News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know the primary reason to charge for parking would be to make more money, but I also wonder if Disney is also hoping to get less people to rent cars and instead use the Magic Express bus and stay captive on property for their stay. Less rental cars means more money made on food and drinks and less trips down the road to see the boy wizard.

Pleakley

The problem with charging for parking in an attempt to get more guests to use Magical Express is that they have been billing it as a "free" service. Does it really feel so free anymore if, besides taking a cab/Uber, your only alternative is paying a large parking fee?

Also, I think it would feel a little stingy to charge more for parking at the deluxes when you've already paid a premium to be there. As it is there aren't enough perks for the price, and maybe if there were it would help with the occupancy rates. More than $10 or $15 makes sense nowhere imo.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I know the primary reason to charge for parking would be to make more money, but I also wonder if Disney is also hoping to get less people to rent cars and instead use the Magic Express bus and stay captive on property for their stay. Less rental cars means more money made on food and drinks and less trips down the road to see the boy wizard.

I'd guess this is part of it. It is one thing that makes sense.

Parking certainly isn't a routine problem. We drive down some, fly and rent cars some, and borrow cars some (I grew up down there and still have family/friends in the area). Because we (wife's parents retired to Ft. Myers) have family and don't always communicate, weird things always happen when we're on vacation. For example, my sister might call and tell me she's meeting us at The Wave (a restaurant my whole family approves of which is rare) in an hour and we'll drive over to the Contemporary. We were there over Christmas for 3 or 4 non-theme park days a couple of years ago and parking wasn't an issue. Also, I am a tonga toast addict, and I'll make sure to get some every trip and on occasion those ressies are late in the morning (a time where I would guess if lots and lots of people were parking there for the day the lot would be packed) and, if anything, it is much closer to 1/2 to 1/3 full. Parking at Disney Springs/Downtown Disney can be bad, by can be, I mean will be bad...but for most of the rest of the resort I never have any problem. People come and visit us at whatever resort we're at and they never have trouble finding a place. Because of my situation, going down there without a vehicle would be problematic. We could probably work around it, but it would be a hassle. I'm just sitting here thinking to myself and I can recall a time or two in the last 5 or 6 years when the Contemporary lot appeared full, but once you found a spot out in the boondocks, there were easily 100 spaces. It isn't entirely logical, but I feel better about paying for parking when I'm at a place where I know parking borders on impossible like downtown Chicago.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
That Disney is considering such fees (which we know to be a fact due to the surveys) shows the continued strength of the business model changes pioneered by Paul Pressler in the mid-90s. Whereas Walt Disney World was created selling wholistic experiences, the change over the years has been to break everything down into more and more component parts that themselves must be profitable.

You mentioned surveys and it got me thinking-in the surveys you've (or others here) been involved in, did they specifically ask about parking/resort fees? The reason I ask is that I was asked to fill a WDW survey in a week or so ago, that seemed centered around the AP. However, I do remember being asked in various formats, about the value-be it the AP, parks,etc., and the multi-answer responses did include asking about it being too expensive (something along those lines). I wish I had paid better attention but I wonder if those marketing responses would be taken, to measure if these rumored added fees could be instituted

RobidaFlats

You mentioned surveys and it got me thinking-in the surveys you've (or others here) been involved in, did they specifically ask about parking/resort fees? The reason I ask is that I was asked to fill a WDW survey in a week or so ago, that seemed centered around the AP. However, I do remember being asked in various formats, about the value-be it the AP, parks,etc., and the multi-answer responses did include asking about it being too expensive (something along those lines). I wish I had paid better attention but I wonder if those marketing responses would be taken, to measure if these rumored added fees could be instituted

I think there were other threads, but here is one that specifically asked about a resort fee: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-survey-on-implementing-a-15-resort-fee.911211/

Edit: A non-forum article: http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...a-nightly-resort-fee-to-its-resort-hotels.htm

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem with charging for parking in an attempt to get more guests to use Magical Express is that they have been billing it as a "free" service. Does it really feel so free anymore if, besides taking a cab/Uber, your only alternative is paying a large parking fee?

Also, I think it would feel a little stingy to charge more for parking at the deluxes when you've already paid a premium to be there. As it is there aren't enough perks for the price, and maybe if there were it would help with the occupancy rates. More than $10 or $15 makes sense nowhere imo.
The Magic Express would still be free so I think it would make that option even more appealing. If I'm going and trying to decide between a free bus ride from the airport or renting a car I now have to factor in additional money to park at the resort instead of just paying for the car rental and gas.

As far as the deluxe resorts go, I agree they are overpriced but that doesn't seem to stop people from going. $30 for parking would be a drop in the bucket compared to the room rates.

I agree that more than $10 or $15 doesn't make sense. I'll take it a step further and say charging anything for parking really doesn't make sense to me. As @George said, this is the middle of a swamp with plenty of parking available not the middle of a large city where parking is at a premium. It costs them next to nothing to maintain those lots.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I think there are TWO goals here, One lock the guest onto WDW property so they CANNOT see the other Orlando area attractions this is what the $30 buck parking fee does,

Second the hotel numbers are down and WDW needs a quick fix so 'Resort Fee' to the rescue. This has the advantage of not being subject to the room and meals tax so a $50 dollar resort fee is $50 bucks to Disney and none to FL/Orlando as opposed to a room price increase where FL and Orlando get to share in the revenue.

Contrary to popular opinion I do think Disney is arrogant enough to do this,

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't know if this was discussed already. It's hard to wade through pages of arguments over beaches and vacation habits but I didn't see it discussed. When they talk about a parking fee is it for people not staying at the resort who are just visiting a friend or maybe there for a meal or for all cars including resort guests? The fact that they have an hourly rate seems to imply it's for visitors not guests staying at the resort. It's a pretty well known abuse that non-guests will try to sneak into resort lots under the guise of having a dining reservation to beat the theme park parking fees. They may be looking to close that loophole. Charging $30 for an actual hotel guest to park seems ridiculous even for Disney.

It's insane yet I believe Disney is arrogant enough to do this.

lazyboy97o

The Magic Express would still be free so I think it would make that option even more appealing. If I'm going and trying to decide between a free bus ride from the airport or renting a car I now have to factor in additional money to park at the resort instead of just paying for the car rental and gas.
Disney has rental car facilities on property that would enable shorter term or day rentals. Then there are ride hailing apps like Uber and Lyft.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney has rental car facilities on property that would enable shorter term or day rentals. Then there are ride hailing apps like Uber and Lyft.

Under this regime I think that car rentals on-property are an endangered species and UBER and Lyft will probably be barred from property as a 'safety' measure.

Disney like a vampire needs to suck every last penny out of their guests and they can't do that if guests are going 'off-property'.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Remember - Disney is "the leader" in the Orlando area. They charge more for admission, and then others follow, not the other way around. So if Universal charges $12-20/day for parking, Disney isn't going to follow, they are going to lead - $30/day for parking. (*DI$ mic drop*)

They've wanted people basically captive on-property for years, ever since they introduced Magical Express. That will remain "free", though, it will just be part of the TBA resort fee, under "Complimentary Disney Transportation". And let's be honest, any costs associated with it were always baked into your room price. Just don't expect room rates to drop much when they implement the resort fee. And I could easily see Disney banning Uber and Lyft, essentially, by not allowing them thru the security gates, both at the parks and at the resorts. I'm not saying they for certain will, I'm just saying I can see them doing it. Why? Because...

This no longer my father's Disney, it is not the Disney of my childhood/20's/30's, and it sure as hell isn't Walt Disney's Disney. It's now just a bunch of cutthroat MBA's completely beholden to Wall Street analysts and large shareholders who view guests as nothing more than walking ATM's, and their goal is to extract as much money from those ATM's as they can. If they can make more money by banning ride-sharing services, they will do it. And a captive audience is a money-making audience. If you can't go off-site, then all your money has to be spent on-property. It's all about the brand, now, remember? It's no longer THE Walt Disney World Resort, it's Walt Disney World Resort. It's not THE Magic Kingdom, it's Magic Kingdom Park. And I, for one, HATE that, it makes me vomit in my mouth a little every time I see or hear it.

Now, that being said... Resort fees? Count on them, eventually, as sure as the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. People can look at this thru Disney-colored MAGICAL!!! glasses or look at this thru the view from reality. But either way, they are going to happen, it's only a matter of when. It's a multi-multi-million dollar annual revenue stream with minimal expenditures required, and TWDC & TDO have shown an unending desire for those types of things. End of story.

Edit: Fixed some spelling mistakes.

dennis-in-ct

I think it's the price combined with the hassle. If WDW was truly an awesome experience that it was in years past, I don't think the money would be as much of an issue. More people would end their vacations intending to return....someday.

Agreed. Value and Hassle

The cost does not justify the experience. I have visited dozens of times from 1975 - 2005. When we visited last June, I felt like I was being gouged and nothing much seemed to change. In other words, we felt like we were paying 400 times more than we used to and there was nothing new to justify the experience. We expect and know we will pay more and we still felt gouged.

The other component was the HASSLE.
Having to book fastpasses and restaurant ressies so far in advance - for me - helped to suck the joy out of the visit. It was ridiculous.

For years I would stay on property - WL, Yacht Club, AKL, SSR all the moderates, one All star and one POP. This past June we found a room off property by the mall (behind Mary Queen of the Universe) and had mini apartment for less than the moderate resort prices. WDW is insane - delusional. We spent 35.00 on a bad lunch at epcot. Hamburger, chicken sang, fries and fountain drink. By contrast, we had a 31.00 dollar dinner for us at an OUTBACK. Delusional.

Here's the deal - they could double all the prices and people would sill come. These additional charges ( resort fees ) is disgusting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good point, but it's much more limited and more expensive than renting from the airport. Depending on the time of year and when you book Orlando airport has some pretty good deals for car rentals and a lot of discount brands to choose from too. I'm not even sure Disney would really care too much about people renting a car for a day or using Uber to visit Universal. What hurts the bottom line worse is if people have a rental car and can get outside the bubble to eat meals and buy cheaper merchandise on a recurring basis during their visit. Back in the day you could get the concierge desk at a Disney hotel to book a Meers shuttle to Sea World and probably Universal as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Under this regime I think that car rentals on-property are an endangered species and UBER and Lyft will probably be barred from property as a 'safety' measure.

Disney like a vampire needs to suck every last penny out of their guests and they can't do that if guests are going 'off-property'.
I think the car rentals will stay as long as they are still profitable. Uber and Lyft are interesting problems. How will the front gates treat Uber drivers if they arrive to pick up a guest? Will they charge a fee to get in? Can I just tell them I'm an Uber driver and beat the parking fee? Does Uber/Lyft give drivers ID cards or some way to validate they actually are working for the company? I've used Uber but I've never asked for identification.

I can't see them banning Uber/Lyft. It's becoming too mainstream in society today.

RobidaFlats

I think the car rentals will stay as long as they are still profitable. Uber and Lyft are interesting problems. How will the front gates treat Uber drivers if they arrive to pick up a guest? Will they charge a fee to get in? Can I just tell them I'm an Uber driver and beat the parking fee? Does Uber/Lyft give drivers ID cards or some way to validate they actually are working for the company? I've used Uber but I've never asked for identification.

I can't see them banning Uber/Lyft. It's becoming too mainstream in society today.

The initial post said that under 30 minutes would be free, so under that plan the Uber/Lyft stuff should be a non-issue.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think there are TWO goals here, One lock the guest onto WDW property so they CANNOT see the other Orlando area attractions this is what the $30 buck parking fee does,

Second the hotel numbers are down and WDW needs a quick fix so 'Resort Fee' to the rescue. This has the advantage of not being subject to the room and meals tax so a $50 dollar resort fee is $50 bucks to Disney and none to FL/Orlando as opposed to a room price increase where FL and Orlando get to share in the revenue.

Contrary to popular opinion I do think Disney is arrogant enough to do this,
According to SEC filings the occupancy is up, not down in recent quarters but I'm sure they just lie in those SEC filings anyway:confused::rolleyes:o_O

The sales tax treatment is also an area of question. In a lot of states (including Florida) there is regular sales tax and then an additional tax on hotel rooms. The resort fee is always subject to standard sales tax but it's a grey area as to whether the resort fee should also be subject to the hotel room tax. Some states have decided that because the fee is mandatory it should be considered part of the room cost so is subject to the additional hotel tax. At WDW the regular sales tax is 6% and the hotel tax is 6.5%. So for a resort fee you still pay 6% tax and at best you are beating the additional 6.5% but that loophole could be closed at any time and has been in some other states.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom