WDW Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherm00

Originally posted by goofyman
Originally posted by GaryT977
I agree with just about all of these (with the exception of the smoking, which I'll get to), but did you notice the one thing they all have in common? They are all about people's behaviour as opposed to anything about the park itself.

It's sad, but most people, especially when on vacation, don't care about the people around them. Living in a 'tourist' city, I get to witness this phenomenon daily. I think a perfect day at Disney would have to be a day devoid of guests. :D

Ah! Couldn't agree more!!! It's the people not the parks. I work in a tourist area and you just have to either learn to not let others bother you ( which is tought to do) or laugh at it! Life and VACATION is are SHORT!:drevil:

hey I grew up in westchester...

Originally posted by Sherm00
i didn't mean to offend every smoker, just the ignorant ones that don't follow the rules.

I agree here -- no offense to those who follow the rules. I was never that touchy about cigarette smoke before we recently visited DL Paris. The smoke was EVERYWHERE and it drove us nuts. There are designated smoking areas there, too, but people totally ignored them, smoking in line, in buildings, etc. And I was very nervous about complaining there, because, being an American, I already felt a little uncomfortable and unliked.

The main building where everyone enters the Studios there has the feeling of being outdoors, with each shop/restaurant set up to look like a different building. However -- you are indoors. There were the little signs with the cigarettes with slashes through them about every 10-15 feet on the walls and people were still smoking AND putting their cigarette out on the floor. I felt terrible for the custodial staff.

So now I really get annoy when someone doesn't follow the rules.

Sherm00

Originally posted by Married@WDW
<quote><b>Then they said they received wine on the airplane!
HELLO! They don't serve alcohol on air planes anymore! </b></quote>

Is this new? Delta and Virgin Atlantic both served alcohol this past summer. I had a nice Bailey's Irish Cream on the way to the UK in May and the lady next to me had a red wine on the way home from Florida in August.

think about it if a hijacker is onboard, the best way to stop him is to get him drunk. :lol:

celticdog

Originally posted by MKingdom25

GaryT977, do you think the entire parks should be allow smoking or are you OK with the designated smoking areas?

Personally, I would like to see all of the parks smoke-free but at the current time I have no problem accepting the smoking areas (as long as they are adhered to :) )

There should be more smoking areas. I do agree with not smoking during parades, fireworks shows, in line, in any attraction or in any restuarant. I think all restuarants should be non-smoking. Bars are a different story. My point is, if i'm out in a open area by myself (the garden at Canada for example) i should be able to have cig. There are a alot of open areas that smoking wouldn't be a problem, but then again i'm not a chain-smoker, i can go several hours even whole days without. I do try to adhear to the rules, but i do believe better concessions can be achieved.

homer424

People who force their children to see or do things they are afraid of.
People who use their strollers as shopping carts as their poor kids struggle to keep up.
People who look like they would be anywhere in the world besides that line for that ride or walking around the park!
People who allow their kids to run amock just because they are on vacation.

Donna

Originally posted by celticdog

My point is, if i'm out in a open area by myself (the garden at Canada for example) i should be able to have cig.

Just curious -- Two questions:
1. What do you do with your cigarette after you've smoked it in the non-designated area?
2. Do you immediately put the cigarette out if someone else comes into the area?

GaryT977

Originally posted by Main Street USA

Being outside really isn't a good argument. If you are standing within 5 feet of anyone, and in Disney you most likely will be, they can smell your smoke, and they shouldn't have to. It is, after all, your smoke.

As opposed to BO? :dazzle:

Anyway, this just bolsters the argument for more smoking areas. At least five feet from other humans, of course :)

MKingdom25

Originally posted by GaryT977

As opposed to BO? :dazzle:

Anyway, this just bolsters the argument for more smoking areas. At least five feet from other humans, of course :)

Well Disney can't do much about BO vs. smoking. Although they could pass out Disney deodarant..... (like Disney shampoo in the hotels!) :lol:

mickeyfanatics

Well, personally, I think Smoking should be outlawed in all public places where someone else can be exposed to your cancer causing cigars and cigarettes.

The people who annoy me the most at WDW, however, are those annoying tourists that just sop, the whole fam damily just stops, blocking the enitre walkway while the leader looks at the map.

SpongeScott

people with small babies in 90+ degree weather, carting them around to all the parks and they are crying and dripping with sweat. Stay at home until your kids are old enough to enjoy it, please.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Pet Peeves:

1. People who knowingly break the rules. Celtic, you should be ashamed for admitting you walk around breaking the rules purposely.

2. People who are looking for something to complain about. Had one woman the other day... "Is that a designated smoking area?" reffering to people smoking nearby, it was. "Is there gonna be another long wait here?" from the same woman, and no, the show started in 2 mins. "Do I have to stand the entire time?" from her, and no, there were plenty of benches available. She seemed very dissapointed :)

3. People who don't understand that wait times aren't an exact science and it could be a few minutes longer or shorter.

4. People who put their cigs out on planters or concrete leaving a nastey black streak. Saw one very nice woman put it out on the heel of her shoe and then toss it in the trash, she got a roud of applause.

5. People who take the camera back out after being told once personally to put it away.

6. People assuming I work anywhere in WDW when I'm just standing around in my free time. Last time, I was wearing a wife-beater, an unbuttoned white dress shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals, drinking a coke, and I swear to you, no lie, I was asked if I worked at the O Canada! show. Jodi was standing right next to me in full costume and they went to me!

7. People who film their family on a ride, so that none of them is paying any attention to the ride and the rest of the vehicle is blinded by the spotlight.

8. People who complain about prices at restaurants while in them, its jsut tackey.

9. People who refuse to read maps, and then get angry when they're lost or can't find a smoking area.

10. People who complain about rain.

-Rob

goofyman

Originally posted by MKingdom25

Bravo AkiraRaptor! Even though I would rather see it all non-smoking, I can live with the designated area as long as people follow the rules!

I am same the way Married@WDW. I usually to point out to the smoker if they are in a non-designated area. When I was at WDW this summer, someone was smoking in the middle of the crowd at SpectroMagic. Although he kinda looked at me funny, he moved back farther in the crowd.

I think the key to this whole discussion is along as we all follow the rules, we should be fine!

Double Bravo!

Yellow Shoes

I'm finding it very interesting that many posters object strongly to badly behaved children (I do also, and I am a mom).

I cannot agree enough with the comments about infants sweltering in Florida heat. (they can get heatstroke soooo quickly!!)

And yet, just you wait, within a month at most, there will be a post "What is the youngest age you would take kids to WDW?"

The overwhelming majority will say--take 'em as soon as you get them home from the hospital--WDW is FOR kids--don't let anyone talk you out of this precious experience--our 10 year old remembers hugging Tigger when she was 11 months old--with baby swap you don't have to miss anything, etc.

Yet here we are, talking about bad experiences with kids who are too young, tired, or overstimulated to behave. They are with parents who are unwilling to let the kids have down time because of the big $$ they are paying to be at WDW.

My kids went for the first time as a 5th b'day present. I would never take a kid younger than that. Last year my younger child was 8, and that was even better.

(OK I'm off the soapbox)

People who complain about rain.

(voice dripping with sarcasm)

Rob--I didn't know we could do that!! Thanks for the idea. We'll use our best "whiner"voice next time we get caught in a Florida downpour!!

Erika

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes

And yet, just you wait, within a month at most, there will be a post "What is the youngest age you would take kids to WDW?"

The overwhelming majority will say--take 'em as soon as you get them home from the hospital--WDW is FOR kids--don't let anyone talk you out of this precious experience--our 10 year old remembers hugging Tigger when she was 11 months old--with baby swap you don't have to miss anything, etc.

Yet here we are, talking about bad experiences with kids who are too young, tired, or overstimulated to behave. They are with parents who are unwilling to let the kids have down time because of the big $$ they are paying to be at WDW.

My kids went for the first time as a 5th b'day present. I would never take a kid younger than that. Last year my younger child was 8, and that was even better.

I think it depends on the kid, and the parents. I was just a month shy of 3 my first trip.

I remember a lot of it and they are some of my best memories, ever.

But my parents are easy-going people who happen to be wonderful with children. It was my trip, and I got to do what I wanted, even if it meant that they had to ride It's A Small World for almost the entire day :lol:

And then there are families with a lot of children- do the older ones never get to go until the youngest reaches 5? In a family of 5 kids, that could be a looooong time, unless there is a nice grandparent willing to babysit for a week :) Not everyone is so lucky though.

Unfortunately though, I agree that a lot of people fail to use common sense when bringing their kids to the World. :rolleyes:

Scooter

First let me say this about smoking at WDW:

I am an EX-smoker. ( 3 packs a day for 26 years...quit 6 years ago)

As long as cigarettes and cigars are LEGAL, I think people have the right to smoke them.

The sundry shops in most resorts and Downtown Disney sell them so I think people should certainly be able to smoke them..just do it where you are supposed to please. :animwink:

As for pet peeves..I have a few.

1) People who try and hold 10 or 12 places for friends and family before parades and Illuminations. If I have to wait for an hour just to have a good viewing spot..so should everyone.

2) Those giant, 4-wheel drive, low center of gravity, super-charged, 2 kid wide, 47 storage pocket, duel wheeled, heel biting, get-out-of-my-way-or-i'll-run-you-over STROLLERS. If you MUST take them to Disney World, keep them out of the stores, and yield to other park guests. No offense ladies, but these things are just too big. I have no problem with the small umbrella strollers..they break down easily, can't hurt ya much, and don't take up much space.

3) Last but not least....12 year-old and older kids in strollers. Parents...make them walk. It's good for them to walk. They need the excercise and you're just spoiling them by pushing them around. If they whine becasue they're too lazy to walk...take them back to the resort...you'll be surprised how quick they stop whining.:animwink:

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by mickeyfanatics
Well, personally, I think Smoking should be outlawed in all public places where someone else can be exposed to your cancer causing cigars and cigarettes.

I fully agree with you. WDW should do both non-smokers AND smokers a favor by not allowing smoking anywhere on Disney property. It helps save the lives of both groups.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
More pet peeves....

- People who walk around the park all dressed up in gawdy, tacky jewelry and in attire like they're at a fancy country club.

- People who bring infants and toddlers to the parks and act as if they're doing them a life-changing favor despite their being too young to even know where they are or what's going on around them.

- Waiting in line with idiots who feel the need to sing (very loudly) "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" even though they can't sing and aren't being amusing.

Well, i have one.....and i am pretty sure a lot of people can relate....my fiance and I were walking quickly towards Splash Mountain......well, there is an area around a tree near to the quene and well...all of the sudden I felt this horrific pain in my legs....i mean I felt like I was hit by a mallet in each knee by the ROCK!!!! It hurt bad....I nearly fell, then it hit my fiance.......well I look and it was a DOUBLE STROLLER someone has let take a "FREEFALL" downhill towards the tree.....the person who did it was out of sight...I looked around...but nobody was really looking in the direction...so I had no idea..........I leanred one thing.....those strollers are steady

GaryT977

Originally posted by YankeeFan

I fully agree with you. WDW should do both non-smokers AND smokers a favor by not allowing smoking anywhere on Disney property. It helps save the lives of both groups.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but there is not a smoker around who will spend all day in a park without being able to smoke. I smoke less than a pack a day, and if there was no smoking on Disney property, I just wouldn't go.

BTW - What about alcohol? There's certainly nothing about healthy about that. And while there's no second hand smoke, there are people who leave the parks or PI after a few too many and get in their cars and drive.

You guys need to lighten up a bit. There are lots of nasty habits in the world, and smoking is certainly one of them. If you've never smoked, don't. It's incredibly hard to quit once you start.

That being said, I'd hate to lose one of my favorite places in the world because of such a militant non-smoking attitude.

One more thing, someone earlier in the thread metioned how many people were smoking in Disneyland Paris. If Disney World were to become completely non-smoking, the number of European visitors would drop beyond belief.

lLoveDisney99

Originally posted by Nut4Disney
Also, people who stand in line, and then hold a place for their other 20 friends who happened to be somewhere else until it's time to board the ride, then they all show up and cut in line.

I hate that! We were waiting in line on Test Track, and this group of people had about a million other people with them, and this girl was standing in line for them and as soon as it's our turn to get on, they all run in front of us! argh :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom