WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

jt04

I think we all had something like this concept art in mind for the SSE descent. Perfect chance to thematically tie the two attractions together artistically. Also the SSE post show.

Love it.

misterID

Would people here stop crying about interactive queues? Good god, enough is enough. If you don't like interactive queues, don't interact with them. This is how nuts this place is sometimes. A ride is getting a really impressive rebuild, but it's a failure because the queue will be interactive. :brick: I'm pretty sure Disney would have stopped using them if the guests hated them. So either deal with it or take your time machine back to 1991 I guess.

It's not about not using them, it's about the idiots who constantly hold up the line because of them. And a lot of them aren't really needed.

And no one said it was a failure because of them.

That's a bit of a drama queen statement.

And that Melissa was pretty cute.

tl77

This looks pretty awesome, it's like they took the final "future city" scene form the old "World of Motion" and made that the basis of the new "Test Track"

Captain Chaos

I think we all had something like this concept art in mind for the SSE descent. Perfect chance to thematically tie the two attractions together artistically. Also the SSE post show.

Love it.

So that means Test Track is going to have a crappy ending to the ride??? Great... :lol:

Captain Chaos

Preemptive complaining is more annoying than anything I've experienced in an interactive queue. None of them are that bad, the Haunted Mansion one is lots of fun. Seriously do people not remember what waiting in line was like before them and before Fast Pass? It was a real nightmare.

Having to choose to watch or not watch a child play with a honey screen is nothing compared to what waiting in lines was like at oldschool Disney or even other non-Disney parks now. I'm sure some of those nostalgia lovers that would choose to take their time machine back to the past would find a lot to complain about. Of course some people want the ticket system back so they're may be some masochism involved here.

The interactivity at the HM queue was not needed... If they removed that aspect and just created the walk though as it is, then fine... The noise from the queue is what I hated the most... Same with the Pooh queue... Looks great, but the interactivity stuff was not needed... remove that aspect and the queues would be just fine...

muteki

For the record I never really liked TT 1.0 that much. For several years back in the day I went to Epcot excited to ride it only for it not to be open yet and the final experience never really lived up to the time it took to implement nor the attraction that it replaced IMO.

That being said based on the video and concept art I am really liking what is being presented. I like the general art direction and iconography, I like the "futuristic" (but not too realistic) approach (wow, a futuristic ride in futureworld, go figure). This is very much an improvement to me even if the actual ride is 100% the same. Yes it is very Tron-esque but I will take that over "Tron the ride", and I like the CenterCore vibes I am getting.

Not too worried about interactivity in the queue. It's not like it is replacing something that was already part of the ride (a la SSE), and I don't think it would be nerve racking like Pooh (heck the Test Track queue was pretty noisy to begin with).

I wish they would fix up the outside a bit, and I wish they would enclose part of/all of the outer loop. Those backstage parking lot views never were much to look at, even going 60 mph.

jt04

This isn't your parents Test Track. Unless your father is Eddie Sotto. :lol:

Edit: I mean that in a very positive way as it will fit nicely next to Mission:Space. Outer Space theme next to an 'Inner Space' theme. Very cool.

muteki

One other thing about the queue though: I wonder what interactive elements will be available in the fastpass/single rider lines vs. what standby gets. If much of the ride is customized to your particular vehicle then skipping that part of the experience because I am using a fastpass would be lame IMO (though I can see some people seeing that as a plus).

To this day I haven't tried out the games in Space Mountain as I refuse to wait standby in a line long enough to reach where they are located in the queue. I'd like to, but it isn't worth a 45min+ wait.

dreamscometrue

I read on another site that the gentleman's name in the TT Interview video (link back at post #119) is Trevor Bryant, who has been involved in a number of WDI projects, including 'Horizons'. Yeah, that's right, I said 'Horizons'...cool! :)

http://www..com/2012/04/27/who-is-behind-the-new-test-track/

jt04

I read on another site that the gentleman's name in the TT Interview video (link back at post #119) is Trevor Bryant, who has been involved in a number of WDI projects, including 'Horizons'. Yeah, that's right, I said 'Horizons'...cool! :)

Yes, elements do appear rather Horizons-esque. Can't wait for this!

misterID

I thought it was funny that he was trying to reassure TT fans that they weren't going to change it too much... Oh, so it's the TT fans they care about. All twleve of them. :lol:

And I don't see anything close to Horizons with this refurb. I think they're doing something really cool with what they have to work with, but lets not get carried away here...

Hopefully when HP's sponsorship of M:S is done they'll force a real refurb (gutting it and starting over would be nice) or get a new sponsor (Virgin) for a new attraction.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I thought it was funny that he was trying to reassure TT fans that they weren't going to change it too much... Oh, so it's the TT fans they care about. All twleve of them. :lol:

And I don't see anything close to Horizons with this refurb. I think they're doing something really cool with what they have to work with, but lets not get carried away here...

Hopefully when HP's sponsorship of M:S is done they'll force a real refurb (gutting it and starting over would be nice) or get a new sponsor (Virgin) for a new attraction.

Such a waste of money those simulators would be if M:S was gutted. Half of them don't even spin anymore..

misterID

Such a waste of money those simulators would be if M:S was gutted. Half of them don't even spin anymore..

You could say it's a waste of money now. Seeing it's rare that they even use all of the vehicles in daily use in M:S, I don't think it would be missed that much if it were gutted.

yeti

It is a worry. When it works in tandem with traditional methods it's good. But when it intrudes on story or show, or worse replaces the physical, detailed environment that's bad.

I agree, but it fits the nature of Test Track nicely. The original really lacked many detailed environments to begin with.

I think what we're seeing here is a new ride that'll be much better aesthetically and technically, but worse narratively. I liked the premise of the original, but what I didn't like was the "emptiness" of the ride itself- you (ironically enough) didn't feel "transported". If the re-theme provides as good a story as the original, then it's a win-win. Based on what I've seen so far I'd say it's a win-slight loss.

Tom Morrow

I'm very on the fence on how I feel about the interactivity and non-physical sets and whatnot, but the released concept art does look pretty awesome. Of course, though, concept art usually does.

This could end up looking really impressive if they use actual fiber optic and LED lighting, and not just UV lights and neon paint. I'm curious if they will attempt some way to "dress up" the outdoor high speed portion, because transitioning from "the grid" to the bright Florida sun might be a bit jarring.

I really hope this is more of a case of optional interactivity that doesn't really do anything, like Mission: Space. I don't understand why they think people have to interact with the ride for it to be cool. Universal put no interactive elements in Forbidden Journey or the updated Spiderman, and surprise surprise, people still love them.

Uncle Lupe

I hope I can design a car better than my 99' Chevy Malibu because my gaskets would blow out before the barrier test.

So this is going to be a visual representation of a computer simulation. So at least we are not just looking at screens with a bunch of math algorithms running.

Will the outside que get the Dinseyland Electronica overlay? If you are doing Tron-esqe inside why not the outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom