WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensenrick

More like 15% on balance at most...

In order to have any interest in opening for Florida residents (That’s not gonna happen cause that’s not where the money is...but I’ll play along)....there would have to to be a heavy incentive to get them there...which further causes money loss.

Plus, since you’re inviting day travelers, any type of screening is more problematic...

Can of worms there too.

Well now hold on a second. Are you saying they are better off staying closed until EVERYONE can come, other than opening on a regional basis? Giving incentives for Florida residents to come, Especially when out of state travel is down, has been SOP for a long time. If that's "not where the money is" - where is the money?

It's not like New Yorkers or Brazilian tourist groups (or any international traveler for quite some time) is gonna be lining up at the gates, even on the off chance that several months from now they did decide to open.

Its like someone was talking about the mayor of Las Vegas sounding off about opening that city. Okay, uh, open up whenever, WHO is gonna GO?? I love Vegas, and I'd like to see things get closer to normal, but there is NO WAY I'm getting on an airplane until there is at least a vaccine. But for Disney, there are thousands of loyal customers just a drive away.

If (and I understand this is a big IF) the plan becomes to open at a lower capacity, why wouldn't this (FL only) be the way to go?

As for screening what, other than temp checks, do you think they are gonna do?

TrojanUSC

Well now hold on a second. Are you saying they are better off staying closed until EVERYONE can come, other than opening on a regional basis? Giving incentives for Florida residents to come, Especially when out of state travel is down, has been SOP for a long time. If that's "not where the money is" - where is the money?

It's not like New Yorkers or Brazilian tourist groups (or any international traveler for quite some time) is gonna be lining up at the gates, even on the off chance that several months from now they did decide to open.

Its like someone was talking about the mayor of Las Vegas sounding off about opening that city. Okay, uh, open up whenever, WHO is gonna GO?? I love Vegas, and I'd like to see things get closer to normal, but there is NO WAY I'm getting on an airplane until there is at least a vaccine. But for Disney, there are thousands of loyal customers just a drive away.

If (and I understand this is a big IF) the plan becomes to open at a lower capacity, why wouldn't this (FL only) be the way to go?

There's just not enough Florida residents to sustain the business on a daily basis.

Scrooged

They are going to do whatever is required to properly operate the park and get some revenue safely and efficiently, and with the least liability on their part. What form that takes is still vague at best. I don't see any of the parks opening until at least August, and even then dining will be limited, certain shows will be closed and I am sure there will be some other requirements that parks guests might have to endure. As much as I want things to return to some sense of normalcy, I'd rather everyone be safe and secure in the knowledge that they can safely enjoy this space when the time comes again.

WDW862

Limited capacity of rides means limited capacity of parks by a lot....which means it throws the entire point of the parks out of complete financial whack.

There won’t be disenfecfing on rides...
1. It’s not really practical and could be dangerous
2. By wiping down rides, the Walt Disney company accepts some responsibility for doing it from a legal perspective.
What’s to say that will work? And better yet - what’s stopping anyone under the sun from suing them cause they say so?
I want basic safety precautions. Temperature screening, mandatory mask, no firework/theater shows, reduced hours, and heavy disinfecting.

jensenrick

More like 15% on balance at most...

In order to have any interest in opening for Florida residents (That’s not gonna happen cause that’s not where the money is...but I’ll play along)....there would have to to be a heavy incentive to get them there...which further causes money loss.

Plus, since you’re inviting day travelers, any type of screening is more problematic...

Can of worms there too.

What is the percentage of international travelers? I hate to say it, but those travelers are probably the last bastion of travelers that is going to return- am I wrong?

Giss Neric

What is the percentage of international travelers? I hate to say it, but those travelers are probably the last bastion of travelers that is going to return- am I wrong?
International travelers will definitely stay away from countries with high census of cases like the US for at least the remainder of this year unless of course they have work or families here. Maybe they'll all come for the 50th anniversary next year instead.

yonafunu

Hi guys ! I'm french man living in France, excuse my english ;)

After two WDW trips in 2018 and 2019, my girlfriend and i are thinking about cancel our trip in Japan to come again in florida in August.
Just my 2 cents about the reopening :
- As an european, my fears is about the reopening of the borders. We don't know if we will can take a plane this summer. I don't know about the news in USA, i know Trump closed all the borders (it should be until the 16/17 April...but now ?)
- I think if WDW opens in June or July, it will be complicated to have suffisient people in the parks to make enough money. Maybe i'm wrong, but i think strangers from outside USA are in majority in the parks. When i was there, there was a lot of asians and european. I know, it is better than nothing, but not sure Disney we will open to lost money and to risk public health.

Anyway, we are planning to come, we are booking all with insurance and free cancellation. Hoping this *ng Covid will go away, maybe with higher temperature and dryness in Europe/USA ;)

Take care !

edit : wrong date ;)

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
- temperature scans (2 issues here, you can have the virus without symptoms and I suspect potential false readings in Florida heat and with sunburns etc - also how much will this hold up park entrance queues of people that are supposed to be 6ft apart?)

- masks (how do you wear a mask at disney... Florida summer heat, by the pools laying out in the sun, in the pools, on a coaster, when you eat, take photos etc.)

-social distancing (virtual queues still queue up people together within 6ft, busses, monorails, boats, counter service lines, shows, fireworks, bathrooms, character meets which may not happen anytime soon, waiting to get in the parks, etc. and people touch everything everywhere they can’t disinfect everything constantly)

I’m just not seeing how this is going to work at all at a disney park. Anything they do is going to be more of a facade of safety and may cause a lot of additional problems.

curious to what others think here

drew81

- temperature scans (2 issues here, you can have the virus without symptoms and I suspect potential false readings in Florida heat and with sunburns etc - also how much will this hold up park entrance queues of people that are supposed to be 6ft apart?)

- masks (how do you wear a mask at disney... Florida summer heat, by the pools laying out in the sun, in the pools, on a coaster, when you eat, take photos etc.)

-social distancing (virtual queues still queue up people together within 6ft, busses, monorails, boats, counter service lines, shows, fireworks, bathrooms, character meets which may not happen anytime soon, waiting to get in the parks, etc. and people touch everything everywhere they can’t disinfect everything constantly)

I’m just not seeing how this is going to work at all at a disney park. Anything they do is going to be more of a facade of safety and may cause a lot of additional problems.

curious to what others think here

You make many valid points. I wonder about character meets. Even if they have them and institute a no touching rule, how are they going to stop children from running to the characters and touching them? Put the character or guests behind a barrier? Not a good look if they still want to sell PhotoPass pictures. And there’s the whole question of autograph books and pens being passed around from guests to characters.

Lilofan

You make many valid points. I wonder about character meets. Even if they have them and institute a no touching rule, how are they going to stop children from running to the characters and touching them? Put the character or guests behind a barrier? Not a good look if they still want to sell PhotoPass pictures. And there’s the whole question of autograph books and pens being passed around from guests to characters.
Can't see character meet and greet happening when parks open slowly. That means some staff may still be furloughed or laid off. That's reality.

HongKongFooy

temperature scans (2 issues here, you can have the virus without symptoms

I keep seeing that; at least 20 posters bring that up in defeated voice.

It's a tool to generally identify the obvious cases. Just like a security camera will not stop all shoplifting. It helps. If it identifies 3 out of 10 I'll take it. If it even finds 1 out if 10 that, too, is a keeper and well worth the effort.

Scans can be done in bulk and if implemented like at Asian airports will not affect the amount of time to enter a park.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I keep seeing that; at least 20 posters bring that up in defeated voice.

It's a tool to generally identify the obvious cases. Just like a security camera will not stop all shoplifting. It helps. If it identifies 3 out of 10 I'll take it. If it even finds 1 out if 10 that, too, is a keeper and well worth the effort.

Scans can be done in bulk and if implemented like at Asian airports will not affect the amount of time to enter a park.

I get what you are saying but if 1 out of 10 people are running a fever going into Disney with the virus... we got a problem and it shouldn't even be open

I think we need some way to test everyone to see if they've had it or are immune to it already and then if they carry that card or whatever it is for proof of that, they can bypass the craziness with temp checks, masks, social distancing, etc.

HongKongFooy

I want to add more about the concerns of a temp scanner possibly adversely affecting park entry waiting times:

The ones I have seen we just fast-walk, in bulk, right past like we're late meeting someone. The scans do not hold up normal flow of mass walkers.

richiejv

International travelers will definitely stay away from countries with high census of cases like the US for at least the remainder of this year unless of course they have work or families here. Maybe they'll all come for the 50th anniversary next year instead.

Speaking as a European with plans to come over later this year, I can confirm that this isn't true.

Last edited by a moderator:

EOD K9

Green screens and you insert the character of your choice. You’ll also have the option of pre-autographed books.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I want basic safety precautions. Temperature screening, mandatory mask, no firework/theater shows, reduced hours, and heavy disinfecting.
You may get temperature screenings....but they’re really just a headfake (like bag checks)...they prove nothing with this.

Masks in Florida just won’t play - at least not for long.

Agree on fireworks and theaters

Probably reduced hours though I still don’t see what that solves?

Disinfecting will be done but I don’t see how it’s in real time?

Overall we’ll wait and see just what can and will be done. Remember that both Japan and China are way more accepting of the measures you’re proposing...as is the climate..:and no opening in sight for them. Very telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom