News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

asianway

My guess is both...

You charge for parking, so non-guests pay
Then you charge for a resort fee that includes parking for resort guests

The house wins both ways..
Disneyland used to do the resort fee which included parking. Now parking is separate and no resort fee

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The only way this would be equitable would be to close the resort lots to all but resort guests. Day guests and visitors can simply park at Downtown Springs or the TTC lot and take transportation if they want to visit the resorts.

That way, WDW could just charge every resort guest party a $30 resort fee that includes parking if you have a car, and doesn't if you don't.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The only way this would be equitable would be to close the resort lots to all but resort guests. Day guests and visitors can simply park at Downtown Springs or the TTC lot and take transportation if they want to visit the resorts.

That way, WDW could just charge every resort guest party a $30 resort fee that includes parking if you have a car, and doesn't if you don't.
From an administrative stand point that would be easiest, but I wonder if they fear losing money from the restaurants at the resorts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
From an administrative stand point that would be easiest, but I wonder if they fear losing money from the restaurants at the resorts.

it boils down to what's their real motivation regarding parking. They can always spin it to cover their tails.

For instance..
I could say the resort fee is for parking, transportation, a bottle of water, etc
I could say parking at the resort costs $10/hr, $30 a day
I could say named parties on a dining reservation at table restaurants will have parking validated for free for up to 3hrs
Anyone is welcome to enter the property via Disney transportation available via the TTC

This would basically be exactly where we are today, except Disney gets a resort fee out of every room... and Disney would ban the park and stay model explicitly. But do they want to? Do they feel they need to? These are the angles only they can tell us. Unless they have taken on some new vigor about parking congestion.. which doesn't seem to be the case.. I think this is more about revenue and less about parking scoffs... so less motivation to close parking loop holes. Just collect a fee and operate as they do today.

Another interesting twist they could take is... take away the free park parking lots for resort guests... basically forcing people onto Disney transportation (or alts). But who knows how much of a load that would really change.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disneyland used to do the resort fee which included parking. Now parking is separate and no resort fee

the thing is.. the DLR hotels are in such a different scenario vs wdw that I have a hard time drawing links between them. I mean, they operate major portions of the parks differently.. I doubt anyone would sweat the hotels continuing to operate with different policies. And we have basically an entire new company mindset now... I fear all past logic is out the window :(

Lets Respect

If they move towards charging for parking when you have an ADR (or charging after 3 hours) they may clear up some of the congestion at some of the lots as a nice side effect. Many people may not be interested in it anymore if they can't leave their cars there all day

Bandini

I can' understand Disney charging for parking at the MK and Epcot resorts, because the parking lots are pretty full. But charging at CBR, CS, Pop, and All Stars seems pointless. Every time I've visited, those lots have been empty. But I guess this isn't a supply and demand issue. It's more of a "how can we squeeze more money out of the marks....oh I mean guests" type problem.:cautious:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You may be right, But I still think WDW is losing their repeat business. Our last trip was 2 years ago and before that we used to go annually. We have no plans to return, even with the new attractions.
I wonder how many first time visitors, who had the potential to become repeat vacationers are choosing to go elsewhere because of the nickel and diming.
Disney is still very much attracting first time visitors but they are not converting enough of them into long term (repeat) customers. People used to visit for the first time and become a "Disney Family". While that still happens, I think its far less often than in years past. The common denominator I have seen when speaking with families who visited is the price. Ive had several friends who have visited (who make good money) and they were one and done. They were more relieved to have gotten it out of the way for the sake of their kids. Whether it was friends, colleagues or just people I have met sitting at a bar, they all mention the price as a reason they wont return (or at least for a long time).

Bandini

Disney is still very much attracting first time visitors but they are not converting enough of them into long term (repeat) customers. People used to visit for the first time and become a "Disney Family". While that still happens, I think its far less often than in years past. The common denominator I have seen when speaking with families who visited is the price. Ive had several friends who have visited (who make good money) and they were one and done. They were more relieved to have gotten it out of the way for the sake of their kids. Whether it was friends, colleagues or just people I have met sitting at a bar, they all mention the price as a reason they wont return (or at least for a long time).
I think it's the price combined with the hassle. If WDW was truly an awesome experience that it was in years past, I don't think the money would be as much of an issue. More people would end their vacations intending to return....someday.

lazyboy97o

Clearly they just don't understand that price doesn't matter on vacation.

JoeCamel

I would agree if you substitute the word "value" for price. In most cases it is about the perceived value not the dollars spent. People hate to be treated as marks.

asianway

the thing is.. the DLR hotels are in such a different scenario vs wdw that I have a hard time drawing links between them. I mean, they operate major portions of the parks differently.. I doubt anyone would sweat the hotels continuing to operate with different policies. And we have basically an entire new company mindset now... I fear all past logic is out the window :(
I agree, BUT, if they are serious about upgrading overall standards, both coasts' hotel operations should be put under one SVP with 20 years of Marriott/Hilton experience

SugarMagnolia75

So it is lower. That makes sense and is probably what Disney would have to do too. A $30 parking fee on a $100 value hotel room is hard to sell. $30 when you are already paying $500+ at a deluxe isn't as bad to sell.

I don't like paying for parking when we're at Universal, but I can swallow it because I'm getting more bang for my buck at on-site accommodations. We probably paid less to stay at Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific than what it would cost to stay at a Disney Moderate the majority of the year. Adding resort fees/ parking fees would make us reexamine the way we vacation.

drizgirl

I don't like paying for parking when we're at Universal, but I can swallow it because I'm getting more bang for my buck at on-site accommodations. We probably paid less to stay at Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific than what it would cost to stay at a Disney Moderate the majority of the year. Adding resort fees/ parking fees would make us reexamine the way we vacation.

That really is the crux of the issue. Many of us feel like the resort fees and parking were already built into the higher prices. If you start with higher prices and THEN add on resort and parking fees, it's a whole different thing.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That really is the crux of the issue. Many of us feel like the resort fees and parking were already built into the higher prices. If you start with higher prices and THEN add on resort and parking fees, it's a whole different thing.

It does make a difference when the higher prices were (quietly) known to have those fees baked in, and then they get added as a not-so-hidden fee but the rate isn't reduced.

lazyboy97o

It does make a difference when the higher prices were (quietly) known to have those fees baked in, and then they get added as a not-so-hidden fee but the rate isn't reduced.
That Disney is considering such fees (which we know to be a fact due to the surveys) shows the continued strength of the business model changes pioneered by Paul Pressler in the mid-90s. Whereas Walt Disney World was created selling wholistic experiences, the change over the years has been to break everything down into more and more component parts that themselves must be profitable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hear what you are saying about getting a better value, but in a lot of cases a person who is focused on value will be more turned off by additional fees than someone who is not as focused on value. Anyone staying at GF or a Disney deluxe resort isn't really all that concerned with value anyway. What's another $30 on top of the already steep prices they are willing to pay. Compare that to someone who stays off property and gets a $65 room on International Drive through Priceline. They are going to be steaming mad when they see it costs $30 to park at the hotel.

I don't see a parking or resort fee impacting occupancy at the Disney deluxe resorts. What I think will be interesting is how they price parking at moderate and especially value resorts. Someone staying at the value resorts is obviously more focused on price and saving money. I think a parking or resort fee would be a lot more negatively perceived there even if it's only $10 or $15 to park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom