WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Well, I'm about to book my trip for December. Who knows what's going to happen or what the parks will look like then, but hope springs eternal.

Getachew

That’s why I said pay them increased Social Security so they don’t have to keep working...

People not receiving their benefits yet sounds like a great reason to reopen the economy, because slow and incompetent bureaucracy is here to stay.

You can re-open the economy in a slow, and data driven manner. Just re-opening everything immediately is a recipe for disaster.

bryanfze55

There's no evidence that says we won't eventually develop a vaccine.

Eventually, there’s a chance. We’ve never developed a vaccine for a coronavirus, but maybe that’s because we’ve never tried that hard. But historical precedence shows there’s no reason to believe we’ll have a safe and fully effective vaccine anytime soon... We’ll have to learn how to live with it until that point:

1. Protect the elderly, particularly in nursing homes which to date have made up about 20% of US coronavirus deaths.
2. People who don’t want to accept risk can continue to shelter in place, social distance, etc. Totally optional.
3. Recommend the use of masks in public places, though we aren’t 100% sure how effective they are.
4. Practice good hygiene.
5. Allow people who are younger and in good health to continue traveling and accept the risks if they want to. I would personally accept the risk. The confirmed case fatality rate for people under 45 is .2%. It’s very likely under .05% when you consider non-confirmed cases. It shouldn't be taboo for me and my wife to say we’re willing to accept that risk. As for our children, preliminary data shows influenza is likely more lethal for kids than COVID-19 is. That’s the only age group that statement applies to.

The travel industry supports a lot of livelihoods and can’t be shut down forever.

bryanfze55

Where's the increased Social Security money coming from?

Nowhere, just like the funds from the federal stimulus. Idk if i understand the logic here:

-We can’t afford to reopen the economy and just pay increased Social Security for select seniors to stay quarantined, but...
-We’re going to keep paying EVERYBODY a stimulus check and $600/week in unemployment to keep the economy shut down?

You can’t want the economy to remain shut down due to coronavirus and also be concerned about federal spending. It doesn’t work that way.

We’ll have to accept massive deficit spending to keep people propped up during the shutdowns.

Jrb1979

Who is disagreeing with that? We are reopening in a slow manner (restaurants with enforced social distancing, barbershops with masks...) No one is saying open WDW tomorrow.
No but alot are saying a month from now things will be different.

Getachew

Who is disagreeing with that? We are reopening in a slow manner (restaurants with enforced social distancing, barbershops with masks...) No one is saying open WDW tomorrow.

There are some who want WDW open soon with as little restrictions as possible. WDW will be opening up with intentions of not closing down again. Which means, pretty strong restrictions, IMO.

bryanfze55

There are some who want WDW open soon with as little restrictions as possible. WDW will be opening up with intentions of not closing down again. Which means, pretty strong restrictions, IMO.

There has to be middle ground... asking people to come take a WDW vacation and possibly turning them away at the gate due to a positive COVID-19 test won’t work... yes, they can reuse the tickets. But who is going to refund their flights and hotel??

I’ve advocated for opening the parks for the first three months to locals only who won’t be materially harmed if they’re turned away at the gate.

Getachew

There has to be middle ground... asking people to come take a WDW vacation and possibly turning them away at the gate due to a positive COVID-19 test won’t work... yes, they can reuse the tickets. But who is going to refund their flights and hotel??

I’ve advocated for opening the parks for the first three months to locals only who won’t be materially harmed if they’re turned away at the gate.

We'll see what happens. I agree they won't be administering tests themselves, too much risks involved.

Disney Dead Head

I posted this in another thread and this seams to me like the best way to do a soft or slow opening and with out much diruption and something Disney can manage and progress from.......My 2 cents that would be easy to do a soft roll out would be to open the MK only to resort guests staying within the Monorail system. that would give them an exact count of how many people are already there and give them options on possible virtual ques and see how that works and then progress to other resorts as they work out the kinks. Also folks staying at these resorts are more likely to have or use ADR's and they can plan on what restaurants need to be staffed. and or possibly do Dinning like on DCL where you will have assigned restaurants and time for eating as well.....also if the Poly and GF walk way is finished all guests could walk to the resort and not have need for monorail or transportation

Bill in Atlanta

Is your solution to bar only senior citizens from participating in our society(and theme parks)? Besides being very illegal, it's just not a solution at all.
Not at all. Just trying to put myself in Disney's shoes and look at the data through their eyes. With this much money at stake, they have to be studying this hard.

And if I'm Disney, I'm looking first at the direct risk posed by the virus to my staff and my visitors. With that population tending to skew younger, I have to see that as a positive. It would be much worse, for example, if I'm Disney and I see a highly contagious disease that targets young people.

Bill in Atlanta

If that were true, it would reopen today.
Saying "the vast majority of WDW visitors/workers would be ok if they caught the virus" is not the same as saying "the vast majority would be ok, therefore WDW should open". There are other factors in play, including the risk of spreading it once visitors go back home, and the PR component.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Saying "the vast majority of WDW visitors/workers would be ok if they caught the virus" is not the same as saying "the vast majority would be ok, therefore WDW should open". There are other factors in play, including the risk of spreading it once visitors go back home, and the PR component.
There’s many more factors. Including under 65s.

Kman101

I've always expected July. Not sure if that's realistic and it's not even what I necessarily want. But that's what I've felt since they closed. I think it's lining up that way. We have to be cautious about reopening. And folks, whether we agree or disagree with the measures taken, we have to understand this is our current reality and things won't just go back to normal for quite a while. Have your expectations in check when or if you decide to go to these parks.

Disney Analyst

One big factor is that the virus is seemingly aggressive at random. Although it is far more guaranteed to impact over 65's aggressively/negatively, it has been impacting many of various age ranges for seemingly no reason other then they got the short straw.

A lot of studies happening to understand why seemingly healthy and young people with no known conditions are ending up in the ICU and or dead. Hearing talk of strains that are more aggressive etc.

Just so many unknowns with this virus, but it sounds like it's not just a respiratory or regular corona virus that we thought we sort of understood.

Getachew

I've always expected July. Not sure if that's realistic and it's not even what I necessarily want. But that's what I've felt since they closed. I think it's lining up that way. We have to be cautious about reopening. And folks, whether we agree or disagree with the measures taken, we have to understand this is our current reality and things won't just go back to normal for quite a while. Have your expectations in check when or if you decide to go to these parks.

I believe at this point that Springs will probably open in June, as the "test run". I'm still leaning towards early July with regards to the parks (or some of the parks).

Kman101

I believe at this point that Springs will probably open in June, as the "test run". I'm still leaning towards early July with regards to the parks (or some of the parks).

I agree. We will definitely see Disney Springs open first.

But I struggle with some of the possible timeline because why did Disney open up reservations beginning June 1st a few weeks ago? (Doing that gave guests expectations they shouldn't have, IMO). So many questions. Will they cancel them? Will guests just have the Springs? How will travel restrictions impact that? Just lots of questions remain.

Getachew

I agree. We will definitely see Disney Springs open first.

But I struggle with some of the possible timeline because why did Disney open up reservations beginning June 1st a few weeks ago? (Doing that gave guests expectations they shouldn't have, IMO). So many questions. Will they cancel them? Will guests just have the Springs? How will travel restrictions impact that? Just lots of questions remain.

I don't know. Maybe Disney wanted to open June 1st. Maybe they will. I doubt it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom