News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Mathew h

That’s way off base.

Voicing your displeasure with your wallet is as or MORE effective than a phone call.
Sorry, it came off wrong and I wrote it wrong. I wasn't trying to attack anyone. I thought for a long time how to write it, but got rushed in the end and just wrote something down. My sentiment is .... how can I put it... Like voting. Everyone complains about political parties. but if you don't exercise your right to vote you haven't done your part to create the change you are upset about. Hope that makes more sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Disney may finally have reached critical mass on making people mad. If this had not been right on the heels of so many other price increases it may not have caused such consternation, but put it all together and the cost for your week at Disney has probably gone up from $500 to $1500 per person depending on where you stay.
I quit going to college football games at a major university near here several years ago for the same reason. Ticket costs kept going up, the cost for concessions was obscene, and parking was becoming almost impossible. The problem is, when I quit going there was someone else with more money than sense who took my place and they never missed me.
The problem here though is if that enough people rebel at cost increase after cost increase and attendance goes down, they will simply raise prices again to make up the difference! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I bet you're overstating this completely.

What they would have determined via data mining (nobody is better at that) is the number of people that pay rack and consistently visit that feel a car is an essential necessity and what value they place on it.

I'd guess the number is a lot smaller than you'd think...and of those, most will probably paybthe fee in the end and be psychologically "trained" rather quickly.

Who does this affect?
1. First timers? Nope
2. Dvc? Nope
3. Special needs? Nope
4. Florida residents? Yes...but they don't care
5. Cast members? Nope
6. Overseas extended stays? Yes...that's a bit of an issue
7. Those that want to "expand" beyond disney? Why on earth would they care?...the advantage is theirs anyway.

Now that I think about it...they don't have much of a battle...there's just not enough of a "ticked off" demographic to challenge this.

Here's my story: so I don't have to pay...because I bought dvc thankfully under Eisner pricing. But if I hadn't...the price increases of the hotels combined with food and tickets would have ALREADY driven me out. I wouldn't be going every year till now and the parking pushed me over the edge. That argument wouldn't hold across a broad spectrum. At least not broad enough.

Mathew h

Sorry, it came off wrong and I wrote it wrong. I wasn't trying to attack anyone. I thought for a long time how to write it, but got rushed in the end and just wrote something down. My sentiment is .... how can I put it... Like voting. Everyone complains about political parties. but if you don't exercise your right to vote you haven't done your part to create the change you are upset about. Hope that makes more sense.[/QUOTE
...only if they have data that says you're doing it...

Gotta do both
and yes, voting with your wallet is effective too, but the combination of both is what will create change. If numbers are down they can be spun any number of ways. feedback AND numbers down, that's harder to spin.

21stamps

That’s way off base.

Voicing your displeasure with your wallet is as or MORE effective than a phone call.

Exactly. This is why the calls for “protests” have me chuckling a bit.
It’s an optional vacation destination..no need to grab a picket sign or send an email of complaint. If you feel that strongly- Don’t Go.
That’s the only way the fees would go away.. if Disney resorts suddenly saw a decline in occupancy.

HollyAD

The thing is I don't think it is going to generate that much money but offsite hotels, if their management is awake have a perfect opportunity to get back a lot of the business they lost because of Disney Resort building. It will take awhile for the local areas to get new hotels opened or remodel the ones that are just standing idol now, but, they will be able to take advantage of it. If I were younger I would invest in a hotel and advertise the crap out of free parking to get the car people to stay there. If they are going to have to pay to park their car anyway they might as well just pay to park on a daily basis at the parks and give themselves a lot more flexibility and save a huge amount of money in the process. Having stayed onsite and offsite I can, without hesitation, say that nothing is missed, no magic, nothing when your eyes are closed and you are sleeping. It is a ginormous waste of money to stay in those highway robbery resorts or use the "Imaprisoner" bus ride from the airport. And you are missing out on a lot of good stuff that happens offsite. This past week alone was the Strawberry festival in Kissimmee.
I stayed off site last year for the first time in several years. This was actually a very enjoyable experience. I was at the Hyatt Place in LBV and had an awesome (also healthy and free) breakfast each morning. I drove from park to park...it took me 11 minutes to get from Animal Kingdom to Hollywood studios. I can't say I ever park hopped on a WDW bus that fast :rolleyes:

Mathew h

It’s an optional vacation destination..no need to grab a picket sign or send an email of complaint. If you feel that strongly- Don’t Go.
That’s the only way the fees would go away.. if Disney resorts suddenly saw a decline in occupancy.
protests are quite different than contacting customer service and voicing displeasure. correlating my post to grabbing a picket sign is quite a stretch.

21stamps

protests are quite different than contacting customer service and voicing displeasure. correlating my post to grabbing a picket sign is quite a stretch.
I didn’t correlate your post. There’s several posts in this thread that talk about ‘protesting’.

Imo, the only “effective email” would be if someone cancelled an actual vacation and sent an email explaining why. Then I think about the people calling to complain (who don’t have a vacation booked currently)—the calls to guest services are just making hold times longer for people who actually need to speak to guest services.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's the classic "false laisse faire", pro corporate excuse.

When companies get attacked for pricing and value...they will attempt to respond...not say "if you don't like it...screw off"

...that's not quite even how the stacked deck works.

Last edited:

HollyAD

I think Disney may finally have reached critical mass on making people mad. If this had not been right on the heels of so many other price increases it may not have caused such consternation, but put it all together and the cost for your week at Disney has probably gone up from $500 to $1500 per person depending on where you stay.
I quit going to college football games at a major university near here several years ago for the same reason. Ticket costs kept going up, the cost for concessions was obscene, and parking was becoming almost impossible. The problem is, when I quit going there was someone else with more money than sense who took my place and they never missed me.
The problem here though is if that enough people rebel at cost increase after cost increase and attendance goes down, they will simply raise prices again to make up the difference! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Agreed... Unfortunately someone will take the place of the individuals boycotting Disney. I have a co-worker who will pretty much spend anything on her first Disney trip even though she doesn't have it to spend. As an yearly Disney attendee, it's hard to see this happening. I wish I could cancel my trip this year just to say I stood up for myself but I can't. It's probably my mom's last trip so I am doing it for her. But I won't go unheard...

Mathew h

I didn’t correlate your post. There’s several posts in this thread that talk about ‘protesting’.

Imo, the only “effective email” would be if someone cancelled an actual vacation and sent an email explaining why. Then I think about the people calling to complain (who don’t have a vacation booked currently)—the calls to guest services are just making hold times longer for people who actually need to speak to guest services.
you are right, actual cancelling is better than hollow "i'll never book again!' and then 6 months later celebrate the end of a countdown to disney.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
you are right, actual cancelling is better than hollow "i'll never book again!' and then 6 months later celebrate the end of a countdown to disney.
If my tickets weren't non-refundable/non-exchangeable, I'd probably cancel. I'm not getting a good feeling about this upcoming trip. And I'll admit -- being grandfathered by booking before March 21st is much better than being roundly Rogered for booking after that date.

But as I've said, I have no commitments beyond this next trip, and it's highly unlikely I'll be returning to WDW for the next decade at least... and then after that, if I return, it will likely be to join the cast in the Haunted Mansion.

21stamps

The only positive thing about the announcement is that people have a few days to book and avoid the fees. I’m not doing a family vacay at Disney in 2018.. but I’m half tempted to book our trip for next Spring.,would I still be grandfathered in? Even if I was though, I know myself well enough to know that I’d eventually adjust my dates anyway, which would bring the new fees along with the change.lol

George

Liker of Things
If my tickets weren't non-refundable/non-exchangeable, I'd probably cancel. I'm not getting a good feeling about this upcoming trip. And I'll admit -- being grandfathered by booking before March 21st is much better than being roundly Rogered for booking after that date.

But as I've said, I have no commitments beyond this next trip, and it's highly unlikely I'll be returning to WDW for the next decade at least... and then after that, if I return, it will likely be to join the cast in the Haunted Mansion.

No one's figured out that this here account is used by someone who inadvertently haunted another attraction....:lookaroun

nickys

Premium Member
The only positive thing about the announcement is that people have a few days to book and avoid the fees. I’m not doing a family vacay at Disney in 2018.. but I’m half tempted to book our trip for next Spring.,would I still be grandfathered in? Even if I was though, I know myself well enough to know that I’d eventually adjust my dates anyway, which would bring the new fees along with the change.lol

If you book now for next Spring, then you would get the "no parking fees".

But am I right in thinking you can't book a package that far ahead in the US? If so, then if you try to change a room-only booking for a package then they'll sting you for it, as that's a rebooking. Whereas modifying a reservation would be OK.

21stamps

If you book now for next Spring, then you would get the "no parking fees".

But am I right in thinking you can't book a package that far ahead in the US? If so, then if you try to change a room-only booking for a package then they'll sting you for it, as that's a rebooking. Whereas modifying a reservation would be OK.
I have no idea.. I’ve never tried to book that far in advance. It would be a waste for me to book now anyway, I know the week when I’d like to travel, but I’m sure dates would have to be tweaked sometime before then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom