News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

NearTheEars

It's different. This benefits no one. Not Disney, not any consumer.

Where/when has it been done?
Tickets? Nope. That makes sense. They had to stop the non expiring at some point. People can rationalize that decision.
Packages? People can rationalize that as well.
These things wouldn't be deal breakers for many folks.
I don't know of anything that is Apples to Apples with something like this proposal. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

Again, I think you are way underestimating the amount of money this could bring in without lifting a finger, and overestimating its negative impact on future bookings. If anything, there will be a brief hoopla among the fan community and everyone will move on.

This is the company that destroyed the Tower in California. They don't care about bad PR among fans.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I think you are underestimating the outcry this could receive. Especially if everything "included" in this fee is already offered as free.

A child was snatched from the shore of one of WDW's most famous resorts by an Alligator and was killed.
Negative press for weeks.

People are still lining up in droves to get in.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I personally love all the fees and surcharges being added. I'm cautiously optimistic on a large ticket price increase soon as well. The more that can be done to keep the poors from Disney World the better.
Yeah, that's the point....:bored:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I personally love all the fees and surcharges being added. I'm cautiously optimistic on a large ticket price increase soon as well. The more that can be done to keep the poors from Disney World the better.

Today we will take over the Magic Kingdom, and tomorrow Walt Disney World WILL BE MINE!

Disorbust

I would be stunned if this doesn't become a reality. We know the company's history of squeezing the lemon/guest. After I read Disney War I really felt sick that I was funding the execituves egos and thats how I feel now but whats different thistime it's is a tipping point for me. Our last trip cost well over $8,000 and if this resort/paring fee is added on it would have added another $600. This last trip was 12/27-1/7. I split between PO and YBC to decrease cost. Bought one AP and dined according to the discounts( came out 300 ahead) and consciously did not order alcohol to cut costs. Did one Sinature meal, a few table service and more counter service then we ever did on past trips all to make this trip more affordable. I hav even been researching DVC. All I have left to cut costsis to bring peanut butter sandwiches into the parks and thats when it stops being a vacation for me. Especially when there so many other options. Disney wins, they want to decrease attendance well they just lost this family of 5.

21stamps

OK, I have been busy with life but I need to respond.

WDW has been charging resort fees, parking fees and magical express fees for years. They just roll them into the exorbitant room pricing they have charged during that time. They are now doubling down and charging again for all those things.

Remember "They are tourists - what do they know" has been the mantra for years now. People paying above top dollar for a sub par experience. Get out to the real world with real experiences and stop pretending the "bubble" is worth treble charges for three star or lower accommodations.
That's not an added fee. It's a price. There's a difference between the 2.

Other people here have said the exact same thing as I've been saying, feel free to quote them if you'd like. I won't repeat myself again. Resort Fees and Room Prices are different., one is a much uglier animal under a more intense microscope.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was addressing this statement:

The current policy on allowing the industry practice of resort fees and disclosure requirements was set by the FTC in 2012. The FTC has rule-making authority, and IMO they are laying the groundwork to change it. Last year (maybe June or July?), FTC Chairman Ramirez (now former) stated that FTCA section 5 applies to hotel resort fees, and urged Congress to act (as did the Natl Economic Council 12/28/16). The paper I linked to earlier was published 5 Jan 2017, and concluded that the practice is harmful to consumers because the amount of the resort fee impacts final price and therefore the decision to purchase.

Again... if you actually read your cites... it's about disclosure and how the prices are advertised... not challenging the right to charge said fee. The hotels can come up with a "fresh air fee" and congress nor the FTC could stop them. The authority to regulate here from the federal level is based on the idea of the commerce clause of the constitution and hence is limited to acts that would "impede" commerce as it relates to the open market... which is why they focus on disception, unfair practices, and manipulation in the market... not what the market is actually selling. The fed doesn't have the authority... that's in the state's hands. The fed and FTC try to challenge the practice by regulating how the prices are advertised and presented... not what components make up the total cost.

mm121

That would add $300 to our stay. I wonder if ap holders will continue to get free parking or package stays will include this.

if a hotel guest has an annual pass that covers parking at the parks will they still have to pay parking at the hotel?

that seems like a slap in the face to out of town AP holders which means they get zero benefit from the parking included with their pass

mm121

Not all hotels on Disney property are resorts. They can't possibility charge a resort fee for Pop and All-Star. It's not a resort! Hell you can get those rooms for $80 a night during off peak months. Then they are going to tack on a $20 a night fee (industry standard) and a $30 a day to parking? That sounds a little extreme even for Disney.

this whole plan is totally insane.

especially for the values, 30 for parking and 20 for a resort fee is like a 1/3rd of the room rate if its 150 bumping it to a no longer "value" price of 200

and not necessary as the values have big parking lots

i totally understand the necessity for charging "NON HOTEL GUESTS" for parking to cut down on and to prevent the "free parking" loophole

but this is going completely overboard

and a free 30 minutes is a JOKE!! thats not even enough time to visit the gift shop, like a free 2 hours would be understandable thats enough time to explore the resort and shop in the gift shop maybe have a meal, but not long enough for someone to park at the resort and take a bus over to the parks

i hope they are ready to build build build parking garages at disney springs, as i could even see hotel guests trying to park there now

looks like its only a matter of time before DISNEY SPRINGS starts charging for parking event though its not designed for it

mm121

I agree that we should be calling and writing the resorts, but how is this not the same thing as baggage fees?

Not everyone needs/gets a car while at WDW, so that makes parking fees okay?

This is 100% the same thing. This is Disney not wanting to raise rates, hotel rates in this case, to cover the costs of rising expenses. So instead they'll advertise $80/night vacations, and in reality you'll be paying $130/night.

All so you can have the pleasure of riding a smelly bus with the rest of the masses from your Hampton Inn quality room. (Minus the free breakfast of course)

Not sure who is running the show over there, but if this is accurate, they should be let go.

The better thing to do. The honest thing to do. Is to just raise the rate. Don't try to play people for suckers. All this does is damages the brand.

a few times i got hit with an unexpected resort fee and/or parking fee after booking a room on hotwire or priceline where they dont tell you the name of the resort

its so frustrating to get to the hotel and find out it costs 20-50 dollars more than you thought it was going to, especially if you could have just booked a nicer room somewhere else that didnt have those fees

its false advertising to get people to book at lower rates and then hit them at checkin at which point in time its too late to do anything about it since in most cases especially when booking online the room has already been paid for with no refunds

mm121

The problem with staying off site would be I think, no more EMHs. If that is not a pull for you to stay in park then that is great. There they have you.

soon their wont be such a thing as EMH anyways

at least not in the current free for hotel guests way they are now

its only a matter of time before these cost extra too

mm121

$30 a day to park? That's crazy.

in an urban downtown where a hotel has limited parking its not so crazy

but in the concrete wonderland of the value and moderate resorts yes its crazy

even the deluxe resorts would be fine from a "spaces available" standpoint if they implimented this just to non hotel guests parking at the resorts that have been exploiting the free parking "loophole"

i really hope those idiots that use to brag about parking at the resorts for free thus causing even more people to do it are happy now since they are punishing everyone, even paying hotel guests for their abuse

what happens to the hotel restaurants though now? does paying for parking at your "home" resort cover parking if you want to drive over to a different resort for dinner.

how many locals have supported the hotel restaurants/shops? that will no longer do so?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom