News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

RobbinsDad

I'll agree with you on Daytona and Tampa.. but Siesta Key actually is a nice beach and a fun vacation spot.

As for expensive beaches in Florida- Key West, (already said) Palm Beach, Jupiter, Boca Raton, Miami...maybe even Naples or St Augustine, can all have an overall higher cost than WDW. Key West costs me about the same as WDW... it would be a lot more than WDW if I was comparing to most Disney resorts. Most of that is because of the transportation options, and activities that we do while there.. and mostly- I drink and eat a little (a lot) more while in KW.lol

Anyway.. I think all of these comparisons are odd. Not directing this just at you, it's the conversation. I don't understand why people continually compare WDW to other destinations. They aren't the same.
I can understand comparing Disney to Altlantis, or Legoland, or even Universal more so than to a "beach vacation". I do agree that there are "top vacation spots" to choose from during the decision making process.

Side note- currently I'm deciding between a kid's bday quick trip to WDW or staying in a Yurt and hiking for 3 nights. Apples to.....salmon, maybe? I have different motivations for each, and not sure which one I will choose. Either way it won't be because of Disney being good or bad. It may have a lot to do with crowds and Delta though. Lol
Beach, mountains, desert, tundra, space, whatever. Point was we're not supposed to worry about the money, as long as "memories" are made.

21stamps

I'm not sure it's silly. We've done that comparison before and decided for Disney some years, and for the beach others. It's not apples to apples for sure, but it is still a reasonable comparison. I think Disney or Universal would be apples to apples.
Based strictly on price? Or on what you wanted out of a vacation that year? It's ok to not always choose Disney. IMO..it's better to not always choose Disney. There's a big world out there..with all kinds of experiences waiting for us.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm not sure it's silly. We've done that comparison before and decided for Disney some years, and for the beach others. It's not apples to apples for sure, but it is still a reasonable comparison. I think Disney or Universal would be apples to apples.
I respectfully disagree. We did a Norway DCL cruise last year and wdw in 2015 . there is no comparison IMO between 2 distinctly different holidays. Not saying one is better than the other .

21stamps

I guess it boils down to the aspects of the comparison, but I do agree with you.
That's what I was saying earlier this morning. How does one decide where to go? I'm going to assume that most people have a list of places they'd like to go.. you "compare" as in what meets your fancy at that time. Maybe it's Norway, maybe it's Hawaii, maybe it's WDW. All so different.. but we have different motivations at different times. Price can be a factor..but shouldn't be the driving motivation. Meaning if you have a general travel budget you already know that your choices will fit in said budget.. from there it's just the decision of what you want to do at that moment in time. There's no wrong answer or "bad investment".

beachlover4444

The hotels like Marriott off property are charging for parking to keep the locals from just coming to swim at their hotel. If u r going thru a gate a d show u r a guest there is no reason to have to pay to park at the hotel. They will price the,selves out of business there is already too many ala carte things now

drizgirl

That's what I was saying earlier this morning. How does one decide where to go? I'm going to assume that most people have a list of places they'd like to go.. you "compare" as in what meets your fancy at that time. Maybe it's Norway, maybe it's Hawaii, maybe it's WDW. All so different.. but we have different motivations at different times. Price can be a factor..but shouldn't be the driving motivation. Meaning if you have a general travel budget you already know that your choices will fit in said budget.. from there it's just the decision of what you want to do at that moment in time. There's no wrong answer or "bad investment".

Unfortunately that's just not reality for many families.

njDizFan

I love how you always clip and snip my posts to suit you. I was responding to someone who quoted me, as you clearly read. Now we've slithered into some odd reality where Myrtle Beach and a Flagler hotel have somehow become equivalents. The conversation is over. But in true trademark 'never typing a thing which contributes to the conversation' fashion..you once again tried to pick an argument. Your boredom, constant negativity, and need for drama is not my responsibility. Have fun. Your little group has become so tiresome..including all of the fake profiles. You're all on ignore from here on out. Go stalk my Instagram page if you want...I'm done with you here. Only truly disturbed humans would care so much about someone on an internet Disney fan site. To such lengths as to find personal social media accounts and use a profile pic captured from an Instagram photo of a mother and her son. To stalk from one site to another..searching and following. That is a degree of twisted that goes beyond anything I've ever seen.

It's a Disney site.. stop trying to turn it into to some kind of sick twisted playground for misfits.

I acknowledge my responsibility in the situation for even responding to the comments and profiles. It stops now.
I agree with some of what you said but I think you need to see this from the other side. Some of us are active member for many years, and have build friendships and relationships. We have seen posters come and go. Now you come into our "family" with such a contrarian attitude that it comes off as trollish. Not only the type of comments you make but the quantity. In 6 months you have what 5K plus posts and it seems to be in every thread. We are always up for new voices and speaking for myself I do not want to live in an echo chamber but you have to have some sense of how you come off.

lazyboy97o

I don't believe that. I believe they can get away with a lot, but people will catch on and it will impact the bottom line enough for them to adjust.
The pattern of history is that there will not be a gradual decline that can be easily corrected as soon it is noticed. Instead, the bottom will fall out and the halls so purged of a once unique culture that there will be serious struggles to right the course, as the only known means of "business" will be those same ones that created the problem.

Angel Ariel

What beach do you go to for 1/2 the cost of Disney? I spend more at the beach than Disney and the only entertainment included is the beautiful ocean.

For us, beach vacations are much less expensive than Disney because beach vacations are typically extended family vacations and we all go in together on the cost of the house, which is the major cost of the vacation. Each family is responsible for 2 dinners for everyone (buying food, cooking it that night, etc). Each family is also responsible for any food/drink for breakfast/lunch/etc that they specifically want. We do all share food, though.

So while the final amount of the house for the week (Outer Banks) may be much more expensive than what our 3 person family would pay for 6 days at DLR, the cost to our 3 person family is actually less because we are splitting the biggest cost up between multiple families.

Grimley1968

The pattern of history is that there will not be a gradual decline that can be easily corrected as soon it is noticed. Instead, the bottom will fall out and the halls so purged of a once unique culture that there will be serious struggles to right the course, as the only known means of "business" will be those same ones that created the problem.

This is depressing but may well be true. It seems like every trip we've taken to WDW in the past decade or so, that "Disney difference" in relation to other parks and destinations seems to be disappearing. Even DLR seems to be slipping.

RobbinsDad

For us, beach vacations are much less expensive than Disney because beach vacations are typically extended family vacations and we all go in together on the cost of the house, which is the major cost of the vacation. Each family is responsible for 2 dinners for everyone (buying food, cooking it that night, etc). Each family is also responsible for any food/drink for breakfast/lunch/etc that they specifically want. We do all share food, though.

So while the final amount of the house for the week (Outer Banks) may be much more expensive than what our 3 person family would pay for 6 days at DLR, the cost to our 3 person family is actually less because we are splitting the biggest cost up between multiple families.
Outer Banks. How positively cretin. We only summer in St. Barths or the Hamptons.

Chef Mickey

I'll agree with you on Daytona and Tampa.. but Siesta Key actually is a nice beach and a fun vacation spot.

As for expensive beaches in Florida- Key West, (already said) Palm Beach, Jupiter, Boca Raton, Miami...maybe even Naples or St Augustine, can all have an overall higher cost than WDW. Key West costs me about the same as WDW... it would be a lot more than WDW if I was comparing to most Disney resorts. Most of that is because of the transportation options, and activities that we do while there.. and mostly- I drink and eat a little (a lot) more while in KW.lol

Anyway.. I think all of these comparisons are odd. Not directing this just at you, it's the conversation. I don't understand why people continually compare WDW to other destinations. They aren't the same.
I can understand comparing Disney to Altlantis, or Legoland, or even Universal more so than to a "beach vacation". I do agree that there are "top vacation spots" to choose from during the decision making process.

Side note- currently I'm deciding between a kid's bday quick trip to WDW or staying in a Yurt and hiking for 3 nights. Apples to.....salmon, maybe? I have different motivations for each, and not sure which one I will choose. Either way it won't be because of Disney being good or bad. It may have a lot to do with crowds and Delta though. Lol
I never meant to compare them as similar experiences. The only way I compare Disney to beaches is to lump it in with other "top" destinations (meaning they are highly desirable). Typically the more desirable, the more expensive. Someone earlier acted like they couldn't understand how a beach could cost more than Disney. I said comparing Disney to a meh beach isn't really comparable on any level. Frankly, no beaches are really comparable to a Disney, but you have to at least use TOP destinations as a category if you're going to discuss them as top travel destinations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Berkshire's product is buying companies. The point was never that Berkshire is the same as Disney. It's another respected company that fully discloses it would RATHER buy back shares at 1.2x book value than issue a dividend. Buffett views a dividend as a waste of money he could be using to buy companies.

Because Birkshire's whole product *IS THE STOCK VALUE* - Their business is about playing the market value PERIOD. Of course they are going to favor strategies that move the stock up. You can't get this Wall Street mentality out of your head as much to realize the difference between valuing the stock price vs valuing the return the company generates over long periods.

That's why I said the analogy is lame.. but you're so fixated on what you've been brought up on (pleasing the short term stock price) you can't get the blinders off.

In fact, he sees buybacks as so valuable that he'd use money he could use to buy companies to buy back his own stock.

BECAUSE HES PLAYING THE MARKET! Not creating anything. He acts more like a Mutual Fund then a producer. He is playing wealth management, not being a producer worth holding for long term returns.

Long term capital gains are taxed at a much lower rate than dividends at ordinary income.

But you can't live off potential value either. Better to pay tax and get something, then get nothing at all.

It's not as black and white as you're making it sound. Other companies do similar return programs and they aren't all stupid. Apple has the largest capital return program at $250b. They are doing $175b in buybacks and $75b in dividends. Why not more dividend you ask? Well, they clearly think their shares are undervalued, as does Disney.

Apple had a long history of not paying dividends even while stockpiling the largest cash reserve in the market - its not about market conditions. They only recently started paying dividends after much pressure to do so because they weren't showing analysts they were doing anything good with the stockpile.

I'm not saying its black&white... we are talking about businesses doing it at EXTREMES while neglecting other needs. What is black&white is the defense of these moves as 'the norm' or 'stockholder #1 right now' even at the expense of stockholders in the grander scheme.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Either way works for that silly comparrison.

People goto the mountains, beaches, forrests, or even theme parks.. to be entertained. It's pretentious to think your idea of 'best entertainment' supercedes other's own personal tastes. It's why Disney is the best of it's breed.. not the best period.

The poster didn't try to say the beach was better at Disney at being Disney.. they were comparing alternate forms of entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom