News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s anecdotal, but that doesn’t make it less telling: Several of my coworkers just returned from Spring Break trips to WDW, and all complained about the prices and value. These are people making six figures and they have young kids. They’re Disney’s ideal audience. The frustration may finally be seeping into mainstream crowds, not only the fan forums.

What's funny is that they seem to
Be alienating the one/ few timers they covet...not old dvc curmudgeons like me...

We are going for break this year...just have ZERO expectations to get anything done. We may not leave DAKL some days...

The_Jobu

Between this greedy scheme and the reduced staffing they've finally turned me into an e-mailer. Already re-considering a 2 week in-park stay.

WWWD

I think people are mad that their already overpriced hotel room was just made even more expensive for no good reason...

It’s a money grab, but that’s what public companies do when they can. The shareholders kind of demand it. Oh I so wish that Walt Disney World was a private company where all the business practices of a public company are gone. As long as guests are still willing to spend, the company will find ways to capture the money.

DisneyDad79

I will be in Disney again this year for 7 Days with my wife and two boys. I started staying off-site last year to save some extra money to spend on extra dinners and stuff for the boys in the parks. We are staying off-site again this year but were talking about going back again when starwars opened up and staying on-site. This news will keep me off-site. We always stay at Moderates and at $19/night that is $266.00 for a two week vacation which we do. Granted it is vacation and things cost money but If I can stay off-site "in disney springs" for 1/2 the cost of a disney hotel, I will; even if a little hotel magic gets lost. vacations cost money but it become aggravating when they hit you at all angles.

Oh and thanks for all the work on this site. Big time reader first time poster..

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It’s anecdotal, but that doesn’t make it less telling: Several of my coworkers just returned from Spring Break trips to WDW, and all complained about the prices and value. These are people making six figures and they have young kids. They’re Disney’s ideal audience. The frustration may finally be seeping into mainstream crowds, not only the fan forums.

My local (Bergen County, NJ) newspaper even picking up on this...

3FD419F3-D92A-4F37-AF5C-59EF3120CE20.png

FWIW, there is rarely any Disney related news in that paper.

CaptainAmerica

Except that crowds are surging. You can complain about big crowds or you can complain about high prices but you can't complain about both. The solution to crowds is higher prices.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What I don't get is why the "parking fee"? They had to know this was going to set off a firestorm. Interesting they chose this battle to fight.

They could have implemented the "resort fee" for a slightly higher price and had that fee include the parking. Still would have created the firestorm, but it would've given them a little more room to operate. They could rationalize the fee, by including a type of Chinese menu, where as part of the fee, you could pick from things like an additional fast pass per day, maybe a 10% off voucher for a table or quick serve location or shopping, photo pass credits, etc. Yes, these things would be phased out over a short period of time, but it would make the transition a bit easier for them.

But they chose to implement the "parking fee" and fight this battle now - and all hell is breaking loose. When they do get around to the "resort fee" it will break loose again. Seems like poor vision on Disney's part regarding its guests. Or maybe it is - they just don't care.

CaptainAmerica

What I don't get is why the "parking fee"? They had to know this was going to set off a firestorm. Interesting they chose this battle to fight.

They could have implemented the "resort fee" for a slightly higher price and had that fee include the parking. Still would have created the firestorm, but it would've given them a little more room to operate. They could rationalize the fee, by including a type of Chinese menu, where as part of the fee, you could pick from things like an additional fast pass per day, maybe a 10% off voucher for a table or quick serve location or shopping, photo pass credits, etc. Yes, these things would be phased out over a short period of time, but it would make the transition a bit easier for them.

But they chose to implement the "parking fee" and fight this battle now - and all hell is breaking loose. When they do get around to the "resort fee" it will break loose again. Seems like poor vision on Disney's part regarding its guests. Or maybe it is - they just don't care.
Or, like I and others have pointed out, it's not just about the fee. Disney is trying to change behavior. They want to dissuade people from driving and get everyone captive on property. There's no reason for a targeted fee when a universal fee will do unless you're targeting a specific group for a specific reason.

It's the mathematical equivalent of raising prices across the board and then giving a discount to people for using Magical Express.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
How much is bad PR worth. Look at Disneys Social media right now.
Well, long term, bad PR is terminal and Sea World might be the ultimate example of that, but if you are trying to leverage income in the short term before either asset stripping or selling a business at an inflated price, then this sort of price gouging might be a valid business strategy.

Comparing the negative PR of adding parking fees with cruelly forcing wild sea creatures to live in confined spaces where they are forced to do tricks and be on display is silly. This negative PR will blow over and people will forget they ever lived in a world without parking fees at Disney World.

CaptainAmerica

Not really an epic fail if ... parking fees ($50 m) are followed by Magic Express fees (maybe as much as $148 m) and then resort fees for everyone are added for WiFi, transportation to parks, gyms etc. Gosh we could be talking about a very large amount of money on the table without any extra expense in service provision -- providing people are silly enough to pay.
Magical Express is not a service, it's a marketing expense. Disney is closer to paying you to use it than they are charging you for it.

Honestly, have people never put five minutes of though into where WDW's profit comes from?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney is trying to change behavior. They want to dissuade people from driving and get everyone captive on property.

But they're not. I'm local. Well, as in about an hour and a half from the parks. There are many locals. And many people within a few hours of the park. We're going to drive. We'll figure out how to deal with the fee. Whether just accepting the increase or cutting down on the duration of the trip. But we're not riding buses, boats, or Minnie-vans. If Disney wants to outlaw cars...well...we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom