WDW Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigggrl

Jer, you arent a bad guy! Those with no tolerance or those who dont follow the rules are....and heres a note....If you dont like crowds, fussy children or strollers, or people in general, dont bother going. You know what its like, and its like me with the smoke...avaoid the situation, maybe go when there are fewer people....
I think if we all practiced more Tolerance....we would all be MUCH better off.....;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As this thread rumbles on the usual suspects are out with their lines and maggots. Its nice to see that as usual the opinionated give exactly that an opinion, not facts not science just their thoughts. In response others have replied with their experiences, both pro kids/tabbs, and against. This is not enough for those who think the sun emits from their rear orifice.
In Scotland we use the term dobber I feel that would be a perfect description of some in these parts.

Perhaps you should remind yourselves of your countries proud boast, "Land of the free" with the new added line unless I hold my opinion to be of more value than yours. Anyway isnt it time to tidy your bedroom.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by Main Street USA
For the one millionth time folks, all of you seem to have the same point, that the child won't remember being there. THIS HAS ABSOLUTLELY NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR ARGUMENT THAT ITS OKAY TO TAKE THEM. Read a little more carefully and try to understand the point instead of imediately typing something that might as well be in response to something totally seperate.

Paying attention might help you see that the child's remembrance of their visit HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE ARGUMENT THAT ITS NOT OK TO TAKE THEM. Read a little more carefully and you'll see just that.

Alex&Elise'sDad

Re: Count to Ten.

Originally posted by Talsonic

Certain things are self evident. Perhaps I just have a keen sense of the obvious? It's a heavy burden to which I have grown accustomed. I don't suppose you could ever miss a point.

The "self evident" argument holds all the weight of the "Oh yeah" argument. Moreover, it is usually accompanied by an acute case of myopia. What is "obvious" when you are focused in too closely often disappears when perspective is brought to bear.

That burden of which you speak is likely your need for a new eyeglass prescription or a renewed perspective with a bit wider angle.

You certainly have a justified pet peeve in parents who bring babies to WDW without the least consideration for the well-being of the child and the other people around them. As a parent of 2 young children, I too despise this practice. They give good parents a bad name.

Big picture now: There are parents who do respect their childrens' situation and the feelings of others, who are completely capable of taking their children out of the closet with the pots and pans and enjoying a trip to WDW. It requires flexibilty, sensitivity to others, and the willingness to forego certain plans and experiences in deference to the childrens' needs and the mutual enjoyment of people around them.

If you are not able to see this, you may need to focus less on poor parents (I know, difficult to do), and open your eyes to the parents who ARE able to do this. They would be the HAPPY families who are often overlooked.

Erika

Originally posted by YankeeFan

Paying attention might help you see that the child's remembrance of their visit HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE ARGUMENT THAT ITS NOT OK TO TAKE THEM. Read a little more carefully and you'll see just that.

An excerpt from http://www.snc.edu/psych/korshavn/child01.htm:

"Although some memories may dissipate rapidly from a child's active memory, under the right conditions children as young as 2 or 2 and a half can remember events accurately, specifically and for long periods of time, said psychologist Nancy Stein, PhD, of the University of Chicago. Current research on child memory falls short because it doesn't focus on those memory-enhancing conditions experiences that relate to children's values, goals and beliefs, she said.

For example, a child may not remember after a month's time a list of random words presented by a researcher or even a visit by an aunt or uncle if the child didn't value the task or the visit. But the same child may remember with accuracy the day a parent brought home a new puppy.

Stein is able to get coherent narratives from young children because she concentrates on events she's sure the children have encoded into memory. "I ask them if they remember in the first place and if [the event] means anything to them," she said. She's found that when 3-year-olds remember events that are salient to them, they form narratives as complex as a 14-year-old's. These memories are derived from events that made children feel happy, sad or afraid, said Stein...

"...Stein's data imply that certain memories that are emotionally important to the child are stored accurately even in very young children. But so far no one can tell how long-lasting the memories are, how deeply encoded they are or how traumatic memories differ from nontraumatic memories. Certainly, individual differences among children should be identified and related to long-term retention, said Stein."

goofyman

Re: Re: It's for the selfish parents!

Originally posted by Main Street USA

Just like your post in the gay thread, you've once again missed the point entirely. I cannot even imagine having to be around a person like you on a daily basis.

If anyone says "I think this," you're right there next to them to tell them how wrong they are, with absolutely nothing to back it up. I have news for you. Your decision isn't always better than everyone else's. You aren't better than other people. You aren't entitled to more things than others...... Heck, I could go on for quite a while with those.

It's also funny how my posts are followed by an explanation of my views, whereas your just say "you're wrong" with no reasoning behind them.

BTW, the next time you're in the world, I'll be the guy standing next to you with my 6 month old having a grand ole time. Why? Because I want to be there, and you won't have anything to say about it.:)

BRAVO!!!! Well done..I'll be right there with you!!. Maybe these people don't have kids and one day will see th light

Lilo

Thanks Erika. As long as the child is having fun at that particular moment, whether he remembers it in the long run is not important. All children misbehave at some point in their trip to WDW, most parents know all the tricks to avoid it.

Worldphile

Ok, I don't buy the argument that just because someone won't remember that they had a good time is a reason not to take them.

My wife and I went to Ireland two years ago for two weeks. I've already begun to forget aspects of that trip (cities we visited, sights we saw, etc.) Even farther back in the past, I went to Las Vegas with some friends 15 years ago. I really can't remember more than one or two specific items from that trip.

Just because I start to forget specifics doesn't mean I didn't have a good time while I was experiencing them.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by happy snapper
As this thread rumbles on the usual suspects are out with their lines and maggots. Its nice to see that as usual the opinionated give exactly that an opinion, not facts not science just their thoughts. In response others have replied with their experiences, both pro kids/tabbs, and against. This is not enough for those who think the sun emits from their rear orifice.
In Scotland we use the term dobber I feel that would be a perfect description of some in these parts.

Perhaps you should remind yourselves of your countries proud boast, "Land of the free" with the new added line unless I hold my opinion to be of more value than yours. Anyway isnt it time to tidy your bedroom.

I returned to this thread, and at the time it was about pet peeves, with a smoking slant. Wow, did it travel on or what?!

After reading up to date, I came to the same thoughts Happy Snapper. We all should agree to dis-agree. That's the great thing about this country, we can all have a position to stand by, and no matter how idiotic it may seem to others seeing it from there positions, we still have every right to continue to sound off.

Makes for good arguments... :D

DanStat

I remember going to WDW when I was very young. I think I could walk, and my father carried my sister.

I still remember it very vividly. I remember sitting in Magic Kingdom eating on of those strawberry popcicles, and we had to move over because this woman was breast feeding her kid.

I also remember being scared to death on haunted mansion! We went back on it, and had a great time though!

I'm still not sure why people object to taking their kids to WDW...just as long as they don't use their strollers as cannon balls!

tybroid59

I went to Ibiza when i was 19 years old .........I dont remeber any of it at all ...........................does that mean I shouldn't have gone .

I dont think so :lol: :lol: I do rember the essence of the holiday and it was great fun.

these threads are so much fun :hammer:

DisneyPhD

Well I'm glad to not have insulted any thoughtful parents. Only the insensitive ones.

You have insulted many a thoughtful and considerate parent, and it apears that is your goal. To aruge that children don't remember things is weak at best and shows that you do not know what you are talking about. Anyone who would say this I supspect would have had a sad and lonely childhood.

While young children often do not remember events of early childhood, it is these events that mold and shape who they are. Family vacations no matter where you go are bonding and precious times for all members of the family. A break from home and a time to get away and spend some quality time together. Becuase of Disney's commitment to families, it makes WDW an ideal place to take children of all ages, as opposed to camping or say Las Vegas. It is unrealistic for any parent to stay home as long as there kids are under the age of 3. And leaving them with a baby sitter can do more damage than bringing them with you. Actually when done right, vacations and other outings are healthy for children and help them learn to adjust and be flexible to change. Under the age of 5 are the most important time for development in a childs life and their events and experiences mold their development, regardless of there memoires.

Main Street and Erika, you both have made very intelligent responises and thank you for sharing them here. ( I always knew I liked you both
:)
Mrs. DPhD

mwitkus

OK - after reaching page 11 I fine myself unable to continuing reading before responding.....

1. The smoking issue. I am an ex smoker. I can't stand the smell, etc. But, as long as there are designated smoking areas and the rules are being followed, there isn't much to complain about. However, if a smoker is not following the rules, that does need to be addressed. If a non-smoker finds the designated areas to be an issue, address it with the facility management, not the smokers who are trying to follow the rules.

2. The baby/toddler issue. I keep seeing a recurring theme here... In my opinion, it depends on the child and the parents involved. My godson and my nephew are 5 weeks difference in age, both just over 2 years old. My godson would have been a great baby to take to Disney because he was low maintenance and could pretty much be entertained by a straw. My nephew on the other hand had a very short attention span as a baby and would have been miserable in Disney. He couldn't even handle going to the grocery store without having fits. If either of them were my children, my godson would have gone and my nephew wouldn't have. It's about the child and the parents. Also, if parents aren't smart enough to realize when their child needs something, there is a greater issue that needs to be looked at, beyond if their child should be at Disney, but if they should be having children at all. And just because a child may not remember a trip to Disney doesn't mean that the parent is wrong to bring him/her. And, just because the child may have as much fun doing something else, somewhere else, doesn't mean it isn't worth bringing him/her to someplace where the parents can have a good time too...

Not every baby should be brought to Disney.
Not every toddler should be brought to Disney.
But - there are plenty who can go and be fine!!!

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by mwitkus

, if parents aren't smart enough to realize when their child needs something, there is a greater issue that needs to be looked at, beyond if their child should be at Disney, but if they should be having children at all. And just because a child may not remember a trip to Disney doesn't mean that the parent is wrong to bring him/her. And, just because the child may have as much fun doing something else, somewhere else, doesn't mean it isn't worth bringing him/her to someplace where the parents can have a good time too...

Not every baby should be brought to Disney.
Not every toddler should be brought to Disney.
But - there are plenty who can go and be fine!!! [/B]

Thank you. (also, not every family, person and inividual, but in most cases we can't stop them.)

Any time you are in a puplic place you will see people who have needs and are lacking in certian skills (ie parenting and judgment in this case.) You are right.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Erika

An excerpt from http://www.snc.edu/psych/korshavn/child01.htm:

"Although some memories may dissipate rapidly from a child's active memory, under the right conditions children as young as 2 or 2 and a half can remember events accurately, specifically and for long periods of time, said psychologist Nancy Stein, PhD, of the University of Chicago. Current research on child memory falls short because it doesn't focus on those memory-enhancing conditions experiences that relate to children's values, goals and beliefs, she said.

For example, a child may not remember after a month's time a list of random words presented by a researcher or even a visit by an aunt or uncle if the child didn't value the task or the visit. But the same child may remember with accuracy the day a parent brought home a new puppy.

Stein is able to get coherent narratives from young children because she concentrates on events she's sure the children have encoded into memory. "I ask them if they remember in the first place and if [the event] means anything to them," she said. She's found that when 3-year-olds remember events that are salient to them, they form narratives as complex as a 14-year-old's. These memories are derived from events that made children feel happy, sad or afraid, said Stein...

"...Stein's data imply that certain memories that are emotionally important to the child are stored accurately even in very young children. But so far no one can tell how long-lasting the memories are, how deeply encoded they are or how traumatic memories differ from nontraumatic memories. Certainly, individual differences among children should be identified and related to long-term retention, said Stein."

Erika, Your link wasn't available .

But...... I read your posting and I can agree with stien's reasearch. I remebr things from when I was very young because they had meaning in my life then others I don't, Its funny because a few weeks ago my family and I were discussing the past and I brought up something from whan I was 3 or 4 and they were amazed that I remembered than and other things I remembered but they didn't. So a child remembering experiences at a young age is not only possible but`occurring all the time. I guess it's what's Important to each child at that time in there life.

I guess we have someone that wants to shove his "opinnion' down other peoples throhts. If he has kids I feel sorry for them if he's not already a kid himself

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyPhD
You have insulted many a thoughtful and considerate parent, and it apears that is your goal. To aruge that children don't remember things is weak at best and shows that you do not know what you are talking about. Anyone who would say this I supspect would have had a sad and lonely childhood.

While young children often do not remember events of early childhood, it is these events that mold and shape who they are. Family vacations no matter where you go are bonding and precious times for all members of the family. A break from home and a time to get away and spend some quality time together. Becuase of Disney's commitment to families, it makes WDW an ideal place to take children of all ages, as opposed to camping or say Las Vegas. It is unrealistic for any parent to stay home as long as there kids are under the age of 3. And leaving them with a baby sitter can do more damage than bringing them with you. Actually when done right, vacations and other outings are healthy for children and help them learn to adjust and be flexible to change. Under the age of 5 are the most important time for development in a childs life and their events and experiences mold their development, regardless of there memoires.

Main Street and Erika, you both have made very intelligent responises and thank you for sharing them here. ( I always knew I liked you both

The goal was to insult the (whom I consider to be) insensitive, thoughtless parents who take their children to Disney at an age where they'll remember nothing of it, depriving them of some wonderful potential experiences and memories. It appears the goal has been met, because only those types of parents would be insulted by what I had stated. Anyone who disagrees with that is someone that I suspect is the one who had the sad and lonely childhood, and probably is giving that to their own children. Clearly YOU don't know what you're talking about.

There are some places that families can take vacations at and these places are meant to create lasting and enjoyable memories.....of these, WDW is a foremost example. WDW is most enjoyable for children, not of all ages, but of the ages where they'll retain the experience and be able to appreciate it. Toddlers and infants cannot do this. Bringing children here when they'll remember nothing of it (unless coerced into 'remembering' by repeatedly hearing about trip details from their parents or looking through photos) does more for the parents than it does for the child and in my opinion, that's extremely selfish on the part of the parents.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

The goal was to insult the (whom I consider to be) insensitive,

You should not be insulting anyone on this forum, regardles of what your opinions are of the way they choose to bring their children up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom