News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

fngoofy

30,000 Disney owned rooms. Assuming 75% occupancy (22,500) and multiplying by the median ($18)

$405,000 per day
$148 Million per year
Well not quite.
Not every room drives in. I'd probably put that number at half that. Still, a large number with $0 going out to get it.

Flynnwriter

EMAIL DISNEY WORLD AND COMPLAIN ABOUT ASININE PARKING CHARGES! It's time we all move our opinions from this site to the source. They will listen and take complaints and suggestions very seriously.

MrPromey

I wonder if this parking fee is a plot to get vacationers who are on the fence about a 2018 vacation to book now, rather than wait until 2019, in an attempt to get an extra trip off of them. I wonder if there is a booking surge going on right now until the 21st of March. Then, if they back off the fee, those who booked, will keep a trip they were going to put off until next year, instead of cancelling.

It seems doubtful. If you're already planning on spending a few grand on a trip, another $100-$150 in parking probably isn't going to be killing your plans. In fact, with the annual rate of admission price increases, you could be looking at a similar problem by pushing your stay out if you waited - especially if you're a family of four or more.

This really just feels like an easy and cheap way for Disney to turn those security gates with guards from a cost to a revenue generator while providing nothing to any of the guests impacted by the charge that they weren't getting before with their nightly rate.

I think they're just gambling they can get away with this knowing that while it'll make people who notice unhappy, it won't make them unhappy enough to significantly change their behaviors... Which feels more like the kind of frustration you expect to feel towards a car dealership when they get your car color in stock from another dealer but "discover" it comes with a $500 package already installed that you didn't want - not the kind of crap you want to deal when going on vacation to a premiere destination but I guess we should stop being surprised by this kind of stuff. After all, every other resort in town pulls this scam so why should they worry about their reputation?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
PR and Managment epic failure. They could have raised the resort fees quietly by 10 per night for everyone and no one would have complained or cared and still maintained if not exceeded anytype of revenue projection. Now with all the bad PR and cancelations and modifications of travel behavior they will probably fall well bellow any revenue number they were looking for and with the added bonus of the negative PR.

NelsonRD

It seems doubtful. If you're already planning on spending a few grand on a trip, another $100-$150 in parking probably isn't going to be killing your plans. In fact, with the annual rate of admission price increases, you could be looking at a similar problem by pushing your stay out if you waited - especially if you're a family of four or more.

This really just feels like an easy and cheap way for Disney to turn those security gates with guards from a cost to a revenue generator while providing nothing to any of the guests impacted by the charge that they weren't getting before with their nightly rate.

I think they're just gambling they can get away with this knowing that while it'll make people who notice unhappy, it won't make them unhappy enough to significantly change their behaviors... Which feels more like the kind of frustration you expect to feel towards a car dealership when they get your car color in stock from another dealer but "discover" it comes with a $500 package already installed that you didn't want - not the kind of crap you want to deal when going on vacation to a premiere destination but I guess we should stop being surprised by this kind of stuff. After all, every other resort in town pulls this scam so why should they worry about their reputation?

It is with me. If we do not decide to book a trip by March 21st, we will not go this year. Next trip will be 2019. I am curious how many others share that position.

Calmdownnow

PR and Managment epic failure.
Not really an epic fail if ... parking fees ($50 m) are followed by Magic Express fees (maybe as much as $148 m) and then resort fees for everyone are added for WiFi, transportation to parks, gyms etc. Gosh we could be talking about a very large amount of money on the table without any extra expense in service provision -- providing people are silly enough to pay.

tissandtully

Not really an epic fail if ... parking fees ($50 m) are followed by Magic Express fees (maybe as much as $148 m) and then resort fees for everyone are added for WiFi, transportation to parks, gyms etc. Gosh we could be talking about a very large amount of money on the table without any extra expense in service provision -- providing people are silly enough to pay.
And still no substantial raises for CMs.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

How much is bad PR worth. Look at Disneys Social media right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom