News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Pleakley

Disney better have some decent discounts lined up for the coming months to make up for this. Looking up rates for next month, it's over $600 for a standard room at BWI, and about $400 at the Swan, including resort fees. Now that both are charging about the same for parking, that really takes away from Disney's competitive advantage when choosing between those hotels. And I'm getting rates in the $300's for Port Orleans? Ouch. Never seen such high prices this time of year before. Not that I advocate for parking fees at all, but perhaps they should have started with lower prices and had them go up in magical increments.

backinaction

We drive from North Georgia (outside of Chattanooga), use our car for the exact same purpose, and have only visited Universal once back in 2012. Haven't seen the need to go back, but it's looking more likely than ever.

This is one reason having a car is nice. Try getting from Animal Kingdom Lodge to dinner at 'Ohana after a mid-afternoon hotel break. You're looking at an hour to get there, as opposed to a maximum of 15 minutes in your own car.

It's just a terrible thing to do to guests when you have such large parking areas at almost every resort. It makes no sense.
GO TO UNIVERSAL They've added a ton of new stuff, Transformers , Jimmy fallon ride, KONG, simpsons springfield expansion, new HArry potter land, fast and the furious, Volcano Bay, ect in just the last few years. Even my father was impressed, and he usually is much more inclined to go a Disney park over Universal.

David M

I just got word from a friend who’s high up at the DRC that effective immediately, no guest will be permitted to enter a Disney resort with there own car for any reason without a valid dining or resort reservation. No more visiting resorts, shopping, or eating quick service without taking a bus now....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
...no guest will be permitted to enter a Disney resort with there own car for any reason without a valid dining or resort reservation.
Not even with paying for valet parking??? ETA: The official DisneyWorld parking web page still says:
Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

Last edited:

backinaction

I’ve noticed that many people are trying to justify Disney’s parking fees because other hotels and resorts do it. My family has stayed at the swan and dolphin and we wouldn’t go back due to the parking and resort fees. They may offer a good rate from time to time but after you add daily parking and resort fees the value disappears. I agree with some of the earlier posters that it’s not so much about the money it’s the blatant and overt way Disney shoves these additional charges and price hikes down your throat and basically says tough sh—.
One of the few perks of staying of property was convenience and that has disappeared with crappy, inconsistent bus transportation. Extra magic hours was another “perk” of staying on property and three hour night time extra magic hours have disappeared in lieu of $100+ hard ticket events. In essence, a family of five could pay over $1000.00 for one day admission to Disney park if they choose to pay for an extra magic hours ticketed event. That’s a mortgage payment for most families and as if that’s not a big enough slap in the face you overtly add a parking fee to your already ludicrous admission and hotel rates. Some deluxe resorts are over $600.00 a night and Disney has the nerve to charge for parking on top of that. Poor show Disney.
I’ve noticed that many people are trying to justify Disney’s parking fees because other hotels and resorts do it. My family has stayed at the swan and dolphin and we wouldn’t go back due to the parking and resort fees. They may offer a good rate from time to time but after you add daily parking and resort fees the value disappears. I agree with some of the earlier posters that it’s not so much about the money it’s the blatant and overt way Disney shoves these additional charges and price hikes down your throat and basically says tough sh—.
One of the few perks of staying of property was convenience and that has disappeared with crappy, inconsistent bus transportation. Extra magic hours was another “perk” of staying on property and three hour night time extra magic hours have disappeared in lieu of $100+ hard ticket events. In essence, a family of five could pay over $1000.00 for one day admission to Disney park if they choose to pay for an extra magic hours ticketed event. That’s a mortgage payment for most families and as if that’s not a big enough slap in the face you overtly add a parking fee to your already ludicrous admission and hotel rates. Some deluxe resorts are over $600.00 a night and Disney has the nerve to charge for parking on top of that. Poor show Disney.
Universal, Busch gardens, and seaworld will be getting more of my vacation dollars overall. We went to Disney in early december of last year ( a time of the year that is supposed to be "slow) and the weekends there were so crowded, you couldn't even get on the worst rides without a 45 minute wait. The overall change of the fastpass system heavily favors people who plan every second of their vacation ahead of time. Kind of takes away the spontaneity of a trip.

backinaction

I just got word from a friend who’s high up at the DRC that effective immediately, no guest will be permitted to enter a Disney resort with there own car for any reason without a valid dining or resort reservation. No more visiting resorts, shopping, or eating quick service without taking a bus now....
WOW if this is true I would be shocked.

21stamps

This is good news.

wannabeBelle

And what about entertainment options at the Mods where there isn't Valet parking?? If this is right, I know a few bartenders and servers who will be not very happy! Marie

MuteSuperstar

You should check out WDW's facebook page about their potato chips. Look at the comments. It is HILARIOUSLY amusing.

Also look at just the general page comments from the past 12 hours or so. Tons of complaints, some trip cancellations....I feel bad for the call center folks today. Will they possibly be shamed into backing out of this?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Does anyone know if this parking fee will apply at Fort Wilderness campsites and cabins? Since you park where you sleep, I am curious how that would work.
It does not apply to the camp sites. Haven't seen confirmation one way or the other on the cabins.

Surely these price increases are also scaring people who are maybe considering DVC as well? The annual dues are increasing as always, they are over the $200 a point and perks are slowly being taken away.

When I'm thinking about buying in but then I see all the other ways, I'm probably going to be nickel and dimed along the way, I'm not sure if it's much of a deal or something I want to invest in long term
Except that DVC members won't pay for parking. Swing and a miss.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Hasn’t this always been the case? Let’s be honest, thanks to dining reservations 180 days out, is anyone really walking up to any TS at WDW expecting to be seated?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Also look at just the general page comments from the past 12 hours or so. Tons of complaints, some trip cancellations....I feel bad for the call center folks today. Will they possibly shamed into backing out of this?
I just called Disney and they gave me a "one time exception" to refund my annual pass. $905 back into my account. Staying offsite now.

CaptainAmerica

All the complaining on the boards is nice, but what everyone needs to do is complain to GR. Now. I haven't seen any positive response to this, just go check out the Disney groups on FB, people are TICKED off and it's dawning on many now what kind of company Disney has become.
Why would there be positive response? It's effectively a price increase. Of course everyone is complaining. Complaining to guest relations isn't going to do a thing unless people ACTUALLY stop coming. People have been complaining for years about this, that, or the other thing. But they're still coming, and in greater numbers than ever.

CaptainAmerica

Good. This is a HUGE problem at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Bunch of Cousin Eddies showing up every evening to gawk at the architecture and savannas. It's gauche.

IanDLBZF

All the complaining on the boards is nice, but what everyone needs to do is complain to GR. Now. I haven't seen any positive response to this, just go check out the Disney groups on FB, people are TICKED off and it's dawning on many now what kind of company Disney has become.
Sounds like we have protest or even a boycott coming up the road with this one.

Speaking of which, I received a call from someone on the behalf of George K, they said they this would basically be a test and they are aware of all the complaints about this on the internet already. I've also emailed Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer who said he would be bringing my concerns to VisitOrlando CEO/President George Aguel. Hopefully we can have some form of intervention by us the fans and maybe VisitOrlando or even elected officials.

RoyWalley

Universal, Busch gardens, and seaworld will be getting more of my vacation dollars overall. We went to Disney in early december of last year ( a time of the year that is supposed to be "slow) and the weekends there were so crowded, you couldn't even get on the worst rides without a 45 minute wait. The overall change of the fastpass system heavily favors people who plan every second of their vacation ahead of time. Kind of takes away the spontaneity of a trip.
Just sayin.... I don't agree with WDW new policy, but
Parking
Universal charges a $20-per-night self-parking fee ($27 for valet) at its luxury resorts for registered guests; day guests pay $22 for self-parking and $32 for valet. Cabana Bay charges $12 for overnight guests (self-parking only), and $20 for day visitors. parking. There are no annual pass discounts on parking at the hotels.

trainplane3

I won't post the source since it isn't right to do, but here's an argument that can be summed up as "Disney is following the trend and isn't doing anything wrong".
Again, more complaining. And to those who are constantly looking for things to ******* about, here's an idea...

Instead of complaining, how about being at least somewhat THANKFUL that Walt Disney World was one of the *LAST* big corporate resort destinations to charge for parking. Seriously people, where was all the complaining about Universal charging for hotel parking for *YEARS*? or how about Las Vegas? or basically any larger corporate hotel in any big city or resort destination? Where is all the complaining for spending $20 on parking to see an Orlando Magic game or $25 for a Lakers game? And you're only parking there for a FEW HOURS!!! Or how about the $10 - $15 parking I pay for seeing a show at any performing arts center?

Do the people complaining not realize that EVERY OTHER DISNEY RESORT charges for overnight parking??? Disneyland in California, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney Resort, Aulani in Hawaii, etc, etc, etc...

CHARGING FOR PARKING IS NOT UNCOMMON, PEOPLE!!! GET OVER IT!!!

I mean, FFS, Gaylord Palms here in Orlando charges $22 if you just want to go in and walk around for an hour!!! They will only validate your parking there if you spent $50 at one of the restaurants. At the Disney resorts, you can still park for free if you want to just go check out the resort, visit the shops, or eat at a restaurant.

Oh, and another Fun Fact! Swan & Dolphin (not Disney owned, but on Disney property) have charged for overnight parking for DECADES and let me share with you now how many complaints I've heard about that over the years. Ready? Here goes...

ZERO!

Seriously, people... If an average of $18 for parking is going to be a dealbreaker on your Walt Disney World vacation then you know what? You probably aren't going to be the target demographic for staying on property anyway so do the rest of us a favor and shut up and stop complaining!!! We are sick of hearing it.
Personal note - I feel Disney should be a trend setter, not a follower (for better or worse). Just because XYZ is doing it, doesn't mean they have to. Be different, be unique, be special. Don't be another company XYZ.

I think I'm done with that forum. I can't stand it when an owner isn't professional and just yells at its' own users for having a personal opinion. Thankfully @wdwmagic is a good place to have conversations and arguments. It probably has some of the most "enjoyable" arguments I've seen around the internet. No name calling, screaming, shouting, or swearing, just people trying to make their point (well 99% of the time). And luckily, this sites owners express their own opinions on various topics (food/ride/etc reviews).

Edit: Corrected font size in places to match the forum post.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

I won't post the source since it isn't right to do, but here's an argument that can be summed up as "Disney is following the trend and isn't doing anything wrong".

Personal note - I feel Disney should be a trend setter, not a follower (for better or worse). Just because XYZ is doing it, doesn't mean they have to. Be different, be unique, be special. Don't be another company XYZ.

I think I'm done with that forum. I can't stand it when an owner isn't professional and just yells at its' own users for having a personal opinion. Thankfully @wdwmagic is a good place to have conversations and arguments. It probably has some of the most "enjoyable" arguments I've seen around the internet. No name calling, screaming, shouting, or swearing, just people trying to make their point (well 99% of the time). And luckily, this sites owners express their own opinions on various topics (food/ride/etc reviews).
I don't care whether it's a trend or not. Disney can do whatever they want and it's not "wrong" (outside of outright lying to people). They could charge $287 per night for the right to use a toilet and it's not "wrong" as long as the fee is known and disclosed and the guest willingly agrees to pay it. This is a free exchange of services for money, entered into willingly by consenting parties on all sides. "Wrong" has nothing to do with it.

Don't like it, don't pay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom