News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

po1998

I would like to know how they justify the tiered parking pricing for different resorts? How can the answer be anything but "it's just a money grab"?

The amount of insane money grabs at WDW isn't going to end anytime soon. Resort Fees, FP+ fees are the two that specifically come to mind, in addition to the already established excessive yearly increases for tickets and nightly stays.

I feel bad for those for are within an 8 hour drive of the parks and will always be driving. For me, who will always be flying due to living in the Northeast, rather than rent a car for a few off-site stops during a WDW stay, it will almost always be MUCH cheaper to Lyft/Uber versus renting a car, paying for gas, AND NOW, paying for parking.

On a related gouging side note...I just got back from Orlando(not primarily a park trip), and paid $310(including any taxes) for a 1 day hopper with unlimited front of the line pass(which sometimes was still a 30 minute wait) at Universal.

disney4life2008

Just wait, the day is coming when all those nice perks for resort guests are at a fee...Early/Late Magic Hours, the Ferry, Monorail, Bus fee, security bag check fee, all the roads become toll, the put doors on the entrances to Disney Springs and charge and admission, resort guests will start paying for parking at the parks, Disney Springs, etc where the parking is free right now!

Didnt they already start charging for getting packages delivered? LOL

TimeTrip

I am amused by the fact that it is more expensive to park at a deluxe resort, given that at those resorts you generally have to walk farther to get from your parked car to your room. Clear clear money grab.

I read that according to Disney's internal research, 80% of the Orlando area hotels already charge parking fees. I don't know, is this true? I feel like this isn't.

Nothing is going to change this. If this is indeed the fee being applied to pay for the new front gate security guards will I suppose that is justified then. If the total cost of a security guard after pay and benefits is $50,000 a year and using the why-not-earlier-stated $148 million revenue generated, that comes out to just under 3000 security guards. How many front gate security guards do you suppose there are at 4 gates and multiple shifts? Six gates? Are there new security guards at the waterparks?

With that said, maybe it's my millennial cheapness but I have never paid for the wondrous privilege to park my car at a hotel that wants my business and am not going to start to either. Pft, as if, am cheap.

WWWD

Are people mad about the parking fee or the fact free parking is going away? It’s a revenue stream that a public company has to look at. Every downtown hotel I have stayed in has parking fees and every sports venues have parking fees - paid $50 just for basic parking at an NFL stadium. I hope this fee makes some stay away from the parks because they are just crazy packed anymore.

MM311

Are people mad about the parking fee or the fact free parking is going away? It’s a revenue stream that a public company has to look at. Every downtown hotel I have stayed in has parking fees and every sports venues have parking fees - paid $50 just for basic parking at an NFL stadium. I hope this fee makes some stay away from the parks because they are just crazy packed anymore.

I think people are mad that their already overpriced hotel room was just made even more expensive for no good reason...

drizgirl

But Disney isn't downtown in a land limited area. It was built there for the "blessing of size". I can see them needing it at the monorail and Epcot resorts where parking is so limited. But the fact that they aren't even charging the freeloaders who park there to visit the parks is just ridiculous. And them charging for parking at Pop Century, a full 20 to 25 minute ride from the MK, when it has oodles of space, is just crazy.

Mainahman

But Disney isn't downtown in a land limited area. It was built there for the "blessing of size". I can see them needing it at the monorail and Epcot resorts where parking is so limited. But the fact that they aren't even charging the freeloaders who park there to visit the parks is just ridiculous. And them charging for parking at Pop Century, a full 20 to 25 minute ride from the MK, when it has oodles of space, is just crazy.
We made it back in like 15 minutes from MK last week once. We almost died.... by bus driver but we made it! At least we were sardined in for safety and padding.

Buried20KLeague

I read that according to Disney's internal research, 80% of the Orlando area hotels already charge parking fees. I don't know, is this true? I feel like this isn't.

Nothing is going to change this. If this is indeed the fee being applied to pay for the new front gate security guards will I suppose that is justified then. If the total cost of a security guard after pay and benefits is $50,000 a year and using the why-not-earlier-stated $148 million revenue generated, that comes out to just under 3000 security guards. How many front gate security guards do you suppose there are at 4 gates and multiple shifts? Six gates? Are there new security guards at the waterparks?

With that said, maybe it's my millennial cheapness but I have never paid for the wondrous privilege to park my car at a hotel that wants my business and am not going to start to either. Pft, as if, am cheap.

Whether 80% already charge for parking or not, 100% of that 80% is priced much less per night in similar category quality. Disney claiming they can because everyone else does is apples and pineapples.

People justified the extremely higher cost of staying on site partly by figuring free parking into the cost of the room. That’s gone.

I’ve been here at WDW this past week (staying off site), and I’ve heard WAY more chatter from people around me about nickel and diming than ever before. Significantly more. And that doesn’t even touch the wait times issue.

Keith2426

I may be missing it but why isn’t the thread title on front page of the general discussion page. I can’t seem to find this thread at all now. Just wondering!

tirian

Whether 80% already charge for parking or not, 100% of that 80% is priced much less per night in similar category quality. Disney claiming they can because everyone else does is apples and pineapples.

People justified the extremely higher cost of staying on site partly by figuring free parking into the cost of the room. That’s gone.

I’ve been here at WDW this past week (staying off site), and I’ve heard WAY more chatter from people around me about nickel and diming than ever before. Significantly more. And that doesn’t even touch the wait times issue.
It’s anecdotal, but that doesn’t make it less telling: Several of my coworkers just returned from Spring Break trips to WDW, and all complained about the prices and value. These are people making six figures and they have young kids. They’re Disney’s ideal audience. The frustration may finally be seeping into mainstream crowds, not only the fan forums.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom