! And great with the silver platter, etc. - nice touch!

OswaldTheRabbit

@HouCuseChickie I just ordered my sons cake for his birthday on June 7th. I was initially going to do Oswald but switched to splash mountain (his other favorite) since we are going again in November over my DH birthday and Oswald is his absolute favorite.

We will be at Tokyo Dining for dinner and it will be there. I will take picks for sure but I am not expecting too much since they are just doing a screen shot printout.

My DS will love it though!

For November I want a 2 tier cake with Oswald ears and vintage strips around it. We are eating at BOG with 14 people. I read that BOG doesn't have a fridge to hold it so I am not sure if they can do it.

Do you know which bakery does the BOG cakes?

Thanks for all the ideas!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie I just ordered my sons cake for his birthday on June 7th. I was initially going to do Oswald but switched to splash mountain (his other favorite) since we are going again in November over my DH birthday and Oswald is his absolute favorite.

We will be at Tokyo Dining for dinner and it will be there. I will take picks for sure but I am not expecting too much since they are just doing a screen shot printout.

My DS will love it though!

For November I want a 2 tier cake with Oswald ears and vintage strips around it. We are eating at BOG with 14 people. I read that BOG doesn't have a fridge to hold it so I am not sure if they can do it.

Do you know which bakery does the BOG cakes?

Thanks for all the ideas!

Contemporary bakery handles BoG, but you are correct about cake options being pretty limited there. It still can't hurt to try since these things are decided on a case by case basis. I find it funny (in a sad way) that this huge restaurant doesn't have much storage, but something fairly small like CRT is no problem. Keep us posted with both cakes :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Well, this is a new one...

On the first page, you can see there are a series of princess cakes available for CRT. This person convinced the Contemporary bakery to do a cake in that style, but instead dress her as Sofia the First and insert an edible image of Sophia in the dress.

While I know none of these cakes are "cheap," I was surprised that this was only $75. It's also the first Sophia cake I've seen and the only time I've ever seen them deviate from the stock princesses and designs for the CRT cakes.

lisak09

I am planning on ordering a birthday cake for my daughter's 11th birthday in August. We will be staying in Saratoga Springs & I am planning on having it delivered to The Turf Club Bar & Grill where we will be dining our first night. As there will only be three of us I am thinking of getting the two tier mini cake. She loves collecting vinylmations so I was wondering if they would be able to decorate it somehow with a vinylmation theme? Thanks for any help:)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am planning on ordering a birthday cake for my daughter's 11th birthday in August. We will be staying in Saratoga Springs & I am planning on having it delivered to The Turf Club Bar & Grill where we will be dining our first night. As there will only be three of us I am thinking of getting the two tier mini cake. She loves collecting vinylmations so I was wondering if they would be able to decorate it somehow with a vinylmation theme? Thanks for any help:)

Love the Vinylmation idea :) there is a small cake on page 1 of this thread that has a Vinylmation theme. My phone won't let me copy it, but it's in the 2nd to last post on page 1. (I can copy it later from home) Mind you, it's Star Wars Vinylmation, but they definitely decorate the cake in 2D stand-up Vinylmations from seeing this. You may just have to provide them images of the specific Vinylmations you'd like to see in edible form on the cake.

I know it's also super popular to have Vinylmation wedding cake toppers...I.e. for the bride & groom, but these also appear to be actual Vinylmations.

A nice blending of the ideas....pick a few to surprise her with...have edible 2d stand ups of them on the cake...then surprise her with the real things as well.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

OK...this is the cake I was thinking of...

While I'm mixed about how they look on this cake...I think it could work really well on a mini wedding cake. Boardwalk handles SSR, and they are usually pretty good with the creative elements, so that's a plus as well. And since the Vinylmation typcially come with a card bearing a 2D image of the figure...it should be fairly easy for them to get images for 2D edible standups of the various Vinylmations.

Jessica Meier

Well, this is a new one...

On the first page, you can see there are a series of princess cakes available for CRT. This person convinced the Contemporary bakery to do a cake in that style, but instead dress her as Sofia the First and insert an edible image of Sophia in the dress.

While I know none of these cakes are "cheap," I was surprised that this was only $75. It's also the first Sophia cake I've seen and the only time I've ever seen them deviate from the stock princesses and designs for the CRT cakes.
Ooohhhh I wonder if I could get Brian to do this with Belle or Mulan. :)

lisak09

OK...this is the cake I was thinking of...

While I'm mixed about how they look on this cake...I think it could work really well on a mini wedding cake. Boardwalk handles SSR, and they are usually pretty good with the creative elements, so that's a plus as well. And since the Vinylmation typcially come with a card bearing a 2D image of the figure...it should be fairly easy for them to get images for 2D edible standups of the various Vinylmations.
That looks amazing! Something like this would be perfect:)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Ooohhhh I wonder if I could get Brian to do this with Belle or Mulan. :)

What's interesting...Chef Brian supposedly refused to do this. I don't know all the details, but it sounds like he turned this lady down. She persisted and wound up working with a different chef at the Contemporary.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
That looks amazing! Something like this would be perfect:)

Great!!! You'll have to keep us posted and post cake pics after your trip :)

I'm very glad there's a thread dedicated to the awesomeness of cake.

That is HYSTERICAL!!!!! What's funny...he speaks about no cake for breakfast, but that is one of my favorite rules to break at WDW. I plan on breaking it at least once on our upcoming trip. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom