WDW Spirited Quickees

lazyboy97o

of course, the men's room across from what used to be the CW didn't have any paper towels (and no airblades/dryers) at all the same night, which frankly is inexcusable.
Just wait until somebody puts together the spreadsheet on how drip drying saves on paper towel, electricity and labor costs while also being promotable as green. We'll get magical little signs with Jiminy Cricket saying we're doing our part.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's the one, and was advised to look up that article you mention, I was aghast at the things he is quoted as saying. My friend says Iger is not at all liked inside the company, and Ike is partly to blame, mentioning that how would Iger ever get into politics with the bad rep he has within Disney, among employees.

Iger isn't well-liked at all, especially among the most important people and, right now, Ike and John Lasseter would be two of them. And they basically can't stand the guy at all ... so he'd fit into politics perfectly, especially in NY where he could play on all the good that Disney did by cleaning up Times Square etc.

lazyboy97o

I've heard that and firmly believe it is simply yet another Internet/CM/fanboi/urban myth.
Especially since the story does not explain how the name change to Hyperion Warf would have worked if Pleasure Island as a name had to stay. I doubt it would have been Disney Hyperion Warf at Disney Pleasure Island at Disney Downtown Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Different mind sets and company directives and culture

I think this is the most interesting and important point regarding what is (and what isn't) happening in O-Town's theme parks/resorts.

This is what all those other discussions on everything from Avatar to Transformers to NEXT GEN to Potter to DVC boils down to.

But not many folks want to discuss the big picture.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Has Chick-Fil-A's little foray into politics taught Disney nothing?

I mentioned this in some thread months ago when the Sentinel first reported where Disney's money was going.

The fact the company is buying elections for Tea Party candidates probably doesn't play so well with all their LBGT CMs or just ones who don't like what these people stand for in general.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not a fan of Iger as Disney CEO and certainly no fan of how the parks have languished under his rule -- but I worked in TV long enough to cross paths with many of the people who worked with him at ABC and never heard any horror stories. Most seemed to like him well enough and get along fairly well with him.

Willow is another story.

My experience is he was well-liked at ABC. But since becoming the big cheese at at TWDC, well ... that's a different matter entirely.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would imagine Universal Studios Asia could have likely been similar to Disneyland Asia, a conceptual design intended to sell the idea of a park to somebody in Asia. For Disney the park was sold to Hong Kong, with eyes on Shanghai, and for Universal it was sold to Singapore.

UNI currently has parks on the boards for South Korea, Dubai and Russia ... and there was talk of an agreement on a park for China in Beijing, but then ... nothing. But expect UNI to be VERY aggressive in expanding its parks footprint across the globe now that it has a management group that believes in the unit.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You been drinking some of jt koolaid

Nah, even JT doesn't say things like that.

Folks like Mongello and Corless and Brigante and Co do ... because they are in essence being paid to do so (and, no, thankfully I did NOT cross paths with any of them during my VERY MAGICal visit!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
A few good moves, or just not being the current pariah, seems to go a long way in the Disney fan community.

Yep.

I am not saying he is a bad guy. I am saying that NEXT GEN is a one billion dollar plus boondoggle to datamine guests and make a WDW vacation even more of a chore. I don't support it, so I don't support him.

But I'm sure the fanbois all enjoyed the way he publically dissed Meg in that ridiculous dog and pony show they put on a week ago. ... So, he must be one of us, right? Um ... nah.

lazyboy97o

UNI currently has parks on the boards for South Korea, Dubai and Russia ... and there was talk of an agreement on a park for China in Beijing, but then ... nothing. But expect UNI to be VERY aggressive in expanding its parks footprint across the globe now that it has a management group that believes in the unit.
It'll be interesting to see how the details of these projects change now with Comcast. These parks, including Singapore, were less about internal growth and more about just selling off the brand and getting some work for Universal Creative. Now with Comcast interested in parks, I would assume they would want more involvement than being a licensor.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Denny's around here are so dirty and nasty that I avoid them at all cost, however maybe the ones in O-Town are better. It looks like I'll be checking out the sundae on my next visit.

They are VERY good sundaes. Great shakes at 3.99 as well.
(can't believe I'm doing Spirited Shilling for Denny's!)

lazyboy97o

I am not saying he is a bad guy. I am saying that NEXT GEN is a one billion dollar plus boondoggle to datamine guests and make a WDW vacation even more of a chore. I don't support it, so I don't support him.
Even if I loved everything I he had ever done, and even if I was curious about NextGen, I would be hesitant. The huge sum involved makes him very invested to show that it works, regardless of the headaches and messes created in its wake. It is a massive legacy-type project. The restructuring of other parks to be tehcnically under Florida is also concerning, as he could further spread his legacy by pushing NextGen for other Resorts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It'll be interesting to see how the details of these projects change now with Comcast. These parks, including Singapore, were less about internal growth and more about just selling off the brand and getting some work for Universal Creative. Now with Comcast interested in parks, I would assume they would want more involvement than being a licensor.

I dunno. Licensing can be quite a profitable deal (look to Japan) ... and Paramount Pictures (which got out of the business when it sold its parks) is doing so now in Spain and the UK (although I have serious doubts about either project ever becoming reality even though I know someone working the Spain project now).

Let's not forget that Disney practically begged the OLC to come in and take over SDL as a partner with China and was shot down multiple times.

But I do think Comcast will be much more of an actike participant in the growth of its parks unit around the globe, no matter how.

RSoxNo1

Yep.

But I'm sure the fanbois all enjoyed the way he publically dissed Meg in that ridiculous dog and pony show they put on a week ago. ... So, he must be one of us, right? Um ... nah.
What did he say?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom