WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – My August 2011 Trip Report

WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – An August 2011 Trip Report

Welcome to my trip report! First, about the title. Reading the WDW boards lately one would think that Disney World was coming apart at the seams; Overrun by vicious gangs of Brazilian tour groups, Pop Warner boys and cheerleaders. Filled with broken down, outdated rides run by snarly cast members. The resorts infested by bedbugs, nasty housekeepers, and moldy shower curtains. The Restaurants serving up Dogfood burgers and steaks served with the leather hides still attached. The fireworks shows reduced to open fire pits and a few boxes of sparklers.

To be totally honest and sarcasm aside (kinda), I was really getting concerned about this trip. I had gone to great lengths and compromise ( see my Pre-trip report) to make this trip a reality. Now I was worried that once my family would see first hand the crumbling vestige that was once our favorite place on earth; this would seal this trip’s fate as our last one to the World. Well, I’m happy to say, with photos as proof – the rumors of Walt Disney World’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

First Day and intro to our family;

Our countdown was over. The paper chain in Toni’s room that started at day 178 was now down to day zero. It was 4 in the morning on August 6th and I woke up Toni and we tore up that last chain and started to get ready for our trip. By 4:30, Toni and her brother Sterg, were ready and waiting.

001-XL.jpg

I have a good friend that happens to own a limo business, so we hired him to drive us to Philadelphia International. The limo came at 5:00am. This is my wife Val and my oldest child, Alexandra, getting spoiled in the limo.

DSC01283-XL.jpg

Sterg and I on the other seat…

DSC01284-XL.jpg

While Toni caught a few z’s.

DSC01282-XL.jpg

Everything was going fine. We were making great time on the Turnpike until we were detoured off of it an exit too soon. Unfortunately, this was only the first of our several delays that morning.

Last edited:

switts

definately a great report. Have to agree felt like i was part of the trip. Love the picture of sterg at the end looks like he grew about 2 feet in 2 years

fractal

Original Poster
definately a great report. Have to agree felt like i was part of the trip. Love the picture of sterg at the end looks like he grew about 2 feet in 2 years

Thank you! I had fun putting this report together. :) Sterg is definitely growing - his next goal is to be taller than me. That would also make his water polo coach happy!

fractal

Original Poster
OK - don't mean to resurrect the thread, but over the weekend I found some videos on Val's phone that she forgot about. I thought they were worthwhile sharing, especially if anybody was considering staying at the Beach Club or eating @ Sanaa.

The lost "Fractal family" videos.

This is a quick video of a dance routine at Storm-along-Bay led by the CMs. My kids love this pool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPH5dbX3ck

The next video is Toni's 3 minute tour of Sanaa. It's a video she took for her grandmother. It's a bit shaky and her fingers show up too often, but she did a pretty good job of covering the restaurant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqfo7LlQXiw&feature=related

HollyBelle

In response to your response to my comment above. :D Here's how I print my reports... I copy/paste them into a word document and then minimize all the pictures and embed them within the text. I've never been able to include as many pictures as I put into the online report - I just pick my favorites. Then I simply print them out, put them in page protector sleeves, and add them to a three ring notebook (I'm already up to my third notebook!):

IMG_2323_1.jpg

IMG_2327_1.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
In response to your response to my comment above. :D Here's how I print my reports... I copy/paste them into a word document and then minimize all the pictures and embed them within the text. I've never been able to include as many pictures as I put into the online report - I just pick my favorites. Then I simply print them out, put them in page protector sleeves, and add them to a three ring notebook (I'm already up to my third notebook!):

Holly, that is awesome! Thanks for the tip. What a great way to preserve memories of a trip.

Looks like I have a new project. :)

ml123_9

So when is your next trip. I look forward to reading that report hoping it will be just as good as this one. Thanks for letting us in on your vacation.

fractal

Original Poster
So when is your next trip. I look forward to reading that report hoping it will be just as good as this one. Thanks for letting us in on your vacation.

Toni asked me the same thing today! :) I would love to go during Christmas but I don't think that will happen this year. Maybe next year.

Thanks for reading and commenting. I had fun writing this and preserving some of our memories.

Here's a couple of pics of Toni dressed in a homemade "cowgirl/Jessie" outfit for Halloween. The lack of electricity made for an especially spooky trick-or-treat.

194.jpg

183-2.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
I'm no expert, but I think the photos look great. I especially like the one of the boat, great detail.

Thanks Aurora!

I hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I ate (more than) my fill.:eek:

We certainly had much to be thankful for.

285.jpg

phlydude

Hate to revive an old thread but this one deserves more looks by some newer folks!

Great trip report!!

Helped occupy the better part of 2 afternoons going through it all (and I only found it because you recommended the report to get info on tours you and the fam had taken)

Nice work! - Photography is tricky but I am with you on the bulkiness of a DSLR - I love mine but I bought a point and shoot just for the upcoming trip.

Seeing the different dining options definitely allowed me to offer some suggestions to my group for our upcoming trip!

fractal

Original Poster
Hate to revive an old thread but this one deserves more looks by some newer folks!

Great trip report!!

Helped occupy the better part of 2 afternoons going through it all (and I only found it because you recommended the report to get info on tours you and the fam had taken)

Nice work! - Photography is tricky but I am with you on the bulkiness of a DSLR - I love mine but I bought a point and shoot just for the upcoming trip.

Seeing the different dining options definitely allowed me to offer some suggestions to my group for our upcoming trip!

Thanks Phlydude ( are you from Philly?)

I'm glad the report helped out with some of your planning and I hope you have a great trip. A trip report would be awesome!

phlydude

Thanks Phlydude ( are you from Philly?)

I'm glad the report helped out with some of your planning and I hope you have a great trip. A trip report would be awesome!

I am originally from the Bridesburg section of Philadelphia (River Wards - Bridge St exit of I-95) but now reside just outside of Newark, DE.

It is a tough balance when we are so used to booking things for just the wife and I but now going with another couple. They had one request, Boma.

I feel like I am making the decisions on the dining without getting much input from them. They are DVC members and are staying at Bay Lake, we are staying at All Star Sports...we are no where near each other on property!

I will be sure to do a trip report...bought a new point and shoot Coolpix S3100 for $70 @ Costco specifically to document in pictures this trip without having to lug around my DSLR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom