WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tirian

At this point, I’d be satisfied with the MK and Fantasia Gardens minigolf.

Disney will carefully open their parks, and attendance will be low for a while, but they’ll bounce back when a vaccine is widely available. Meanwhile, I’ll happily pay twice the current price for 2-day MK ticket if there’s no Fastpass, no dining reservations, 1/4 the normal crowd levels, and a fully functioning park that doesn’t artificially inflate queues the way they’ve been manipulating FP+.

Jrb1979

The treatment regimen for flu for the most part is rest, fluids, and OTC painkillers/fever reducers. There are some antivirals but those are only given in severe cases (such as tamiflu - and most people present with symptons too late for tamiflu to be effective). For 80-85T% of cases of COVID-19, the treatment course is the same.

They may find an antiviral that works (and the first double blind study of Remdisiver that was published today is certainly progress), but anti-virals aren't going to be developed overnight. We have to learn to live with this thing. Unfortunately, 21st century humans and people that live in western democracies aren't conditioned to be kept from daily like like we have been and I don't see how it goes on much longer. I totally agree we must ease back into full participation as a way to control hot spots and flare ups, but I don't think that the modern economic society we have built can continue to function much longer in this status.
I'm not against reopening everything but keeping physical distancing like we have been doing in stores I can see staying for awhile.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We will have to agree to disagree on this. I respect your opinion but society can't go on for multiple years like this hoping for a therapeutic or vaccine.

There has never been a vaccine developed that is effective against a coronavirus - I don't understand why people think this one will be different. Even the flu vaccine has limited effectiveness and only blunts the effects, it doesn't prevent you from getting the flu. A COVID-19 vaccine would be no different. Evidence is forming that this isn't MMR/Polio/Smallpox where you can become inoculated from it.
I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of your points...

But I disagree with this “we CAN’T” line of thinking.

“We can’t” sound a lot like “we can’t get back to chasing money the way we’ve let that mutate over 50 years on us...”

So what if that’s not entirely possible anymore? From what I’ve seen in my overanalytical years on this space rock...That’s not a fantastic, flaw proof system anyway.

Just saying

bryanfze55

RE. Underreporting VS Over-reporting...

In truth, the “hit by train” crowd that also tested positive for COVID-19 is likely statistically insignificant.

The crowd that “died at home” is probably also pretty small. Most people go to the hospital beforehand. Will there be some underreporting based on this? Yes, but not enough to significantly sway the mortality rate. In the US, this is the theory why deaths are being underreported. If there are further theories over in the UK, I’m not aware of them.

What does significantly sway the mortality rate is the fact that the true number of cases is likely an order of magnitude greater than the number of confirmed cases. While there were questions around the California antibody tests, the New York ones seemed to be pretty well-accepted. Extrapolated out, they showed there could be 2.7 million cases in NYC... it might not be that number, but it’s probably within a range...

So mortality rate of .5% in NYC? That would be roughly 5x influenza, which would be expected given COVID-19 is 3x as transmissible and also more lethal in the elderly than influenza.

All in all, there’s still so much we don’t know. It’s worse than the flu, simply from the transmissibility aspect. And it warrants increased caution like masks and hygiene and social distancing where possible... I am doing all those things, as I hope we all are. But it does not warrant closing the lawn and garden section at Wal-Mart to prevent free people from buying seeds to plant a garden.

tirian

I'm at the point where if people don't do as they're asked, they should be refused as a customer. No shirt/No shoes/No mask = no service.

I’m concerned about the growing public confidence in normal masks, which are better than nothing but also block only about 5% of diseases and don’t block Covid-19 at all. If it’s not an N-95 mask, it’s not protecting people from coronavirus.

People need the masks and distancing.

Don’t misunderstand this as cynicism: in my circle of friends, I‘m one of the people who wishes we could stay in lockdown for another month, even though I know that’s not economically feasible. And every time I see Californians and Floridians crowding beaches, I think it’s just an example of survival of the fittest. ;)

CaptainAmerica

Don’t misunderstand this as cynicism: in my circle of friends, I‘m one of the people who wishes we could stay in lockdown for another month, even though I know that’s not economically feasible. And every time I see Californians and Floridians crowding beaches, I think it’s just an example of survival of the fittest. ;)
Californians and Floridians are not "crowding beaches" for the most part. Those photographs are almost always taken from severe camera angles parallel to the water's edge that make the beaches look much more crowded than they are. Drone shots show that people are keeping their distance even on the beach (which, by the way, is a MUCH more open environment than a grocery store).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It most certainly is. We didn't get to where we are by not being able to adapt in order to survive.
I agree. I mean, who gets to have things their way all the time? There are laws, rules and guidelines. People might not always agree, but societies need structure to survive.

I think that those not equipped with the capacity to adapt, are the ones who are, and will have the hardest time. And this applies to everything in life, not only to this crisis.

Besides, people can argue all they want, or get frustrated and angry, in the end, we all will need to accept that this crisis will touch all of us in different ways, whether we like it or not.

tirian

Californians and Floridians are not "crowding beaches" for the most part. Those photographs are almost always taken from severe camera angles parallel to the water's edge that make the beaches look much more crowded than they are. Drone shots show that people are keeping their distance even on the beach (which, by the way, is a MUCH more open environment than a grocery store).

I didn’t know that about the drone shots. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by a moderator:

ImperfectPixie

I’m concerned about the growing public confidence in normal masks, which are better than nothing but also block only about 5% of diseases and don’t block Covid-19 at all. If it’s not an N-95 mask, it’s not protecting people from coronavirus.

You're looking at it backwards...you shouldn't worry that the mask you're wearing isn't rated for keeping the virus out, because it IS keeping YOUR germs much more contained. This is why masks in public need to be mandatory (as much as some hate that idea...myself included).

If EVERYONE wears some kind of face covering and keeps their distance from one another, the risk of infection goes down to something around 2%. Put one person in the mix who is infected with zero face covering, and it shoots back up to around 70%. The face coverings aren't about protecting yourself from the virus getting in - it's about containing YOUR germs. We need to operate under the assumption that we are each positive and just don't know it, so we cover our faces to protect others.

N-95 masks are needed by those working in health-care...we should never want to see those being worn by the general public.

Epcotbob

One of the reasons I think the parks, and most everything else, will open sooner rather than later is because of "Quarantine Fatigue". People went along with it for a while to help "flatten the curve", but now they are getting increasingly worried about the economic impact and questioning if it's really still worth the cost of keeping everything shut down for too much longer.

It appears the re-opening "train" is now moving down the tracks and it's only gaining steam. The only thing that will stop it would be a huge uptick in cases, which may or may not happen. I think many (most?) are just no longer willing to continue to pay the exorbitant economic cost and threat to their livelihoods on something the "might" happen.

wishiwere@wdw

I didn’t know that about the drone shots. Thanks for the clarification!
Another example that has been widely used are pictures of the Guardians gravity building looming over World Showcase. I’ll agree it’s a total eyesore and I hate that it’s there but the photos have also been many times intentionally taken to make it look much worse than it is. That’s what gets clicks I guess. I live here and for the most part, the beaches are nowhere even remotely close to what I’ve seen through various media circles. Also, while we haven’t gone to the beach ourselves, I do have concerns that if we did, our family of 6 would drawl unwanted attention (much like grocery shopping did for our family of 6; my wife was asked if we “really” needed that much stuff...ugh) even though we’d be certainly permitted to. Now that all being said, the person in line behind me at publix the other day was literally 6” behind me trying to preload the belt until I have her the death stare so I do have concerns still lol

bryanfze55

That's where common sense and personal responsibility come into play.

I agree - sorry, maybe I misunderstood but your inclusion of “rules, laws, and guidelines” indicate coercion of behavior rather than personal responsibility.

I’m all for personal responsibility to fight this. I’m just wary over letting a bunch of type-A narcissists tell us what is essential and what isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom