News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

RobidaFlats

Some of us lurk, sorry not sorry if my newness is offensive.
TikiLurk.jpg

njDizFan

That's what I said in a previous post.. if they throw in a few things to justify a resort fee then I could see it happening. But what's being said here is that nothing extra will be included. The charge will be for existing offerings. There's a million articles on resort fees..people hate them, but they include SOMETHING. A place like WDW implementing a resort fee while not adding a service. It would cause outrage.

This wouldn't be people on message boards. It would be every press outlet.

Those are all revenue gaining items that are attractive to some people. That's the difference with this proposal. It would be attractive to 0 people.
So if they throw in a FP that's ok? The slippery slope of monetizing the FP system will then be in place.

DrActorKJ

I haven't stayed on site the last 3 or 4 Disney World vacations. Adding fees like this will only serve to ensure I never stay on site again. For an upcoming Orlando vacation, I'm not even planning on setting foot on Disney property. Universal and Sea World are getting our business this trip. There's nothing new to see at Disney, and won't be for years, anyway. The only nights now spent staying on Disney World property will be the night before Disney Cruises, like for Disney Cruise number 2 coming up in September. So glad I took @WDW1974's advice and gave the cruise line a try last year. It's not cheap, but it's a better experience than Disney World right now.

contrariwise

I'm not disagreeing with all that you've said here. I'm saying that there's a difference between upcharge events that the majority of the general public could really care less if they are there or not, and implementing a resort fee without adding anything additional.

A Resort Fee (with no additions) at Disney World would be all over the news. It wouldn't be an individual deciding there isn't value, it would be an outcry of a "Rip Off", bc it would be exactly that.
The resulting negative press would be massive. I just don't see a company taking a risk in that way.

I know YOU see a meaningful distinction. I don't. And there are others who don't.

I know YOU think adding the resort fee is unconscionable. I agree with you, but there are others who don't. And probably plenty of others, who won't even view it as a blip on the radar screen. Disney is counting on it. For every one of us who thinks this is crap, there's a horde of people eager to justify it.

As for "all over the news" or "outcry" or "ripoff", or "massive" negative press, I think this is hyperbole. Disney has done a bunch of rotten stuff, and sure, there's press coverage, and for sure, we, on the message boards wring our hands and stamp our feet, but Disney marches on. They know it, and they are counting on people to just keep accepting LESS for MORE money.

I think there will be eventually be fallout for Disney over this slew of bad decisions, but when? Your guess is as good as mine.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
My estimation is that they will add something to encourage a resort fee. Regardless if its the all stars or GF, they still are resorts

Well...technically, most Disney resorts are motels (but with theming!) lol. Humor me for a second: what's the difference between a hotel and motel? Room access; interior vs. exterior entrance to your room. So I'm not sure if I would pay a "resort" fee for the All Stars. Boom, I just got out from paying the resort fee!!

SorcererMC

Like I said.. "over is 'deceptive' or unfair practices that impact commerce". I'd love to see the arguments in the case you mention.. because I'm sure the arguments are over disclosure and cancellations. And getting a refund after a cancellation is a completely different scenario then simply what price is charged. That would be about things being unfair over charging with refunds... not about if the fees are allowable or not.

I was addressing this statement:

The government can't say "you can't have resort fees"

The current policy on allowing the industry practice of resort fees and disclosure requirements was set by the FTC in 2012. The FTC has rule-making authority, and IMO they are laying the groundwork to change it. Last year (maybe June or July?), FTC Chairman Ramirez (now former) stated that FTCA section 5 applies to hotel resort fees, and urged Congress to act (as did the Natl Economic Council 12/28/16). The paper I linked to earlier was published 5 Jan 2017, and concluded that the practice is harmful to consumers because the amount of the resort fee impacts final price and therefore the decision to purchase.

In the anecdotal case I was referring to - my relative challenged the amount of the refund on the grounds that the pricing and refund policy were not clearly displayed on the hotel website/ booking page. He sent an e-mail citing the federal statute, and I think a screenshot of their page.

SorcererMC

Average guest that price sensitive?

Yes. The price elasticity is affected when drip pricing is used, ie advertising an upfront price and then adding fees through stages of the buying process. They have a reduced willingness to pay when there is an additional $20-30 fee not included in the advertised price.

ETA: Certainly for the 'avg guest', but not for savvy travelers who expect it.

Last edited:

draybook

Fine. I'll take this as a compliment.

The OP has stated that resort fees are the industry standard. Disney finally seems to want their resorts to meet the standards of the Four Seasons, so we can expect to pay the fees associated with that.

However, I can't recall ever paying resort fees at the Four Seasons unless this is something very new.

No one wants to pay more for anything, myself included. But, it has already been stated that Disney plans to improve mousekeeping and upgrade the overall service and quality at their resorts. This is a good thing -- but, unfortunately it takes money.

Very well said. I totally agree.

I agree that the fees should be included in the room rate. But, please don't cancel your trip over parking fees.

It costs $50 to park just for a couple of hours at the ball park.

I think Disney will have to justify the resort fees with added amenities like bottled water, morning paper and mini bar goodies or some kind of voucher. I think.

Since when did Disney become a "ball park"? I could have sworn that they used to the be industry standard. As far as it taking money....haven't they been making cash out of the wazoo over the last few years? I'm still stuck on the $50 parking. People actually pay 50 bucks to park at a baseball game? Heck, we got to Atlanta every so often for cheer competitions and hair shows and such and can park the whole day at the World Congress Center for 10 bucks.

JoeCamel

That's what I said in a previous post.. if they throw in a few things to justify a resort fee then I could see it happening. But what's being said here is that nothing extra will be included. The charge will be for existing offerings. There's a million articles on resort fees..people hate them, but they include SOMETHING. A place like WDW implementing a resort fee while not adding a service. It would cause outrage.

OK, I have been busy with life but I need to respond.

WDW has been charging resort fees, parking fees and magical express fees for years. They just roll them into the exorbitant room pricing they have charged during that time. They are now doubling down and charging again for all those things.

Remember "They are tourists - what do they know" has been the mantra for years now. People paying above top dollar for a sub par experience. Get out to the real world with real experiences and stop pretending the "bubble" is worth treble charges for three star or lower accommodations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom