WDW Spirited Quickees

M.rudolf

Aee
Are they?
I think they should, but I don't think they are. If they tell him to stop, I'm sure he will. He wouldn't want anything to interfere with his gravy train.
[/quote]
They were talking about this on the wdwfanboys podcast ask rsoxno1 he may be able to give you an answer.

Mickey92

Aee
Are they?
I think they should, but I don't think they are. If they tell him to stop, I'm sure he will. He wouldn't want anything to interfere with his gravy train.
[/quote]

According to this:
Show quality remains a joke across property. BTMRR just had a 6-7 (was it longer?) closure yet so much doesn't work. Let's not talk about Disco Yeti (Lee didn't have time to lube him up ... maybe he should have passed the task to Mongello, who again it appears is being looked into by Disney Legal over his tours) or CTX ... or how about an entire scene of dead AA's in PoC? Yep, they're tourists and WDW is a real estate development and hotel chain with theme parks as a side business, so why attempt show quality?
What is wrong with his tours??...

asianway

According to this:

What is wrong with his tours??...[/quote]
It's private property and in direct competition with Disney...

Then tack on the other IP thievery prevalent in the community. Would make a great investigation

Lee

Adventurer

Then tack on the other IP thievery prevalent in the community. Would make a great investigation
That.
They made Jim Hill stop his tours. Why not stop Mongello?
While they are at it, they need to go ahead and finally put a stop to all the live podcasting and interviewing on property. Real media couldn't get away with it.

asianway

That.
While they are at it, they need to go ahead and finally put a stop to all the live podcasting and interviewing on property. Real media couldn't get away with it.[/quote]

Lee, you're going to hate me for saying this...but have you ever considered if the Adventurers Club hadn't closed it may have been the blogosphere clubhouse?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

That.
While they are at it, they need to go ahead and finally put a stop to all the live podcasting and interviewing on property. Real media couldn't get away with it.
That would be extremely hard to enforce. So many are simply done from cell phones/nonprofessional equipment....how would they stop podcasters without abridging the rights of the average tourist taking videos with their phones?

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, you're going to hate me for saying this...but have you ever considered if the Adventurers Club hadn't closed it may have been the blogosphere clubhouse?
Eh....that would be a pain, truly. But our Club was open to all, even the extremely annoying.
(I learned that when I got cornered and babbled at by the tattoo guy one night in the Salon.)

asianway

That would be extremely hard to enforce. So many are simply done from cell phones/nonprofessional equipment....how would they stop podcasters without abridging the rights of the average tourist taking videos with their phones?
Half dozen trespass warnings will work wonders

Lee

Adventurer
The ones they need to stop would be the ones with very official Disney-looking shirts, toting laptops and microphones through the park, interviewing guests and cast.
If legit media isn't allowed to do that...

the.dreamfinder

The ones they need to stop would be the ones with very official Disney-looking shirts, toting laptops and microphones through the park, interviewing guests and cast.
If legit media isn't allowed to do that...
like this guy??
hp-slide-lou.jpg

I've heard of Mongello pulling this at wdw and to a lesser extent Disneyland, has he done it at any of the international parks as well or is that where they draw the line? Seeing as how his style seems to be overbearingly forcing himself on people I just imagine the Japanese being really creeped out and frightened by him.

Kuhio

I always thought Mongello was a former attorney -- in other words, that he no longer practices law.

However, according to the website of Mongello & Scialabba (which is linked to the WDWRadio site), he is still described as "of counsel" to the law firm, whatever this designation means. Furthermore, his bio on the law firm's site also notes that "he is currently the Chief Technical Officer and Vice President of Operations" for Tricat, which ostensibly provides "medical imaging information services."

All of this raises a number of questions.

Is it ethical for a practicing attorney to contemporaneously own and/or operate multiple, other non-legal businesses?

Conversely, is it ethical for a non-practicing attorney to continue to draw an income from a law firm, even if that firm is owned in part by the attorney and/or other members of his family? (I don't know whether Lou in fact derives any income from Mongello & Scialabba, but it would be odd to publicly hold oneself out as professionally affiliated, in a presumably non-volunteer position, with an entity for which one does no paid work whatsoever.) Keep in mind that what is "ethical" from a layperson's point of view (e.g., having a family member paying you for work you didn't really do by characterizing such payment as a gift) may not be ethical from the standpoint of a professional organization that regulates the practice of law.

And how much law can someone really practice if he not only lives hundreds of miles away from his law firm, but also spends seemingly all of his conceivable free time wandering around theme parks and working on material for his podcast, blog, and website? If I were a potential client, would I really want to engage the services of a law firm, one of whose attorneys seems to have little actual commitment to or interest in the practice of law?

I'm no expert on legal ethics, but most of the above questions arise naturally as a matter of common sense, as well as the general understanding that certain professionals, such as doctors and lawyers, operate within strict sets of ethics guidelines that regulate how they must practice their professions.

(As an aside, the website for Tricat has no content of any substance, nor any indication of what exactly the company does, who runs it, or where it is located. No address or phone number is provided, and the only way to contact anybody is to fill out an online inquiry form. You'd think that a company that purportedly provides medical services -- much like one that provides legal services -- would fully document their relevant accreditation, etc. As it stands, the website for Tricat almost makes it seem like an entity that was solely created as a shell for other purposes.)

ChrisM

I always thought Mongello was a former attorney -- in other words, that he no longer practices law.

However, according to the website of Mongello & Scialabba (which is linked to the WDWRadio site), he is still described as "of counsel" to the law firm, whatever this designation means.

The "of counsel" designation at a law firm of any size typically means an attorney who is not a partner or on a partner track, typically with enough years of service to no longer be designated an associate (although associates are usually on a partner track, hence their designation as associates). These folks are usually kept around for their deep expertise in a given practice area, their political connections, or because they are rainmakers. Occasionally it's simple nepotism/cronyism.

Since his name is on that firm, I'm guessing it's something more along the lines of nepotism or he's simply a former founder who no longer has an equity stake in the firm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom