WDW will have a 4 year gap of nothing!

billDozer

I dont think its fair to complain that nothing else major is opening soon. were getting a low intensity mountain in fantasyland, and one of the most daring attempts of a land to done to date. disney doesnt need to announce a major expansion every time universal announces something. if disney maintains what they have and do regular upgrades to its infrastructure and attractions ill be happy till round the 50th.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
ive noticed that theyve done recent updates to pirates tta and dinosaur so if they just keep adding small fixes i think itll be ok

o_O
The recent upgrades to Pirates quickly deteriorated to a static skeleton and a little audio. Not to mention cracking boats.
The most recent work done to TTA was merely clean up of the EPCOT model, leaving newly exposed lighting. The cars still colide at load and there are no plans to fix that.
Dinosaur has seen no work recently other than the picture dino not working half the time.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
ive noticed that theyve done recent updates to pirates tta and dinosaur so if they just keep adding small fixes i think itll be ok
So maybe they'll also get round to PotC
And BTM
And PPF
And Space Mountain
And Buzz lightyear
And SGE
And Wishes
And SSE
And UOE
And Wonders
And Imagination
And the Harvest Theatre
And Innoventions West
And RoE (soon?)
And the AmAd
And Impressions de 82
And ToT
And Fant
And DHS in general
And Kali
And Dinosaur

-just listing attractions that have major show, tech, budget and quality issues.

Crazydisneyfanluke

So maybe they'll also get round to PotC
And BTM
And PPF
And Space Mountain
And Buzz lightyear
And SGE
And Wishes
And SSE
And UOE
And Wonders
And Imagination
And the Harvest Theatre
And Innoventions West
And RoE (soon?)
And the AmAd
And Impressions de 82
And ToT
And Fant
And DHS in general
And Kali
And Dinosaur

-just listing attractions that have major show, tech, budget and quality issues.

Hmmm... would be nice

Maybe the promotion for the next 4 years is
"4 years of Refurb"

TP2000

New Soarin film

That's all just rumor from Miceage, and only focused on the original Soarin' ride at California Adventure.

Which brings us to the logistics of getting it installed at WDW, if the Miceage rumor is true for Anaheim and gets transferred to WDW.... Soarin' at DCA is rumored by Al Lutz/Miceage to close this February and remain closed for four months to install new digital projectors and new screens, plus upgraded audio and effects equipment. A four month full-closure rehab of both theaters for DCA this winter into early summer. Which hasn't been announced or hinted at by Disney yet, by the way.

How the heck will they pull that off at Epcot where they can't afford to close anything for rehab for fear of losing precious ride capacity???

TP2000

Actually, the last MiceAge update did state the filming for the DL version would be taking place over the parks in the upcoming months. And nothing has been said, let alone confirmed, for the same to occur at WDW.

Last year Miceage said that the evening of March 12th, 2014 was the date chosen for WDI to fly over and around the Disneyland Resort in a helicopter with HD cameras capturing new footage for the new Soarin' film. Lots of folks scoffed that Miceage would have no idea six months in advance what that date was, and that even WDI staffers wouldn't know that far in advance.

Last week Miceage reminded readers of the March 12th date again, which is now much closer on the calendar. We'll have to see what happens in the skies above Disneyland on the evening of March 12th. o_O

Timothy W.

Original Poster
The thread title was for attention and to attract page views.

But in reality "WDW will have a 4 year gap of nothing!" is fan hyperbole.

First off, Spring 2014 - Late 2017 are vague time frames that most closely relate to 3.5 years. Not 4 years, as the title suggests.

Secondly, the word "nothing" in the title implies there will be in fact "nothing" added over the next 4 years. Not only is the time frame wrong, but the OP even addresses that there will in fact be new additions to the parks and resort within the '4 year gap of nothing,' ensuring that there will be 'something' rather than 'nothing'.

In addition, there are several other 'rumors' such as Star Wars, Cars, and others as well that could potentially be announced/started in this time frame. Is it likely? Not sure. Not even the insiders have a concrete foundation regarding these topics. Heck at one point Avatar was thought to be by the wayside, and here we are today. So there's always a chance.

This is not a defense of the apparent Disney ideology that nostalgia will win out and new and innovative additions can be saved for the competition. But we already have enough areas in the forums to express our displeasure with regard to the lack of new attraction additions in comparison to parks up I-4. There isn't any need for this one.

Also 'WDW will have a 3.5 year gap of minor additions, Disney Springs, and rumored big announcements" while not exactly appealing to fans, is more accurate than the above title (yet doesn't seem as interesting).

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just can't put Disney Springs into the same category as something new in the parks. I've been going to WDW since it opened. It is a given that that whole DTD district transforms into something else over and over again, gets yet another new name but still very much the same as it started when all is said and done.

So not the same as a new attraction, a park expansion, a new park, it is still what it is, DownTown Disney now with parking garages. At least when they brought in Pleasure Island it was a new concept, West Side and expansion, Springs doesn't bring anything new to the table in reality other than parking garages.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The thread title was for attention and to attract page views.

But in reality "WDW will have a 4 year gap of nothing!" is fan hyperbole.

First off, Spring 2014 - Late 2017 are vague time frames that most closely relate to 3.5 years. Not 4 years, as the title suggests.

Secondly, the word "nothing" in the title implies there will be in fact "nothing" added over the next 4 years. Not only is the time frame wrong, but the OP even addresses that there will in fact be new additions to the parks and resort within the '4 year gap of nothing,' ensuring that there will be 'something' rather than 'nothing'.

In addition, there are several other 'rumors' such as Star Wars, Cars, and others as well that could potentially be announced/started in this time frame. Is it likely? Not sure. Not even the insiders have a concrete foundation regarding these topics. Heck at one point Avatar was thought to be by the wayside, and here we are today. So there's always a chance.

This is not a defense of the apparent Disney ideology that nostalgia will win out and new and innovative additions can be saved for the competition. But we already have enough areas in the forums to express our displeasure with regard to the lack of new attraction additions in comparison to parks up I-4. There isn't any need for this one.

Also 'WDW will have a 3.5 year gap of minor additions, Disney Springs, and rumored big announcements" while not exactly appealing to fans, is more accurate than the above title (yet doesn't seem as interesting).

Yes, but when it comes to new things to do in the park, the OP's only sins are rounding 3.5 up to 4 and not specifying "things to do in the parks" which is, generally, the primary thing people think of when they think of WDW. DTD is secondary to most guests and groundbreakings and construction, while exciting for us, aren't something enjoyed by guests.

Timothy W.

Original Poster
Avatar is suppose to be coming late 2017 or early 2018. Knowing Disney it seems they like to take their time. So my money is on Spring of 2018. So from Spring 2014 - Spring 2018 is where I get 4 yrs.
So here is my "Nothing" question - please prove me wrong!
What attractions will open at any of the four theme parks or two water parks in those 4yrs?
I honestly see "no" attractions that have are announced, planned, or even have solid rumors.
2014 - Summer, Fall = NOTHING
2015 - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall = NOTHING
2016 - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall = NOTHING
2017 - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall = NOTHING
2018 - Winter, (Spring - Avatar Opens)

spacemt354

Chili's
Avatar is suppose to be coming late 2017 or early 2018. Knowing Disney it seems they like to take their time. So my money is on Spring of 2018. So from Spring 2014 - Spring 2018 is where I get 4 yrs.
What attractions will open at any of the four theme parks or two water parks in those 4yrs?
I honestly see "no" attractions that have are announced, planned, or even have solid rumors.
You can't keep changing your announcement.

There is more to WDW than 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. So the fact that "nothing" is coming to WDW is false. I don't see attraction (ride additions) you are correct. However, that was never the complaint.

Look I am only pestering for this because as much as I dislike projection that WDW seems to be headed in regarding milking construction and cutting costs, there are still additions being made, which to some are enjoyable.

With elderly family members, they aren't big on the parks. And living in the north east, outdoor shopping malls with dining, shows, and attractions are few and far between. So Disney Springs I think will be a major addition to WDW Resort, along with other minor changes. It's not saying that WDW is like it was in the 90s, pumping out attraction after attraction, but there will be new things to see.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The only thing Disney has said about Avatar opening is 2017, so it's pure speculation whether it will be early or late in 2017 or if it will even slip into 2018.

As for the rest of your schedule, you are correct we don't know of anything opening in those years, but that doesn't mean there will be nothing. At the start of 2013 we didn't know Magic Kingdom was getting a new parade in Spring 2014 and at the end of 2011 we didn't know Test Track was getting a complete makeover in 2012.

BobConnor

Here is a chance to de-obnoxious Stitch's Great Escape. Even just making it nonsmelly and less uncomfortable might be an improvement. Marni, was there a story behind SGE like with Journey into your imagination?

R W B

Hmmm... would be nice

Maybe the promotion for the next 4 years is
"4 years of Refurb"
I would be fine with this! It would be great news and I think the majority would be ok with it. Obviously first time visitors might not but as long as Disney was upfront with it so people could plan ahead I don't think it'd be an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom