WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

The people i saw at walmart ignoring them the most were walmart employees getting stuff for curb side delivery.
I had the same experience at Walmart and BJs too---Several employees walking the wrong way and/or not wearing face masks.
I live in MA - where Walmart has already closed 2 stores because of outbreaks among employees - the totally different Walmart I was at today was disgraceful. They apparently aren't supplying their employees with masks, as I saw 2 who only had on bandannas. There were zero arrows marking aisle traffic directions. There was no one keeping track of how many people were in the store, and it felt mobbed. Most people seemed to be out to enjoy browsing and spending time in the store, rather than getting what they need and leaving - which is what we're supposed to be doing. They left the stands of last-minute items up in main aisle as you approach the registers, so that entire area was a mass of people who were waiting to check out, because per the usual Walmart strategy, they didn't have enough cashiers on duty. Our state is in phase 1 of re-opening. If today's visit to Walmart was any indication...it's NOT going to go well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They will not. Immunity from lawsuits won’t matter if your brand is tarnished by a severe and preventable outbreak on property.
An outbreak linked to WDW would be bad PR. I posted in the other thread the example that‘s brought up repeatedly today about how Philadelphia held a parade during the Spanish flu pandemic right before the second wave. Disney doesn‘t want people talking about the WDW Covid-19 outbreak for the next hundred years.

I think they are also worried about the brand being tarnished because of a less than desirable experience. There’s a lot of logistics to work out with these changes and if the execution is poor it could permanently alienate current/future customers. People know going in there’s going to be restrictions and a modified experience but if it’s a complete “goat rodeo” to get on rides, eat, get from place to place, etc...and they are not lowering the price it could leave a really bad taste. They are going slow and hopefully there’s lots of planning and logistics being worked out.

MickeyLuv'r

Not trying to be crass, but the quote no s=&@ Sherlock quote comes to mind. I wasn't stating anything about the parks in that post. Talking about people. I've had enough marketing classes to understand basic business economics.

Er, okay.
I was responding to the thread topic.

Though I quoted you, I was really responding to general idea of your post, which has appeared a number of times I this thread, plus a number of times on the bigger thread.

brianstl

They will not. Immunity from lawsuits won’t matter if your brand is tarnished by a severe and preventable outbreak on property.
If they were so worried about that they and other parks wouldn’t have stayed open for four more days after just about everything else that brought together thousands of people shut down. When people say things like that do they just memory hole how the whole shutdown started?

TrojanUSC

If they were so worried about that they and other parks wouldn’t have stayed open for four more days after just about everything else that brought together thousands of people shut down. When people say things like that do they just memory hole how the whole shutdown started?

No, they should have shut down earlier and believe it or not heads rolled over the HEA at MK on the last night, which made national headlines. It was also four days in the very early days of the virus, they had some (not much) but some time to spare. Not now when 90,000+ people have died and a million infections. It's a different world.

They are far more conscious now than they were then, given how much more this is a national concern.

As has been reiterated, they announced their closure based on the CDC guidelines - not the state of Florida. If the CDC still says travel should be avoided unless it is essential, they will not be reopening a resort complex that will cater to mostly out-of-towners. Doing so would be reckless.

DVCakaCarlF

No, they should have shut down earlier and believe it or not heads rolled over the HEA at MK on the last night, which made national headlines. It was also four days in the very early days of the virus, they had some (not much) but some time to spare. Not now when 90,000+ people have died and a million infections. It's a different world.

They are far more conscious now than they were then, given how much more this is a national concern.

As has been reiterated, they announced their closure based on the CDC guidelines - not the state of Florida. If the CDC still says travel should be avoided unless it is essential, they will not be reopening a resort complex that will cater to mostly out-of-towners. Doing so would be reckless.
I’m going to respond like my daughter does to me - “whatever.”

Honestly, I hope they open tomorrow. I was there on the last day and took in every minute. They had a ton of hand wash stations, etc. all over, so the only things going to “roll” are my eyes at the “it’s too early” campaign.

Getachew

Honestly, I hope they open tomorrow. I was there on the last day and took in every minute. They had a ton of hand wash stations, etc. all over, so the only things going to “roll” are my eyes at the “it’s too early” campaign.

As if there aren't any differences between now and early March.

Ksearcy

I live in a subdivision just outside the Magic Kingdom. The Disney employees I have heard from in my neighborhood (including one who is working through the pandemic) say they have heard absolutely nothing thus far.....crickets!!!! They aren't even hearing any kind of credible rumors.....nothing. So I'm not sure anything is imminent. Of course that could change quickly.

TrojanUSC

You mean like how the president of WDW who was in the park for HEA and participated in the Social media video was recently promoted to the highest job in the parks segment?

It was realized that it was a mistake shortly thereafter, but nobody internally was happy about it.

I was there the last week also. If you think things in this country are the same as then or that Disney can reopen now without waiting a bit longer and without serious changes into their protocol, you should really watch the news more.

As far as hand washing stations, is not a food borne illness or norovirus. While handwashing can be somewhat effective, the vast majority of transmissions are via airborne droplets.

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t care if they open with 1% capacity and charge a premium for it...I just want them to start to open, so they’ll eventually work towards a complete opening. I’m sure Springs today will be awkward, but it’s getting them in a direction to going back to, somewhat, normal.

peter11435

It was realized that it was a mistake shortly thereafter, but nobody internally was happy about it.

Realizing it was a mistake and “heads rolling” are very different things.

Yes, they were unhappy about the negative PR the event started to bring. So they pulled their own PR to avoid as much focus as they could.

But then they promoted the executive who was present, responsible, and the star of the final night PR.

The optics of that is that they are less upset that they held the event, and more upset at those who criticized it.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I live in a subdivision just outside the Magic Kingdom. The Disney employees I have heard from in my neighborhood (including one who is working through the pandemic) say they have heard absolutely nothing thus far.....crickets!!!! They aren't even hearing any kind of credible rumors.....nothing. So I'm not sure anything is imminent. Of course that could change quickly.
Nice. We are considering moving there in a few years. Please update us here as soon as you hear a peep.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Realizing it was a mistake and “heads rolling” are very different things.

Yes, they were unhappy about the negative PR the event started to bring. So they pulled their own PR to avoid as much focus as they could.

But then they promoted the executive who was present, responsible, and the star of the final night PR.

The optics of that is that they are less upset that they held the event, and more upset at those who criticized it.
It became clear that weekend that Disney had stayed open 1 day too long. The parks were sparsely attended, and most other mass gatherings had ended the day before.

But in the heat of the moment when on Wednesday morning everything is fine and by the weekend everything is canceled with no new information except Tom Hanks and some NBA player catching it, it would have been ridiculous to hold someone accountable for missing the optimal closure date by 1 day.

Purduevian

I've seen this in multiple places, why does everyone assume EPOCT will be the last park to open? Honestly to me it seems like it should be the first park to open:

-Extremely large both in total acres and pedestrian path space
-Locals will most likely be the first guest returning, WS restaurants will make good money during this time compared to other parks
-Only park I could see having a night time show with social distancing due to extremely large viewing area
-No extreme high in demand ride (FOP, ROTR, peter pan) that will cause extremely long lines with the 6 foot rule.
-Tons of room for extended queues for almost all attractions
-No "interactive" rides that cause people to touch things (Buzz/TSMM)
-Most rides seem easy to social distance
--Omnimovers can easily load every other or every third
--Test Track and Mission Space 1 party per vehicle
--Frozen and Soarin get tricky

Jrb1979

I've seen this in multiple places, why does everyone assume EPOCT will be the last park to open? Honestly to me it seems like it should be the first park to open:

-Extremely large both in total acres and pedestrian path space
-Locals will most likely be the first guest returning, WS restaurants will make good money during this time compared to other parks
-Only park I could see having a night time show with social distancing due to extremely large viewing area
-No extreme high in demand ride (FOP, ROTR, peter pan) that will cause extremely long lines with the 6 foot rule.
-Tons of room for extended queues for almost all attractions
-No "interactive" rides that cause people to touch things (Buzz/TSMM)
-Most rides seem easy to social distance
--Omnimovers can easily load every other or every third
--Test Track and Mission Space 1 party per vehicle
--Frozen and Soarin get tricky
It will be the last to open cause of the construction going on. A lot of the pathways are narrow right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom