WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It fluctuates (naturally)

Ballpark is 19-21%
That’s about where i thought it would be...based on “seasonal fluctuation”

Not bad for 20 year old raw data, eh?

That just proves to me that the numbers haven’t changed much. If they can’t get regular US domestic travel in there...they’re screwed

Parker in NYC

Let's say Disney went through the trouble of hiring and restocking the shelves (even if staggered) and the pandemic rears its head again as if it never left. Which, let's face it, this gonna stick around for a while. Economically, would that be a good move on their part? Asking for a friend.

SierraT

First post, and truthfully sad I’m doing it during this time in history. Initially, I want to thank all the Disney cast members who have done such a fabulous job over the years while we enjoyed our vacations to various Disney destinations. Secondly, I hope said Disney cast members and their families are managing to get through this ordeal with their sanity and hope they are still in good spirits and remaining sane (we are getting a little crazy personally). Thirdly (sounds like a made up word), in my opinion I think Disneyworld will attempt a June opening but primarily because my family has a reservation to be there at that time.

In all seriousness (and I get I’m a new poster and no one really cares what I think ;)), I believe Disney World is earnestly planning for a hard June opening. If all goes well, they will phase the openings mid May and hopefully if there are no hiccups, things will be up and running in June.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

First post, and truthfully sad I’m doing it during this time in history. Initially, I want to thank all the Disney cast members who have done such a fabulous job over the years while we enjoyed our vacations to various Disney destinations. Secondly, I hope said Disney cast members and their families are managing to get through this ordeal with their sanity and hope they are still in good spirits and remaining sane (we are getting a little crazy personally). Thirdly (sounds like a made up word), in my opinion I think Disneyworld will attempt a June opening but primarily because my family has a reservation to be there at that time.

In all seriousness (and I get I’m a new poster and no one really cares what I think ;)), I believe Disney World is earnestly planning for a hard June opening. If all goes well, they will phase the openings mid May and hopefully if there are no hiccups, things will be up and running in June.
Welcome to the forum!

Simba’s Mom

And masks for a place with 70% relative humidity that caters to children seems “problematic”...just a touch

Just had to mention that that excuse doesn't hold water with me. We live in an area with an average temp higher than Orlando, and relative humidity 73 percent (yes, we're the third most humid in the US, way beyond Orlando). Yet, no one hesitated to require masks here.

TrojanUSC

Sorry but not a chance. They are furloughing 65,000+ people starting on Sunday. They wouldn't be taking this action if they planned to soft open a few weeks later. There would be a lot of training and efforts to get things show ready. Universal has already made it clear they won't start to open before 5/31 and Disney wouldn't start any earlier.

Additionally, Florida hasn't even moved to a "Phase I" opening, nor are they close to doing so as cases are still increasing. Disney parks wouldn't be permitted to operate until Phase 3. To get there you need at least four weeks after Phase I, but nearly all experts think there will be some substantial spikes/outbreaks as you try to go through these steps, necessitating closures once again.

Further, and most critically, the CDC guidelines remain in place and will be that way for the foreseeable future. Since WDW has travelers from all over, they will adhere to these guidelines. Do you really think Disney has any interest in being in the news as the source of a COVID-19 outbreak which caused any deaths and people brought back to their home towns?

The earliest you are looking at any kind of soft opening is at least August.

Once there's an approved treatment (not a vaccine), everything opens in full.

It would take months to get the treatment made at the scale that is necessary. Further, many treatments won't be 100% effective. Some also need to be administered daily in a hospital setting, and you still can't have the hospital system overrun.

Just had to mention that that excuse doesn't hold water with me. We live in an area with an average temp higher than Orlando, and relative humidity 73 percent (yes, we're the third most humid in the US, way beyond Orlando). Yet, no one hesitated to require masks here.

There's a difference between hopping out to the store for some milk wearing a mask than there is spending 8 hours in a theme park sweating like crazy. Not to mention nobody is stopping to eat popcorn or churros.

Last edited:

rowrbazzle

Once there's an approved treatment (not a vaccine), everything opens in full.

Efforts to mitigate transmission and treatment for those with more serious cases seem like our best options at the moment. Thankfully, most people who contract the virus don't appear to require treatment (hospitalization).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Efforts to mitigate transmission and treatment for those with more serious cases seem like our best options at the moment. Thankfully, most people who contract the virus don't appear to require treatment (hospitalization).
That doesn’t cut it as those with “less severe” cases spread it to those that may develop them.

There really isn’t a a “severity” with this...I’m no doctor but that seems to be the whole problem after 6 weeks of near constant medical analysis.

TrojanUSC

That doesn’t cut it as those with “less severe” cases spread it to those that may develop them.

There really isn’t a a “severity” with this...I’m no doctor but that seems to be the whole problem after 6 weeks of near constant medical analysis.

Exactly. If you haven't seen the study I posted earlier that shows people are MOST infectious before the first system starts to show. After they get the fever its a sliding scale down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think near everyone this side of Beijing agrees their “numbers” are complete crap...

But unfortunately we have about 20 other developed countries to watch and look for clues...they haven’t been too promising for “quick reopening”

icc2515

Sorry but not a chance. They are furloughing 65,000+ people starting on Sunday. They wouldn't be taking this action if they planned to soft open a few weeks later. There would be a lot of training and efforts to get things show ready.
This is a great point. So I would say that June is out.

I think that WDW will have a limited opening in July. Deluxe hotels and DVC will open first. I also hope that face masks will be mandatory According to the CDC wearing a face mask can slow the spread of the virus. Even children over 2 should wear the face mask according to the CDC. I know that it a very unpopular thing with a lot of people, but for everybody's safety I think that it is crucial. Wearing the mask does not 100% protect the person wearing the mask, but protects the people around the person wearing the mask. So if everybody wears the mask the protection for everybody is increased quite a bit.

rowrbazzle

I don't know what cut it means. If you mean, totally eradicate the virus or prevent it from spreading totally, then I agree. That doesn't appear to be feasible, though. Hence mitigation and treatment.

I mean severity of symptoms and what that means for resources. It's anywhere from asymptomatic to mild to hospitalized to death. I haven't looked recently to see the breakdown across the different "categories." My recollection was that most cases don't require hospitalization.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know what cut it means. If you mean, totally eradicate the virus or prevent it from spreading totally, then I agree. That doesn't appear to be feasible, though. Hence mitigation and treatment.

I mean severity of symptoms and what that means for resources. It's anywhere from asymptomatic to mild to hospitalized to death. I haven't looked recently to see the breakdown across the different "categories." My recollection was that most cases don't require hospitalization.
No...I mean taking adequate steps to reduce the infection rate and overall impact.

There’s no relationship between “severe cases”, transmission, and potential severity in New infectees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom