News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

rnese

Maybe. I'm just trying to accurately describe a strategy that I think many people are missing. I'm not predicting its success or failure.

For me, this will absolutely mean I no longer rent a car. I've never had the nightmare experiences that people describe with Disney transportation so we only rent if we get a steal of a rate on the car. But even with a rental, we still take the bus to Magic Kingdom and occasionally the other parks as well. Now, no more. But, as I said, I don't mind the Disney transportation and I won't miss hauling two car seats
Maybe. I'm just trying to accurately describe a strategy that I think many people are missing. I'm not predicting its success or failure.

For me, this will absolutely mean I no longer rent a car. I've never had the nightmare experiences that people describe with Disney transportation so we only rent if we get a steal of a rate on the car. But even with a rental, we still take the bus to Magic Kingdom and occasionally the other parks as well. Now, no more. But, as I said, I don't mind the Disney transportation and I won't miss hauling two car seats through the airport.

3FA8m0w.gif
d33aa12c9d0edce41788e3f36bd21bd4--tombstone-movie-quotes-funny-movie-quotes.jpg

asianway

Just received my call back from the "Executive Offices" since I sent an email to George and the Bobs...

The lady was very nice and assured me that the situation was very fluid right now since they had gotten more negative feedback than they had anticipated. She compared it to the rollout of the Magic Bands and said she anticipates many changes to be made to the policy. I blabbed her ear off for a good 15 minutes on my thoughts and feelings on the matter, and while I'm sure any ideas I presented will go nowhere, it was at least nice to hear back from them. It seems that the excuse for it's implementation is that it is the "Industry Standard" which we all know is BS considering the cost of a WDW room is significantly higher than the rest of the industry...

Oh well, I at least feel like I did my part :)
Free continental breakfast is standard at limited service hotels too lolololol

bluetiedye

I got an email back from the Chapek office asking to talk over the phone...but I’m thinking I don’t won’t to talk to someone who’s just gonna give me lip service, put Chapek on the phone for me.
lol yes one of the most powerful executives in one of the world's biggest companies owes you time to personally hear you complain about a fee you don't like.

LSLS

Sorry, it came off wrong and I wrote it wrong. I wasn't trying to attack anyone. I thought for a long time how to write it, but got rushed in the end and just wrote something down. My sentiment is .... how can I put it... Like voting. Everyone complains about political parties. but if you don't exercise your right to vote you haven't done your part to create the change you are upset about. Hope that makes more sense.

I think you have it a bit backwards. Not booking a trip there (or booking an off site trip) is the voting aspect of it, the email part of it is the complaining loudly and openly. Obviously not mutually exclusive, but the important part is that you don't only call and complain, you need to use your wallet to really hit them.

LSLS

But I wonder if thAt will change Cap. It might back fire. most folks have a vacation budget so like me, you charge me an extra 120 bucks I generally don't increase the budget, I take it from another area. I have to pay for parking?? ok now I don't buy tee shirts for everyone or skip something else that may have a larger profit margin. you charge me to park so now instead of going offsite 1 or 2 nights, now it's 3 or 4.
I know most folks who rent do so to enjoy not having to deal with Disney transportation. they are still going to bring a car,

To be fair, I bet they would rather have the parking fee over the things you were going to buy. That $120 is pure profit. You know darn well they aren't adding extra transportation or security to counter a potential increased reliance on them. Your souvenirs equaling to $120 will turn less profit. The only way it backfires if people move offsite for their Disney trips or worse yet switch their vacation to Sea World/Universal/Cruises/beaches/etc.

Phil12

I stayed off site last year for the first time in several years. This was actually a very enjoyable experience. I was at the Hyatt Place in LBV and had an awesome (also healthy and free) breakfast each morning. I drove from park to park...it took me 11 minutes to get from Animal Kingdom to Hollywood studios. I can't say I ever park hopped on a WDW bus that fast :rolleyes:
Our family have been regular guests to WDW for over 40 years. It was expensive then and it's expensive now. Therefore we've always looked for ways to cut costs. Back in the "old days" prior to the Internet we had to get on the phone and call the hotels and motels in that area to see who had the best deals. We also used the services of various travel agencies.

We also looked at the DVC but realized that was far more expensive than normal lodging rates in that area. The really great thing about the WDW area is that it is saturated with accommodations and lodging deals are ubiquitous during most of the year. In addition to the normal Disney owned rooms there are countless other hoteliers, DVC renters and private condo and house owners that are looking for customers.

With the advent of the Internet it's pretty easy now to find low cost lodging in and around WDW. And from my personal experience I have always advised people not to exclude any lodging possibilities when looking for rooms at WDW because you can find big discounts even among the high end resorts.

Our family makes a game out of searching for WDW discount accommodations and we compete against each other to see who can find the best rooms at the lowest cost. Over the years we have sometimes ended up at Disney resorts (including deluxe), several times at Disney Springs resorts, we've stayed in a few DVC resorts and we've stayed offsite in condos, houses, hotels and motels.

The bottom line is that the Pop Century or one of the All-Star resorts might end up being the best deal you can get during some times of the year even with the car parking charge. Or, as posted by HollyAD, you can stay at the Hyatt Place in LBV and park your car for free!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So....as somewhat of a local (100 miles away) who goes 8-9 times a year for usually 4 nights at a pop with about 6 of those stays being on property. Here's how I'll deal with it.

First, I'll cut down "on property" stays by 1 per year. Still "on" for F&G, F&W, MNSSHP & Holidays. But no real reason to stay "on" in Jan/Feb.

Family of 4 and I budget $100 per person for shopping per trip. I'll cut that back by $10 a person or $40 overall (equates to 2 nights of the parking fee at a moderate). So $40 of my visit will no longer go to Disney Merchandise.

For a 4 day trip I usually do 1 character breakfast, 2 TS dinners, and the rest QS. Now, I'll cut the 2 TS dinners down to one. But here's the thing. I'm going to take the money I usually earmark for my 2nd Disney TS meal....and I'm going to spend it at City Walk or somewhere along I-Drive.

Because Disney...If you're going to force me to spend more....you're not going to get that money.

I'll increase my spending per trip just a bit - but I'll spend less with you. So I'll pay your $80 to $96 for parking at a moderate/deluxe for 4 nights. But I'll spend $40 less on merchandise and I'll shut you out of $200 I normally spend with you and give it to Uni, or to some establishment on I-Drive.

Last edited:

DisneyJunkie

As much as I love Disney, I sincerely hope this ridiculously stupid parking fee change bites them hard. It's basically forcing people like me to have to fly down and make use of their Magical Express service and nothing else simply to save money. Perhaps I shouldn't say that too loud, though, as charging for use of ME may not be too far away.

Tom P.

What I want to know is how long before they start tiering the pricing for parking, where you pay more to park closer to you room. Or when bell services is going to charge if they have to carry your bags to a parking spot which is farther away. Or when we will get the Fairytale Wishes Parking Dessert Party, where for a small upcharge you can visit a special tent in the parking lot to receive your themed cupcake as a thank-you for parking with Disney.

Only half joking...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom