News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

CaptainAmerica

But they're not. I'm local. Well, as in about an hour and a half from the parks. There are many locals. And many people within a few hours of the park. We're going to drive. We'll figure out how to deal with the fee. Whether just accepting the increase or cutting down on the duration of the trip. But we're not riding buses, boats, or Minnie-vans. If Disney wants to outlaw cars...well...we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Of course. For locals and people who drive their own cars, the only change is the fee. For those who fly, however, Disney has just changed the calculus of whether or not to rent a car. People who fly and do not rent cars are, by far, the most profitable guests.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Boy, their site is glitchy. It's back to the page that doesn't mention the new fees and also doesn't mention the free park parking for resort guests...

Oy vey.

The individual resort pages still list the resort parking fee, though. So, not necessarily a roll-back on policy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
People who fly and do not rent cars are, by far, the most profitable guests.

I'll agree with that from a per trip perspective. I'm not dropping 5k per visit. But I do spend a lot more than that over the course of the year. Those dropping the 5k might be back in a year or so, while I'm there every couple of months.

But you are correct that those are the type of guests Disney values most and targets with things like this.

I think a lot of AP's who have the free parking benefit for the parks, are really going to think twice before staying on property. Palm Parkway, Hotel Blvd. and Bonnet Creek are looking better and better everyday. And that's really sad coming from someone who stays "on property" 70% of the time.

CaptainAmerica

I'll agree with that from a per trip perspective. I'm not dropping 5k per visit. But I do spend a lot more than that over the course of the year. Those dropping the 5k might be back in a year or so, while I'm there every couple of months.

But you are correct that those are the type of guests Disney values most and targets with things like this.

I think a lot of AP's who have the free parking benefit for the parks, are really going to think twice before staying on property. Palm Parkway, Hotel Blvd. and Bonnet Creek are looking better and better everyday. And that's really sad coming from someone who stays "on property" 70% of the time.
All true, but not much of a concern from Disney's perspective with capacity where it is.

TeriofTerror

Well,
We fly in and get a rental car. The flights are free because we have Southwest credit cards and have been able to take 3 of us down, every year, for the last 7 years without paying for plane tickets (driving would take 2 days and be a real bummer trip back.)

We get (or maybe it is now past tense) a rental car because it was:
1) Under $200 for 8 days of a midsize SUV
2) We stop at Target and pickup water and fruit and snacks (the water savings alone covered the cost of the car)
3) It was much nicer to be able to drive directly to another resort or Disney Springs or the parks (as their MiniVan service's success supports)

Now we are looking at that costing $400 for the 8 days. We already are hydrated, so I don't see any savings coming from increased water consumption. We are always on the dinning plan, so it wouldn't help to switch to a counter service on a night or two for dinner.

I guess we could cut out buying breakfast in the mornings to make up the $200. It wouldn't quite do it, but between that and a couple of souvenirs. But the reason we go to WDW, get the meal plan, etc is that we don't want to be watching our money.

I always tell coworkers that the difference between Vegas and WDW is that Vegas is trying to part you from your money by hook or by crook and that WDW wants your money as well, but they give you the option to buy or not to buy the shirt, the ears, the $18 balloon, etc. It's a fair trade.

I should say, I used to tell my coworkers that. $24 dollars per day parking is nuts. You might as well do the valet parking, it's only $9 more and you can save the walk. Which, I swear when we did valet when our child was small (and we had the stroller etc.) it was only $12 a day and that would have just been 5 or 6 years ago.

Maybe we need to just use Postmates for the groceries and ditch the car all together. The buses are a pain at times, but $400 is $400.
Since you're flying Southwest, one suitcase can be dedicated to water. That's what I always do! :)

CaptainAmerica

Well,
We fly in and get a rental car. The flights are free because we have Southwest credit cards and have been able to take 3 of us down, every year, for the last 7 years without paying for plane tickets (driving would take 2 days and be a real bummer trip back.)

We get (or maybe it is now past tense) a rental car because it was:
1) Under $200 for 8 days of a midsize SUV
2) We stop at Target and pickup water and fruit and snacks (the water savings alone covered the cost of the car)
3) It was much nicer to be able to drive directly to another resort or Disney Springs or the parks (as their MiniVan service's success supports)

Now we are looking at that costing $400 for the 8 days. We already are hydrated, so I don't see any savings coming from increased water consumption. We are always on the dinning plan, so it wouldn't help to switch to a counter service on a night or two for dinner.

I guess we could cut out buying breakfast in the mornings to make up the $200. It wouldn't quite do it, but between that and a couple of souvenirs. But the reason we go to WDW, get the meal plan, etc is that we don't want to be watching our money.

I always tell coworkers that the difference between Vegas and WDW is that Vegas is trying to part you from your money by hook or by crook and that WDW wants your money as well, but they give you the option to buy or not to buy the shirt, the ears, the $18 balloon, etc. It's a fair trade.

I should say, I used to tell my coworkers that. $24 dollars per day parking is nuts. You might as well do the valet parking, it's only $9 more and you can save the walk. Which, I swear when we did valet when our child was small (and we had the stroller etc.) it was only $12 a day and that would have just been 5 or 6 years ago.

Maybe we need to just use Postmates for the groceries and ditch the car all together. The buses are a pain at times, but $400 is $400.
Get your groceries from Garden Grocer and dump the Dining Plan. You'll save several hundred dolars.

eliza61nyc

Of course. For locals and people who drive their own cars, the only change is the fee. For those who fly, however, Disney has just changed the calculus of whether or not to rent a car. People who fly and do not rent cars are, by far, the most profitable guests.

But I wonder if thAt will change Cap. It might back fire. most folks have a vacation budget so like me, you charge me an extra 120 bucks I generally don't increase the budget, I take it from another area. I have to pay for parking?? ok now I don't buy tee shirts for everyone or skip something else that may have a larger profit margin. you charge me to park so now instead of going offsite 1 or 2 nights, now it's 3 or 4.
I know most folks who rent do so to enjoy not having to deal with Disney transportation. they are still going to bring a car,

rnese

Look, I CANNOT BELIEVE that I'm paying $400/night for a room (Wilderness Lodge), $440/day for tickets to the park, $160/day for food... And they have to punch me in the gut now for parking!?!?! My $1000/day wasn't enough!?!?!?! I used to save for three years, collect Disney Visa rewards, drive from PA (instead of fly) to save money so that I could let my kids experience the "Magic". Well, the thrill is now officially gone!
I'm done. I'll go to the beach. Ocean front rooms are cheaper.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Comparing the negative PR of adding parking fees with cruelly forcing wild sea creatures to live in confined spaces where they are forced to do tricks and be on display is silly. This negative PR will blow over and people will forget they ever lived in a world without parking fees at Disney World.
Well, if we could somehow spin this so that parking fees are cruel to marine mammals, we'll have this rescinded in no time!

CaptainAmerica

But I wonder if thAt will change Cap. It might back fire. most folks have a vacation budget so like me, you charge me an extra 120 bucks I generally don't increase the budget, I take it from another area. I have to pay for parking?? ok now I don't buy tee shirts for everyone or skip something else that may have a larger profit margin. you charge me to park so now instead of going offsite 1 or 2 nights, now it's 3 or 4.
I know most folks who rent do so to enjoy not having to deal with Disney transportation. they are still going to bring a car,
Maybe. I'm just trying to accurately describe a strategy that I think many people are missing. I'm not predicting its success or failure.

For me, this will absolutely mean I no longer rent a car. I've never had the nightmare experiences that people describe with Disney transportation so we only rent if we get a steal of a rate on the car. But even with a rental, we still take the bus to Magic Kingdom and occasionally the other parks as well. Now, no more. But, as I said, I don't mind the Disney transportation and I won't miss hauling two car seats through the airport.

Look, I CANNOT BELIEVE that I'm paying $400/night for a room (Wilderness Lodge), $440/day for tickets to the park, $160/day for food... And they have to punch me in the gut now for parking!?!?! My $1000/day wasn't enough!?!?!?! I used to save for three years, collect Disney Visa rewards, drive from PA (instead of fly) to save money so that I could let my kids experience the "Magic". Well, the thrill is now officially gone!
I'm done. I'll go to the beach. Ocean front rooms are cheaper.
3FA8m0w.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom