News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

MaximumEd

We live about a 12 hour drive from WDW. If we want the same amount of time in the parks as we get when we fly, we have to stay an extra night to compensate for time lost driving. When you factor in the cost of the room, fuel, and meals eaten on the road, flying Southwest out of Birmingham or Atlanta isn’t but barely more for my family of 3 than driving. Adding the parking costs only tips us toward flying even more.

Tom P.

We live about a 12 hour drive from WDW. If we want the same amount of time in the parks as we get when we fly, we have to stay an extra night to compensate for time lost driving. When you factor in the cost of the room, fuel, and meals eaten on the road, flying Southwest out of Birmingham or Atlanta isn’t but barely more for my family of 3 than driving. Adding the parking costs only tips us toward flying even more.
From Disney's perspective, they win either way. If you drive, then they collect the increased revenue from parking. If you fly and don't rent a car, then you are far less likely to leave Disney property during your trip, which means you are more likely to spend your food and merchandise dollars with them. Not to mention that you become a candidate for using the Minnie Van service. Either way, it's a positive for them.

Smooth

IMG_0123.JPG

YOU DID WHAT!!

Obobru

We had a 21 night stay at Port Orleans we have canceled it and while not as themed we have got a great deal at a Homewood Suites with far more space with a seperate bedroom and kitchen. The saving is embarrassingly large and that's without all the extra parking fee we would have had to pay. With the saving we are going to go for 10 days in May next year also.

In terms of tickets we are now getting a pass with less Disney days and have invested in Universal all park annual passes and will buy some SeaWorld/Aquatica ones so the visit in may will have no Disney days but it's like having a "free" holiday with all the savings paying for flights from the UK and hotels! And the annual passes covering park visits.

We have come to the conclusion Disney is just a part of our holidays and not the main feature anymore.

Weather_Lady

Why not both?

...and doing both (not going, AND writing or calling the company) ensures that Disney knows exactly WHY people people are taking the action they choose to take, and what the company might do (assuming they care) to bring those guests back. Otherwise, it's far too easy for Disney to blame some other factor (e.g., the economy, the weather) for a dip in bookings or rise in cancellations.

Tom P.

...and doing both (not going, AND writing or calling the company) ensures that Disney knows exactly WHY people people are taking the action they choose to take, and what the company might do (assuming they care) to bring those guests back. Otherwise, it's far too easy for Disney to blame some other factor (e.g., the economy, the weather) for a dip in bookings or rise in cancellations.
I think this is the key point.

No disrespect intended to others in this thread, but online petitions are worthless. 100%. No company takes them even remotely seriously. Because it takes all of two seconds to click and "sign" the petition, and such an action has no correlation at all to whether or not customers will continue to do business with the company. Back in the day when folks actually gathered real, written signatures on paper petitions, they held a tiny bit of weight, because it took some effort to put that together. But even then, their impact was minimal.

What matters to a business is if customers stop doing business with them. That's the bottom line. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if all you do is post that opinion to a board like this and change nothing about your purchases with Disney, they don't have reason to care. Only when you modify your behaviors so that they are getting less money from you, and explain why to them, does it have the potential to make a difference.

Will enough people modify their plans due to parking fees to make a difference to Disney? Only time will tell. But I guarantee you that doing so will have a far better chance of making a difference than signing an online petition.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
We have come to the conclusion Disney is just a part of our holidays and not the main feature anymore.

That is exactly the message that needs to be delivered to Disney. Uni, SeaWorld, The I Drive corridor are all stepping up their game. If Orlando was smart - They'd spend more money on marketing Orlando as the destination, with Disney being one of many options.

AshaNeOmah

I'm only 600 miles away and that's going to be the case for my next trip. We've only seen Universal and Legoland once, never been to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens. Our next trip will be long but include visits to most of those locations.

In context, we were absolutely sure to visit Port Orleans for three nights after an 11 day cruise on the Disney Wonder a couple months ago. The crowds were nearly unbearable and the lines were monstrous. The second weekend in Feburary. Honestly, DCL is the new WDW. The service you used to revive at WDW still exists at sea.

It's time for us to hold off on Disney exclusive trips until the economy recedes again and there are some more consumer friendly policies. Hopefully, we'll still feel the need to go at that time.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

You know through all this palaver about parking fees I have not seen anyone chime in on the financial implications to WDW's bottom line. I see 148M numbers being thrown around but I have heard they can designate this income in another category for preferential tax treatment.

I am no expert on taxes and I don't know who may be (@ParentsOf4?) but it would be to TDO's and TWDC advantage I understand to make this move. Taxes are a powerful motivator to bean counters.....

drp4video

I fly in and always rent a car. Not a fan of the buses, and sometimes we go to the ocean as well. I also go to both Disney and Universal usually, unless it's a real short trip, the it's just Disney. If I go to both, I still always stay at Disney and drive to Universal for the day(s). I am doing this for my upcoming trip. No incentive to stay at Disney for the entire trip in the future (if there is a trip in my future). If I spend two days at Universal and sleep at Disney, I still have to pay two days of parking fees at Disney. Off site is looking pretty good to me.

disney4life2008

Out of curiosity. I remember when Meg Crofton was president of Disney world in think that was her title. But since her departure, everything seems to be falling apart.

RobbinsDad

I've got 2 family members that live in the Orlando area, as well as friends. Ill just drive there, stash the car and have them drop us off out front of our resort. Even if there's a fee for that, it's still cheaper than parking a car I won't use again till I leave for a week.
That's exactly what I was thinking. In laws have to be good for something right? (in case you guys are on this board cause you never know, I'm totally kidding)

asianway

You know through all this palaver about parking fees I have not seen anyone chime in on the financial implications to WDW's bottom line. I see 148M numbers being thrown around but I have heard they can designate this income in another category for preferential tax treatment.

I am no expert on taxes and I don't know who may be (@ParentsOf4?) but it would be to TDO's and TWDC advantage I understand to make this move. Taxes are a powerful motivator to bean counters.....
They're just not subject to the county tourism tax only the state sales tax. And it's an inclusive charge so they keep more of it

JoeCamel

They're just not subject to the county tourism tax only the state sales tax. And it's an inclusive charge so they keep more of it
How much is the CTT? do you know? I thought it was 12.5% but I am not sure.
Edit: looks like it is 6% in Orange county, not an insignificant number. Would make bean counter go all a quiver if they could escape that.

Phil12

How much is the CTT? do you know? I thought it was 12.5% but I am not sure.
Edit: looks like it is 6% in Orange county, not an insignificant number. Would make bean counter go all a quiver if they could escape that.
It's different in each county:

Orange County 6.00% + 6.50% = 12.5%
Osceola County 6.00% + 7.00% = 13%
Seminole County 5.00% + 6.00% = 11%
Lake County 4.00% + 7.00% = 11%
Polk County 5.00% + 7.00% = 12%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom