News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

mm121

They might need a 4th parking garage at Disney Springs.

All in all, charging for parking at the resort's is good strategy for a host of reasons. Although this does give Universal an edge I guess.

they'll just add a 10 dollar an hour charge to park at disney springs to pay for the construction of a 4th garge

its only a matter of time before they charge to park there too

mm121

So if the rumoured change is implemented, could ap holders who drive to wdw could still technically park for free in theme park car park and leave their car there unless park hopping or going offsite for the day and use Disney transport to get from resort to park....? :confused:

i doubt they approve of overnight parking in the theme park lots

as having a bunch of cars there already makes the parking attendents job more difficult

even if they allow overnight parking now, which i doubt they do, once they implement this i'm sure disney will get a fleet of magical tow trucks

Siren

OMG @ this thread -- 24 Pages?!? There is no way. LOL.
And the best and most obvious reason would be to insure more captive audience situations. Keeping people onsite and spending every available nickel at Disney. I'm amazed that they didn't do this years ago as soon as they instituted the Magical Bus from the Airport.
Hi @Goofyernmost! You totally deserve a medal for this post. I didn't think of this. Very well said.

Since when did Disney become a "ball park"? I could have sworn that they used to the be industry standard. As far as it taking money....haven't they been making cash out of the wazoo over the last few years?
Hi @draybook! Disney is the industry standard of theme parks and service -- but, not hotels. However, Disney World deserves recognition for their amazing pools, immaculate grounds and overall theme-ing.

I'm still stuck on the $50 parking. People actually pay 50 bucks to park at a baseball game? Heck, we got to Atlanta every so often for cheer competitions and hair shows and such and can park the whole day at the World Congress Center for 10 bucks.
LOL. Yes, if you want to be right at the stadium and in a secure lot.

I'm always at the ballpark and sometimes my dad will come and join me and keep me company. So one night, the game ended very late and we had to take him to his car. My dad parked like a mile away down some dark random street that he couldn't remember. And, we spent like half the night looking for his car.

Then, we passed this street filled, people, police cars, tow trucks and lights flashing everywhere and his car was right there at the scene. The cops were waiting for him, all the other cars had been broken into and vandalized -- fortunately, his wasn't. He got scolded by the cops so bad, which was funny. But, then they were looking at us like we made him park there or something. And, I'm like -- seriously? Is it really worth it? Pay the fee! So, I had to get him a parking pass. Otherwise, he would still do it. LOL.

Anyway. Wow! You go to hair shows!!! That sounds awesome. I've never been to a hair show before -- so, I might have to put that on my bucket list. And, $10 dollars for parking is definitely a steal!

Our last trip cost well over $8,000 and if this resort/paring fee is added on it would have added another $600. This last trip was 12/27-1/7. I split between PO and YBC to decrease cost. Bought one AP and dined according to the discounts( came out 300 ahead) and consciously did not order alcohol to cut costs. Did one Sinature meal, a few table service and more counter service then we ever did on past trips all to make this trip more affordable. I hav even been researching DVC. All I have left to cut costsis to bring peanut butter sandwiches into the parks and thats when it stops being a vacation for me. Especially when there so many other options. Disney wins, they want to decrease attendance well they just lost this family of 5.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here.

This is where I struggle because you paid $8000 for a vacation part of which was spent in a motel. And yet, you consciously did not order alcohol just to cut costs and then ate mostly counter service to make an almost 10K vacation more "affordable." That doesn't sound like fun to me at all. Again, I just can't pair a 10K vacation and "affordable" together. And, if you want a glass of wine at dinner or a beer or something -- you should be able to budget for that with no problem.

And, it's not just you. I believe you are the norm, not the exception here -- because I read this type of complaint all the time on these forums.

I imagine the average Disney deluxe vacation is in the $12K -15K range for a week. And, $5K - $7K at the values and moderates. This isn't peanuts.

It's just strange for me to see so many people upset at Disney like they are going to starve or be homeless or something, when they've got 10K to burn on a vacation. This is a luxury vacation.

And, I have not seen this attitude presented toward any other travel destination in the world.

Every year the airlines go up. And, even basics at home like water and electricity go up. But, Disney is expected to remain the same. I just don't understand it.

I'm not judging, everyone is entitled to their feelings. There is no right or wrong here, IMO.

non hotel guests parking at the resorts that have been exploiting the free parking "loophole"

i really hope those idiots that use to brag about parking at the resorts for free thus causing even more people to do it are happy now since they are punishing everyone, even paying hotel guests for their abuse
Thank you for pointing this out. The greed is a two way street, IMO. There is no doubt that Disney is greedy, but their guests are mostly to blame because they are just greedy if not more.

For every action there is a reaction -- and in many cases, Disney is simply reacting by closing exploited loopholes and abused practices.

There is a "get over" mentality that I have observed within the Disney fan community. There is a certain large segment of guests who aren't satisfied unless they feel like they are taking Disney straight to the cleaners.

First, it was legacy Fastpass. Everyone had a blast hoarding fastpasses and ignoring the time enforcement windows, as intended. When, that loophole closed, people became enraged.

Then there was the dining vouchers from hotwire. This started to get abused so badly on Ebay. So, Disney axed them.

Then, came the dining plan which was great because it included the tax and tip. People complained that service had gone way down because servers were guaranteed gratuity. This system also could not distinguish between adult and child credits -- once that got out, it was abused rampantly. Guests could also use snack credits for anything like cartons of milk and a huge box of donuts or whatever. Everyone was ordering Steak and Lobster or the most expensive item at every single meal, so menu's needed to be cut and watered down. Plus, there was so much waste, so portion sizes were slashed in half (this was a good thing, though) I still like the dining plan but the value is gone, it's just a convenience now -- with the exception of free dining but I have never used free dining.

People reusing old mugs brought on the new annoying drink dispensers. However, there are mugs that are supposed to be lifetime mugs. Disney should still honor those.

People were hoarding (still do, LOL) Dining Reservations, this brought on the cancellation fee system. Not to mention, people selling hard to get reservations.

Children have to go through the biometric scanners now because of rampant ticket fraud.

People were abusing the disability card for front of line access costing a lot of people who really needed it to lose that benefit.

Disney is constantly battling frivolous lawsuits.

Fraud. Theft. Everywhere.

And, of course the parking loopholes are expected to be closed.

The paint brushes at Tom Sawyers Island were disappearing and popping up on Ebay. Just like the cards for the MK sorcerers game.

I can't even begin to fathom what Disney's overhead is. And yes, the consumer is partly to blame -- in the end we all pay for it. I honestly wonder how much of this played a role in how Disney prices things.

And, quite frankly at times it seems like Disney has become downright hostile toward some guests based on their dissatisfaction and complaints. However, this is not my experience with Disney -- I still feel like Disney Parks are the gold standard.

I suspect this "resort fee" thing could be greed but maybe it's not. Disney may be looking for ways to recoup loss. I have to look at this objectively from all angles.

If Disney does implement this "resort fee" then there should be at least something tangible for the guests.

ETA: Disney is greedy too, especially with the whole Hb-1 visa thing. And now, Disney has to shell out over $100 Million dollars for ripping off their artists or something.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Our last trip cost well over $8,000 and if this resort/paring fee is added on it would have added another $600. This last trip was 12/27-1/7. I split between PO and YBC to decrease cost. Bought one AP and dined according to the discounts( came out 300 ahead) and consciously did not order alcohol to cut costs. Did one Sinature meal, a few table service and more counter service then we ever did on past trips all to make this trip more affordable. I hav even been researching DVC. All I have left to cut costsis to bring peanut butter sandwiches into the parks and thats when it stops being a vacation for me. Especially when there so many other options. Disney wins, they want to decrease attendance well they just lost this family of 5.

This is where I struggle because you paid $8000 for a vacation part of which was spent in a motel. And yet, you consciously did not order alcohol just to cut costs and then ate mostly counter service to make an almost 10K vacation more "affordable." That doesn't sound like fun to me at all. Again, I just can't pair a 10K vacation and "affordable" together. And, if you want a glass of wine at dinner or a beer or something -- you should be able to budget for that with no problem.

The pink font is ..... ~interesting~.

And I just love when posters think they know so much about a complete stranger on the internet that they can tell them what they can and can't budget for with "no problem"?

SorcererMC

Again... if you actually read your cites... it's about disclosure and how the prices are advertised... not challenging the right to charge said fee. The hotels can come up with a "fresh air fee" and congress nor the FTC could stop them. The authority to regulate here from the federal level is based on the idea of the commerce clause of the constitution and hence is limited to acts that would "impede" commerce as it relates to the open market... which is why they focus on disception, unfair practices, and manipulation in the market... not what the market is actually selling. The fed doesn't have the authority... that's in the state's hands. The fed and FTC try to challenge the practice by regulating how the prices are advertised and presented... not what components make up the total cost.

It is not simply about the advertising; the failure to disclose an accurate price impedes competition, ie the practice itself is anti-competitive. Assessing and adjudicating competitive practices is the primary mission of the FTC, and they have the legal authority to enforce it per the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Under Section 18 of the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. Sec. 57a, the Commission is authorized to prescribe "rules which define with specificity acts or practices which are unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce" within the meaning of Section 5(a)(1) of the Act.​

In the case of hotel resort fees - they CAN do it, but they have not. Your argument is based on the exercise of such authority being unconstitutional, but the courts have not invalidated the law...unless or until that happens, they can do it.

I agree with you however that the hotel industry would be 'more creative' in trying to secure other revenue streams.

Last edited:

Siren

This is such a wonderful forum. It has always been very warm and welcoming. Most posters here are highly intelligent and very kind and respectful to each other. I just hope it doesn't get run down by a small handful of very rude and disrespectful new posters.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Yes everything gets more expensive...but remember too, Siren dearest, that WDW prices have also increased on everything... No one is expecting everything to remain the same price forever...but it's these additional revenue streams that are upsettting...ticket prices go up every year, food costs go up every year, hotel prices go up every year...but then when there is an added parking charge that equals the cost of a meal out added on top of everything...a "resort charge" that is added...just because "other hotels charge it"...
These are the little things that add a lot of bad feeling and frustration...to us guests that are already paying a premium price for a nice vacation...
and i like the pink font :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Only a damn fool would have an issue about what color font I use. I really hope this wonderful forum doesn't get run down by a handful of ignorant and classless new users.
A person commented on your font color. You fire back and call them (and apparently others) "damn fool", "ignorant", and "classless". How very tolerant of you.

Perhaps it will make you feel better to post that gif of that lamborghini again that you used to describe yourself, or just more stock photos of foot wear.

Siren

Yes everything gets more expensive...but remember too, Siren dearest, that WDW prices have also increased on everything... No one is expecting everything to remain the same price forever...but it's these additional revenue streams that are upsettting...ticket prices go up every year, food costs go up every year, hotel prices go up every year...but then when there is an added parking charge that equals the cost of a meal out added on top of everything...a "resort charge" that is added...just because "other hotels charge it"...
These are the little things that add a lot of bad feeling and frustration...to us guests that are already paying a premium price for a nice vacation...
and i like the pink font :)
Hi @Bocabear! OMG, your timing is so impeccable. I don't think I've ever told you this before but I think you are such a gentleman. And, all your posts are so eloquent and thoughtful, even when I totally disagree with them.

You stayed in the Poly Bungalows right? That's definitely big money. So, if you feel like these charges could be a deal breaker then I totally respect that.

I'm also just trying to guess the reason behind the fees.

And, I just hope no one feels like I am judging them or their vacation style because I'm not. It's just sad that people are forced to cut back on things like dining and can't enjoy a drink or something while on vacation. That's akin to going to the movies and not being able to buy popcorn. It just seems like a stressful way to vacation and that is not what vacation is about -- at least, not for me.

Anyway, @Bocabear -- this isn't our first rodeo and hopefully it won't be the last but you how this goes. Per the course, the time has come for me to unsubscribe and gracefully bow out of this.

PS. And, I'm really glad you like the pink font. LOL.

disney4life2008

Well...technically, most Disney resorts are motels (but with theming!) lol. Humor me for a second: what's the difference between a hotel and motel? Room access; interior vs. exterior entrance to your room. So I'm not sure if I would pay a "resort" fee for the All Stars. Boom, I just got out from paying the resort fee!!

Honestly, I am not sure what a resort is? I would argue most of the buildings are hotels and not resort. To me a resort is all inclusive. The moderates and higher, I can see a justifiable resort fee; however, all star is a no. When I visited sports last week, there were flies crawling all over the pastries in the food court, food on the floor that had not been cleaned.

Grimley1968

As to the "are they resorts?" question about the Values, I'd bet Disney would say anything on their property is a resort, whether they're essentially motels or even the campgrounds. They have to find some kind of verbiage to justify "resort fees" if/when they come to pass.

21stamps

The nastiness by some people here is so incredible. I (kind of) understand it on a political site..but a Disney one? Day after day after day..same people spouting off same nastiness.

I do have to wonder, Is there perhaps any kind of coincidence that this little bundle of joy group are the ones who have such bad experiences at WDW...

I disagree with a lot of things that @Bocabear and @SorcererMC write...and I'm sure they feel the same about me. Sometimes we agree, most of the time we don't. Disagreeing isn't always an argument or cause for juvenile name calling. It's definitely not a cause for attack.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The nastiness by some people here is so incredible. I (kind of) understand it on a political site..but a Disney one? Day after day after day..same people spouting off same nastiness.

I do have to wonder, Is there perhaps any kind of coincidence that this little bundle of joy group are the ones who have such bad experiences at WDW...

I disagree with the majority of things that @Bocabear and @SorcererMC write..and I'm sure they feel the same about me. Sometimes we agree, most of the time we don't. Disagreeing isn't always an argument or cause for juvenile name calling. It's definitely not a cause for attack.
And others spouting the same thing over and over again. Different side of the same coin....

21stamps

As to the "are they resorts?" question about the Values, I'd bet Disney would say anything on their property is a resort, whether they're essentially motels or even the campgrounds. They have to find some kind of verbiage to justify "resort fees" if/when they come to pass.
There's a campground that we go to in Indiana..it's called a "RV Resort". It's a campground. Not my idea of a "resort". But they do have a restaurant, pools, playgrounds, beaches, boat rentals, mini golf, basketball, clubhouse, etc. It's still a campground.lol
Point being, I think "resort" means amenities on property. As opposed to a hotel or motel where you'd stop just to get a quick night's sleep while heading to a different destination.
However, there's plenty of "hotels" that have the same type of amenities as listed above. So, who knows. But I have seen "resort fees" at places listed as a "Hotel". Plenty, actually.

Cletus

The pink font is ..... ~interesting~.

And I just love when posters think they know so much about a complete stranger on the internet that they can tell them what they can and can't budget for with "no problem"?
Yeah....totally reminds me of that evil Avenger family over on DIS. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom