WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

GeneralZod

Since we are going twice in the next year, I have recently begun looking at APs for the family. Here is what I did not understand.

If you go to this site, it clearly shows A:$552.74 and C:$509.07.

Then if you click on "Purchase Pass" it is A:$519.00 and C:$478.00

Am I missing something?

DisneyJoe

I thought they took care of that by taking away any significant discounts in recent years. Passholders really don't get that much of a break on anything anymore. Our offers are often almost identical to that of the general public.

People kill for a $5 room discount over general public. If they can save $30 on the AP by getting the child ticket, they do - now they can't.

Here are the list of AP benefits.
http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm#bene2012

wilkeliza

Since we are going twice in the next year, I have recently begun looking at APs for the family. Here is what I did not understand.

Am I missing something?

The price increase hasn't happened yet. The new prices will not go into effect until June 3rd. So if you buy today or tomorrow by midnight you will pay the old price.

devoy1701

As the saying goes...There's a new sheriff in town. As sad as it is to say, I only expect things to only get worse from here. While it will be nice if it thins out some crowds, I feel truly badly for those who will no longer be able to afford it...And I don't expect one cent of these increases to be reinvested in the parks past the Fantasyland expansion and whatever eventually comes of Avatar (probably not much). I am sure Epcot will continue to deteriorate and continue its descent into looking like a 1982 shrine, and Hollywood Studios will press on in being perhaps the most pathetic theme park in Central Florida.

I can see the articles on CNNmoney.com and the threads on here 6 months from now talking about how P&R Revenues are up 20% YoY...and I tell you what, that won't be from those turnstyles getting mroe clicks. I think you're right on the money about that money not being reinvested in the parks. Perhaps I should pick up some more Disney stock in the coming weeks...

GeneralZod

The price increase hasn't happened yet. The new prices will not go into effect until June 3rd. So if you buy today or tomorrow by midnight you will pay the old price.

Both of my examples are current pricing. So is the current annual pass $519 or $552? Multiple sites on disneyworld.com show $552, but when you go to purchase it shows $519.

So is the new pricing ($574) and increase from $519 or $552?

Another location.

Captain Chaos

Nice. Thanks!

So really the increase is from $552 to $574 and not $519 to $574.

Seems like $519 to $574 BEFORE tax...

When you go to WDW's site, the price with tax is $552 and change... when you add itt o your cart, you are shown the actual price of the pass BEFORE tax... click checkout, and you see the final price including tax...

The way I'm reading the new pricing is, the pass BEFORE tax will be $574... once tax is added in, the price will be about $615...

That is, unless I am reading it wrong...

GeneralZod

Seems like $519 to $574 BEFORE tax...

When you go to WDW's site, the price with tax is $552 and change... when you add itt o your cart, you are shown the actual price of the pass BEFORE tax... click checkout, and you see the final price including tax...

The way I'm reading the new pricing is, the pass BEFORE tax will be $574... once tax is added in, the price will be about $615...

That is, unless I am reading it wrong...

I guess we will find out in a few days. :) It seems to me that since they advertise the POST tax price on disneyworld.com, then they would be advertising the POST tax price for the increase. I'm with you though...I could be reading it wrong.

Pioneer Hall

I guess we will find out in a few days. :) It seems to me that since they advertise the POST tax price on disneyworld.com, then they would be advertising the POST tax price for the increase. I'm with you though...I could be reading it wrong.

The 574 price is pre tax...

Captain Chaos

On Sunday we should see the price of the pass to be about $615... Which is NOT worth it anymore... Glad I gave up my AP last year...

GeneralZod

On Sunday we should see the price of the pass to be about $615... Which is NOT worth it anymore... Glad I gave up my AP last year...

Well damn. I was REALLY trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that is...pathetic.

...and it caused my post count to exceed 20 in 6 years of daily visit to this site. Damn you Disney!!

prberk

Of course they realize this.
And they're perfectly willing to sacrifice many of the lesser spending passholders to improve the overall experience for the less-often visitors who spend more money on their trips.

And this will be a non-issue for many regulars.
The vast majority of the passholders who stay at the Disney Resorts aren't gonna pull out over a small $55 increase.
It's the cheap ones who don't spend money at the shops, restaurants, or stay on property that may pull away.
And Disney's fine with that. :cool:

Did anyone even notice that the most recent AP discounts on the hotels are also very little... some as low as 5%!! If you do not believe me, check out this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=837142, starting around number 6.

I used to love being an AP holder. Now it is hard to defend. The whole place is getting rediculous. As for capacity, as they build more DVC units and hotels, they need more capacity in the parks. This means build more parks.

santo38035

Am I missing something?
Taxes!!??!?!?!

CRO-Magnum

I reached the same decision in 2005

I used to defend the pricing of AP's. Not anymore. That's a disgusting increase.

The reason prices are continually going up is because of the weak dollar. They can charge more and more as the composition of visitors from other countries continues to increase.

Looking at the price increases from 2002 (the last year we bought annual passes for our 6 person family) to 2012, adult annual passes have increased at a rate more than double inflation. Disney added an additional 30% to its margin on those passes (when you look at the child's pass it's 40% because of closing the pricing gap) over the past decade.

Our family doesn't park hop but we do use the water parks. So comparing the equivalents in 2002 to 2012 the payback period for a premium annual pass has moved from 11 days to 16 days. In 2002 we'd go once per year but schedule two 8 day trips within 365 days to minimize costs getting 5 of the days 'free'. Once it no longer benefited us (around 2005/2006) we changed our plan to go every other year for 7 days. And then my kids started commenting in 2009 that nothing had changed and wanted to try Universal, so now we only spend 6 days in Disney parks, 8 nights on property.

As a result Disney has managed to lose 8 hotel nights (we always have to get two rooms as a family of 6), 12 meals, and 3 days of admission along with all the incidentals PER YEAR by raising ticket prices. The rough math is a drop in revenue from us of at least $3500 a year. As a shareholder I'm disgusted!

Worse, Disney is killing off it's steady domestic income stream to take advantage of a historical aberration in the value of the dollar. When dollar gains strength and foreigners stop going to WDW, Disney's only hope will be to drastically cut prices. However in the mean time many of us are finding alternatives and raising children who see Disney as an option rather than a tradition as I was raised.

As a strategy consultant I made this argument to Disney leadership twice, in 2007 and 2009. However their bean counters insisted I was wrong. We'll see.

menamechris

I used to love being an AP holder. Now it is hard to defend. The whole place is getting rediculous. As for capacity, as they build more DVC units and hotels, they need more capacity in the parks. This means build more parks.

I think Disney has this very well plotted out. The price hikes show that they feel the need to squeeze every dollar out of the guests until they can no longer fool them. Refurbs and cosmetic projects have been happening over the last year or two, but most of us realize they are band-aids to the lack of truly innovative and new experiences in the parks. I think the time will come when the average tourist won't even see the price value in the parks. However, Disney now has this covered. DVC members are now built-in clientele, who are pretty much slaves to whatever price hikes or changes may occur around the parks. It has basically encouraged thousands to forfeit their right to vote with their wallet...

Captain Chaos

Well damn. I was REALLY trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that is...pathetic.

...and it caused my post count to exceed 20 in 6 years of daily visit to this site. Damn you Disney!!

Don't worry.. someone is bound to come along and spin this as a great thing... LOL...

DDPGambit

Man, I was planning to buy my first AP on Sunday when I got to the World! I still will, because with my two planned 6 day trips this year I will still save $100 on the ticket cost, let alone what I might save on the food and merch. As much as I don't want to spend the extra 60 bucks, I can, and so will many others. And Disney knows it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom