News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

radiohost

In the past 10 Years (maybe longer), this story takes the cake for being the most controversial business decision made by Disney Parks; from the backlash we have seen online. The fan community has had enough. No longer can they fathom a now $4000 vacation keep going higher and higher in price.

I can’t think of any other story that would top it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only positive thing about the announcement is that people have a few days to book and avoid the fees. I’m not doing a family vacay at Disney in 2018.. but I’m half tempted to book our trip for next Spring.,would I still be grandfathered in? Even if I was though, I know myself well enough to know that I’d eventually adjust my dates anyway, which would bring the new fees along with the change.lol

...and you fell right into the trap.

"Good thing we can hurry up and give them
Money..."

Jeez

VaderTron

...the problem is 52,000,000 visitors (gate ticks) annually and rising

What statistics are saying that attendance has been rising? 2016 saw a drop in all 4 Disney World parks by 0.5 - 0.7%. Yes, 2017 saw a less than 2% rise, but that is standard market correction for a year that a park debuted a new land. Want to hear something amazing? In 1971, when Disney World opened, the Magic Kingdom saw 20.49 million in attendance that year. Guess how many in 2016? 20.4 million in attendance. Attendance is not growing out of control. It's intentional decisions made by those in "control" to cause guests to have less time enjoying free rides and spending more time throwing their money away on overpriced food and souvenirs. It just seems more crowded in the parks because the fastpass system means some people spend very little time waiting in line and just wander around the park, clogging the pathways. It makes it seem more crowded.

Now that they are ticking off the people who frequent the parks you might see attendance drop even further below opening year figures. But where it will really hurt is when the frequent visitors who love the "Disney Bubble" no longer see the "magic" in staying on-site and get rooms elsewhere...like I will be doing.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What statistics are saying that attendance has been rising? 2016 saw a drop in all 4 Disney World parks by 0.5 - 0.7%. Yes, 2017 saw a less than 2% rise, but that is standard market correction for a year that a park debuted a new land. Want to hear something amazing? In 1971, when Disney World opened, the Magic Kingdom saw 20.49 million in attendance that year. Guess how many in 2016? 20.4 million in attendance. Attendance is not growing out of control. It's intentional decisions made by those in "control" to cause guests to have less time enjoying free rides and spending more time throwing their money away on overpriced food and souvenirs. It just seems more crowded in the parks because the fastpass system means some people spend very little time waiting in line and just wander around the park, clogging the pathways. It makes it seem more crowded.

Now that they are ticking off the people who frequent the parks you might see attendance drop even further below opening year figures. But where it will really hurt is when the frequent visitors who love the "Disney Bubble" no longer see the "magic" in staying on-site and get rooms elsewhere...like I will be doing.

I think you answered your own question...if it goes down, that's a decline...if it goes up, that's a rise. They are claiming a rise now.

I think it's a greedy, no excuse policy myself...but it's done and it's not gonna change.

People will pay...they always do. That's where the action is.

I think the rage is real...but comparatively small.

YorkshireT

So if i rent dvc points from a place like David's dvc. Do I pay for parking? Or does the dvc rental qualify me for free parking although I'm not a member but I am renting their points? Any one know yet
No it's 'free' to anyone staying on points. Not out of generosity, but legality. Those points had dues paid on them which pay for car park and security. The points give access to the common areas. This is the only reason DVC don't get charged, but if you have a car you now get an additional saving by renting.

CAV

I got an email back from the Chapek office asking to talk over the phone...but I’m thinking I don’t won’t to talk to someone who’s just gonna give me lip service, put Chapek on the phone for me.
Exactly right. I stated in my email that I wanted to talk to Chapek himself, not an hourly employee. I was "assured that Mr. Chapek read (my) email personally, but he was too busy to talk to me."

I called her out on that line of bee ess.

Chapek is hiding under his desk. He will pop his greedy, little head out when the smoke clears so he can count his million(s) bonus.

John park hopper

As I have posted here several times Disney's greed knows no bounds. They have been charging for resort parking all along by incorporaring it in the over priced rooms. They can now come out and call it a parking fee (double charging) because they never disclosed it before. IMO we can call, we write but it won't make one bit of difference. Disney is riding high on increased profits and like the drug addict they want more and more and more $$$$$$$. Disney knows the public has a short memory and sure they will take the heat for the brief firestorm of discontent. and then it will be business as usual until they figure out another way to screw the public. Personally I am done with Disney- we had planned on going in 2022 for the 50th; staying on site at one of the luxury resorts (required saving, I'm not wealthy) but we will go elsewhere with the grandaughters. Lord only knows what greedy fees they can think of in ~4 years.

Last edited:

drizgirl

As I have posted here several times Disney's greed knows no bounds. They have been charging for resort parking all along by incorporaring it in the over priced rooms. They can now come out and call it a parking fee because they never disclosed it before. IMO we can call, we write but it won't make one bit of difference. Disney is riding high on increased profits and like the drug addict they want more and more and more $$$$$$$. Disney knows the public has a short memory and sure they will take the heat for the brief firestorm of discontent. and then it will be business as usual until they figure out another way to screw the public. Personally I am done with Disney- we had planned on going in 2022 for the 50th; staying on site at one of the luxury resorts (required saving, I'm not wealthy) but we will go elsewhere with the grandaughters. Lord only knows what greedy fees they can think of in ~4 years.
Honestly, it's going to be a great spectator sport watching to see what fees they come up with between now and the 50th and Galaxy's edge opening.

Clamman73

Exactly right. I stated in my email that I wanted to talk to Chapek himself, not an hourly employee. I was "assured that Mr. Chapek read (my) email personally, but he was too busy to talk to me."

I called her out on that line of bee ess.

Chapek is hiding under his desk. He will pop his greedy, little head out when the smoke clears so he can count his million(s) bonus.
And I say that half-joking b/c I know he's not taking calls, but I just don't want the sincerity lost in translation by a middle person of what people are thinking about all these price add-ons and increases are having on regular folk who always enjoy visiting the Parks

Tony the Tigger

We had a 21 night stay at Port Orleans we have canceled it and while not as themed we have got a great deal at a Homewood Suites with far more space with a seperate bedroom and kitchen. The saving is embarrassingly large and that's without all the extra parking fee we would have had to pay. With the saving we are going to go for 10 days in May next year also.

In terms of tickets we are now getting a pass with less Disney days and have invested in Universal all park annual passes and will buy some SeaWorld/Aquatica ones so the visit in may will have no Disney days but it's like having a "free" holiday with all the savings paying for flights from the UK and hotels! And the annual passes covering park visits.

We have come to the conclusion Disney is just a part of our holidays and not the main feature anymore.

But if you were already booked, then you weren’t going to be charged the fees on that trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No it's 'free' to anyone staying on points. Not out of generosity, but legality. Those points had dues paid on them which pay for car park and security. The points give access to the common areas. This is the only reason DVC don't get charged, but if you have a car you now get an additional saving by renting.

Hmmmm...in theory I would agree...but I wonder if they wouldn't take a run at that?

Part of this has to be a dvc sales push as well: not too insightful there. What if they tried to classify parking now as a "perk" - like the ticket discounts that only direct buyers now qualify for?

I have no idea if that could be pulled off but I wouldn't be shocked. It's something worth watching.

I have little doubt they hate rentals and have discussed this at length. The counter argument is always "why do they care who's using the points??"

Simple:
1. They want the buyer to continue to pump their discretionary cash into the place (the original point of dvc)
2. Those that would rent end up paying/going anyway at rack and would be pushed down the path to buying dvc.

I'm sure if they had to do it over again they would have written the contracts differently.

Last edited:

seascape

Eliminate all parking at hotels except for handicapped spots and at all themeparks. Have free parking in a massive lot built at Flamingo Crossing property owned by P&R for both daily and hotel guests. Then using existing parking lots to expand the Parks and hotels. This would allow for the additions of thousands of rooms without the environmental impact on the main property, free up roadways and allow the monorail loop at MK to solely service the hotels. It would also provide the land for the 5th gate, the main lot by MK.

nickys

Premium Member
Hmmmm...in theory I would agree...but I wonder if they wouldn't take a run at that?

Part of this has to be a dvc sales push as well: not too insightful there. What if they tried to classify parking now as a "perk" - like the ticket discounts that only direct buyers now qualify for?

I have no idea if that could be pulled off but I wouldn't be shocked. It's something worth watching.

I have little doubt they hate rentals and have discussed this at length. The counter argument is always "why do they care who's using the points??"

Simple:
1. They want the buyer to continue to pump their discretionary cash into the place (the original point of dvc)
2. Those that would rent end up paying/going anyway at rack and would be pushed down the path to buying dvc.

I'm sure if they had to do it over again they would have written the contracts differently.

You're still on at this? Really?

They would have to take the maintenance of the parking lots out of the dues. So how would they then be paid for? You have stand alone DVC properties, so the maintenance can't be shared with the main non-DVC resort.

DVC are subject to Florida timeshare laws. And parking comes into that contractual arrangement. Disney can't just ride rough-shod over those at will. Perks offered to members are totally separate from contractual matters.

There's no doubt this is a massive benefit to those renting, and will be promoted as such. It could even lead to a rise in the point rental rates. I assume the brokers will follow what happens with private renters, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom