WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

ParentsOf4

I personally don't visit that much living near Palm Beach, but according to potatoheadfan's post he visited 150 times in the last 3 years.
Sorry, I should have read potatoheadfan's post more carefully. He mentioned he lived in Ft. Lauderdale which I think is about 3 1/2 hours away from WDW. For me, that's too far for a day trip but I'm not potatoheadfan so maybe he takes several longer trips to WDW?

When we had annual passes, I think we went about 20 times a year but did that in 3 or 4 multi-day vacations.

I appreciate your movie analogy but besides popcorn and gas, going to a movie doesn't cost much more than the price of the ticket. Unless you live within easy driving distance of WDW, I'd think that the total cost of a WDW trip is a lot more than a movie.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Why do some people on this board insist on showing off their wit and intelligence by posting messages that only they and anyone in on the secret would understand? It's a public message board. If you want to flirt with one another, take it to PM's.

:veryconfu

erasure fan1

Here is a little story from your old pal Jimmy.

I love a certain pizza pie, made by this little mom and pop place near my home. Now they take great care of me, and have always made me the same pie just the way I like it, I call them up and they know what I like.

Well, one day I called them up and asked for my usual, and they said the pie now costs 35 dollars compared to the 27 it usually cost. I didn't even question the price increase, I still wanted my pie and I paid it without hesitation. The pizza place, even with this price increase, is still in business, why? Because they make a great pizza pie, a pizza pie you can't get anywhere else.

If you really think about it, the same principal can easily be applied here. Disney can increase the price all it wants, I, like millions of others, will want our pizza pie.

Jimmy Thick-Sausage, pineapple and sugar ham.
I agree, as long the quality justifies the price increase, most people will accept it. A lot of people are upset about the increase because they feel that over the years Disney hasnt done anything to justify them. What if the pizza you loved raised its prices and at the same time used less quality ingredients or lowered their service level? Then you may question the price hike too. For a lot of people, Disney is doing less and charging more and thats why they are angry. When you see things like the horrid thunder mountain rock projection, then you see a price hike it can make you sick. I think its unfair when the people who are OK with the increase fire off saying the people who dont agree with it are too poor and shouldnt go. Thats just not true.

Jimmy Thick

For those who say, if you can't afford it don't come, you have lost the reason Walt started Disney in the first place.

This is one of the most abused sayings on this forum.

No matter what anyone thinks, if the things Walt did, did not make a significant amount of revenue Walt would not have been able to do anything. He made stuff to make money, huge amounts, don't kind yourself or play this card.

Jimmy Thick-No one named Disney is running the comapny now anyway.

Jimmy Thick

I agree, as long the quality justifies the price increase, most people will accept it. A lot of people are upset about the increase because they feel that over the years Disney hasnt done anything to justify them. What if the pizza you loved raised its prices and at the same time used less quality ingredients or lowered their service level? Then you may question the price hike too. For a lot of people, Disney is doing less and charging more and thats why they are angry. When you see things like the horrid thunder mountain rock projection, then you see a price hike it can make you sick. I think its unfair when the people who are OK with the increase fire off saying the people who dont agree with it are too poor and shouldnt go. Thats just not true.

Who is a lot of people? The handfull of people posting on this forum?

Do yourself a huge favor, look at the people crying about this huge price increase and compare it to the people crying about the state of the parks, you will see they are the same people.

Complaining, just to complain.

Jimmy Thick-Bazinga!!!

TalkingHead

Before long there will be discount coupons for Disney tickets on Coke cans and Wendy's bags for $20 off.

Y'know, basically discount the tickets the same way they do the rooms and food.

asianway

Do yourself a huge favor, look at the people crying about this huge price increase and compare it to the people crying about the state of the parks, you will see they are the same people.

Jimmy Thick-Bazinga!!!

Not here-raise the price of an AP to $1000 like Tokyo, just bring back the quality and stop the nickel and dime cost cutting...

TalkingHead

Someone else said this but it bears repeating:

This is not just about raising prices -- it's about perceived value.

The price increases at Uni don't bother me at all, since they're investing in their parks, adding attractions and entertainment to them. I feel like their parks are improving in substantial ways, which is more than I can say for WDW's.

This price increase seems especially egregious since there's nothing opening this summer, and it's been years since Disney added a blockbuster attraction that I wanted to see more than once. I question if Disney even knows how to build that kind of attraction today...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everything I have read about Walt Disney supports this. He wanted DL and WDW to be places that anyone could visit with the family. When Eisner took over in 1984 he was shocked at the price of tickets and immediately raised them substantially. As I understand it, Disney's corporate heads (i.e. the people who make the decisions on ticket prices) are among the wealthiest 0.1% and continue to see WDW as a value. They simply can't relate to "Joe Six Pack".
If the biggest complaint is increased annual pass rates then we are talking about people who are going at least 2 weeks a year to WDW. I can't believe you are struggling financially if you could afford annual passes and multiple weeks on vacation. The argument that WDW should be available to everyone went out the window a long time ago. It is not affordable for a lot of families, but those people would not have been buying annual passes anyway. If anything you could argue that increasing prices on season passes and longer term tickets is actually favoring those who can't afford to stay as long. If they raised tickets for shorter stays while keeping annual passes cheaper you would have people making the arguement that they are pricing out the less affluent by jacking up the prices on shorter stays.

sweetpee_1993

Jimmy Thick-Bazinga!!!

Aaaand, while you're making notes of who always complains you might also note how those who complain about people who complain are generally the saaaaame people. So the point to this exercise was...:shrug:

exactly

Hum. That works out to 50 times a year. Unless you live within a short driving distance and can stop in for a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday, it's hard to see how an AP holder can visit WDW 50 times a year. Maybe if they don't work?

It would be interesting to learn how many times the average AP holder visits the parks but I'm sure that's a closely guarded secret in corporate Disney.

i live 3 hours away and have done Disney 150 times over last 3 years, no exaggeration.. 10 percent of time only i stay at disney property, but i like staying offsite for 40 dollars a night. instead of 130 for 1 night

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone else said this but it bears repeating:

This is not just about raising prices -- it's about perceived value.

The price increases at Uni don't bother me at all, since they're investing in their parks, adding attractions and entertainment to them. I feel like their parks are improving in substantial ways, which is more than I can say for WDW's.

This price increase seems especially egregious since there's nothing opening this summer, and it's been years since Disney added a blockbuster attraction that I wanted to see more than once. I question if Disney even knows how to build that kind of attraction today...
The Fantasy Land expansion looks pretty amazing to me. Doesnt that count as something new?

I will be downgrading to a seasonal pass, and I know six different ways to park for free, and I won't feel guilty about it because this time the increase is too steep.

agreed i park for free also... but the thing i hate the most is, charging a 3 year old that cant even go on half the rides the SAME PRICE AS ADULTS. thats wrong and heartless on so many levels.. and to top things off now 3 and 4 day pass have blackout dates .. that B >S

You are under the assumption that AP holders are Florida residence or are within close driving distance to the parks.
Most Florida residences are not necessarily AP's. They have seasonal passes too. Not all AP's live within driving distance of the parks. We live in NY. Some of us have to fly, so we do stay on property paying for rooms and buy our food from Disney, a few times a year for more than a week at a time. We spend more money at Disney than those who come once every few years. Each year more and more of the perks of having AP's decreases while the prices go up and up. Now not only has the Adult prices increased by $55. but a child's ticket costs as much as the Adults. For those who say, if you can't afford it don't come, you have lost the reason Walt started Disney in the first place. He wanted a place where a family could come and enjoy time with the kids at a reasonable price. I understand that Disney is a business and in it for the profits but when you put profit before everything else and don't keep growing you lose. Tunnel vision must be great.:hammer:

hazel your post is the best, couldnt agree more

captainkidd

Jimmy Thick-Bazinga!!!

The 2nd part of your user name is so fitting for you.:rolleyes:

ParentsOf4

If the biggest complaint is increased annual pass rates then we are talking about people who are going at least 2 weeks a year to WDW. I can't believe you are struggling financially if you could afford annual passes and multiple weeks on vacation. The argument that WDW should be available to everyone went out the window a long time ago. It is not affordable for a lot of families, but those people would not have been buying annual passes anyway. If anything you could argue that increasing prices on season passes and longer term tickets is actually favoring those who can't afford to stay as long. If they raised tickets for shorter stays while keeping annual passes cheaper you would have people making the arguement that they are pricing out the less affluent by jacking up the prices on shorter stays.
You bring up a good point. The most recent ticket price increases seemed directly aimed at those who visit WDW the most, specifically those with FPs and those who purchase longer stay tickets. But Disney still managed to increase the prices of its shorter stay tickets by 5% while increasing the price of its longer stay tickets by 10%. (For example, a 4-day park hopper increased by 5.4% while an adult AP increased by 10.6%.) With inflation at 2.5%, I don't consider 5% or 10% increases to be exactly family friendly. (When's the last time you've seen a 10% increase in your income?) No matter how you slice it, Disney is making trips to WDW or DL more expensive for everyone. They are just socking to their most loyal fans even more than their casual fans. FL residents seem to be getting hit really hard by these increases and new restrictions.

captainkidd

It's because they think AP holders, especially out of state ones like myself, will pay no matter what the price is. Like Jimmy's pizza theory. Problem is, it's wrong. Many of those people (myself included) will still go. Absolutely. I love WDW, and have no intentions of giving it up. Will I buy an AP and stay for 2 weeks now like I have for the past 5 years? Nope.

Everything has a ceiling. Disney simply doesn't believe they do. We shall see.

erasure fan1

Jimmy Thick-Bazinga!!!

That actually was the point. People see the quality not equaling justification for price increases. Too many times the people who are OK with the increase immediately become ignorant and say if you are too poor dont go, when thats not the main reason. You still find extreme value even with the increase, and thats fine. I still find value as well but its to the point now were until something major is completed, we WILL be spending our hard earned money on new experiences. Im sorry, I just dont want to pay more and more every year and get nothing new or very minor at best additions. There is a lot in central FL that we have not seen yet so Disney might just be an every other year thing. And yea, I know, I know, shorter lines for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom