WDW Spirited Quickees

WDW1974

Original Poster
Greetings from 'scary Orlando' where I hear more sirens, see more police and accidents and crazy drivers than Anaheim/LA.

It's been a fun and busy week. Probably the best WDW trip I've had in 2-3 years. But that has very little to do with WDW, which is just as stale as it was in 2010 or 2008 or 2006 as it is now, and more to do with dear friends and family (some old, some new). Oh, and MAGICal members that I didn't meet and greet and let grope me, I did see quite a few of you. The Spirit doesn't miss much, even Tom Bricker's socks.

You want news?

OK, here's some:

Phil Holmes will be replaced as MK VP with Danny Cockerell in the very near future as Phil and his pearly whites head into retirement;

WDW will likely be getting a new Prez (Al Weiss' old role) and Jim MacPhee has that all but sown up;

Meg Crofton is likely to be replaced by another familiar face;

Avatar is about as likely at this point to happen as I'm about to admit I'm really JT;

Carsland isn't a done deal for the Studios makeover (nothing is ... yet), but while fanbois were lining up for the EPCOT merchandise event disguised as a 30th anniversary day-long celebration, the top art director for DCA's version was leading a contingent around the Studios and poking and prodding;

Monsters coaster and BAH going bye-bye are practically guaranteed in every makeover plan;

No increase in Star Wars presence, but man I love that attraction the more I ride ... and I appreciate the 'hidden 74' included too;

WDW1974

Original Poster
More ...

Weather has sucked. Summer-like misery that even singing Listen to the Land with Lee and hearing about whiny neurotic social media whores can't get over.

How bad has it gotten (upkeep?) ... parts of MSUSA are slowly sinking. REALLY!

Was the 30th anniversary entertaining at EPCOT? Only seeing the Pixie Dust addicts standing in line for hours to buy merchandise that I'll be able to get at my local mall at 30-70% off likely as soon as next month. Oh, and watching those execs give speeches so painful that you wonder if anyone in PR has any ability to write at all.

But if you wanted to make it more MAGICal (and I did as I was about to cry about my No. 2 Disney hater leaving to return to Hillbilly Heaven), just drink three margaritas with the added pomegranate liquer and then watch the RoE show with predictable tag (sorry, this was no NYE or July 4th show) and then head over for three hours of EMH fun at MK. I swear the MK has never been so MAGICal.

WDW1974

Original Poster
More again ...

The Spirit caused change in the Storybook Circus tent on opening day when the carpet was already stained and filthy (white?!?? in a theme park?!?!). Just look for the Spirited 'patch' (job) near the slushie counter and understand that without me you'd be looking at a huge stain for the next 5-7 years.

SC? Still not at all impressed. Nope. Sorry, not after visiting DCA. This just isn't all that.

Why can they get away with it? The stupidity of the average guest is astounding.

How so? They have had actual complaints by mommies with brats with peanut allergies about the concrete peanuts in the pavement. Guess what? If one child with an allergy to concrete pavement peanuts has to die so that fanbois can blather on about the amazing detail, then I think the brat should bite it and it's all worth it.

And watching these people consistently try to board buses in the rear (OK, no fanboi/Imagineer jokes here) and have the doors close on them or have their kids sneak in, but not them ... well, it's real entertainment, no matter what anyone says. No, not as good as hearing Lee belt out 'Prince Ali' or 'I Wanna Be Like You' or 'Be a Man' but fun just the same.

Show quality remains a joke across property. BTMRR just had a 6-7 (was it longer?) closure yet so much doesn't work. Let's not talk about Disco Yeti (Lee didn't have time to lube him up ... maybe he should have passed the task to Mongello, who again it appears is being looked into by Disney Legal over his tours) or CTX ... or how about an entire scene of dead AA's in PoC? Yep, they're tourists and WDW is a real estate development and hotel chain with theme parks as a side business, so why attempt show quality?

AC across property has been turned up a good 5-10 degrees making it warm to uncomfortable in many locations from DD shops to EPCOT attractions.

Disney resorts continue to fluctuate wildly in load levels. Not uncommon to see a hotel go from 97% full one day to 43% the next. This isn't boding well for the future.

Speaking of resorts, like the renovations at TRFKaDL ... really like the make your own pasta station. Don't think much of of AoA motel at all. Loud, garish and cheap .... would stay at ASMu or first, if I still were an addict.

Have I said how scary I find many Disney fans to be?

RFID polls/readers have been installed all over property from GMR to Mansion to Turtle Talk. The goal is to discourage anyone from actually getting one the old-fashioned way. They want you to use your iPhone to plan your whole trip down to the minute and centralized FP locales (like the brand new one in Storybook Circus) are also meant to dissuade people from getting them. I have heard countless CMs tell me what a disaster this project is going to be, but Disney doesn't care and folks like MacPhee and Nick Franklin have pinned their careers on this. But DLRs don't fret. Whhile Rasulo and Staggs and Iger want this to come to Anaheim, it will never happen. Just won't.

New MK parade will be coming with a smaller budget.

Best late night snack: slice of veggie pizza at the BW Pizza Window.

Worst use of money for food: samples of almost anything at Food and WIne Fest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone want to tell me how convenient WDW bus transport is?

The other day I waited 40 minutes for a bus at WL (where I was parked because I don't like the main lots and feel like I shouldn't park with the commoners) to MK while FOUR Studios buses came and left (two empty) and the dude I called on the courtesy phone, just placed me on hold for 7-8 minutes hoping a bus would eventually come before he had to do something.

Space Mountain still sucks. Seriously.

Mansion still is amazing. Seriously.

ToT still is best version as far as ride profile goes. Seriously.

Who is paying for the $160 signature dinners at Brown Derby or Kouzzina? In this economy? There are only so many defense contractors/private army folks out there.

Monorails still reek and are not reliable. .

Nothing to see at GF ... no timeshares being built.

Next Starbucks will be EPCOT and will be Fountainview.

Hopefully, the next next one won't be Sid's One of a Kind shop, which has had over half its merchandise removed. Had the picture of the man who played Sid until his death a few years ago removed and has been locked tight early when it even opens. ... Maybe they'll take the one shop worth visiting there and turn it into a vinyl shop. ... Of course, the outlets are selling them for $2 a piece so clearly everyone isn't buying them.

Want to thank the friends who maingated family and friends for three days -- FREE is definitely a fair price to pay for WDW, especially with EMH thrown in!

WDW parking lots are in pathetic shape and Studios has been so neglected that it floods every time it rains.

OK ... that should keep y'all busy for a bit.

Oh, there also is something going on behind Main Street, but I don't think it's anything big despite a rumor going round (that I won't give credence to by repeating here).

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well... I'll agree [yes, it happens] with you on the weather. Way too hot and muggy for WDW in October!

Pity you didn't introduce yourself if you saw me, I don't bite... Just ask Merf.

Figment1986

Hope you have some interesting stuff to say about horror nights...
*goes back to work on random stuff including a horror nights review, and then sleep, then class, then horror nights*

TarzanRocked99-

Phil Holmes will be replaced as MK VP with Danny Cockerell in the very near future as Phil and his pearly whites head into retirement;

WDW will likely be getting a new Prez (Al Weiss' old role) and Jim MacPhee has that all but sown up ;

These are the two best bits of info I have ever read here on Magic. Thanks for making my day that much better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom