WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
for all those hoping for a Tron overlay. You guys are not the ones complaining about other movie overlays coming to Epcot correct? Seas with Nemo comes to mind. :lookaroun

Test Track isn't becoming TRON. The overall theme and feeling will be very akin to the visual style used in the films.

It's as much Project Tomorrow in feel as TRON.

Gregoryp73

This all looks great. There's nothing to be negative about here. It looks like a great improvement that will fit better with the theming of Epcot.

Also it's not a Tron overylay! It's only reminiscent of Tron. Big difference. It's not the same as the Seas.

Totally agree...If anything, Tron is also inspired by elements of futurist visions. I don't see Tron having a patent on everything LED and smooth.

Although I would be very happy if the pre-show included a foreword from "the dude"....or if the girl that played "Gem" in the movie did the voice-over or voice from the system during the ride.

I had mentioned before that I expected way back when this was mentioned a final scene with augmented reality (ala HM) that showed riders their finished car...I actually think it may be a per scene thing now. At least once during each of the four sections....

I still hope for them to fix the outside going around the bank. I do not like staring at parking lot and backstage during the ride. They need to update it to the "highway of the future as well".

ulto22

I had mentioned before that I expected way back when this was mentioned a final scene with augmented reality (ala HM) that showed riders their finished car...I actually think it may be a per scene thing now. At least once during each of the four sections....

Since it will likely remain 6 people to a car, maybe they will show the design who performed best at each test?

Ex. The car drives to the finish of the performance test, where they then show the riders car that performed best in that category before they move on to the next test.

That way, different car designs will get shown off for each person, since likely most people wont have a perfect car that wins every test. That could easily be setup during the preshow where they select parts. Each part increases areas of performance in one area, while detracting from another.

Thats my idea anyway.

Glasgow

Agreed--Martin's video on the history of Test Track is pretty fascinating. Watch it: http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=713

I, too, remember visiting Epcot multiple times with Test Track still under wraps. The first time I finally got to ride it, it broke down twice while we were in the queue, making the wait even longer... and we were in the boring outdoor single-rider line, not the cool indoor queue! Let's hope the rehab is less, er, cursed than the original build.

Thanks for posting the link.

Really enjoyed watching the Test track video, Martin!

raven

Ehhhhh.....I can tell exactly what they're changing since the track is staying the same. If they don't change the track then I find it hard to believe they are going to improve the ride that much. That ring around the top of the "hill climb" reminds me of the hurl-a-whirl coaster at AK.

It just looks like another change done on the cheap instead of getting to the heart of the issues...

Oh, ye of little faith.

jumblue

Hoping the interface for the interactive/design part to be done a la Minority Report...

MinorityReportInterface.jpg

tl77

This looks pretty awesome, it's like they took the final "future city" scene form the old "World of Motion" and made that the basis of the new "Test Track". I think I might have to have to stop hating test track now and may be ride it a second time

Ausdaddy

Martin's videos are crazy good! I have a 12 year old that is always asking to watch them. If you can keep his attention, you've done well! :lol: Thanks to Martin!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am really interested to see how this shapes up in the finished product. At the moment I think it is a real challenge to move this ride to an actual "simulator experience" and have it look the way it looks. Computer simulations these days are very photo-realistic, and the environments they are building here are not at all realistic. They want to give the impression of being inside a video game-type simulator - but how many simulators look like TRON? I'm not sure how the end result is going to translate to the experience of actually designing a car in this decade. It may look either very retro, or very futuristic, and we know how those things can turn out.

Either way, the existing Test Track needed something doing badly, so I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. Fingers crossed!

HM GhostHostess

Honestly, I'm getting really tired of all of this "interactivity" stuff.

I don't need to touch a screen or create something in the queue in order to have fun. Since when did it become so excruciatingly boring for people to just observe things in line and enjoy the atmosphere?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly, I'm getting really tired of all of this "interactivity" stuff.

I don't need to touch a screen or create something in the queue in order to have fun. Since when did it become so excruciatingly boring for people to just observe things in line and enjoy the atmosphere?

It is a worry. When it works in tandem with traditional methods it's good. But when it intrudes on story or show, or worse replaces the physical, detailed environment that's bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom