WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

WDW1974

We know Disney is doing something wrong when we spend more than 2 pages of discussion comparing it to Six Flags. :brick:

Well, Bob (and welcome, it is great to have a celeb like you in the house ... although I always liked Uncle Jesse more ... because he had amazing hair!) the thing is SF is apparently raising the quality of their parks ... while WDW ... well, it sure isn't 1990 in the Vacation Kingdom is it?

But multiple folks have emailed or PM'd to ask what I think of the increases and I haven't even studied them beyond the fact they are largely sizeable (where's my buddy to come in here and take a shot ... c'mon, you know ya want to!) ... but my opinion is simply this: it is GREED.

That's it.

And if you won't pay for it, Disney believes some poor sap will and they'll make a better guest because they'll have lower expectations (or no expectations) for what WDW quality is all about.

Now ... why don't we all get excited when they bring back a 21-year-old parade next fall (2013) and advertise it as new or by 'guest demand'?

wdw71fan

Now ... why don't we all get excited when they bring back a 21-year-old parade next fall (2013) and advertise it as new or by 'guest demand'?

still haven't seen any motion on Spectro backstage.. but of course that could change at any moment.. Nothing is happening until something suddenly is... Right? I wouldn't mind seeing spectro back.. hopefully it won't be billed as you say though.. it's tacky.

sorry to hijack the thread.. :)..

Sharkreef11

It was either last summer or the summer before. Granted, we were there for 2 weeks, but still, yeah, it was a lot.

To be clear, this wasn't all at the exact same time. This was over the course of 2 weeks.

You know what though - That doesn't bother me half as much as the scrims on Main Street for months. Ride breakdowns happen. Sometimes it's nobody's fault. Sometimes it's a stupid guest standing on the ride. But it happens. Not to steer the thread in another direction, especially since there's already another thread on this, but those damn scrims on Main Street - No excuse for that amount of time.

I agree with you. It really is frustrating but I wish there was some explanation to it. I understand that won't happen but it just leaves me scratching my head. I will go every year scrims or no scrims but still..

LaughingGravy

I think the park management at both sides of the US wants to cut down on being the babysitter for local kids during the summer. Best bargain going, when you think about it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I agree with you. It really is frustrating but I wish there was some explanation to it. I understand that won't happen but it just leaves me scratching my head. I will go every year scrims or no scrims but still..

:lol:

Disney can't win.

If they put up scrims to hide the work they're doing to make the place look great, they get grief because the scrims look ugly. If they don't do the work or only work in off-hours, the paint-chip whining and moaning crew get on their case because the parks look run down. :shrug:

fosse76

Except what good does increased attendance do you if you have no place to put those people? Or if that attendance is so high it ruins it for those that are there?

So Disney should just maintain the status quo and increase prices while the product deteriorates, that's your argument?

Disney has plenty of places to put these people. Companies get stale very quickly when they don't invest in themselves. Look at technology: tvs, computers, cell phones. None of these would be so commonplace had those industries not kept working to improve their product and re-invest and develop.

You can't just endlessly stuff people into the park nor expect your potential attendance to be infinite. You have a 'capacity'.. and in DL's case.. a capacity that is very difficult to expand.
What is your point? A company should just gouge its custmers to their breaking-point? By doing so, they end up losing customers. And they end up gouging those they keep.

In WDW's case.. they already at like 90% utilization of hotels, etc. How much more growth do you think there is within the existing capacity?
With an increase in capacity, they can expand. WDW isn't landlocked (and I don't buy the 90% figure). Nowhere did I say it had to be done within the existing capacity. Inmprovements can be an expansion. Investment can be expansion. WDW has plenty of space.

And lets be clear.. the price hikes at DL are significantly mainly for the premium APs... and those moves are to thin the herd at the top level because that group's impact on the park can't be controlled because it has no blackouts.
That's rumor and conjecture. No basis in fact. I can't imagine Disney being upset at a packed park. I don't know of any theme park operator who complains that they have too many guests.

captainkidd

:lol:

Disney can't win.

If they put up scrims to hide the work they're doing to make the place look great, they get grief because the scrims look ugly. If they don't do the work or only work in off-hours, the paint-chip whining and moaning crew get on their case because the parks look run down. :shrug:

Sorry, but you're simply defending Disney because it's Disney. Yes, if the building needs work, then they should do it. But to put an ugly scrim up, and leave it as such for months on end without doing work (or milking the job) is inexcusable. Either do it, or don't do it. We're not talking about a town that has hired an outside contractor to do road work. Disney has the money to hire the best people to come in and get this work done as fast as possible, which is what they USED to do. As others have said, in the time the Bakery scrim has been up, there have been Wal-Marts built from the ground up and opened.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sorry, but you're simply defending Disney because it's Disney. Yes, if the building needs work, then they should do it. But to put an ugly scrim up, and leave it as such for months on end without doing work (or milking the job) is inexcusable. Either do it, or don't do it.

Sorry, but just exactly how do you know that? :rolleyes:

captainkidd

C. They're taking the time to do a good job.

6 months?

Again, as others have said, strip malls, retail stores, restaurants, etc., have been built from the ground up and opened in the amount of time it has take Disney to do whatever they are doing to the Bakery. And, by all accounts, they're simply doing a paint and touch up job.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
6 months?

Again, as others have said, strip malls, retail stores, restaurants, etc., have been built from the ground up and opened in the amount of time it has take Disney to do whatever they are doing to the Bakery. And, by all accounts, they're simply doing a paint and touch up job.
I have to ask. Do you have any professional experience in the construction industry?

captainkidd

I have to ask. Do you have any professional experience in the construction industry?

Personally - No.

However, my step-father was a contractor (Carpentry, Painting, Plastering), and my best friend works for one of the largest construction companies in the country.

Neither which matter at all. This isn't rocket science we're talking about. It's basic paint and carpentry work. You don't need to be in the construction business to know when a job is taking longer than is necessary. They're not building a new high-tech ride from the ground up. Even the employees at the Bakery have said it - They're repainting and fixing some unsightly parts of the outside.

How can you honestly believe that it should be taking this long?

nepalostparks

6 months?

Several weeks ago as we were leaving after closing time (it was either an 11 p.m. or midnight closing time) they were most certainly using electric saws and hammers on the Chapeau behind the scrims. Obviously, I can't confirm how extensive their use is, but it indicates to me it's more than just paint and touch up.

I've also heard from a few people that it may be as extensive as ripping it down to the supports and completely rebuilding the facades.

captainkidd

My apologies for rushing to judge. I wouldn't want to do the same thing to you that you do to Disney on a daily basis. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm rushing to judgement, questioning why a scrim has been up outside of the Bakery now for 6 months.

Look, we all know you've snorted enough pixie dust to fill up Spaceship Earth, but newsflash - We ALL have a right to question anything we want to question in this country. And as someone who spends A LOT of money every year at WDW, I feel I'm well within my right to ask questions. I might not get an answer, but this is a message board, in which people are free to discuss both the good AND bad of WDW. Deal with it. I love WDW as much as anyone, but I don't wear the blinders that you do. I call it like I see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom