WDW will have a 4 year gap of nothing!

StarWarsGirl

And wacky resorts are not my thing either.
I wish they would build something in between values and moderates. Ya know, similar room size to the values, I don't care; it can be a motel, slightly more upscale, slightly better pool, no sit down restaurant, slightly more expensive than a value, but not as huge a jump as it is to a moderate.

My friend actually liked the big stuff at Pop. I went o_O. The room was perfect for us. We just ended up hanging around the parks and the deluxe resorts more (we spent quite a bit of time at Poly actually)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wish they would build something in between values and moderates. Ya know, similar room size to the values, I don't care; it can be a motel, slightly more upscale, slightly better pool, no sit down restaurant, slightly more expensive than a value, but not as huge a jump as it is to a moderate.

My friend actually liked the big stuff at Pop. I went o_O. The room was perfect for us. We just ended up hanging around the parks and the deluxe resorts more (we spent quite a bit of time at Poly actually)

I get that. What is one persons tacky is another persons theming. The bling at the values excite some and immerses them, me I love POR, the mansions the tranquil. I can't do bling.

StarWarsGirl

I get that. What is one persons tacky is another persons theming. The bling at the values excite some and immerses them, me I love POR, the mansions the tranquil. I can't do bling.
I think for her it was more that it was a novelty. The values are nice. Since I'm an AP holder, we got the value for Motel 6 prices and the room was a heck of a lot nicer. We would have preferred a moderate, but my dad was paying for this as a graduation gift for us and wasn't willing to pay that much extra. What I don't get is why the bus service there was better than the bus service at the Deluxe resorts (DVC members). I usually have a strong dislike of Disney buses, but at Pop, that feeling went away. Which is just sad. POR is a very nice resort. Out of the moderates, it's the nicest IMO. Before we bought into Bay Lake, we spent a couple of days at another resort at the beginning of the trip. Quite a few times that was POR.

Gabe1

I think for her it was more that it was a novelty. The values are nice. Since I'm an AP holder, we got the value for Motel 6 prices and the room was a heck of a lot nicer. We would have preferred a moderate, but my dad was paying for this as a graduation gift for us and wasn't willing to pay that much extra. What I don't get is why the bus service there was better than the bus service at the Deluxe resorts (DVC members). I usually have a strong dislike of Disney buses, but at Pop, that feeling went away. Which is just sad. POR is a very nice resort. Out of the moderates, it's the nicest IMO. Before we bought into Bay Lake, we spent a couple of days at another resort at the beginning of the trip. Quite a few times that was POR.

I'm thinking you hit it at a real good time. We did POR from Dec 22nd to January 8th one year and because of where NYE fell we had 5 real good days after seasons end. We went from Sardines to empty buses. Originally when I booked that trip that year, my folks were there till NYE and we would leave 3 days later and then I tacked on a few more days, thinking we needed some more immediate family time, more than 3 days. I was so glad we did, we had the parks to ourselves and transportation was so much better.

I rented a minivan that year, big enough to hold us and my folks. Thought we'd drive to the parks instead of waiting for the buses. But we quickly learned it was quicker to wait through several buses in the queue than to take ferries, monorails, trams and then wait in gridlock with rush hour type drivers in rental cars.

StarWarsGirl

I'm thinking you hit it at a real good time. We did POR from Dec 22nd to January 8th one year and because of where NYE fell we had 5 real good days after seasons end. We went from Sardines to empty buses. Originally when I booked that trip that year, my folks were there till NYE and we would leave 3 days later and then I tacked on a few more days, thinking we needed some more immediate family time, more than 3 days. I was so glad we did, we had the parks to ourselves and transportation was so much better.

I rented a minivan that year, big enough to hold us and my folks. Thought we'd drive to the parks instead of waiting for the buses. But we quickly learned it was quicker to wait through several buses in the queue than to take ferries, monorails, trams and then wait in gridlock with rush hour type drivers in rental cars.
It wasn't even that they weren't packed. It was that we never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. The few times that they were packed (ie Epcot closing) we would see a bus right behind the other or within a few minutes. I've never had such an easy time with buses at the Deluxe resorts. At the deluxe resorts regardless of the time of year 15 minutes is the average wait (I go every year in January, will never go over the holidays due to a hatred of crowds and lines) and I've been known to wait for an hour. The few times we've had a car we've only driven to DTD and AK. In spite of a dislike of buses, the dislike for parking and trams is worse. We own at BLT, BCV, and BWV because you can walk/easily get to one or more parks.

Gabe1

It wasn't even that they weren't packed. It was that we never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. The few times that they were packed (ie Epcot closing) we would see a bus right behind the other or within a few minutes. I've never had such an easy time with buses at the Deluxe resorts. At the deluxe resorts regardless of the time of year 15 minutes is the average wait (I go every year in January, will never go over the holidays due to a hatred of crowds and lines) and I've been known to wait for an hour. The few times we've had a car we've only driven to DTD and AK. In spite of a dislike of buses, the dislike for parking and trams is worse. We own at BLT, BCV, and BWV because you can walk/easily get to one or more parks.

I've found in the off times there are far less carts and chairs loading which really helps the load times and keeps buses on schedule. Even when there is carts and wheelies there is more wiggle room and the whole process just flows better. Their are less people balancing toddlers and strollers, less time trying to get the standing to squish back more while holding tykes and strollers, it is just a wonderful time to visit and the bonus is nobody is really ripe, hot and sweaty. Always a plus.

Disneyhead'71

Considering that it has been 7 years since WDW got an ambitious E-Ticket and it's going to be at least 3.5 years until the next one opens, I think this is a topic worthy of discussion.

Refurbs shouldn't be news worthy. And the fact that they are is just sad.

And the fact that they are actually working on DtD is only news because of how badly they messed it up to start with and then left the center third ply boarded up for 5 years.

Considering the dearth of compelling new attractions for close to a decade, the slack upkeep of what they currently have, and the lack of anything of substance coming near term, this seems to be an opportune time for the local competition to make their move at capturing some market share.

lunchbox1175

I find it curious that people are so concerned with the parks adding something or changing something every year. They have almost completed New Fantasyland, the are starting Avatarland, that is going to be like 6 years of new construction. I don't understand the need for something every year. WDW has been open for 42 years and is still the number one destination, slow change is a good thing. I would love to see many things like taking all the Pixar stuff out of the parks and putting them in its own park (5th gate), and the implementation of Star Wars and Avengers stuff as well, but I would rather see them update old outdated films like the France and Norway movie, get all of the rides running in "A" mode all of the time, and make better use of the areas that aren't being used like Tomorrowland Terrace QS, or the Odyssey. Sometimes its better and makes more sense to put a fresh coat of paint on your house than it is to remodel it. And please get rid of the BAH.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Once the Seven Dwarves Mine Train opens and Magic Kingdom replaces its 25 year old afternoon parade with a new one this spring, it appears us theme park fans can take a three year nap until Avatarland opens in late 2017.

It sure does look that way. Discouraging to be sure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I find it curious that people are so concerned with the parks adding something or changing something every year. They have almost completed New Fantasyland, the are starting Avatarland, that is going to be like 6 years of new construction. I don't understand the need for something every year. WDW has been open for 42 years and is still the number one destination, slow change is a good thing. I would love to see many things like taking all the Pixar stuff out of the parks and putting them in its own park (5th gate), and the implementation of Star Wars and Avengers stuff as well, but I would rather see them update old outdated films like the France and Norway movie, get all of the rides running in "A" mode all of the time, and make better use of the areas that aren't being used like Tomorrowland Terrace QS, or the Odyssey. Sometimes its better and makes more sense to put a fresh coat of paint on your house than it is to remodel it. And please get rid of the BAH.
It is curious, but not unexpected. People tend forget the past. The reality is that a 3 year span with no new headlining attractions is not unprecedented. We also need to consider that the days of frequent large scale expansion are coming to an end. It is also quite likely that we will never see a 5th gate at WDW save for possible a boutique park similar to the shelved Night Kingdom Project. Expecting a new e-ticket every year is just unrealistic in this day and age.

For those interested in the raw data I would advise checking out the site Chronology of Disney World. When you look at the data for just attractions in the parks you will see spans of 2-4 years with only very minor additions, replacements, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd be very happy if they just made use of and improved / restored what they already have. Once a year would yield a decade of new things to see without whole scale new builds.

Disneyhead'71

Everybody keeps saying "if TDO just maintained what they have....". Not me. The condition of the resort is inexcusable. This is the place that is legendary for being clean enough to eat off the ground. TDO already threw that reputation in the rubbish bin. Well, at least they tried. It's laying crumpled into a ball on the ground beside the rubbish bin. Maintaining the place isn't the least I expect, it IS what I expect! The fact that it will be a decade between E-Tickets is mind boogling! In addition, the fact that attendance numbers haven't plummeted is nothing short of astounding. I have to believe that that level of arrogance will eventually bite them in the .

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is what I do not understand. So many on this web site where mad that Disney had not done anything with Downtown Disney. Now they are expanding it and adding much needed additional parking, the same people that said Disney needs to do something at Downtown Disney are saying that Disney Springs is "nothing". I am looking forward to this nothing project as it opens over the next few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom