WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

menamechris

I know people will think I'm crazy, but unless the economy makes a HUGE improvement, if Disney keeps going at this pace, in 10 years time, WDW will not be what it has been for 40 years. I don't know exactly what that means, but this company is currently being run like a business that is at the top of it's game, but knows the next best thing is right around the corner. From this, they are taking full advantage to milk the cow for all it's worth now, as they know, shortly, that cow will be dead.

And unfortunately, the only thing Disney seems to be interested in competing with Universal at is ticket prices... Soo...they one-upped them today...

captainkidd

Too tired to look, but what percentage did Universal raise prices, and what percentage did Disney raise, both for single day tickets and AP's?

menamechris

Well that part's easy. Yes, it will now cost you $454 overall for your AP, but they can still make it look "not as bad" by saying it's only a "Downpayment of $95 and then $32.64 monthly. The fact that they started with the payment plan a year before paved the way for this pay hike, seems like it was part of a well thought out strategy.

Personally....I think it makes it look worse. How many middle-class families are willing to pay $150-200 a month for annual passes for a family? That has got to be something that jumps out on your credit card statement every month... Now it will be even worse with adult and child prices being the same...

captainkidd

BTW, just read (and sorry if this has already been posted), but 3 and 4 day park tickets will have blackout dates.:lol:

I swear, the head of TDO must be a Mayan and truly believes that the end of the world is just 6 months away.

menamechris

Too tired to look, but what percentage did Universal raise prices, and what percentage did Disney raise, both for single day tickets and AP's?

Universal is now $88. Disney is $89. I dont know how much Universal increased annual passes, but all their increases were reasonable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Personally....I think it makes it look worse. How many middle-class families are willing to pay $150-200 a month for annual passes for a family? That has got to be something that jumps out on your credit card statement every month... Now it will be even worse with adult and child prices being the same...
I don't want to be the guy that defends this, but if the increase is $55 that is less than $5 per month. You are already paying a lot this year what's another $5. If you are local and don't need to pay for airfare or hotel even $600 seems like a great deal. Airfare for 4 is twice that alone plus the hotel cost.

cheezbat

$89 bucks for a single day ticket. I didn't want to say it...but I told you so.

While Universal has upped their ticket prices, the preferred annual pass renewal fee is EXACTLY the same its been the past 2 years: $159.99. I love it. Universal will continue to keep me as a pass holder who spends money in the parks every visit. Disney...guess were going to become a once a year thing now.

menamechris

I don't want to be the guy that defends this, but if the increase is $55 that is less than $5 per month. You are already paying a lot this year what's another $5. If you are local and don't need to pay for airfare or hotel even $600 seems like a great deal. Airfare for 4 is twice that alone plus the hotel cost.

Personally, I don't have to pay for travel or accommodations. But most people don't live in downtown Orlando either. "Locals" are pretty much all Florida residents in the eyes of WDW. And I have tons of friends in Daytona and Tampa who do get hotels and make weekends of it, because its a long and expensive drive.

I agree that $5 a month isn't much - but Disney increases prices every year - and rigorously as of late. Not just in ticket prices, but food and lodging. So what is $5 a month more this year will be $10 or $15 dollars more a month next. That before any food or merchandise price hikes. If your cable bill or movie ticket prices at your local theatre were going up at that rate....when would your breaking point be? I am sure tons of families all over will be asking that question when it comes time to make vacation plans.

I am not in anyway kidding myself or not understanding what is happening here. I am a business major. It's clear. But...from a guest standpoint - as some others have already mentioned in this thread...the ground is getting shaky. They already recognize they have an incredibly inflated price for their product (otherwise there would be no room or dining discounts). They just happened to make the bubble that much bigger this time with passholders and repeat guests. You know, the loyal customers...

erasure fan1

Well maybe the increase is so we can get more top notch special effects like the falling up rock projection on thunder mountain. :rolleyes: I have said it before and Ill say it again, I wouldnt mind a price increase if you actually had something new and fantastic being done with the parks. But there isnt. It will be interesting when we check into old key west next year and they ask us about our park tickets. I cant wait to say "well sorry, this year we are not doing Disney. We are going to uni, lego land and sea world. If there is time we may go to the magic kingdom." Of course Im pretty sure they really wont give a rats butt anyway.

LuvsTheMouse

With WDW ticket prices increasing Sunday, I am looking to purchase APs since we have three trips planned within one year. Am I allowed to purchase APs online for everyone or do they need to purchase their own? I was just concerned that the vouchers might have my name since I am the one purchasing them.

drp4video

I stopped buying AP about 5 years ago. I now buy a 10 day non-expirational hopper pass. This gives me 3 trips as we combine AK and DHS in one day with the hopper. (3 days in the parks) As I no longer go to WDW more than once a year, (used to go 3 or 4 times a year but DD is now 24 and it is just the two of us) and this past time it was 18 months between visits, this pass is more financially sound for me than an AP. IN addition, we do go to Universal and try to spend at least one day at Cocoa Beach and another at the pool.

I have the Disney Visa and am a AAA member so those discounts on rooms are pretty close now to what AP is. I don't do the dining plan.

I love WDW but like many, with the increase in prices over the years, for the price of one trip to WDW for example, I can experience the the real Italy and not the Epcot one.

Pioneer Hall

BTW, just read (and sorry if this has already been posted), but 3 and 4 day park tickets will have blackout dates.:lol:

I swear, the head of TDO must be a Mayan and truly believes that the end of the world is just 6 months away.

I think that is just for the specially priced 3 and 4 day FL resident passes which currently have blackout dates as well. From what I have seen regularly priced magic your way tickets will not have blackouts regardless of length.

misterID

I know I'll get hammered for this, but the parks just aren't worth the price increase. DL has an excuse. WDW doesn't.

And, no, this actually isn't TDO's decision. I'm sure they aren't against it. And it's not about tourists, against locals, so much. This is from the top. The more I learn, the more surprised I am that Eisner was correct about Iger not liking the parks (he really doesn't like much about Disney period, tbh, except the profits). Once they saw the revenues of their theme park divisions, how high they were, and basically propping up the disasters of their horrible decisions in other Disney divisions lately, they decided to squeeze it. This comes straight from Iger. They're going to keep raising prices, because of attendance at the theme parks. So, there you go...

I'll be seeing UNI this time around.

toolsnspools

Original Poster
The TEA numbers released yesterday showed Disney at a < 1% increase in attendance last year (1% at MK, AK, and HS, and 0% at EPCOT) IOA was a 29% increase and Uni-Stud was at 2%. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens both also posted 2% increases. So why would Disney raise prices when they are being outpaced by the local competition? They are at max capacity in the parks. Not close the doors max capacity, but the quality of the visit is degrading because of the crowd sizes, and the parks are "full" almost year round. So when your supply is close to 100%, why not increase the price. Until the demand starts to go down, they are in a sellers market.

Of course there is a breaking point for every customer as well. As a family of 5, we may have hit mine. To get 10 day non-expiring tickets will now cost us $3,000+. We already spent the last trip at Uni and doing other non-Disney things, and we saved a significant amount of money because of it. There's a lot of cool things to do in Orlando, so not every trip needs to include Disney Parks. Being DVC members, we'll probably look for a week at HHI or VB. Maybe even take a trip to California if we can book at the GC. I'm certainly not going to drop a ton of money every year to see the same old parks.

Of course there's the smart thing to do which would be to add a 5th park or do more major expansion so there's a real increase in capacity, but what do I know...

misterID

DHS and AK just aren't worth the price increases.

EPCOT was always a must, but it's nothing what it used to be. No Imagination, no Horizons, no WOM... Paying that much to basically ride SSE? And then they've even screwed that up. Nostalgia does give WDW the edge over UNI, but that's totally dead in EPCOT. All you have left is MK.

Instead of doing the all 4 parks thing, I'll be doing MK and UNI-IOA until something changes. They haven't given any reason to want to pay those prices for what they're offering.

Bob Saget

Before people get too bent out of shape over these ticket price increases, do remember that in return we received a new Dumbo and a revamped Barnstormer this year. :lookaroun

Admiral01

Premium Member
I actually spoke to a woman at WDW last week regarding the increase in the Premier Pass. I said on this board recently that we ( who like to spend money on vacations) have had Premier Passes for the last 2 years, since they started the program. $700 the first year, then a $50 increase last June to $750, and now a $100 increase this April to $850. $700 to $850 (21.5%) over the course of 10 months.

I told Disney that we used to spend thousands of dollars over the course of a few afternoons at Disneyland and WDW after work when I am on business, along with the occasional yearly or semi-yearly vacation, but they have priced me out. WDW hasn't offered anything in return for these price increases. DL hasn't even offered anything that warrants a $150 increase over 10 months. Carsland and the other enhancements to DCA aren't worth $150 to a casual visitor like me.

For people like us, the choice isn't between the number of days we choose to do Disney and Universal and SeaWorld as we stay at a Disney Value Resort and purchase single day tickets on a budget. It is between the actual Disney vacation with food, drinks, and Deluxe Disney Resort and visiting London or Paris or Sydney or Madrid. We won't cut back on the number of days we visit Disney, we will simply cut them out all together. Given the price increases at WDW and DL this summer, we will pass on trips to Central Florida and Anaheim in favor of going somewhere real. I realize that I am simplifying it a bit here, but hopefully the point gets across.

They haven't increased their revenue from us as we purchase more expensive tickets and adjust our souvineers, food, drinks, and number of days on property. All they have done is potentially lost every bit of revenue they get from my little family being on property, because we won't be there at all. There are better places in the world to visit.

captainkidd

Before people get too bent out of shape over these ticket price increases, do remember that in return we received a new Dumbo and a revamped Barnstormer this year. :lookaroun

Don't forget another meet n' greet.

How long until kids have to start paying for characters autographs?:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom