WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishiwere@wdw

Not sure if it’s been posted already but here are the proposed guidelines.

Edit:

And this link does a better job summarizing the theme park aspects.

Last edited:

Kman101

I don't want to get in a mask debate (please don't), but I'd be very surprised if guests aren't required to wear them and take their temperature. Not sure how realistic it ultimately is though. It may be a false sense of security, but so is the actual security we go through, and we do it anyway. I get those are just the proposals and more towards what they are considering doing and it's just a proposal. I like what I see, but I want a little more on the 'guest' end.

Kman101

I don't know. Maybe Disney wanted to open June 1st. Maybe they will. I doubt it, though.

Agreed. I also wonder if it was to 'see the demand' and gauge that as well.

I doubt it also. I just can't see June 1st being it, but so many are clinging to it (like how many were clinging to other dates even when the parks never promised an opening date after their closures were extended). I get 'wanting hope', we all do, but ... common sense. LOL

If folks can be on a cruise in July or August, it's reasonable to assume we can be in a theme park.

Getachew

Agreed. I also wonder if it was to 'see the demand' and gauge that as well.

I doubt it also. I just can't see June 1st being it, but so many are clinging to it (like how many were clinging to other dates even when the parks never promised an opening date after their closures were extended). I get 'wanting hope', we all do, but ... common sense. LOL

If folks can be on a cruise in July or August, it's reasonable to assume we can be in a theme park.

I think cruises will come after parks. If parks open in July, cruises maybe September in some form?

tecowdw

Original Poster
Tell that to my MIL. She was still actively visiting with my BIL and his wife who both worked with the general public until about 3 weeks ago. 2 days after one such visit, the wife was ill. Less than 2 weeks later, my BIL tested positive for COVID-19. Even after we told her the dangers of visits and coming into contact with them, she was still bringing them groceries without following any precautions like wearing a mask, or using sanitizer or anything the entire time he was sick...and seeing them face-to-face. It will be a miracle if she doesn't contract this just because she really isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.
I can assure you senior citizens have been going just as stir crazy as the rest of us! And, yes, some will even venture to a larger gathering like Disney! As someone else posted, they can have that "I'm not going to die tied up in the house after this many years on the planet" mentality.

Disney Analyst

I don't want to get in a mask debate (please don't), but I'd be very surprised if guests aren't required to wear them and take their temperature. Not sure how realistic it ultimately is though. It may be a false sense of security, but so is the actual security we go through, and we do it anyway. I get those are just the proposals and more towards what they are considering doing and it's just a proposal. I like what I see, but I want a little more on the 'guest' end.

The real question is, are they requiring PPE style masks for CM's? Surgical grade at the least? Or just fabric masks? If it is for guests are they providing them and what kind?

If they require surgical grade masks for CM's the CM's would need to replace them often to keep them viable... as soon as they are damp enough from your breath they no longer work. Many logistics with masks to make them actually work and useful. There is now way they could facilitate proper PPE use / changing masks with guests...

tecowdw

Original Poster
im still somewhat confident it will open in the summer probably closer to june than most think...The Orange Co Task Force met today and said "a June reopening is more realistic than a May reopening"
Why did this message get tagged as an advertisement? Never saw that on the forums before.

tecowdw

Original Poster
I posted this in another thread and this seams to me like the best way to do a soft or slow opening and with out much diruption and something Disney can manage and progress from.......My 2 cents that would be easy to do a soft roll out would be to open the MK only to resort guests staying within the Monorail system. that would give them an exact count of how many people are already there and give them options on possible virtual ques and see how that works and then progress to other resorts as they work out the kinks. Also folks staying at these resorts are more likely to have or use ADR's and they can plan on what restaurants need to be staffed. and or possibly do Dinning like on DCL where you will have assigned restaurants and time for eating as well.....also if the Poly and GF walk way is finished all guests could walk to the resort and not have need for monorail or transportation
I kind of feel WDW opening just for locals and resort guests could be a good initial plan. It would be easier for them to control the crowd levels because, yes, locals turned away due to capacity is less impact full than travelers. As good as Disney typically is on crowd anticipation, this is a whole new experience for them! They have no barometer to go by. The only idea they may get is if Shanghai Disneyland opens in May as rumored. That might give a glimpse into what initial crowd levels could be here initially as well.

For me, I plan to visit as a resort guest at some point within a few weeks of opening. I probably will have no intent to go into a park quite yet. I just want to enjoy a Disney resort hotel stay to be honest. I need a vacation!!
For context, I am a local DVC member so the whole travel issue is non-existent for me.

tecowdw

Original Poster
The real question is, are they requiring PPE style masks for CM's? Surgical grade at the least? Or just fabric masks? If it is for guests are they providing them and what kind?
The Governor of Florida has never instituted a "masks for everyone" order. Rumor is his reopening guidelines will require business employees to but not customers. Several counties in Florida have active mask orders but not under state direction. I believe Orange county, where most of Disney lies, has not issued a mandatory face covering order in public. Last I heard the mayor had only "strongly urged" it. It will be up to Disney to decide if they want to mandate it for all guests.

tecowdw

Original Poster

If they require surgical grade masks for CM's the CM's would need to replace them often to keep them viable... as soon as they are damp enough from your breath they no longer work. Many logistics with masks to make them actually work and useful. There is now way they could facilitate proper PPE use / changing masks with guests...
Why would they need to be surgical grade? CM's aren't performing medical routines. CDC guidelines have never even suggested medical grade equipment in general public.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
im still somewhat confident it will open in the summer probably closer to june than most think...The Orange Co Task Force met today and said "a June reopening is more realistic than a May reopening"
Yeah...about that “task force”
I posted this in another thread and this seams to me like the best way to do a soft or slow opening and with out much diruption and something Disney can manage and progress from.......My 2 cents that would be easy to do a soft roll out would be to open the MK only to resort guests staying within the Monorail system. that would give them an exact count of how many people are already there and give them options on possible virtual ques and see how that works and then progress to other resorts as they work out the kinks. Also folks staying at these resorts are more likely to have or use ADR's and they can plan on what restaurants need to be staffed. and or possibly do Dinning like on DCL where you will have assigned restaurants and time for eating as well.....also if the Poly and GF walk way is finished all guests could walk to the resort and not have need for monorail or transportation
That’s about 2500 or so rooms and 3 logjammed timeshare units...

It’s really not worth the cost of opening for that...
Not at all. Just trying to put myself in Disney's shoes and look at the data through their eyes. With this much money at stake, they have to be studying this hard.

And if I'm Disney, I'm looking first at the direct risk posed by the virus to my staff and my visitors. With that population tending to skew younger, I have to see that as a positive. It would be much worse, for example, if I'm Disney and I see a highly contagious disease that targets young people.
The threat has always been asymptomatic carries. And I’ve seen plenty of coverage of under 50’s getting racks pretty hard. I don’t think the goal is “survive it and spread”...which is the kind of cavalier attitude Disney isn’t going for...
Not sure if it’s been posted already but here are the proposed guidelines.

Edit:

And this link does a better job summarizing the theme park aspects.

With all due respect to Orlando...I can’t think of a more biased place on earth looking to encourage foot traffic than Orlando...

Grain of salt...is the point.
I think cruises will come after parks. If parks open in July, cruises maybe September in some form?
I think cruises may have an “institutional” problem now...interesting to see what happens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Governor of Florida has never instituted a "masks for everyone" order. Rumor is his reopening guidelines will require business employees to but not customers. Several counties in Florida have active mask orders but not under state direction. I believe Orange county, where most of Disney lies, has not issued a mandatory face covering order in public. Last I heard the mayor had only "strongly urged" it. It will be up to Disney to decide if they want to mandate it for all guests.
I’m still taking bets on masks in amusement parks in the heat...

And before you say “they do it in Shanghai”...let’s just assume we’re a tad more used to doing what we want in “the world”

...just a touch.

Disney Analyst

Why would they need to be surgical grade? CM's aren't performing medical routines. CDC guidelines have never even suggested medical grade equipment in general public.

I am just asking the question of what will Disney require their CM's to use if masks are a requirement.

DisneyJoe

I kind of feel WDW opening just for locals and resort guests could be a good initial plan. It would be easier for them to control the crowd levels because, yes, locals turned away due to capacity is less impact full than travelers.

For context, I am a local DVC member so the whole travel issue is non-existent for me.

So are you saying that the "resort guests" in your example are "local resort guests" that are within driving distance? because limiting to Disney resort guests is still a massive amount of people.

wishiwere@wdw

I’m still taking bets on masks in amusement parks in the heat...

And before you say “they do it in Shanghai”...let’s just assume we’re a tad more used to doing what we want in “the world”

...just a touch.
Not disagreeing with you but the post I just made outlining the reopening plans for Orange County make no mention of guests in any business wearing masks but goes out of its way to specify the employees will be.

Just the messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom